Jump to content

My Random Music

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by My Random Music

  1. That's a fair comment about "Smells Like Teen Spirit". However it was evident to see how big Nirvana were, you'd have to be living under a rock to not know who Kurt Cobain was and many of us knew Krist and Dave too. The "Nevermind" album cover is amongst the most recognisable album covers ever. The sheer quantity of people wearing Nirvana t-shirts. I was still in my 20s when The Killers were in their prime so wasn't over the hill yet and I do remember a couple of other songs they did but certainly not all those listed and I haven't heard any except "Mr Brightside" in the last 20 years or so. They were popular no doubt, but they were just one of many indie bands of the time beginning with K. I know the singer is Brandon Flowers but that's pretty much all I know about them, couldn't name another member or tell you how many of them there were. I believe they had an album called "Hot Fuzz" but wouldn't recognise the cover. I can't ever recall seeing someone in a Killers t-shirt. The only thing that makes them stand out compared to other indie bands of the time is the longevity of "Mr Brightside". Regarding Avril Lavigne, her influence on a couple of modern Disney pop singers who don't even write their own music doesn't say much for her credibility.
  2. There are some on the list who I wouldn't consider to be big acts let alone the biggest without a number one. Avril Lavigne had a couple of relatively well known songs but was seen as a joke by most people I know. The Killers have 1 big song, it's almost like saying Chesney Hawkes is a big act. The 2 I would consider the biggest without a number one are Led Zeppelin and Nirvana. Led Zeppelin didn't release singles but all their albums except their first one topped the albums chart and if you ask anyone who was around at the time they'll tell you just how big they were. When I was at school in the early 90s Nirvana were by far the most popular band amongst my peers. The reason their chart positions didn't reflect this is because people bought the albums rather than the singles and those who didn't buy the album would get a copied tape off someone.
  3. I'm surprised nobody has said "My Name Is Prince" by Prince yet.
  4. 5 best: Public Image Ltd - This Is Not A Love Song Howard Jones - New Song The Alarm - 68 Guns Depeche Mode - Love In Itself. 2 Freeez - Pop Goes My Love Worst: Will Powers - Kissing With Confidence
  5. My Random Music posted a post in a topic in The Music Lounge
    The above performance on his show for a start. If Alesha didn't stay in the spotlight it wouldn't be getting this much attention and she's stayed in the spotlight thanks to Simon Cowell. That's not being negative, it's being realistic.
  6. Looks like my favourite number 1 of 1994 is in your Top 2. There are 6 number ones I like, the others being Stiltskin, Prince, Pato Banton, Wet Wet Wet and East 17. The worst one by far is "Without You" by Mariah Carey.
  7. The 5 best: Depeche Mode - Everything Counts Galaxy Featuring Phil Fearon - Wait Until Tonight (My Love) Kraftwerk - Tour De France New Order - Confusion Ryan Paris - Dolce Vita The worst: Kim Wilde - Love Blonde
  8. My Random Music posted a post in a topic in The Music Lounge
    OK looks like they've sold a respectable number of tickets. I guess I underestimated the power of being Simon Cowells sidekick. I won't be going myself at those prices.
  9. My Random Music posted a post in a topic in The Music Lounge
    It's a huge jump, we're talking 3x the number of people who were there when they were in their prime. Where are these additional 8k fans going to come from? OK I might be one of those 8k if the price is reasonable, but I live in London so it's handy for me. If I lived in Birmingham for example there's no way I'd go.
  10. My Random Music posted a post in a topic in The Music Lounge
    Without trying to be disrespectful and as someone who likes Mis-Teeq, is there going to be enough demand for them to play at Wembley Arena? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they didn't play venues that size in their own right the first time around. Even the big American 90s R&B acts like Jodeci and Blackstreet had to join forces to play a venue of that size a few years back.
  11. Top 5: Imposter - Pills And Soap Iron Maiden - The Trooper Jimmy The Hoover - Tantalise (Wo Wo Ee Yeh Yeh) Malcolm McLaren - Double Dutch The Lotus Eaters - The First Picture Of You The worst: Bananarama - Cruel Summer
  12. Top 5: Galaxy Featuring Phil Fearon - Dancing Tight New Edition - Candy Girl Pink Floyd - Not Now John Flash And The Pan - Waiting For A Train Mtume - Juicy Fruit Worst: The Belle Stars - Sweet Memory
  13. Our number ones are the same. I have memories of being a kid in the kitchen hearing this on the radio and thinking wow. It was probably the song that got me started on my journey as a music nerd.
  14. My Random Music posted a post in a topic in The Music Lounge
    The record label going bust was certainly a factor but if you look at the chart positions of their singles it does look like the decline had begun. I get the impression they've been successful outside of music post Mis-Teeq for it to not really matter.
