Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On This Day
BuzzJack Music Forum > Your Artists > View All Artists > Elvis Presley
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Tilly
January 1st

On this day in 1956, Elvis flies fom Shreveport with Red West to play a Grand Ole Opry package headlined by Hank Snow and featuring Webb Pierce.
Tilly
January 2nd

On January 2nd 1956, Elvis and Red return to Memphis to begin a five day tour with Johnny Cash, up and coming Hayride star, David Houston, and others. And at the High School in Charleston, Mississippi that night, Elvis is billed as ‘’The King of Western Bop.’’

Here's a pic of E and JC together, but not that night, sorry sad.gif
IPB Image
Tilly
3rd January

On January 3rd 1956, Elvis is at the Von Theater in Boneville, Mississippi. He is advertised as 'The Folk Music Fireball' ohmy.gif and is described by the local paper as having ' a natural sense of rhythm along with a unique voice quality benefited from his childhood surroundings in which country music and Negro blues were everyday music to him.'
Tilly
4th January

On 4th January 1957, Elvis drives his Cadillac Eldorado to the Kennedy Veterans Hospital in Memphis for a pre-induction physical that will determine his draft status. He is accompanied by Cliff Gleaves and Dottie Harmony. Later in the day, Dottie flies back to Los Angeles and Elvis takes the train to New York City for his third Ed Sullivan appearance biggrin.gif

IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image
Tilly
5th January

On January 5th 1955, Evis tops the bill at a show at the 1,855 seat City Auditorium in San Angelo, Texas, where hundreds of teenage girls rush the stage for autographs. Elvis is incorrectly named as Alvis Presley on the posters advertising the Big Stage Show ohmy.gif Hayride artists Billy Walker and Jimmy and Johnny and country comic Peach Seed Jones complete the lineup. Entrance fee is Adults $1.00 and Children 50c
Tilly
January 6th

On January 6th 1957, Elvis made his third, and final appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. He wears the same velvet shirt he wore in Tupelo, with a gold lame vest. He performs a medley of Hound Dog, Love Me Tender and Heartbreak Hotel. He also performs Don’t Be Cruel, Too Much, When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again and he ends the show with Peace In The Valley. Famously, he is filmed ‘from the waist up’. Ed Sullivan thanks Elvis at the end of the show, telling the audience ‘this is a real decent, fine boy’, and to Elvis, he said, ‘We want to say that we’ve never had a pleasanter experience with a big name than we’ve had with you.’ thumbup.gif

Hound Dog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSrmdw0FDDE

Heartbreak Hotel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq5YN97z09M

Don’t Be Cruel

When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again

Peace In The Valley

All 3 Ed Sullivan shows, on which Elvis appear, are out on DVD and both the sound and the picture quality are brilliant dance.gif

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/reviews/re...van_shows.shtml
Tilly
January 7th

On January 7th 1955, Elvis performed at the High School Auditorium, Midland, Texas. Elvis appeared with other Louisiana Hayride stars before a crowd of more than 1,600. The following year, 1956 on January 7th, Elvis and Red West flew into Shreveport to appear at the Louisiana Hayride at the Municipal Auditorium. The bill included George Jones.
Tilly
8th January - Elvis' birthday cheer.gif

On 8th January 1966, Elvis celebrates his thirty-first birthday by attending It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World at the Memphian.

Elvis receives a ceremonial telegram from ninety RCA executives, declaring, in what seems more like a statement of hope than of history : 'Your understanding and cooperation made 1965 the biggest of all the ten years you have been with us.' dance.gif
brian91
Great thread Carole, very informative biggrin.gif
Tilly
Thanks Brian, glad you like it biggrin.gif
Tilly
9th January

On 9th January 1971, the Junior Chamber of Commerce of America announces that Elvis has been selected as one of the nation’s Ten Outstanding Young Men for 1970. Elvis has been nominated by former sheriff Bill Morris.

On 9th January 1975, the Colonel along with promoter, Tom Hullett speak to Elvis in Memphis about doing a benefit show for the victims of a tornado which had wreaked havoc in McComb Mississippi.

On this day in 1973, Elvis arrives in Honolulu in preparation for the satellite show ‘Aloha From Hawaii’ and has his first rehearsal with the band.

