BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Chris' top two-hundred albums of the decade.
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Chris.
post 18th November 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Everything goes numb
User: 4,561

it shall begin this evening guys. infact probaly in like ten minutes.

here are some random stats,

it features...

2 Instrumental albums
4 Live albums
3 Cover albums
2 Remix albums
19 Albums that also feature on Ashford's album's of the decade
7 Albums that also feature on NME's album's of the decade#
41 Albums with the word 'the' in the title

I was gonna say how many albums were from each year, but i kept losing count.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Cremey
post 18th November 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #2
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089

This should be interesting! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
p a v
post 18th November 2009, 06:05 PM
Post #3
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

...Or not sad.gif

Bloc Party better be Top 10 <3

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 18th November 2009, 06:37 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Everything goes numb

200. Field Music - Field Music (2005)
199. Nine Black Alps - Everything Is (2005)
198. Fandangle - Fly Away (2008)
197. Billy Talent - Billy Talent III (2009)
196. Anti-Flag - The Bright Lights of America (2008)
195. Goldfinger - Hello Destiny (2008)
194. Dropkick Murphys - The Warriors Code (2005)
193. Eagles of Death Metal - Peace Love Death Metal (2004)
192. New Found Glory - Catalyst (2004)
191. Skindred - Roots Rock Riot (2007)

Not a terribly exciting set of albums, but I like them all for one reason or another. 'Field Music' ends up in the 200th place, never found them that much of an amazing band, but this album is about the 200th best album of the last ten years, their second album 'Tones of Town' just missed out of this list. 'Everything Is' is a pretty decent album, I used to love it a lot more though, some tracks are just amazing though, 'Shot Down' I must of listened to a billion times, 'Just Friends' is so wub.gif as well. 'Fly Away' makes the lowest ska album on the chart, from a great underground underground ska act who took too long to finish their album, sadly they have changed into a more pop punk direction. Billy Talent's latest album just about skims onto the list, it isnt their best, and tbh I should listen to it more, but it has a great collaboration with Anti-Flag on it ('Turn Your Back'). So Anti-Flag also just skim onto the list with probaly their worse album 'Bright Lights of America', but if im honest, I love that title track. 'Hello Destiny' was very underated, it certainly has some ace tracks. 'The Warriors Code' just makes me want to be irish, 'Shipping Up To Boston' is amazing (and the lyrics were written by the amazing Woody Guthrie) and 'Sunshine Highway' is also a highlight on the album. 'Peace Love Death Metal' is great fun, featuring a take on the classic 'Stuck In The Middle', called 'Stuck In The Metal', and of course great songs such as 'I Only Want You' and 'Speaking In Tounges'. 'Catalyst' is possibly my least favourite NFG album, but contains possible my favourite track (or nearly my favourite track) by them, 'All Downhill From Here'. 'Roots Rock Riot' has a brilliant use of cross-genre between metal and reggae, bring some amazing beats.

+Quote this post
Harve
post 18th November 2009, 07:41 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

I guarantee those paragraphs'll get shorter and shorter by the time you get to 150.

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 18th November 2009, 07:48 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Everything goes numb

QUOTE(Harve @ Nov 18 2009, 07:41 PM) *
I guarantee those paragraphs'll get shorter and shorter by the time you get to 150.

yeah i didnt mean to write so much lol.

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 18th November 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Everything goes numb

190. Hundred Reasons - Quick The Action - Sharp The Word (2007)
189. Blakfish - Champions (2009)
188. Sonic Boom Six - City of Thieves (2009)
187. Anti-Flag - For Blood and Empire (2006)
186. Flogging Molly - Swagger (2000)
185. Ash - Meltdown (2004)
184. Exit Ten - Remember The Day (2008)
183. Art Brut - It's a Bit Complicated (2007)
182. The Bloodhound Gang - Hefty Fine (2005)
181. Funeral For A Friend - Hours (2005)

