Jump to content

Dante77

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Dante77

  1. Dante77 posted a post in a topic in Madonna's Madonna
    You have to love her.. she rocks up at the Grammy's looking.... not great, but it's as if she doesn't care (or is oblivious). She's still rocking the awful grills, and some of the photos from the night are just terrible. The memes on my social media, comparing her to Pete Burns are too many to mention. If she'd softened her face with her hair coming down, if she'd not worn the grills, people may be saying how good she looked. But, it's Madonna. She does what she wants, and I love that. This oddness has just been going on too long. Reading between the lines, it feels like Universal may have dropped the M film project in part, because of the very odd social media posts these last 2 years.
  2. 1. Papa Don't Preach 2. Holiday 3. Waiting
  3. The ridiculous comment: 'I just don’t see her ever having success like Golden or Disco' is what I was responding to. Of course, Madonna will have greater commercial success than those two aforementioned albums again. And critically, Golden was Kylie's country album, Disco, and her Confessions - both of which Madonna did far better, and way before. I hated both albums. There was also a barb from Neil2407 - saying Kylie looks her age and doesn't try to be something she isn't!! Are you joking? Kylie has had more botox and filler than anyone I can think of. AND, my point is, who is Kylie? A grown woman, with a childlike mentality, OFTEN trying to be something she isn't, and thus coming across as inauthentic. I'm not here to slate Kylie or her success, both she and Madonna are 100% legacy artists, but Madonna is a true Artist, and Kylie is a formulaic pop singer, and that's ok (Kylie for me is very much like an artist comparable to Cliff Richards, someone safe, harmless and loved by the British Public).
  4. Joining this debate, and wanted to express my hilarity at any comparisons between Madonna and Kylie. There are none really, except one is the Queen and a true and iconic artist, who makes her art for herself and one is...Kylie. M is the world's best-selling Female Artist, and the UK's too, who will have numerous future UK #1 albums I'm sure, and there's little evidence to suggest Kylie is anything other than a legacy artist now. Madonna's huge success with tickets for her Celebration tour (on the back of no new music), in the UK, selling for ridiculous prices, shows that Madonna needs to do nothing to win over the general public in the UK. This is evidence enough. So for her stage in her career, she's exactly where she should be. ps. not taking away from Kylie, (or her longevity) - I enjoy her harmless, vacuous pop music sometimes.
  5. Dante77 posted a post in a topic in Madonna's Madonna
    I'm so conflicted about going to the tour or not. I've seen M at her dizzying best and I'm convinced that from what I've seen these last few years from her, any concert performance now, will take away from that. My Madame X tickets were canceled, and I was secretly quite relieved; the extortionate ticket prices, the lateness, the labored dancing, and the general lack of empathy for fans were the reason. Also, calling it Celebration (as someone else already mentioned) feels too late, and too reductive. M from even 10 years ago would never have contemplated a GH tour. She was about looking forward, pushing new music (with a nod to her older hits, which were often brilliantly reworked on tour). God, I miss the old M. I've seen M at her very best, and I wonder if I should leave it at that? Anyone else got similar worries? I'm coming across as a bit of a downer, but when you've seen Blonde A, Girlie Show, DW, Sticky and Rebel Heart etc, I just don't know if this version of M is worth the pain! :-) BTW, I'd still pay £500+ to see M rock up on stage (on time), sit on a stool, and just sing - that will never change.
  6. I don't recognise this chart record (I appreciate one can't really take a non-partisan approach to charts), on the basis that there isn't a level playing field. This and for the last 3 Christmasses, my 6-year-old son will daily say to Alexa 'Alexa play Christmas songs' and the very first track that is always selected is AIWFC. If I can't get to Alexa quick enough to stop this godawful song, it will play over and over, but NOT because we chose it. My son is a passive listener and never requested this song. He must of played this track many times as part of a Christmas song playlist. My point is, tracks from the past NEVER had this privilege and so it's beyond unfair to compare or count. I'm all for there being a Christmas-only chart for tracks that have charted before.
  7. Breaking records by moving the goalposts, doesn't seem like a level playing field, does it? Madonna, The Beatles, and Elvis would also have had multiple top 10's like Swift if the rules had enabled all album tracks to chart. It really debases historic chart achievements for me, making new records often worthless and unfair.
  8. Dante77 posted a post in a topic in Madonna's Madonna
