Jump to content

ags_rule

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ags_rule

  1. ags_rule posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    Disappointing to see the Foos falling, but a Top 20 hit is still a good return for a song with zero promotion, very little radio play and in a chart that has a notable lack of rock music.
  2. ags_rule posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    I think the Foo Fighters going Top 10 is definitely achievable. Especially the way rock fans tend to download - if there's already momentum behind a song, we'll tend to download it just to give it a push. I wasn't planning on downloading it - like the song, but it's available for free streaming and I'll be getting the album on day one anyway - but if it pushes a rock song into a stagnant R&B dominated top 10, I'll gladly spend less than a quid to help it on the way.
  3. ags_rule posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    Nah, wouldn't call anything by Biffy hard-rock - it's heavier than most rock in the charts, but not 'hard-rock' all the same. And yeah, KITN as well of course counts, although that wasn't a new song and was part of a campaign.
  4. ags_rule posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    Great to see Foo Fighters doing so well, been a while since a harder rock song made the charts - Metallica, AC/DC and Guns N' Roses back in 2008 I think! 'Rope' is really growing on me as well, first thought it was a bit average, but it's actually pretty damn good on subsequent listens.
  5. 'Rope' is alright, although tbh I'm a little disappointed in it after the heaviness of 'White Limo' and the clips from other songs. Good chorus though. And the album cover is class, channelling a bit of Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid' with it!
  6. Sounds quite promising, although not as much of a departure from their other works as was hinted at. Last two tracks in particular sound intriguing.
  7. ags_rule posted a post in a topic in Indie, Rock and Alternative
    He's coming to Ulster Hall in June, really tempted to go. I don't know a lot of his music but love the tracks I have heard, and the quality of the live show speaks for itself really.
  8. Mostly Metallica and AC/DC style riffs and solos for me. My aim though is to be able to play like Slash. The guy gets a raw deal I think by some guitarists who say that he wasn't that technically accomplished, but I find his riffs and solos more difficult than even thrash metal stuff.
  9. Wow White Limo sounds nothing like the Foo Fighters, can't believe that's Grohl on vocals! Good song though, lot of energy and awesome riff. Really excited for this album now.
  10. Awesome video! :yahoo: But annoyed they cut out the guitar solo :(
  11. ags_rule posted a post in a topic in Indie, Rock and Alternative
    Megadeth - Set The World Afire
  12. Well, it's symphonic metal at it's heaviest, gothic rock at it's lightest. But either way it's good for people to see how varied the genre is!
  13. Absolutely DELIGHTED with the new single. Their sound was beginning to get so stale, but this is a lot more riff-based, a bit heavier, some electronic influences, and a very rare WT guitar solo as well. Apparently the rest of the album has Iron Maiden influences, so definitely looking forward to it. I think this could actually perform relatively well in the UK charts as well, I think Sharon Del Ada did vocals for a popular dance track.
  14. Tease sounds great, *bleep*ing heavy!
  15. Alter Bridge, no question. Myles Kennedy is one of the greatest vocalists in rock music right now.
  16. STONE HENGE! Just kidding ;) I'd have loved to seen the original Guns N' Roses when they were still playing tiny, intimate venues. I've seen a GNR tribute act in a tiny bar and let me tell you, that is where hard-rock music like that kicks the most ass. There's something perfect about it in that sort of setting.
  17. At the same time though, music has changed. Just like no pop act will ever sell as many albums as Thriller, I don't believe we will ever see a new rock/metal act that sells as many albums as Metallica, Iron Maiden and AC/DC have. Music just doesn't sell like that anymore. But I do truly believe in the years to come that we will see Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet For My Valentine making huge progress in terms of popularity. Slipknot as well.
  18. I was never a fan of BFMV until Fever, but that's probably because I'm not a big metalcore fan and Fever was more like classic metal than metalcore. This may be a controversial opinion but IMO Nightmare was Avenged's strongest album yet, just pipping City Of Evil. I felt that the songwriting was better; not as progressive as CoE but it had plenty of heaviness and technicality, with the poppy hooks of self-titled. Other than that there were some great rock/metal albums this year from Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, Alter Bridge, Tarja, Slash, Ghost, Mastodon, Stone Sour, Apocalyptica...
  19. This is a very narrow angle to take as it's UK only. Iron Maiden's newest album debuted at No. 1 in 30 countries worldwide and shifted 800,00 copies in one week alone. Avenged Sevenfold debuted top of the Billboard 200 and Bullet For My Valentine hit No. 3 on both sides of the Atlantic. The problem is that rock goes through so many trends, at the moment the main one being indie. But only one sub-genre has rode the wave of every other one and came out on top, and that's heavy-metal. It's perhaps the only genre that can claim to have a truly worldwide fanbase.
  20. Top 5 highest grossing tours of 2010: 1) Bon Jovi 2) AC/DC 3) U2 4) Lady Gaga 5) Metallica Spot the odd one out...yes, rock might not be big in the charts anymore, but it's kicking the $h!t out of everything else on the live scene.
  21. ags_rule posted a post in a topic in Indie, Rock and Alternative
    Party Hard is SUCH a good song. I think I was about 12 when it came out and it was the *bleep*ing heaviest thing I'd ever heard, it definitely played a part in my love of rock and metal music.
  22. Is this thread just referring to 2 million+ in the UK? Because if it's worldwide I'm sure there's a fair few bands who have managed that! :blink:
  23. Pleased to see Corey make the Top 40, properly good comedy track!
  24. Same :( Corey's track is pretty funny and I want it to be played on the chart show so people will have to say "OK, that guy from the angry, shouty metal band Slipknot can actually sing" :P If he doesn't make the Top 40 though it'll be because he left it so late to promote his track. I think he only released the track for preview/the video about 3 days before the Christmas chart week?!
  25. ags_rule posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    Gotta disagree with that, Death Magnetic was a real return to form, some great thrash that was anything but 'corporate'. And 'Disposable Heroes' is from Master Of Puppets anyway But, back on topic, I honestly think that with RATM it was right song, right place, right time, just everything about it fell into place. It really will take something special for that to happen again, but I am quite confident that there will be another rock or metal campaign in the limelight eventually.