QTASTW is great, 'No Way Back' for the win, it's not 'Kill Your Own' or 'Ideas Above Our Station' though. 'Champions' is a brilliant debut album from Blakfish, best debut of 2009 maybe. 'City of Thieves' is a good album, which shows Sonic Boom Six's amazing sound that crosses so many genre-boundries. 'For Blood and Empire' is the second entry from Anti-Flag already on this list, features some great tracks such as 'The Press Corpse' and 'War Sucks, Lets Party'. Swagger is Flogging Molly's debut album, and what a debut it is, great band, great album, great mix of irish folk and punk, 'Selfish Man' is the highlight of the album. Overall I don't find 'Meltdown' that much of an amazing album, but it has some real stand out tracks such as 'Orpheus' and 'Renegade Cavalcade' which really make the album. 'Remember The Day' is a great metal debut from my local Reading band, Exit Ten, some great melodic guitar parts on this album. Art Brut are a band that are just so loveable, 'It's A Little Bit Complicated' isnt their best album but it has some great tracks such as 'St Pauli', 'Direct Hit' and 'Nag Nag Nag Nag'. 'Hefty Fine' isnt exactly a great album, but for one reason on another, I really loved it at the time, they became a favourite band, I got into their whole back catelogue, going far past the overplayedness of 'The Bad Touch' which half the population really seem to bum, anyway, 'Hefty Fine' makes it on here for how much I loved it at the time, for the memories. 'Hours' has a lot of weak momments, but tracks such as 'History' show that they are more than the post-hardcore/screamcore band they got the reputation for with Casually Dressed, also 'Streetcar' is a highlight.

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 19th November 2009, 02:18 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 7,426

QUOTE(Mr Self Destruct @ Nov 18 2009, 10:26 PM) *
190. Hundred Reasons - Quick The Action - Sharp The Word (2007)
189. Blakfish - Champions (2009)

Only heard these two, I thought it was 'Quick the Word, Sharp the Action' though laugh.gif never really got into it tbh, doesn't stand up against the other albums you mentioned.

Yay Blakfish, going to see them next Tuesday, excellent debut.

Not really heard goldfinger's new stuff, just love the old stuff. I'll have heard a couple from the NFG album but haven't got it.

Oh and I like that I'm in your stats bit in the first post, makes me feel superior and special compared to all of these other crap members.

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 19th November 2009, 08:00 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Everything goes numb

QUOTE(Ashford. @ Nov 19 2009, 02:18 AM) *
Only heard these two, I thought it was 'Quick the Word, Sharp the Action' though laugh.gif

whatever. i was close enough.

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 19th November 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Everything goes numb

180. Gallows - Grey Britain (2009)
179. Jamie T - Kings & Queens (2009)
178. Alkaline Trio - Agony and Irony (2008)
177. Funeral For A Friend - Tales Don't Tell Themselves (2007)
176. The Gaslight Anthem - Sink or Swim (2007)
175. Flogging Molly - Float (2008)
174. We Are Scientists - Brain Thrust Mastery (2008)
173. The Cribs - The Cribs (2004)
172. Rancid - Let the Dominoes Fall (2009)
171. The Matches - E Von Dahl Killed The Locals (2003)

'Grey Britain' and 'Kings & Queens' are two very good second albums to come out this year, 'Grey Britain' is a much more epic sounding and finely produced Gallows, rather than their debut, and 'Kings & Queens' just plain has some excellent tunes on it, such as 'Sticks and Stones' and 'The Man's Machine'. 'Agony and Irony' is possibly the worst Alk3 album but I do love 'Help Me' and 'Love Love Kiss Kiss'. 'Tales...' is such an underated FFAF album, it may not be as good as their other stuff, but as a complete different sound I think it is an excellent concept album. 'Sink or Swim' most people wont of heard, but it is brilliant in like a billion ways, Gaslight Anthem are an excellent band. 'Float' another very good Flogging Molly album, highlights are 'Float', 'Paddys Lamet' and 'Requiem for a Dying Song'. 'Brain Thrust Mastery' didnt manage to capture the bands brilliance as much as former albums, but is still good in it's own right, 'After Hours' was brilliant (although I wish I didnt overplay it as much as I did), 'Tonight' and 'Lets See It' are also highlights. 'The Cribs' showed us early promise of the band, with great tracks such as 'Another Number' and 'Direction' they topped themseleves though. I was dissapointed with 'Let The Dominoes Fall' yet it still managed the list, Rancid are just one of those bands who's bad material is still excellent. I dont know why but I really love 'E Von Dahl Killed The Locals' might be my memory of seeing them before they signed to a major and just being generally impressed with their live show, and then later on getting elbowed in the head by the singer as he was holding up CD's trying to sell them, and then a few years later they seemed to be massive in America, 'Sick Little Suicide', 'Dog Eared Page', 'Chain Me Free' all excellent songs.

