Everything posted by Popchartfreak
-
PopMaster & Ten To The Top II
Thanks Rollo , Jade and Tylky! Sorry missed yesterday I was out and not had time to catch up with it! 39's Jade and Rollo the complete collection! 🤩Yay! round 1: 39 round 2: 39 3 in 10: Modern Girl, Bat Out Of Hell, I'd Do Anything For Love etc
-
Jaz Ranks The 2013 Number Ones
The Saturdays going all Caribbean matching Sean Paul. Not sure that was needed... I'll be honest I barely remember this one and it's not thrilling me as I play it again. Defintiely lower-end of my ratings for the year, what did 2013 Me think of it? He thinks a peak of 63 in his personal charts was about right, and I think he was being generous... They had better.
-
Top 100 Best Selling Singles Of The 1970s
Three more number one classics for me too, bought them all, albeit Abba's on the album - The first ABBA single I never bought as it had a live track on the B side, so I wasnt fussed. I would have thought that I Have A Dream wasn't too far behind the top 5 pure sales too, it shadowed Pink Floyd over Xmas of 79 and think it went gold in shipments. Mud was my choice of the Sweet vs Mud battle in early 74, my brother going for Teenage Rampage. Ironically, Sweet turned down Dynamite which pushed Mud into full Glam as opposed to Tango-Glam (the first two hits) - mind you Ballroom Blitz was a better choice, so it all worked out. Chicago - their best ballad by some distance. Which is more of a comment on the quality of most of the others, bar a couple..😇
-
Jim ranks the 1991 UK #1s
Pity Nancy didnt get the artist credit but it would have flopped had they done that! Unless Jacko had been a "feature". I was big on The Simpson's first 10 seasons, watched them on Sky, and enjoyed the mystery MJ guest spot - playing a character who thought he was Michael Jackson. I'll go so far as to say in their peak no sitcom has ever been better, the next 20 years less so as the top writers moved on to Futurama and that took over as the best. I dont mind the track, but I think Deep Deep Trouble sounds better these days...
-
JSG'S Top 40, #182, 31/08/2026 - the MOTIVATION to BURN HER is ANOTHER story
Hey James! 🙂 Hope life is fab! I wonder if Ella will go all the way here and in the UK chart at long last!? It is a great track! ❣️Katy staedy on top though and a new contender in Slayyter, only heard that a couple of times but seems decent. Petal drooping a bit for me this week, but prob want in the right mood. Sue Me is nice too. Dancefloor I am converted on now, very catchy, and enters my chart! Everywhere up yay, and The Cure higher in my chart now! 😮Be Her nice climb too, and the fab Madonna/Kylie collab. Great chart! 😎
-
John V's 23rd Aug 2026 charts, fashionably late, Jungle vs New Radicals/Michelle Branch on top..
Hey James! 🙂 Thanks for the comments n compliment I suspect you are right about Club To Your Arms but it's still strong! Poor Katy, dropping but I still like it 😇 Cheers! 😎
-
John V's 23rd Aug 2026 charts, fashionably late, Jungle vs New Radicals/Michelle Branch on top..