  15. The Whitney Houston record is the other one which would be in my bottom 2. I didn't think much of it at the time but the number of times I've heard it since has made it more and more irritating. I'm not just talking radio or nights out, my wife loves it so I can't even escape it at home. Now a 50/50 chance our favourite number one of 1987 is the same.
  16. My Random Music posted a post in a topic in The Music Lounge
    They came about at a time when everyone seemed to be jumping on the UK Garage bandwagon. I was into UK Garage when it was still underground and didn't like the overcommercialisation of it, but did concede that Mis-Teeq were actually quite good. I think "All I Want" is by far their best single and I bought the "Lickin On Both Sides" album though admittedly I didn't listen to it much. When they came back with "Scandalous" UK Garage was dead but I thought it was a decent R&B effort. Didn't think much of the remaining singles though and when they did call it a day I thought they'd run out of steam.
  17. The 5 best: Malcolm McLaren - Soweto The Stranglers - Midnight Summer Dream Mezzoforte - Garden Party New Order - Blue Monday Kissing The Pink - Last Film Worst: Tracie - The House That Jack Built
  18. Very much so. When I was 17 my 40 something driving instructor said you'd expect someone his age to like the oldies on Radio 2 but he loves the new music on Radio 1. I was adamant I'd be the same when I reached my 40s. Then I reached my mid-20s and struggled to like new music even though I tried to like it. Now I'm in my 40s so I guess I'm not supposed to like new music anyway.
  19. There are 4 songs I'd definitely put in the Top 5 and it's a close call between a few records for the final spot but here they are with the Top 4 first: Marvin Gaye - My Love Is Waiting Men At Work - Down Under The Stranglers - European Female Prince - 1999 Billy Griffin - Hold Me Tighter In The Rain Worst song is a very easy pick: The Belle Stars - Sign Of The Times
  20. "Respectable" is one of my bottom 2, is that one you were expecting to be in it? I was too young to be biased at the time and though I was aware of Stock Aitken & Waterman I don't think I knew which songs were there's until later. I also don't dislike everything Stock Aitken & Waterman did but I have found that a lot of the songs that irritating my young self back then were produced by them and this was one of them.
  21. Yes there wasn't a music video and given Michael Jackson wasn't available to perform on Top of the Pops either the song never appeared on the show when it was at number one. With 5 songs to go I can tell you that my favourite number one of the year is in your Top 5 and my bottom 2 are also in your Top 5.
  22. This made me laugh but not sure it's intentional, "Who's That Girl" was one of the singles that was excluded from "The Immaculate Collection". I agree it's a poor record. I do like the other 3 records that have featured here since I last posted. Being a primary school kid at the time I was probably the right audience for "Star Trekkin" and remember seeing the mad video on Top of the Pops very well. "Reet Petite" was really ahead of its time in the 50s when you compare it to what else was around at the time. "La Bamba" was the first song I remember hearing sung in a foreign language which was something I found interesting. I also remember thinking at the time the singer looked like Tony Green on Bullseye.
  23. Just come across this thread. Looking at the list of number ones tells me chart music had well and truly died by 2008. The only number one I like is Kid Rock and even that wasn't a patch on his earlier stuff. Sounds like I'm the only one on here who likes Kid Rock though.
  24. 1987 was the first year I remember of the charts so I like some of the number ones for the simple fact they give me fond memories. I don't mind the bottom 2 records but neither are ones I'd listen to through choice. They're both inferior covers and sound more pointless than bad. Steve 'Silk' Hurley though is a record I'd put near the top. It's true that house music got better as the music evolved but I like the way its all about the beat and has minimal vocals. My bottom 2 number ones are both overplayed and irritating but I'll wait until they appear in the countdown before I say anymore.
  25. Here's my ranking: Dr Hook - When You’re in Love with a Beautiful Woman Tubeway Army - Are Friends Electric? Blondie - Heart of Glass Ian Dury and the Blockheads - Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Gary Numan - Cars The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall Part II The Police - Message in a Bottle Blondie - Sunday Girl The Police - Walking on the Moon Art Garfunkel - Bright Eyes Bee Gees - Tragedy The Boomtown Rats - I Don’t Like Mondays Anita Ward - Ring My Bell Village People - YMCA Cliff Richard - We Don’t Talk Anymore Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive Lena Martell - One Day at a Time Not a million miles away from your rankings but it seems I'm on my own with liking Dr Hook and only one other seems to not like Gloria Gaynor.