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 19th November 2009, 06:23 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Everything goes numb

170. Reel Big Fish - Fame, Fortune and Fornication (2009)
169. New Found Glory - Sticks and Stones (2002)
168. Idiot Pilot - Wolves (2007)
167. Beastie Boys - The Mix Up (2007)
166. The Cure - Bloodflowers (2000)
165. Hundred Reasons - Shatterproof Is Not A Challenge (2004)
164. Angels and Airwaves - We Don't Need To Whisper (2006)
163. Placebo - Battle For The Sun (2009)
162. Hot Hot Heat - Elevator (2005)
161. Saul Williams - Saul Williams (2004)

'Fame, Fortune and Fronication' is a great cover album, although I think there are some songs that I know they could cover even better, and ones they have that didnt feature (such as 'Boys Dont Cry') but it's still a great album, lots of fun. 'Sticks and Stones' is pretty good, some good songs such as 'My Friends Over You' and 'Head on Collision'. 'Wolves' is a really underated album, that mixes electronica and post-hardcore brilliantly, is also co-produced by Mark Hoppus and one song features drums from Travis Barker, Ashford would probaly like it. 'The Mix Up' really prove that Beastie Boys are much more than just an amazing hip hop group, they are great instrumentalists too (although Check your Head also manages to prove that but does feature vocals). 'Bloodflowers' isnt the best Cure album, but its a Cure album so its automatically amazing. 'Shatterproof Is Not A Challenge' doesnt match the two other Hundred Reasons albums that are yet to feature, but is still a great album, perhaps their least accessible, 'Stories With Unhappy Endings' is a highlight on the album. 'We Dont Need To Whisper' is pretty samey although recently I have come to love Tom Delonge's compostion on this album with the interesting guitar parts (even if they do get repetitive and boring after a while) and the tinge of electonicness. 'Battle For The Sun' is a great recent effort from Placebo, and proves they still have it, 'Battle For The Sun' and 'For What It's Worth' are production gold (not as good as the 'Med's production though, from a different producer, maybe Placebo just naturally sound amazing). 'Elevator' has some songs i really love on it, 'Goodnight Goodnight' I absolutly bummed at the time, 'Dirty Mouth' is also a highlight. 'Saul Williams' is just an album of pure genius, the man IS a genius, and features a great guest vocal part from Zack De La Rocha on 'Act III Scene 2 (Shakespeare)' and also a good piano part from Serj Tankian on opener 'Talk To Strangers', it also features his best track, 'List of Demands (Reparations)'.

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post 19th November 2009, 10:48 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 5,392

197. Billy Talent - Billy Talent III (2009)
182. The Bloodhound Gang - Hefty Fine (2005)
173. The Cribs - The Cribs (2004)
167. Beastie Boys - The Mix Up (2007)
166. The Cure - Bloodflowers (2000)
163. Placebo - Battle For The Sun (2009)

Good albums so far!

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 20th November 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Everything goes numb

160. Linkin Park - Minutes To Midnight (2007)
159. Jemina Pearl - Break It Up (2009)
158. Weezer - Maladroit (2002)
157. Rancid - Indestructible (2003)
156. Reel Big Fish - Monkeys For Nothing and the Chimps For Free (2007)
155. Weezer - Weezer (The Green Album) (2001)
154. Bruce Springsteen - Working On A Dream (2009)
153. New Found Glory - New Found Glory (2000)
152. Andrew W.K - I Get Wet (2001)
151. Pull Tiger Tail - PAWS (2009)

