BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
15 Pages V  « < 13 14 15  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ○ BJSC148 | FINAL RESULTS
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Dobbo
post 13th October 2022, 10:08 AM
Post #281
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Yeah keep the semis, they add more jeopardy. Plus it's more satisfying if a risky entry qualifies.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Silas
post 13th October 2022, 10:13 AM
Post #282
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

1BF I don’t think is particularly feasible with these numbers. Although I do remember the „we have to listen to how many tracks?!“ when we first did it and had numbers in the 40s. Personally I think that the kinda low 40s place we’ve got to for the number of finalists is a really good place and I’m very much in the camp of keep the semis for as long as we have enough of you wonderful people to justify them.

I’m not opposed to the idea of pots. My concern is maybe that if we start pigeonholing countries is Two fold. Firstly it’s to what level do we go down to because pop for example covers so many sins, and secondly it’s do we then kinda start to subconsciously stifle people’s experimentation by sticking them with a label that might not fully encapsulate what their taste is and their palate of potential genres. I am open minded to it, but it’s one of those things I am not going to like push push on a Host to carry out an experiment or push for us to do it. If a host however is really interested in running it themselves then they would have my full backing.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 13th October 2022, 11:39 AM
Post #283
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

QUOTE(Silas @ Oct 13 2022, 11:13 AM) *
I’m not opposed to the idea of pots. My concern is maybe that if we start pigeonholing countries is Two fold. Firstly it’s to what level do we go down to because pop for example covers so many sins, and secondly it’s do we then kinda start to subconsciously stifle people’s experimentation by sticking them with a label that might not fully encapsulate what their taste is and their palate of potential genres. I am open minded to it, but it’s one of those things I am not going to like push push on a Host to carry out an experiment or push for us to do it. If a host however is really interested in running it themselves then they would have my full backing.

Yeah I guess here you would either draw people in a genre pot, or you actively keep them away from people that tend to usually vote each other highly. Either way, that means generally pop people who want to send something else one month may be dissuaded from doing so, or they might find the right potential audience for their usual type of entry isn't with them at all and they DNQ time and time again.

The majority of my entries over the last few years have been dance, but I've had a few pop, chill out, schlager, and stuff leaning into alt/rock territory. Would I be put in a dance pot though, for example? Because clearly then I'd have little room for experimentation laugh.gif

There might be a way for it to work, but it would take some real strategic thinking and probably quite large pots.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 13th October 2022, 12:24 PM
Post #284
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

I get the experimentation line completely, I wouldn't want to discourage that, though the ideal should be that regardless of what you choose to send, you should end up with approximately half of the people who would normally vote for that style of entry. Even if you yourself were put in the dance pot, you'd end up in a semi with about 10 people who've historically voted for pop most often, 10 people with the same for dance and 10 indie/rock people. With of course individual variations (I think there are slightly more pop participants and slightly less indie in general, for those you'd just put some of the more indie-leaning pop people in the indie pot).

I think even that, even just 3 pots would be enough to prevent semis killing off any potential big hit that just happens to get stuck with none of its fans.

Actually, in that scenario, I think it might even be the case that you'd get other benefits, I wouldn't fall into the trap of sending a pop song for once only to get stuck in the non-pop semi where everyone who'd normally vote for me is turned off, and I know that if I sent an experimental song that I normally rely on at least a few of (to pick from my standard list of good bets)... Trifoski, Aelandor, Persephonia, Jadakissnia etc etc, I'd probably have at least a few so I stand a chance.

On the flipside, you might get less shock qualifiers that semis sometimes happen when a niche entry lucks out. It is making it less of a natural process, but what you're effectively doing is ending horribly biased semis which randomness occasionally throws up.

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 13th October 2022, 03:43 PM
Post #285
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666

Maybe we should poll and vote for one song to advance in finals from each semi after Semi Results are announced?!

If it isn’t the same thing what you guys already discussing!!!

+Quote this post
Rap Codester
post 13th October 2022, 03:51 PM
Post #286
Group icon
Gia, do you know the order of the solos?
User: 21,308

I'm not sure how the pot thing would work in this scenario bc there are so many posters and countries here who don't fall into one single category

+Quote this post
152chris
post 13th October 2022, 04:37 PM
Post #287
Group icon
down with jakewild
User: 10,105

QUOTE(Addy! @ Oct 13 2022, 03:43 PM) *
Maybe we should poll and vote for one song to advance in finals from each semi after Semi Results are announced?!

If it isn’t the same thing what you guys already discussing!!!

i lové this idea lol. WILDCARDS

+Quote this post
Brer
post 13th October 2022, 08:49 PM
Post #288
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Don't forget to post the semi-final spreadsheets Rob whistle.gif x

Tbh I'm kind of of the opinion that the potential for the wrong semi effect is more of a feature than a bug. Any attempt to put a finger on the scales to prevent it has too much potential to have unintended consequences and not be worth the effort imo. Completely randomising the semis seems fair, you have just as good a chance of getting an abnormally good semi draw for a certain niche song than an abnormally bad one.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 16th October 2022, 04:03 PM
Post #289
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

QUOTE(WaspBrë @ Oct 13 2022, 09:49 PM) *
Don't forget to post the semi-final spreadsheets Rob whistle.gif x

Please Rob.

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 17th October 2022, 06:57 PM
Post #290
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117

SEMI 1: https://docdro.id/EtFb0Lr
SEMI 2: https://docdro.id/BeJJJD3

+Quote this post
Rap Codester
post 17th October 2022, 07:01 PM
Post #291
Group icon
Gia, do you know the order of the solos?
User: 21,308

not me getting screwed over by the non-voters AGAIN *cough* Michael *cough*

+Quote this post
Brer
post 17th October 2022, 10:09 PM
Post #292
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Could have been top 5 if Meekul voted, sadge x

+Quote this post
p a v
post 18th October 2022, 12:16 AM
Post #293
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

Yehesi giving us a 12 in the semi and then not even putting us in top 18 (!) in the final.

That’s weird. That’s suspicious

+Quote this post

15 Pages V  « < 13 14 15
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th May 2024, 12:23 PM