Jump to content

jaxxalude

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jaxxalude

  1. But it does borrows a lot from 1988, though.
  2. "White Noise" is, by far, the best song on the chart right now!
  3. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    In a year positively filled with future classics and/or seminal tunes, this one sticks out like a sore thumb. Wikipedia (yeah, I know...) tells me there have been more than 200-count-em-200 covers of this Marijohn Wilkin and Kris Kristofferson-written and composed song. But honestly, can anyone tell them apart? And do many people really have any idea what's this song and/or how it goes? XGd2kuMIJIo
  4. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    ^ Hmm, maybe. I believe that song is a usual feature in Worst #1 Singles Ever-type lists.
  5. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    Speaking of forgotten chart toppers... I guess this one isn't also that remembered these days, however unjust that might be in some ways, since we're talking about the first all-Black British group to ever hit the top. 788BOtx_-Nw
  6. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    Which ones, exactly?
  7. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    Maybe Joe Bloggs has forgotten about it. But in terms of, well, hipster cred, you can bet your life it's quite fondly regarded. And contrary to what a lot of people might think, hipster cred does matter quite a bit.
  8. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    "The Drugs Don't Work"? I guess they don't, since, as already stated, "Sex on Fire" is still as ubiquitous as they come. And while not undisputable part of the Big Canon, I reckon "Return of the Mack", "Your Woman", "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next" and even "Fill Me In" aren't exactly forgettable; more like cult #1's, if you will.
  9. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    Anyone remember the glorious musical careers of Lee Marvin and Telly Savalas? gJNqaWlsnXE J94-_w9ARX0
  10. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    ^^ Maybe, but it featured THE WOBBLE, so it might be one of those cases where a seemingly forgettable record actually holds many keys to what would become the future. AZ-27rdwJPs
  11. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    I just looked at the list of 2006 #1's and, honestly speaking, out of twenty-four possibilities, I could only see at best four titles worth any sort of undeniable classic status. Certainly a much better ration than 2005, but nothing really Earth-shattering. To be fair I'll list those. The undeniables: Gnarls Barkley, "Crazy" Shakira, "Hips Don't Lie" (feat. Wyclef Jean) Justin Timberlake, "SexyBack" Take That, "Patience" And then there the up-for-debate ones: Ne-Yo, "So Sick" Sandi Thom, "I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker (With Flowers in My Head)" Nelly Furtado, "Maneater" Lily Allen, "Smile" Razorlight, "America" My Chemical Romance, "Welcome to the Black Parade" There's also Fedde Le Grand, which isn't really remembered by Joe Bloggs, but is very much considered a classic within dance music circles.
  12. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    To illustrate my point, let's just say that their rivalry even extended beyond death and into the Forgotten #1 field! :P Do5MMmEygsY ufKxCclo7-c
  13. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    The mid-noughties were a great time for completely forgotten #1's, as physical singles sales were at their lowest, downloads were still in their infancy and turnaround at the top was as swift as ever. So it became quite easy for singles to reach the top by way of fanbase rallying, rather than genuine across-the-board appeal. And on the rare occasions such a single came during that time, it would either be flash-in-the-pan/zeitgeisty things like talent show coronation songs or charity songs. I guess James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" might have been the only truly mass-appeal #1 of the mid-2000's.
  14. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    Was he really? He went on to star on Heartbeat for five years and even managed a second hit single with the title theme song and everything. And I know for a fact (even though it wasn't shown here) that that series was very popular for quite a long time during its run.
  15. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    ^^ Shawty's like a melody in my head. ;) I might be wrong about this one, as I'm from Portugal and my Reception year self didn't register it. But does anyone genuinely remember this anymore? Or is it one of those so-bad-it-becomes-memorable moments? Perhaps even the fact that this was from Eastenders might have made it much more endurable than it otherwise might have become. I genuinely don't know, hence why I'm asking all these questions. JyTzmhFQt2o
  16. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    Bar the odd exception ("Do They Know It's Christmas", "We Are the World", "Candle in the Wind 1997"), #1 charity tracks are some of the most readily forgotten. It's only natural, as they are meant to capture certain zeitgeisty moments. Some examples include: AmieR3KvQAc NBaTN-vBVfg J7uP3Bbu_pQ
  17. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    VuTVKO0RScI
  18. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    Where I come from, it's either "A Design For Life", "Motorcycle Emptiness" or, like I said, "If You Tolerate This...". With "From Despair to Where" and "La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh)" spiked in once in a while.
  19. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    I was guessing you were. ;) Still, it's the truth: the Man/Woman on the Street doesn't remember "The Masses Against the Classes". But they certainly remember "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next".
  20. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    This one I think merits no discussion. As forgotten and M.I.A. from public conscioussness as they come! 2rW8dg7drXA
  21. I guess - focus on the word "guess" - the purpose of this thread is to list those songs which were originally non-Top 10 Top 40 hits of varying magnitude which have been all but M.I.A. from the general public's conscioussness.
  22. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    As I've said in the aforementioned thread, a lot of us chart buffs (and/or fans of the artists) might rememeber these four songs. But the average Joe Bloggs or Sharon Tracy? I very much doubt it. In Billie Piper's case, if people remember "Because We Want To", that would already be a victory. And speaking of her, here's another totally forgotten chart topper: YECHW8BxqNg
  23. jaxxalude posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    Following the topic about forgotten Top 40 hits initiated by St Andrews 1875, I'd propose an altogether trickier, er, proposition. I'll start (or, in this case, restart) with the four year 2000 #1's I posted in the aforementioned topic. bS-S-YSEpso Yy5cKX4jBkQ PruP58FuYmM Z9LjOQVBFmA Let the games begin!
  24. I remember all four too. But Tom, Dick and Harry or Sharon and Tracy? Doubt it.
  25. There are actually forgotten #1's, much less forgotten Top 40 singles which didn't go Top 10! Who even remembers these from 2000 anymore? bS-S-YSEpso Yy5cKX4jBkQ PruP58FuYmM Z9LjOQVBFmA I could go on...