I think i'll address the two Weezer albums first, they are the only Weezer albums that feature, if this was my all time top albums, weezer's debut would be top 5. easily. yet here they are not even reaching the top 150 this decade. Shame. 'Minutes To Midnight' does not get enough credit, people seem to discredit it just because its Linkin Park but I still think it's a pretty damn good album, some brilliant tracks, such as 'Given Up', 'What Ive Done', ' Bleed It Out' whatever people say, Linkin Park are good musicians and its clear they do think musically in their songwriting process, the album is brilliantly produced by Rick Rubin aswell. 'Break It Up' is a great album from this year, one of only 2 lead female vocalists on this list. 'Indestructible' is another great Rancid album, features the amazing 'Fall Back Down', 'David Courtney' is another highlight from the album. 'Monkeys For Nothing and the Chimps For Free' is another fun affair from my favourite Fish related band, a greta cover of 'Another Day In Paradise' (Phil Collins), a song based around the world 'f***' ('Another FU song') and other highlights such as 'Hate You' and 'Everybody's Drunk', it is a shame lead song 'Party Down' didnt live up to the rest of the album and thus made the album open weak. 'Working On A Dream' is a brilliant album by bruce Springsteen, SHOWS THE BOSS STILL HAS IT. 'New Found Glory' is my favourite NFG album, 'Dressed To Kill' is the track that got me into the band, 'Hit or Miss' is another highlight. 'I Get Wet' is brilliant, mainly because its Andre W.K, the f***ing missiah, lets face it, everyone loves 'Party Hard', if you dont, there is something wrong with you. 'PAWS' is a underated album from this year, that was meant to come out years ago, some brilliant tracks appear, such as 'Animator', 'Mr 100 Percent', 'Lets Lightning', every track is pretty ace, it's hard not to like.

+Quote this post
Harve
post 22nd November 2009, 07:17 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

*revives*

QUOTE(Mr Self Destruct @ Nov 20 2009, 09:38 PM) *
'Minutes To Midnight' does not get enough credit, people seem to discredit it just because its Linkin Park but I still think it's a pretty damn good album, some brilliant tracks, such as 'Given Up', 'What Ive Done', ' Bleed It Out' whatever people say, Linkin Park are good musicians and its clear they do think musically in their songwriting process, the album is brilliantly produced by Rick Rubin aswell.

How unsnobbish ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
CianS
post 22nd November 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Do Wah Dootastic :D
User: 8,914

I only have one of those albums :lo; and its minutes to minight ...

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 22nd November 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Haven't heard many since last comment tbh, ones I do know I like (apart from linkin park), these are:

We Are Scientists
Hot Hot Heat
Hundred Reasons
The Cribs

Liked the one Pull Tiger Tail song I've heard, Party Hard is AWESOME.

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 23rd November 2009, 06:44 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Everything goes numb

150. Ash - Free All Angels (2001)
149. The Young Knives - The Young Knives... Are Dead (2002)
148. Graham Coxon - The Kiss of Morning (2002)
147. Jimmy Eat World - Futures (2004)
146. Alkaline Trio - Crimson (2005)
145. The Nightwatchman - The Fabled City (2008)
144. The King Blues - Save The World Get The Girl (2008)
143. Dirty Pretty Things - Waterloo To Anywhere (2006)
142. Deftones - Deftones (2003)
141. Anti-Flag - Underground Network (2001)

'Free All Angels' is no way my favourite Ash album, but is also probaly their most commercial ('Burn Baby Burn', 'Candy', 'Shining Light'), it also features one of my favourite tracks by them, 'Walking Barefoot', just so amazing. 'The Young Knibes... Are Dead' is an early TYK mini-album, not many people know it, I spent a lot of 2006 pretty obsessed with this band, this mini-album is great and underated, I remember the first time I saw them, it was halloween so they played 'Night of the Trees' was amazing seeing as they never play stuff off this anymore, 'Walking on the Autobahn' is also a highlight. 'The Kiss of Morning' is a lovely record by Graham Coxon, he is so great solo. 'Futures' is a good album, some great tracks such as 'Pain', 'Futures', 'Work'. 'Crimson' isnt stand out work from Alkaline Trio but does have some AMAZING songs such as 'Mercy Me' and 'Time To Waste'. 'The Fabled City' is Tom Morello's second folk effort, 'Whatever It Takes' and 'Lazarus On Down' (featuring Serj Tankian) are highlights of the album. 'Save The World Get The Girl' is perhaps The King Blues going a bit too Radio 1 for my liking, but still some great tracks, such as the title track, 'Save The World, Get The Girl', 'What if Punk Never Happened?'. 'The Streets Are Ours' and 'Lets Hang The Landlord' I loved this album too much when it was just released. 'Waterloo To Anywhere' can seem like a bit of a meh effort, but every time I listen I realise I love half the tracks, 'Blood Thirsty bast*rds', 'You f***ing Love It', 'Doctors and Dealers', 'Deadwood, 'The Gentry Cove' all great tracks, shame about the follow up album. 'Deftones ' is a brilliant album, of course featuring the amazing 'Minerva'. 'Underground Network' is a pretty good Anti-Flag album, highlights include 'Underground Network' and 'This Machine Kills Facists', its a pretty underated album.