Elvis arriving and meeting his fans cheer.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

Tilly
January 10th

On January 10th 1970, Elvis begins rehearsals at the RCA studio on Sunset, for his upcoming Las Vegas engagement. He wanted to change the repertoire from his first Vegas appearance, partly because another live album is scheduled to be recorded. He adds Creedence Clearwater Revival’s ‘Proud Mary,’ Tony Joe White’s ‘Polk Salad Annie,’ Joe South’s ‘Walk A Mile In My Shoes’ and Neil Diamond’s ‘Sweet Caroline,’ among others. dance.gif
Tilly
January 11th

In December the previous year, Colonel Parker had read an article about an attempt to raise funds for a memorial to the USS Arizona, which was sunk in the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour with over 1,000 aboard. On January 11th 1961, the Colonel held a press conference at the Hawaiian Village Hotel in Honolulu to announce details of a charity concert Elvis will give to raise money for the appeal. The Colonel told the press, ‘You know, Elvis is 26 and that’s about the average age of those boys entombed in the Arizona. I think that it’s appropriate that he should be doing this.’ The concert will take place on March 25th that year. smile.gif
Tilly
January 12th

On this day in 1960 Elvis traveled to France with Joe Esposito, Cliff Gleaves, Lamar Fike and his karate instructor, Jurgen Seydel. During the visit they attend five karate classes given by Tetsuji Murakami, a Japenese teacher of the shotokan technique. cool.gif During the visit, Elvis goes to see the expatriate American gospel group, the Golden Gate Quartet, whose recordings he was familiar with. After the show,he sits backstage with the group singing gospel songs. biggrin.gif

On this special day in 1973, Elvis attended an extra rehearsal at the International Convention Center Arena to check out some technical difficulties. He would perform on a stage with a long runway extending out into the audience and a giant flashing figure of Elvis as the backdrop.
The show started at 8.30 p.m. and this was billed as a dress rehearsal and taped in case there were problems with satellite transmission the next night. The repertoire for each show was identical. No admission was charged, but contributions were expected and a goal of $25,000 for the Kui Lee Cancer Fund had been announced.
thumbup.gif
Tilly
January 13th

On 13th January 1956, Elvis spends $3 at Poplar Tunes, a record shop near his home.

IPB Image

And later at Humes High School, Memphis, he makes an unscheduled appearance at the school and performs for about 10 minutes at a Father's Night show. thumbup.gif
Tilly
January 14th 1973
Just after midnight, Elvis’ performance from the International Convention Center Arena, Honolulu, is broadcast live via satellite to most countries in the Far East, while twenty eight European countries, linked by EuroVision will see the show on a delayed basis later in the day. The show more than triples it’s announced goal of $25,000 for the Kui Lee Cancer Fund and at the end of the concert, Elvis throws both his belt and the American Eagle cape into the audience.
RCA records the concert in the recently developed quadraphonic format for worldwide release within the month. As soon as the audience has left the building and with the live broadcast finished, Elvis returns to the stage to perform an additional 5 songs to be added to the US version which will be broadcast in April.

At 3am, the Colonel writes Elvis a letter in which he states they have no need for hugging because they can tellfrom seeing each other on stage and from the floor by the stage’ how they feel. He adds ‘I always know that when I do my part, you always do yours in your own way and in your feeling in how to do it best. That is why you and I are never at each other when we are doing our work in our own best way possible at all times’ He concludes with the kind of explicit generous praise that is rare in their relationship, ‘You above all make all of it work by being the leader and the talent. Without your dedication to your following it couldn’t have been done.’
thumbup.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image wub.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

What Now My Love

Suspicious Minds

An American Trilogy wub.gif

Tilly
January 15th

At the Louisiana Hayride Municipal Auditorium, Shreveport on this day in 1955, Elvis is wearing a rust coloured suit, black-dotted purple tie and pink socks as he performs Hearts Of Stone, That’s All Right and Tweedle Dee. Colonel Parker and Tom Diskin arrive in Shreveport and attend the show. This is almost certainly the first time either of them has seen Elvis perform and the Colonel takes steps after the show to forge links with Bob Neal who is Elvis’ manager.
Tilly
January 16th

Elvis had been nominated for a Jaycee as one of the 'Ten Young Men Of The Year for 1970'

It’s 1971 and Elvis and Priscilla attend the JCC prayer breakfast at the Memphis Holiday Inn. At the press conference, Elvis responds to a question about the effect of music on today’s youth. ‘I don’t go along with the music advocating drugs and desecration of the flag. I think an entertainer is for entertaining and to make people happy.’ biggrin.gif

U N ambassador-appointee George Bush is the keynote speaker at the JCC luncheon, which is attended by Marian Keisker, who had been Sam Phillip’s assistant at Sun Records, among others.

