BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> JUSTICE, The standards of right and wrong
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post Feb 10 2021, 04:39 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

So I was encouraged by Doctor Blind to try and start or participate in more news discussions in this part of the forum that I don’t tend to frequent very often, or at least post in. I am starting a thread on the subject of justice and whether it is subjective to those handing it out and/or how tolerant society is as a whole at any given time in human history.

I’m not going to make mention of any examples in this thread or take sides on what is right or wrong but I started to have a thought about whether justice could be illustrated as a flat line, and that is the standard of what is acceptable and unacceptable. Would that line always remain flat or would it rise or dip depending on laws of the land or human perceptions.

What might be accepted today might not be tolerated in 30 years time for example, and what was not tolerated 30 years ago might be acceptable to do today.

I’m not sure if it is justice that I’m defining here but I suppose I would just thinking about standards in the world as a whole and whether things are going in the right or the wrong direction especially when justice is being served in a court of law.

Anyway I’ve started this ball rolling, does anyone here have any opinion on this subject?

This post has been edited by awardinary: Feb 10 2021, 04:41 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Feb 10 2021, 04:46 PM
Post #2
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

An interesting question.

I think that right actions & wrong actions can be muddied by ignorance; but, when someone comes to know better, they should be able to recognize bad or wrong in their past actions without insisting that the definitions have changed etc. That's a mark of maturity.

As to judicial justice, my view is that we should not as people or as a society lose sight of the bigger picture & goal of that justice. Whether it's removing a threat, or providing education to improve someone. I don't believe in punishment or retribution for it's own sake eked out by the state.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Feb 15 2021, 08:34 PM
Post #3
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(awardinary @ Feb 10 2021, 04:39 PM) *
So I was encouraged by Doctor Blind to try and start or participate in more news discussions in this part of the forum that I don’t tend to frequent very often, or at least post in. I am starting a thread on the subject of justice and whether it is subjective to those handing it out and/or how tolerant society is as a whole at any given time in human history.

I’m not going to make mention of any examples in this thread or take sides on what is right or wrong but I started to have a thought about whether justice could be illustrated as a flat line, and that is the standard of what is acceptable and unacceptable. Would that line always remain flat or would it rise or dip depending on laws of the land or human perceptions.

What might be accepted today might not be tolerated in 30 years time for example, and what was not tolerated 30 years ago might be acceptable to do today.

I’m not sure if it is justice that I’m defining here but I suppose I would just thinking about standards in the world as a whole and whether things are going in the right or the wrong direction especially when justice is being served in a court of law.

Anyway I’ve started this ball rolling, does anyone here have any opinion on this subject?

Yay, thanks for posting!

I don't see justice as a flat line - it's quite difficult to broadly define because I think everyone sees it differently depending on their own lived experiences, though it largely is structured by the society it sits within, which is a complicated mix of cultures and attitudes developed over centuries. Those who have their lives torn apart by a horrendous crime will have a massively different opinion to that of someone who has managed a sheltered life, benefitting from the kindness of others. I was immensely moved therefore for example by the written article by Jack Merritt's father after his sons tragic death in November 2019 - who sought not to 'perpetuate an agenda of hate' but to look at the circumstances that led to what happened and how it could be prevented in the future.

We are taught from a young age about right and wrong, but the world is a lot more complicated by that - so often justice is difficult to achieve satisfactorily.

Of course social attitudes and tolerance change over time - we should recognise that and not seek to judge others for actions in the past against a different set of standards as long as they also now recognise that by today's standards they are in the wrong. For the most part that has been a huge benefit to society, but just because we've lived through an era where they have generally improved does not mean that it could never reverse and we must be prepared to stand up and protect these values.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:33 AM