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 23rd November 2009, 07:07 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

147. Jimmy Eat World - Futures (2004) - Good album
142. Deftones - Deftones (2003) - Their weakest album I think (without having heard Adrenaline), still good though.

A couple more I should have checked out but haven't.

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 24th November 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Everything goes numb

140. Alkaline Trio - Maybe I'll Catch Fire (2000)
139. The Automatic - This Is A Fix (2008)
138. Damien Rice - 9 (2006)
137. Willy Mason - If The Ocean Gets Rough (2007)
136. Tenacious D - The Pick of Destiny (2006)
135. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works (2007)
134. Yourcodenameis:milo -Ignoto (2005)
133. Foo Fighters - In Your Honour (2005)
132. Flight of the Conchords - I Told You I Was Freaky (2009)
131. We Are Scientists - Safety, Fun and Learning (In That Order) (2002)

Every Alk3 album is pretty damn good, 'Maybe I'll Catch Fire' is particulary good, captures the brilliance of them before they were well known, 'Radio' is a highlight. 'This Is A Fix' was a really underated album, It got rid of the annoyingness of Pennie from their first album, and brought in Paul Mullen of yourcodenameis:milo who performed brilliantly on this album. '9' is a beautiful album, '9 Crimes', 'Elephant', 'The Animals Are Gone', 'Rootless Tree', 'Me, My Yoke + I' are all great tracks. 'If The Ocean Gets Rough' is a brilliant follow up to Willy Mason's first album, 'Where The Humans Eat', it features a great guest vocal by Roasanne Cash on 'We Can Be Strong', 'Save Myself' is also a highlight. 'The Pick of Destiny' is full of lol and rock, a great soundtrack to a great movie, gotta love 'Kickapoo', 'Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown)' and 'Master Exploder' are also highlights. 'Ire Works' is a completly FANTASTIC album, especially when you like innovative metal, not the same as anything else, great for mathcore and experiemental metal fans, 'Fix Your Face', 'Black Bubblegum' and 'Milk Lizard' are great tracks. 'Ignoto' is a brilliant and addictive album from ycni:m, '17', 'Rapt Dept', 'Schteeve' and 'I am Connecting Flight' are all great tracks, the cover art is brill aswell. 'In Your Honour' isnt the best Foo's album by a long shot, but is pretty epic, 'In Your Honour' is a powerful opener, acoustic track 'Razor' also features Josh Homme on guitar, and 'Friend of a Friend' is also a highlight. 'I Told You I Was Freaky' is a great recently released album from Flight of the Conchords, superbly performed and very humourous, how anyone could not love 'Sugar lumps' is beyond me, 'Too Many Dicks For The Dancefloor' and 'Hurt Feelings' are also songs of brilliance on this album that literally had me rofling the first time I heard them. 'Safety, Fun and Learning' is not a very well known W.A.S album, recorded before they hit the big time, the album features many great tracks such as 'Bomb Inside A Bomb' and 'Mothra Vs We Are Scientists', the album has pure quality sound recording which works so well for the album, it sounds so much like a small indie band who no one knows, which is what they were at the time, but the difference is, they are good songs, and also get quite addictive.

+Quote this post
post 24th November 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,513

I Told You I Was Freaky is sexual.

Damien Rice's O is far better than 9. Hope that makes an appearance.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th May 2024, 05:52 AM