    Madonna at her latest, most rude and lacking her overall performance brilliance, is STILL leagues better than artists like Kylie for me. And... it all comes down to being authentic. I've seen Kylie in concert a fair few times, and it was pleasant harmless fun. It stopped at that. It certainly wasn't groundbreaking, nor brilliant. Even during the Madame X tour, there were highs and moments of brilliance. Still, I'm happy that you have a plan b! :-) Does the idea of Madonna version 2022 on tour, fill me with dread? Yes, 100%. I've seen nothing these last few years that would give me confidence that she has the stamina to do so many dates on a world tour. She can't even move well anymore. Being a long-term fan, I still can't believe this is the same Madonna. My first concert as a little boy was Blonde Ambition and from then until at least Confessions, M's artistry was unrivaled. What's happened since 2018 baffles me. And saddens me. Madonna's attitude has always been dubious, and poor but I would tolerate that for brilliance. I just fear that brilliance won't be something I'd see on tour with this version of Madonna.
  9. It's dated a little now, but I still have huge affection for it, and heard it on Radio 2 on Saturday.
  10. This is painful.... This whole era (if one can call it that) is something we will look back on as the dark ages!!!! Sometimes I have to pinch myself to remember how significant and wonderful M's legacy was/is. Being an M fan is like being on a roller-coaster!!!! Right now it feels like we're in a real dip.
  11. Doing a diet with Ed Sheran feels like selling your soul to the devil! :-)
  12. Dante77 posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    Elton's team have become expert at making money from old rope over the last 10 years - and I applaud them for it. Some really terrible collabs, but it's kept his music alive. I do however really like 'Hold Me Closer'.
  13. Dante77 posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    I can't bear Steps, but good on them for throwing everything at this. Why not? And even better for a Madonna remix album to be shifting so much at #2.
  14. I love the M tracks on this album - but not the album's cover so much!!!! :-)
  15. I'm rooting for Cardiff - Please not Glasgow / Manchester - which are the obvious choices (I couldn't bear to see Sturgeon lording it up). I wouldn't mind it going to Liverpool. I'd be happy for Cardiff or Liverpool - both have deep roots in the UK's musical heritage (I know Manchester does too) .
  16. That's great. Looking at that list it becomes apparent that for the first half of her career, she picked up so many noms and awards, yet for the last 22+ years she's won nothing. I wonder why?
  17. Dante77 posted a post in a topic in Madonna's Madonna
    This isn't entirely true. Madonna consistently charted high from 1985 onwards. Into The Groove entered at #4 and was #1 a week later. True Blue entered at #3 and was #1 a week later Like A Prayer entered at 2 and was #1 a week later. And from late 1984 onwards, Madonna did no UK tv either for many years. From '84 onwards it was nearly impossible to debut at #1 for many years, so madonna debuting so high, was an indication of how hot she was.
  18. I love this track, perhaps from a nostalgic point of view, but it's such a fun song and whenever I hear it, it takes me right back to being a little boy - I played it over and over!
  19. Dante77 posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    I'd be very surprised if it's Beyonce - the track is an absolute stinker and super underwhelming - even her hardcore fans must secretly be disappointed. It's an ever-diminishing output from her, I expected so much more.
  20. The OCC make it up as they go along... record companies shouldn't have to request resets, nor should the OCC be moving goalposts for certain artists to get to #1. Why should there be a campaign? That should be irrelevant.
  21. This is rubbish. It's a total movement of the goalposts. It's like saying to athletes who ran the 100m before 2005 that their times are now obsolete because from 2005 athletes could now race the 100m on motorbikes. The analogy is a little off, but you get my point. In the download and streaming era, new artists had huge advantages that older artists didn't have. For a time, we had the ridiculous situation, where the idiotic OCC allowed all album tracks to chart - thus canceling out decades of great chart achievements. Imagine if Madonna or Elvis or indeed the Beatles had been allowed to have their album tracks to chart (even 3 of them). I feel the OCC has destroyed our charts, their value, and that they make the rules up as they go. This achievement is therefore worthless for me - it's like comparing chalk with cheese. The chart and chart records are devalued. I may also be bitter because I will likely never own or play an Ed Sheeran song - I absolutely despise this kind of mediocrity :-)
  22. Dante77 posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    I had high hopes for this, but it's a stinker! I wonder if it will even make the Top 10.... I was expecting iconic after 'Take My Breath Away, but this is dirge....
  23. This is not good... on nearly every level this is not the Madonna that has slain for so many decades.
  24. Crazy For You - Madonna, reached #2 in 1985 and 1991, unlucky twice over!
  25. Waiting is my all-time fav Madonna song.....