At 5pm Elvis holds a reception at Graceland for award winners and JCC officials, during which he conducts informal tours of the house. At 6pm, Elvis and Priscilla hold a formal dinner at the Four Flames restaurant where place cards have been embossed with the TCB logo and signed by the star. Entertainment is provided by Tony Barrasso.

During the 8pm awards ceremony at Ellis Auditorium, Elvis proudly accepts an honour that clearly means as much to him as any public recognition he has ever received.
‘When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books and I was the hero of the comic book. I saw movies and I was the hero in the movie. So every dream that I have ever dreamed has come true a thousand times.’ He concludes with a quote from a Roy Hamilton record.’ Without a song the day would ever end. Without a song a man ain’t got a friend. Without a song the road would never bend. Without a song... So I keep on singing a song.’ The trophy he receives becomes one of his most treasured possessions and one that will accompany him at all times on his travels.

IPB Image

Here's a clip of Elvis at the Jaycees award ceremony thumbup.gif

Tilly
January 17th

January 17th 1956, Elvis performs at the City Auditorium in Beaumont Texas for two show, 7pm and 9pm as part of a six day Hank Snow tour. Meanwhile Steve Sholes of RCA is making plans for an LP and an EP in case the first RCA single flops. He sifts through the unreleased Sun material for the strongest cuts. He informs Elvis that Heartbreak Hotel will go on sale around January 30th and sends him six new demos for a session that is planned for New York very soon. Of the six, Elvis will only record One-Sided Love Affair.
Tilly
January 18th

On this day in 1966, and in the wake of new contracts with RCA, MGM and Paramount, the Colonel writes to Elvis, supplying various business deals and joking about stories that have appeared in the press recently with regard to the likelihood of his selling Elvis’ contract.

In 1973, Elvis flies to Las Vegas to prepare for his engagement at the Hilton, the first night of which is 26th January. This will be his eighth Las Vegas engagement.
Tilly
19th January

In 1972, Elvis was rehearsing at the Las Vegas Hilton. Songs rehearsed but later dropped include Gordon Lightfoot’s ‘The Last Time I Saw Her Face’, Joe Cocker’s ‘Delta Lady’, Don and Dewey’s ‘I’m Leavin’ It Up To You’ and the Walker Brothers’ ‘The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore.’
For the opening the Colonel ordered 50,000 catalogues of Elvis’ records with a Las Vegas Hilton imprint, 75,000 calendars, 10,000 vinyl bags and 5,000 buttons for hotel employees.
dance.gif
Tilly
20th January

January 1969 and Elvis is at the American Sound Studios in Memphis with Chips Moman producing. dance.gif

Elvis and Chips – Jan ‘69

IPB Image

It was January 20th and Elvis recorded what was to become one of his most well known hits, In The Ghetto. He loved the song, was convinced about the sincerity of the ‘message’ and believed it would be a hit. And of course it was! thumbup.gif

Tilly
January 21st

In 1969, on this day, Elvis was in the studio from 8pm till 4am and he recorded the Beatles’ Hey Jude and also one of his father’s favourite songs, From A Jack To A King. He spent a large part of the night overdubbing vocal parts with the female singers.
Tilly
January 22nd

January 22nd 1955 sees Elvis at the Louisiana Hayride in Shreveport, where he performs Money Honey, I Don’t Care If The Sun Don’t Shine, Blue Moon Of Kentucky and That’s All Right. dance.gif