Hi Sergej! 🙂 Thanks for all the picks, especially the Dolly tributes, what a legend! ❣️ cheers! 😎
-
SSP's Weekly Top 100 ---- Week ending September 5, 2026
Hi SSP! Great chart as always, my faves moving on up (as Primal Scream once sang): 09 11 The Game Of Love - New Radicals / Michelle Branch 5 9❤️ 12 16 Boston - Stella Lefty 6 12 nice to see this do so well, very sweet 14 18 Tangerine - Damiano David 11 14 love those 50's vibes 15 22 These Alarms - Snow Patrol / Kylie Minogue 4 15 16 19 My Mouth Is Lonely For You - Anne Hathaway 8 16 18 20 Howl - Carly Simon 10 18 21 27 Street Of Dreams - U2 7 21 23 25 Watching You Watching Me - The Shires 13 23 24 28 I Knew It, I Knew You - Taylor Swift 3 24 25 29 Fireflies - Martin Garrix / U2 5 25 29 31 Bottom Of Your Boots - Ella Langley 9 29 33 37 Watch It Burn - Katy Perry 8 33 36 41 Animal - Katseye 4 36 38 40 Stand Up - Howard Jones 6 38 46 49 Take Me Back - Kygo / Max McNown 6 46 53 59 One Step Away - Madonna 2 53 54 56 Just Drive - Natalie Imbruglia 4 54 55 63 Don't Leave Me On The Dancefloor - Carly Rae Jepsen 3 55 56 58 Break Up In Reverse - Teddy Swims 6 56 57 60 The Crowd Was Singing Wonderwall - The Script 3 57 58 61 Mad Dog In The Fog - Train 3 58 59 62 I Can't Love You Anymore - Ella Langley / Morgan Wallen 4 59 64 66 Stronger Than Me - Manfred Mann 3 64 65 71 Rescuer - Alex Warren 3 65 77 81 Momma Gets By - Paul McCartney 2 77 79 --- RMB (Ring My Bell) - Aitch 1 79 80 82 You've Got The Love - Dexys Midnight Runners 3 80 85 88 Orbiter - Noah Kahan 3 85 86 99 Still - Karol G / Bruno Mars 2 86 87 --- I Don't Know You Anymore - Stephen Bishop 1 87 On And On man is back with a nice out-take from 76. 98 --- Oh Yeah - Steve Lacy 1 98 100 --- Tastes Like Summer - James Blunt 1 100 cheers! 😎
-
John V's 23rd Aug 2026 charts, fashionably late, Jungle vs New Radicals/Michelle Branch on top..
Hi SSP! Thanks for the picks, glad you like the new ones too! 👍 cheers! 😎
-
The Final : End Of Year Survivor #150
Both big faves and accumated about the same number of chart "sales" for me in my charts - so I took weeks on chart as the decision splitter and Elbow have had 6 runs in my chart.....
-
Jaz Ranks The 2013 Number Ones
Counting Stars is one of my top number ones of the year, a classy pop song, Ryan Tedder can still knock them off, but being largely out of vogue these days it needs a film placement to grab a hit for OneRepublic - even when a lot of his better tracks flop. That said, he's been a bit off the boil this year for me, but I'm sure he'll be back with a collab banger sometime.
-
Jim ranks the 1991 UK #1s
A pet hate sorry! The Stonk just annoyed from day one and got more annoying on repeat plays. Victoria Wood's side got no plays sadly, that might have made me more affable towards it at the time. I did buy the early Comic Relief singles, but this was too much. Donating directly was the way forward....
-
Top 100 Best Selling Singles Of The 1970s
Dancing Queen was an instant number one on first hearing for me, 50 years ago and a bit ago. 10 weeks topping my chart and a real inspirational-sounding obsession till the next 10-week obsession (Knowing Me Knowing You). Bit of a fan, me! The Wonder Of You having Elvis back big, was also a fave at the time, though not anywhere near as big on it these days, but still a good singalong and the final notes are great, there's not enough singers working up to a vocal climax ending these days! The ones capable of carrying it off at any rate 😇 Matchstalk Men had its charm to start with, before it started to grate after a few weeks, but was never a fave. Plus it blocked Blondie's Denis from getting a number one, still peeved. I bought that one 🙂
-
PopMaster & Ten To The Top II
Thanks Jade and Rollo! Well done Jade! 🤩 Round 1: 39 Round 2: 39 3 in 10: 2 Under The Boardwalk, Every Nights A Saturday Night With You, I also said Up On The Roof, but it was covered by Kenny Lynch! I was so sure I didnt bother thinking of any others😄
-
Jaz Ranks The 2013 Number Ones
A good track, I always like Avicii stuff, though not sure how much I rated at the time as it's not played much these days and has slipped from memory a bit - same as Eminem/Rihanna, top 40 it turns out, so I think I'd put it a bit ahead of that one too.
-
Top 100 Best Selling Singles Of The 1970s
I'm not apologising for the next two, my brother bought Ernie, and it's a beautifully-produced novelty comedy song with a great video. Benny was good at word-play, and it charted again in the 90's due to nostalgia from kids of the time (like me, I bought it then). I bought Chirpy Cheep Cheep in Singapore (so these sales would be one higher otherwise) just before we left for the UK - I carried it on the plane with us, along with some DC comics - and I bought it based on hearing in the school changing rooms on a kid's new-fangled gadget called a Cassette. It blew my mind, sounded unearthly. In a chipmunks good way, so many hooks! I had to own it! My affection lasted until the 80's at least, before ebbing somewhat since, but I'm still fond of it. Middle Of The Road had better records though. It hung around the charts into 1972, so it was quite a long run, unusual for those days.
