BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RESULTS | McFly • The Singles Rate, Finally underway! Sorrrrryyyyyy.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post Jan 19 2021, 01:04 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Welcome to the McFly Singles Rate.

Lets get this going, shall we? Sorry, lockdown just had me in a cba mood. But now I've kick started it and got over the hardest hurdle of actually starting the topic, I'm gonna get this finished by the weekend at the latest (hopefully sooner!)

So here goes, which of these songs has won? ohmy.gif

THE SONGS:
xx.x 5 Colours In Her Hair
xx.x Obviously
xx.x That Girl
xx.x Room On the 3rd Floor
xx.x All About You
xx.x You've Got A Friend
xx.x I'll Be OK
xx.x I Wanna Hold You
xx.x The Ballad Of Paul K
xx.x Ultraviolet
xx.x Don't Stop Me Now
xx.x Please Please
xx.x Star Girl
xx.x Sorry's Not Good Enough
xx.x Friday Night
xx.x Baby's Coming Back
xx.x Transylvania
xx.x The Heart Never Lies
xx.x One For the Radio
xx.x Lies
xx.x Do Ya
xx.x Stay With Me
xx.x Party Girl
xx.x Shine A Light (feat. Taio Cruz)
xx.x That's the Truth
xx.x Love Is Easy
xx.x Love Is On the Radio
xx.x Air Guitar (McBusted)
xx.x Get Over It (McBusted)
xx.x Happiness
xx.x Tonight Is the Night

SPOTIFY:
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 19 2021, 01:30 PM
Post #2
Group icon
31| STAY WITH ME
[AVG. 4.23]
Highest: M4ngo Ho Ho & Jason (07)
Lowest: Spiceboy (02)

---

30| DON'T STOP ME NOW
[AVG. 5.03]
Highest: MFPG, M4ngo Ho Ho, The Pensmith & Jason (08)
Lowest: Tawdry Hepburn (01)

---

29| BABY'S COMING BACK
[AVG. 5.46]
Highest: M4ngo Ho Ho (07.5); Wall & Spiceboy (07)
Lowest: Tawdry Hepburn (03)

---

28| Do Ya
[AVG. 5.71]
Highest: M4ngo Ho Ho (08)
Lowest: Rossco, Tawdry Hepburn & Spiceboy (04)

Sandwiching this section is the double A-sided single of Do Ya and Stay With Me. The latter finishing at the very bottom of this pack. As a single this, was their first single to miss the top 10 as it charted at #18, however, this was Q4 so I think the release date hindered this somewhat. I also believe this release was the official Children In Need single of 2008. They're both not really essential McFly though tbh. 'Do Ya' is the closest to the classic sound we're used to from the guys.

In between them both we have their atrocious cover of Don't Stop Me Now, the classic Queen track. This was yet again, another double A-side, but with 'Motion In the Ocean' lead single, 'Please, Please', which is still to come. I absolutely despise this cover version. Talk about auto-pilot. In retrospect this probably should've been my -1.

Finally in this section and completing a FULL HOUSE of double A-Sides, we have Baby's Coming Back. This pleases me GREATLY, because this was the song they pushed to radio whilst the other single got largely forgotten about and is still to come in this countdown! I don't dislike BCB... it's just very average for me. This was their final of 7 #1 UK singles to date, and holds the record (not including Christmas songs?) for the biggest fall from #1 in the UK charts as it fell 1-20. Had they pushed 'Transylvania' to radio more, I think it would've fared better. I really believe that! It also had the better video!

+Quote this post
Brer
post Jan 20 2021, 02:57 AM
Post #3
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
'Baby's Coming Back' (/ 'Transylvania') had the joint record drop from #1 for a long time but it's been beaten several times in recent years by various charity singles (LadBaby x3, NHS Choir, Michael Ball & Tom Moore) plus the Christmas songs from Ellie Goulding and Wham! and the post-World Cup collapse of 'Three Lions'. magic.gif

Think I forgot to take part in this rate oops but will try and follow the results. I remember quite liking 'Do Ya' so I guess a shame to see that so low, no other losses here though.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Jan 20 2021, 09:32 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
Did I participate? Can't remember.