American Studios January 1969
IPB Image

In 1969, Elvis arrives at American Studios early to meet Roy Hamilton who was one of his earliest R&B heroes and in a moment of characteristic generosity, he offers Angelica (one of the songs he was due to record) to Roy, saying he thinks it would be perfect for him. As more than one book has said, Elvis ‘concluded the session with some of his most inspired singing on such gospel-inflected numbers as Without Love and Eddy Arnold’ I’ll Hold You In My Heart. Just after midnight, Chips urges Elvis to try a Mark James’ song, Suspicious Minds, which he is sure would be a hit for Elvis. Later in the day, Chips is quoted in the local paper as saying that he found Elvis to be ‘one of the hardest working artists I have ever been associated with’ thumbup.gif

Some footage from the American Sound studios in Memphis,1969 overdubbed with a early take of Suspicious Minds wub.gif

Suspicious Minds Live

Tilly
23rd January

In 1963, Elvis is at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, completing the soundtrack for Fun In Acapulco, Recording continues from 12.20pm till 3.50am concluding two marathon sessions of more than twenty four hours in two days! thumbup.gif

January 23rd 1976, Elvis has returned to Memphis to prepare for a recording session at Graceland. Felton Jarvis has arranged for RCA to bring its recording truck to Graceland.
IPB Image

Once all the Polynesian-style furniture has been removed, cables are run into the room that has become known as the ‘Jungle Room.’
IPB Image
Tilly
24th January

On this day in 1960, Elvis leaves for ‘Operation Winter Shield’ manoeuvres in Grafenwohr. Four days earlier, he had been promoted to Acting Sergeant. thumbup.gif

In 1967, the Colonel renogotiates Elvis’ contract with RCA up till 1974 with an extension to run until 1980 biggrin.gif

And……………………………………………………………. thewave.gif thewave.gif

IPB Image

On this day in 1958, in Britain, the single, 'Jailhouse Rock' made chart history by becoming the first single ever to enter the chart at #1 thumbup.gif

Advance sales reached an unprecedented quarter of a million copies, with the same number again being sold in the first week of release!
dance.gif dance.gif dance.gif dance.gif

Tilly
January 25th

On this day in 1956, Elvis and the Colonel fly from Nashville to New York as Elvis is to appear on Jackie Gleason’s Stage Show, which is hosted by Jimmy and Tommy Dorsey. Whilst in New York, they stay at the Warwick Hotel on Fifty-Second Street, near Sixth Avenue.
Tilly
January 26th

Elvis opened with a dinner show at the Las Vegas Hilton on January 26th 1972. The show introduces a number of new ballads, including Marty Robbins’ You Gave Me A Mountain, It’s Over and It’s Impossible. Elvis also introduced American Trilogy, Mickey Newbury’s dramatic welding of Dixie, The Battle Hymn Of The Republic and the black spiritual All My Trials. wub.gif

IPB Image

Tilly
January 27th

In 1955, Elvis is at the Reo Palm Isle Club in Longview, Texas.
At this time, the Colonel and Tom Diskin begin spreading Elvis’ name throughout their showbiz acquaintances. Diskin writes to a booking agent in Chicago looking for a TV spot for a ‘new boy’ who he believes will be one of the ‘biggest things in the business.’ He goes on to explain that Elvis gets the girls as excited as Frank Sinatra used to, as well as being ‘as good looking as all heck.’
thumbup.gif
Tilly
28th January

On this day in 1959, Elvis gives his first extended interview since arriving in Germany. He tells Memphis DJ, Keith Sherriff that he’s still homesick and can’t imagine doing anything at this point other than show business,’ whether it’s singing or working as a stage hand. You know, once it gets in your blood, it’s hard to stay away from it.’ thumbup.gif

Elvis in Germany in 1959
IPB Image

In 1956, Jackie Gleason’s Stage Show is broadcast from the CBS Studio in New York at 8pm. Bill Randle, a Cleveland DJ, introduces Elvis and he performs Shake, Rattle And Roll with Flip, Flop And Fly and I Got A Woman. dance.gif
Tilly
29th January

In 1955, Elvis appears at the Louisiana Hayride, Shreveport.

