BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> European Super League?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Silas
post Apr 18 2021, 03:37 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
So rumours that the two Mancs, two Madrid’s, two Milan’s, Liverpool, Chelsea, Aresnal, Spurs, Juve and Barca have decided to create their own „European Super League“ has prompted some harsh And quick pushback from the Prem and UEFA

What y’all make of this? Im not surprised United Are involved given our money grabbing cunty owners but I am howling at Spurs thinking they’re part of Europe’s elite having won literally nothing.

What’s interesting to me is that there’s a split in the Big5 with PSG and Bayern not signing up. Bayern I can understand because the fan groups would set fire to the stadium but PSG was quite a shock because City/Chelsea is involved so they can’t have excluded the petroclubs
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Houdini
post Apr 18 2021, 05:16 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725
I really hope this doesn't go ahead and I feel disappointed that Man United have agreed to be part of this. European qualification should be open to any team as long as they perform well enough in their top national league and there shouldn't be a need to do this.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Apr 18 2021, 06:05 PM
Post #3
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
Doesn't really bother me to be honest. As long as the domestic leagues stay in tact I'm not fussed either way. Something like this was always going to happen sooner or later. The new CL format is absolute dogshite.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Apr 18 2021, 10:13 PM
Post #4
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
All feels about money for me. Sorry not for me. But this CL format is stupid. What player would want to play in this but not play in the domestic, international competitions?

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Apr 18 2021, 10:24 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Announcement

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Apr 18 2021, 10:33 PM
Post #6
Group icon
So 15 teams still stay in the following season?

+Quote this post
Houdini
post Apr 18 2021, 10:34 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
This is terrible news! R.I.P football as we know it

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Apr 18 2021, 10:36 PM
Post #8
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
Interesting. I still suspect this is all politics and ultimately a compromise will be reached enabling clubs to dictate some of the financials RE television rights, that's what the big fuss is about reading between the lines. Looks like this will happen, I find it funny how the brief is against clubs leaving their domestic leagues when this is not the case at all.7

While I get the argument around clubs being greedy, I think people forget that as consumers in the UK we're forced to pay £100 a month if we want to watch even half of the Premier League games via three different subscriptions. Then of course there is the European football rights too.

+Quote this post
Silas
post Apr 18 2021, 10:41 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Queen of Soon
I pay 5€ a month to get all the Prem matches and like 17,50€ for 90% of the Bundesliga. Defo have a better deal than I’d get in the uk.

This is about money. Pure and simple. Otherwise the Glazers wouldn’t be involved. It also looks like the Glazers have signed up United to this without the football side of the club being involved or having a clue. Further evidence as to why the sooner they and their little minion Woodward f*** off forever the better.

UEFA and FIFA currently threatening to ban the clubs from domestic, European and world football. So we will see who blinks first. Rumour is UEFA are preparing a 60€bn lawsuit

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Apr 18 2021, 10:42 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
On MOTD they were talking about players who play in this league being ineligible to represent their national team? I don’t understand that point and I don’t see anywhere in the statement about international football restrictions...

It’s not very clear why this should go ahead, but, I don’t know the details about why the existing European game is in tatters?

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Apr 18 2021, 10:51 PM
Post #11
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
QUOTE(awardinary @ Apr 18 2021, 11:42 PM) *
On MOTD they were talking about players who play in this league being ineligible to represent their national team? I don’t understand that point and I don’t see anywhere in the statement about international football restrictions...

It’s not very clear why this should go ahead, but, I don’t know the details about why the existing European game is in tatters?

It's a complete non-starter. The idea of UEFA banning players from the competitions and the Premier League kicking out clubs is nonsense. It's just a negotiating tactic, as is the lawsuit. The Super League is funneled by greed at the end of the day, but looks like it has been increased by the pandemic. Football clubs are absolutely screwed. This allows full control of the compeition so they can take a bigger cut and crucially, dictate the TV coverage away from UEFA.

I suspect in the end some form of compromise will be reached. Going to be an interesting couple of weeks..

+Quote this post
Houdini
post Apr 18 2021, 10:52 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Surely somehow this plan will fall apart because the thought of never being able to play in any other matches other than in the Super League would stop players from taking part. Imagine as a footballer being told that you will never be allowed to play in a World Cup, Continental Championship, Champions League, Premier League, La Liga, Serie A etc... , no one in their right mind would sign up to that no matter how much of a mercenary they are.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Apr 18 2021, 10:55 PM
Post #13
Group icon
QUOTE(Houdini @ Apr 18 2021, 11:52 PM) *
Surely somehow this plan will fall apart because the thought of never being able to play in any other matches other than in the Super League would stop players from taking part. Imagine as a footballer being told that you will never be allowed to play in a World Cup, Continental Championship, Champions League, Premier League, La Liga, Serie A etc... , no one in their right mind would sign up to that no matter how much of a mercenary they are.