-
Top 100 Best Selling Singles Of The 1970s
I think I can spoil the spoiler - Sylvia's Mother likely didn't out-sell A Little Bit More, just the one week at 2 behind an Osmond which may or may not appear yet 😄
-
My record of the week 60 years ago
Bowie obv taking notes on the Mindbenders hit, not one I recall ever hearing before - though I must have I guess. It's quite nice but it's not the monster fabness of Groovy Kind Of Love. Otis Redding tracks never seemed to get much play at the time, My Girl and Dock Of The Bay excepted, and I Can't Turn You Loose rings no bells though the riffs seem familiar, or much-used, one or the other. For me, theres the timeless classic of Dock Of The Bay, and then there's his other formulaic funk-soul tracks that passed me by. Chirs Andrews obv keeping his songs to himself by this stage, as this could have been a much-better Sandie Shaw song as Stop That Boy. Best track so far though of this bunch. Spencer Davis keeping the usual "1966 hits I dont remember hearing" as we had no radio in the one-bed flat we lived in and I was outside most of the time with my dog and other kids, or watching telly. We lived literally 20 meters from the vast beach of Waterloo, Liverpool. The dunes are now a housing estate, but the flat beach area not quite as suitable for development. Memories of dead seals, stranded jellyfish. The record is OK. So I also opt for How Sweet It Is, a good track and a song I recognised a few years later without realising it was Junior Walker who had the hit. Bit of a fan of his later Motown hits!
-
Jim ranks the 1991 UK #1s
It was obviously thought a bit daring by the teens it was aimed at for using Sex in a song title and not getting banned - lest we forget, George Michael's I Want Your Sex was completely banned by radio in the UK only 4 years earlier despite being about the virtues of monogamy in the HIV era (one might argue a virtuous cause as opposed to a slice of urban teen pop with 50's doo-wop musical references dressed up as New Jack Swing). That said, I still like it, it's a nice tune, I enjoy the harmonies and the doo-wop vibes even if the title is silly and production is dated and a bit clunky 35 years on. Period-charm, I call it 😄 whether or not it will be last depends on what's left..(checks) oh my word, definitely not! There's one of my most-hated number ones ever still to come for a start! 😇
-
PopMaster & Ten To The Top II
Thanks Rollo, and well done on the one-question-off-only scores Rollo and Tylky! round 1: 36 one year out round 2: 39 3 in 10: Ha Ha Said The Clown, Ragamuffin Man, Blinded By The Light
-
Top 100 Best Selling Singles Of The 1970s
Sorry to hear about the funeral memories Mack and Spiceboy, I have loads of songs I cant listen to anymore due to funerals, I wish they didnt stick in my mind so much!
-
Jaz Ranks The 2013 Number Ones
I find the constipated Impossible to listen to, still, I'd bung it near the bottom. Not heard Monster since it left the charts, I'm enjoying it playing it again now, nice guitar riffs, the rapping is lively and changing, Eminem makes it look easy but he really tower over most, Rhianna always sounds great and the chorus is pretty good. My fave so far. So what did 2013 John make of it? A mere 35! Shows how time changes things.....!
-
Colm Rates and Ranks the YTD Numbers 11 to 20 for Each Year of the 1990s
Let me hear you say eh-oh. Needs an extra Boom to make it even more annoying... I do like Shaggy though Boombastic isnt his best record, he has way better including some 2026 releases, Shaggy actual singing shock horror on Ain't No Sunshine with Sting. It's nice, honest!
-
Colm Rates and Ranks the YTD Numbers 11 to 20 for Each Year of the 1990s
happens when I'm on holiday in Gran Canaria at Shenanigans, so I can confirm...(though its mostly Brits on holiday with assorted puzzled Scandinavians)😄
- RESULTS: EDITION 14: The Best Song Contest in the World... Ever! ~ Singer Songwriter