No losses so far.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 21 2021, 01:00 AM
Post #5
Group icon
You're literally in all the lowest scorers bar, ironically, the song in last place! Aha. tongue.gif

More results in a mo!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 21 2021, 01:38 AM
Post #6
Group icon
27| THE BALLAD OF PAUL K
[AVG. 5.78]
Highest: Tawdry Hepburn & M4ngo Ho Ho (08)
Lowest: Wall (02); ThePensmith (02.5)

---

26| FRIDAY NIGHT
[AVG. 5.96]
Highest: M4ngo Ho Ho & ThePensmith (09)
Lowest: Wall (02)

---

25| PLEASE PLEASE
[AVG. 6.00]
Highest: MFPG (09)
Lowest: ElectroBoy & Slade (04); Tafty & Cameron (04.5)

In this section we continue with losing the songs that were used as double A-Sides lmao!

Leading us in is the double A-Side that belongs with 'Ultraviolet' which is still to come. The Ballad Of Paul K is pretty much 'Wonderland' albums attempt at recreating 'Room On the 3rd Floor' to fit the darker theme that the 'Wonderland' era was aiming for. The video is very Tim Burton 'Corpse Bride'/'Nightmare Before Christmas'.

Up next we have Friday Night which was the other side to 'Sorry's Not Good Enough' from the 'Motion in the Ocean' album. SNGE is still to come, but this side is almost forgotten about entirely, which is a shame as it's pretty good! I think I should have given it more than a 7 tbh. Deserves more recognition, but SNGE is definitely the more memorable song of the 2.

Finally, it's the first single from their 3rd album, Please Please. This was a double A-side with 'Don't Stop Me Now' which fell out at #30. I find this song incredibly annoying. It was another #1 hit for them though, but I assume that was largely down to it being their big comeback single and having a huge fanbase. But yeah, I could do without this song tbh. One of my least favourites for sure.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 21 2021, 04:55 PM
Post #7
Group icon
24| YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND
[AVG. 6.42]
Highest: Spiceboy (10)
Lowest: Cameron (03.5)

---

23| GET OVER IT (MCBUSTED)
[AVG. 6.66]
Highest: M4ngo Ho Ho (09)
Lowest: Wall (03)

---

22| AIR GUITAR (MCBUSTED)
[AVG. 6.67]
Highest: M4ngo Ho Ho & The Pensmith (08.5); MFPG & Nina West (08)
Lowest: Cameron, Tawdry Hepburn & Slade (05)

We start this section off with ANOTHER Double A-Side elimination lmaoooooo. It's the other side for their HUGE smash hit 'All About You'. You've Got A Friend was the slow ballad cover that they added to the release of AAY. It's done better than I thought it would tbh. It's "nice" but that's kinda it for me.

Finally off of the double A-sides and onto 2 singles which were released as they formed super group, McBusted. First to drop is Get Over It which is a shame, coz it's definitely the better of the two singles for me. The video is great and I feel like this is just generally better than the pretty weak lead single.

Finishing this section off is the lead single from their era as McBusted... Air Guitar. Something about this feels quite lifeless and kinda try-hard. It wasn't what I had hoped for, despite enjoying it somewhat at the time. It's missing something for me but thankfully, the album is better than this song so... WIN.

+Quote this post
Mangø
post Jan 21 2021, 11:41 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151
Just catching up with the results so far. Not surprised about the bottom four although I did think 'Don't Stop Me Now' would be a little higher with it being such a well known song originally.

'Friday Night' and 'Get Over It' are my favourites from those out so far. I think almost every remaining song is a 9+ for me wub.gif I don't think I can call the winner either, I'm thinking it could be one of three, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not the obvious one!