On this day in 1962, Elvis travels from Las Vegas to Lake Tahoe, staying one night at Del Webb’s Sahara Tahoe before he returns to Los Angeles.
Tilly
30th January

Elvis spends this day in 1956, recording four songs at RCA’s New York studio at 155 East Twenty-Fourth Street. The songs include a cover version of Carl Perkin’s current Sun hit, Blue Suede Shoes. Steve Sholes wants this recording available in case Heartbreak Hotel fails, but he has promised Sam Phillips that he will not steal Perkin’s success by putting it out as a single. There are no backing vocalists at this session and Shorty Long, a pianist, is the only addition to the regular group.

Tilly
January 31st

In 1956, at RCA’s New York studios, Elvis records two more songs, I’m Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You) and Tutti Frutti and is interviewed by young New York reporter, Fred Danzig.

Tutti Frutti
Tilly
February 1st

On this day in 1956, Elvis travels to Trenton, New Jersey, for a radio interview with WAAT DJ Don Larkin and later attends a press reception in his honour at the Hickory House. When he’s asked for his reaction to the success he’s had, Elvis says,’ It scares me. You know, it scares me.’

And on February 1st 1968, Priscilla gives birth to a baby girl, Lisa Marie, at Baptist Hospital in Memphis at 5.01pm. Elvis and other members of his entourage wait in a doctor’s lounge specially set aside for their use. A special detail of Memphis police, paid for by Elvis, will stand by at the hospital over the next four days.
thumbup.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
Tilly
February 2nd

Can’t be sure it was 2nd February, but in 1973, at some point during the first two weeks of his Las Vegas engagement, Elvis met Muhammad Ali who was training for his February 14th title defence against Joe Bugner. He presented Ali with a robe emblazoned ‘The People’s Champion.’ At some point, Ali presents Elvis with his boxing gloves which have the inscription ‘You’re the Greatest’ on the left glove and ‘To Elvis, my main man, from Muhammad Ali’ on the right.
thumbup.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
Tilly
February 3rd

On February 3rd 1966, Elvis arrives in Los Angeles and settles into his new home at 10550 Rocca Place, Bel Air. The new ranch-style house is meant to offer more privacy for Elvis and Priscilla. Marty Lacker, who is overseeing the interior decoration, will live there, along with Charlie Hodge.

In 1956, Elvis was recording Shake, Rattle And Roll and Lawdy Miss Clawdy at RCA’s New York studio. dance.gif

Shake, Rattle And Roll

Tilly
February 4th

In 1972, Elvis and the Colonel make formal the change in their personal management contract whereby, from this point on, all income received from live performances will be split two thirds/one third between Elvis and Colonel Parker blink.gif
Tilly
February 5th

In 1955, Elvis was at the Louisiana Hayride in Shreveport. Wearing pink pants and tie with a charcoal jacket, Elvis performs That’s All Right, Blue Moon Of Kentucky, Tweedlee Dee and Money Honey. The Memphis Press-Simitar announces ‘Through the Patience of Sam Phillips Suddenly Singing Elvis Presley Zooms into Recording Stardom,’ adding that ‘ a white man’s voice singing Negro rhythms with a rural flavour [has] changed life overnight for Elvis Presley.’ biggrin.gif

On this day in 1976, Elvis cuts a new Dennis Linde song, For The Heart and performs a truly heartfelt version of Hurt, inspired by the 1954 Roy Hamilton original. wub.gif

Hurt

Tilly
February 6th

In 1955, Elvis appeared at the Ellis Auditorium in Memphis at 3pm and 8pm. Elvis is listed below Faron Young, Ferlin Huskey and ‘Beautiful Gospel Singer’ Martha Carson, whose signature song ‘Satisfied’ is one of Elvis’ favourites.
Between shows, Bob Neal arranges a meeting between Sun Records president, Sam Phillips and Colonel Parker and Tom Diskin. Neal is encouraged by the Colonel’s enthusiasm, but the meeting doesn’t go well. Parker explains to Sam Phillips that Elvis is going nowhere on a small-time label like Sun and that he has already made overtures to RCA to buy the contract.
mellow.gif
Tilly
February 7th

In 1955, Elvis performed at the Ripley High School Gym, Ripley, Mississippi.