But it seems that it isn’t the Super League that is dictating that these clubs can’t still take part in domestic games (judging by that second bullet point in the press statement), it’s allegedly the Premier League claiming that these teams cannot take part, UEFA & FIFA suggesting that players can’t represent their national teams etc.

What in theory would happen to the existing UEFA competition then?

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Apr 18 2021, 11:04 PM
Post #14
Group icon
All 12 founding clubs in the Super League have left the ECA.

+Quote this post
Silas
post Apr 18 2021, 11:05 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Queen of Soon
Honestly furious at this

While it’s great that no German clubs are involved so I can Continue to stan the unproblematic Borussia Mönchengladbach, this absolutely boils my piss as a united fan. It’s the epitome of everything we aren’t as a club but everything that the glazers and Woodward are as „human beings“

+Quote this post
Houdini
post Apr 18 2021, 11:08 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(awardinary @ Apr 18 2021, 11:55 PM) *
But it seems that it isn’t the Super League that is dictating that these clubs can’t still take part in domestic games (judging by that second bullet point in the press statement), it’s allegedly the Premier League claiming that these teams cannot take part, UEFA & FIFA suggesting that players can’t represent their national teams etc.

What in theory would happen to the existing UEFA competition then?

The current UEFA competitions would lose prestige for sure and it would take away the chance for teams who are still improving to one day face the elite teams in Europe. If West Ham for example finish in the top 4 then they would normally have the chance and possibility of facing the likes of Real Madrid and Juventus in European competition but that would be a thing of the past in years to come if this goes ahead.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Apr 18 2021, 11:09 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Shit completely hitting the fan by the looks of it now.

Also read that each founding club gets £3.5bn?? Staggering if remotely true.

Probably football's darkest day this is.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Apr 18 2021, 11:12 PM
Post #18
Group icon
QUOTE(Houdini @ Apr 19 2021, 12:08 AM) *
The current UEFA competitions would lose prestige for sure and it would take away the chance for teams who are still improving to one day face the elite teams in Europe. If West Ham for example finish in the top 4 then they would normally have the chance and possibility of facing the likes of Real Madrid and Juventus in European competition but that would be a thing of the past in years to come if this goes ahead.

All seems to make sense, but there are apparently 5 extra spots available that clubs can qualify to... but where and how would they qualify if they aren’t playing other European clubs?

I was thinking maybe Celtic could be one of the other 3 unnamed founding clubs perhaps.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Apr 18 2021, 11:17 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Let me just reiterate I’m not showing any support of this idea, I’m just trying to understand the concept better and thinking of all the possible scenarios that would take place in the event that this new competition were to be a reality. As Phil already pointed out, the TV revenues would be greater if they can dictate which broadcaster they show on (if they opted not to allow Sky Sports of BT Sport).

When fans returned, they would have to pay higher prices for matches I would imagine too, plus the extra costs of travelling around Europe and accommodation. Not to mention the open invitation for COVID to spread again around Europe.

My local club Bristol City, which is presently in the Championship, would surely have no real incentive to gain promotion to the Premier League if they couldn’t play the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool both home and away in the football season.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Apr 19 2021, 12:04 AM
Post #20
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
QUOTE(awardinary @ Apr 19 2021, 12:12 AM) *
All seems to make sense, but there are apparently 5 extra spots available that clubs can qualify to... but where and how would they qualify if they aren’t playing other European clubs?

I was thinking maybe Celtic could be one of the other 3 unnamed founding clubs perhaps.

The other three clubs are apparently Bayern Munich, RB Leipzig and Porto.

QUOTE(awardinary @ Apr 19 2021, 12:17 AM) *
Let me just reiterate I’m not showing any support of this idea, I’m just trying to understand the concept better and thinking of all the possible scenarios that would take place in the event that this new competition were to be a reality. As Phil already pointed out, the TV revenues would be greater if they can dictate which broadcaster they show on (if they opted not to allow Sky Sports of BT Sport).

When fans returned, they would have to pay higher prices for matches I would imagine too, plus the extra costs of travelling around Europe and accommodation. Not to mention the open invitation for COVID to spread again around Europe.

My local club Bristol City, which is presently in the Championship, would surely have no real incentive to gain promotion to the Premier League if they couldn’t play the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool both home and away in the football season.

The clubs are not proposing leaving the Premier League, they would still be in the Premier League. There is no way the Premier League kicks out the Top 6 teams, without them the league becomes the Championship with a bit more money.

The problem I have is that the new UEFA Champions League format is literally designed to have Liverpool vs Real Madrid and Bayern Munich vs Barcelona on a more frequent basis! It's just a different way of more control being given to the top clubs. Then I hear pundits spouting all this rubbish about the great pyramid of English football. yes it was great until the Premier League came along with Sky and absolutely destroyed the financial element of the pyramid. Any one who has watched League 1 and League 2 football on a regular basis will tell you that the money that gets distributed is complete pittenance. Absolutely hate that that argument is used to sling mud at the Super League.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:56 PM