This post has been edited by Mangø: Jan 21 2021, 11:42 PM

+Quote this post
Mangø
post Jan 21 2021, 11:43 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Tafty @ Jan 19 2021, 01:04 PM) *
RESULTS | McFly • The Singles Rate, Finally underway! Sorrrrryyyyyy.

Sorrrrryyyyyy's not good enough.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Jan 22 2021, 02:25 PM
Post #10
Group icon
I actually quite like their version of 'You've Got A Friend' (it's not as good as the original but it's nice). x

McBusted had the potential to be a kind of fun nostalgic project but 'Air Guitar' turned out just being a bit cringe imo. Oops ~

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 23 2021, 06:31 PM
Post #11
Group icon
21| ULTRAVIOLET
[AVG. 6.75]
Highest: Electroboy (10)
Lowest: Nina West (04)

---

20| I WANNA HOLD YOU
[AVG. 7.071 (No 9.5)]
Highest: Tawdry Hepburn (09)
Lowest: Wall & Spiceboy (05)

---

19| ONE FOR THE RADIO
[AVG. 7.071 (One 9.5)]
Highest: M4ngo Ho Ho (09.5); MFPG, Nina West & ThePensmith (09)
Lowest: Tawdry Hepburn (04)

...and in true McFly singles rate form, we have another single that was a part of a double A-Side kicking us off lmao! Ultraviolet is good. I always forget how much I like it until I play it, but it's easy to see why I never go to it as it is quite forgettable. I definitely preferred the other side.

I Wanna Hold You drops out next and this was the first of their singles to spend just 4 weeks in the top 75. It peaked at #3 and spent half of that T75 run inside the top 10! Oops. This reminds me of an inferior version of 'That Girl' from their first era, but without the fun. Nice little bop though. Just one I don't really listen to outside of listening to their greatest hits though.

At #19 is the first single from their 'Radio:Active' era and it is an OK song, just very McFly comeback on autopilot. One For the Radio was catering a bit too much to trying to be radio friendly, but it comes off as quite try-hard. Not a fave for me! The song peaked at 2 and it spent just 4 weeks top 75.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Jan 25 2021, 01:21 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Break the tension
'I Wanna Hold You' is one of their best and deserves much higher! I also really like 'Ultraviolet', even if it basically is just them by numbers.

Both didn't deserve to be below that woeful Radio thing.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 25 2021, 12:59 PM
Post #13
Group icon
18| PARTY GIRL
[AVG. 7.10]
Highest: MFPG & ElectroBoy (09)
Lowest: ThePensmith (-01)

---

17| SORRY'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH
[AVG. 7.21]
Highest: Rossco, M4ngo Ho Ho & Jason (10)
Lowest: Wall & Cameron (04)

---

16| THAT GIRL
[AVG. 7.46]
Highest: ElectroBoy (11)
Lowest: Tawdry Hepburn (02)

At 18 is a song that is essentially the dominant sound of the late 00's/early 10's. Party Girl was pretty much your typical McFly song amped up with those pop synths that seemed to be in every popular song around that time lol. It's a fun song! A bit "basic" in it's content, but fun all the same. Their other singles from that era were definitely better!

Sorry's Not Good Enough falls out in 17th place. I have no particularly strong feelings towards this song. It's good. It was released with 'Friday Night' but was pushed as the main single to get the airplay and video play etc.. It went to peak at #3 and was one of a handful of their singles to spend just a month inside the top 75.

Finally, we have the 3rd single from their huge debut album That Girl. Probably my 2nd fave of the era! Just a lot of fun. This was their 3rd top 3 hit, following 2 HUGE number 1 singles. I remember the video being everywhere at the time, too. A big hit for them!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Jan 25 2021, 02:21 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Break the tension
I love 'Party Girl' and recently rediscovered it. Very generic and pandering to that sort of popular 2010 sound, but it's a jam. I'll also never forget the video.

'Sorry's Not Good Enough' is... okay.