In 1959, Elvis attended the Holiday on Ice Show in Frankfurt. He has become friends with a number of the skaters and visits backstage.
Tilly
February 8th

In 1967, during a horse buying expedition in Mississippi, Elvis comes across Twinkletown Farm, a 160 acre cattle ranch marked by a lighted sixty-five foot high white cross, near Walls, Mississippi, about ten miles south of Graceland. The property is for sale and Elvis decides, almost immediately to buy it, making a $5,000 down payment towards a $437,000 purchase price on this date. Renamed the Circle G (for Graceland), the ranch will immediately become a new home for Elvis’ growing herd of horses. biggrin.gif
Tilly
February 9th

In 1964, for the Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show, Elvis and the Colonel send a telegram to be read on air. ‘Congratulations on your appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show and your visit to America STOP We hope your engagement will be successful and your visit pleasant. STOP Sincerely Elvis and the Colonel.’ thumbup.gif

BeautifulAngel
I love reading all these, and some of those clips are great thumbup.gif
Tilly
Glad you like them, Lesley cheer.gif

February 10th

In 1956, on this day, Elvis does four shows at the Carolina Theater in Charlotte, North Carolina. The Charlotte News reports that a total of 6,000 people attended the four shows with more than a thousand turned away. Elvis, declares the newspaper, sings in the ‘style of Johnnie Ray with a little of [the almost equally extroverted] Frankie Laine thrown in,’ dance.gif

The previous year, 1955, found Elvis at the High School in Alpine, Texas. Harry Kalcheim, an agent with the William Morris Talent Agency in New York wrote to the Colonel that he had mislaid the picture of Elvis that the Colonel had sent him, but he agreed that he sounds promising with ‘a very special type of voice.’
wub.gif
Tilly
February 11th

In 1960, Elvis gets his full sergeant’s stripes and throws a party to celebrate.
In an interview with Armed Forces Radio around this time, Elvis reflects on his army experience. ’People were expecting me to mess up, to goof up. They thought I couldn’t take it and I was determined to go to any limits to prove otherwise.’ Of his return to making records, he says ’I think it would be a bad mistake if I had somebody else telling me what to record and how to record it, because I work strictly on instinct and impulse……I choose songs with the public in mind. I try to visualise it as though I’m buying the record myself.’
cheer.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

Four years previously, in 1956, Elvis was at the CBS Studio in New York for his third appearance on Stage Show. CBS gives in to pressure from Steve Sholes and allows Elvis to perform both Heartbreak Hotel and Blue Suede Shoes.
Tilly
February 12th

In 1955, Elvis is at the Legion Hut, Carlsbad, New Mexico. Cash Box reports that Bob Neal, Elvis’ new manager, has opened a new office at 160 Union Avenue in Memphis.

The following year, 1956, Elvis and the band leave on a 7am flight for Norfolk, Virginia, where they play at the Monticello Auditorium for three shows

Tilly
February 13th

In 1955, at the Fair Park Coliseum in Lubbock, Texas. ‘Elvis Presley. The Be-Bop Western Star of the Louisiana Hayride, returns to Lubbock,’ reads the advertisement. This is the first booking that Bob Neal has obtained directly through Colonel Parker and the group receive $350 for their matinee performance. A young Buddy Holly appears at the bottom of the bill as half of the country and western duo, Buddy and Bob.

YouTube clip from around this time in 1955

Tilly
February 14th

In 1964, Elvis travels to Long Beach, California from Las Vegas, for the presentation of the Potomac to Danny Thomas on behalf of St Jude’s Hospital in Memphis, a research hospital ‘dedicated to finding cures for catastrophic diseases of children’ that has been a special interest of Thomas’ since its inception. smile.gif

IPB Image
Tilly
February 15th

In 1955, Elvis is at the Fairpark Auditorium in Abilene, Texas for two shows at 7pm and 9pm. Elvis and his ‘Bop Band’ are advertised below headliner Frank Snow and popular hillbilly comedian the Duke Of Paducah, with Charlene Arthur and Jimmie Rodgers Snow completing the lineup. thumbup.gif
Tilly
February 16th

In 1956, Elvis was at the Carolina Theater in Winston-Salem, North Carolina for three shows. The local paper reports, ‘He slouches, he scratches; he mugs; he bumps; he grinds……..The frenzy, the hysteria, the wild and wonderful shrieks of sheer joy, these were reserved for the remarkable young man with the long hair, the pearly teeth, the stylish slouch, the incredible conceit; Elvis Presley.’ thumbup.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.