Never liked 'That Girl' at all.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 25 2021, 03:30 PM
Post #15
Group icon
15| I'LL BE OK
[AVG. 7.53 (One 10)]
Highest: Tafty (10)
Lowest: Wall (04)

---

14| HAPPINESS
[AVG. 7.53 (TWO 10's)]
Highest: ThePensmith & Spiceboy (10)
Lowest: Nina West, Tawdry Hepburn & Slade (05)

---

13| LIES
[AVG. 7.57]
Highest: M4ngo Ho Ho (10)
Lowest: Nina West (05); Cameron (05.5)

Into the top 15 we go and we kick things off with the 2nd single for their 2nd era 'Wonderland', I'll Be OK. One of my absolute favourites. It was the bands 4th UK #1. Fun fact: The first 3 singles from their first 3 albums all had 1-1-3 peaks formation magic.gif Pretty nice but useless and fun fact. But yeah, very underrated I think!

At 14 is Happiness. The lead single from their most recent album! Not one I think I'll go back to much, but I do enjoy it. It hasn't charted top 75, but I doubt many people expected it to do so considering they were at 16 years in their career at this point. It's a fun bop though.

The last song in this section at #13 is the 2nd single from their 'Radio:Active' album, Lies. A lot more mature for them and actually progressed their sound somewhat! This was the first of their singles to actually CLIMB to it's peak, where it peaked at #4 after debuting at #23 the week prior. However, it still managed less than 2 months in the top 75... oops. It's a good song though!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Jan 26 2021, 12:59 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Break the tension
'Lies' is brilliant! heart.gif

The other 2... meh.

+Quote this post
Mangø
post Jan 26 2021, 03:42 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I really didn't think much of 'Happiness' when I first heard it. I'm happy to say it's grown on me quite a bit since, even though it will never quite match the quality of their biggest singles. 'Tonight Is The Night' is far superior and quite rightly finishes higher in the countdown!

'I'll Be OK' was pretty good at the time, with its U2/Coldplay style guitar intro, even if I don't go back to it too much these days.

'Lies' is pure brilliance wub.gif love love love the instrumental part after the middle eight!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 26 2021, 10:55 PM
Post #18
Group icon
12| ROOM ON THE 3RD FLOOR
[AVG. 7.71]
Highest: M4ngo Ho Ho, ThePensmith & Jason (09.5); Rossco, Chapman & ElectroBoy (09)
Lowest: Tawdry Hepburn (05)

---

11| LOVE IS ON THE RADIO
[AVG. 7.78]
Highest: Rossco, M4ngo Ho Ho & Spiceboy (10)
Lowest: Tawdry Hepburn (05)

So the final 2 songs to miss out on the top 10 are....

The final single from their debut album of the same name... Room On the 3rd Floor. This feels like it was heavily inspired by The Beatles, in particular 'Hey Jude'. It went to #5 for them and was another big hit for them. Not a HUGE fan personally, I desperately wanted 'Not Alone' as the final single and it would have been a nice change of pace for them! This just feels kinda MOR.

Speaking of MOR... Love Is On the Radio finishes in 11th place! It's their last single to go top 40 as it hit #6 back in December of 2013. It's nice enough and a bit of a bop, but I don't think it's essential McFly. It spent just 2 weeks top 75 as it went 6-42-OUT. Oops.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 26 2021, 10:57 PM
Post #19
Group icon
All About You
5 Colours In Her Hair
Love Is Easy
Obviously
Shine A Light (feat. Taio Cruz)
Star Girl
That's the Truth
The Heart Never Lies
Tonight Is the Night
Transylvania

There is your top 10! (Alphabetical ofc)

Any surprises? What would you like to see win?

+Quote this post
Brer
post Jan 26 2021, 11:26 PM
Post #20
Group icon
'Shine A Light' to win x

'Lies' and 'One For The Radio' are my faves of the ones that have gone out already, all of their essential songs are still to come though.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:07 AM