BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> New Graphics, Profile Fields, and more improvements
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 9th April 2024, 08:26 PM
Post #41
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

QUOTE(Linds. @ Apr 9 2024, 02:49 PM) *
Gingers for justice!!!

Even the same grey on the website banners etc may work?

Also I know we have country flags, is there a way to add more pride flags?

I've changed the colour to grey now, what do you think? Definitely less in your face!

Definitely up for looking into more pride flags, not sure how I'd go about that just yet but I'll have a snoop around. Feel free to let me know if there's a specific one you'd like to see!

QUOTE(Jade @ Apr 9 2024, 03:28 PM) *
This also crossed my mind! Maybe "Forum Member" would look better?

Love this idea - have used this in the updated tag!

QUOTE(awardinary @ Apr 9 2024, 03:28 PM) *
Can I ask what the difference is between a grey star next to someone’s username and a spinning gold star? I must be missing something as I thought it had to relate to someone’s online status but when I checked the ones with grey stars were still showing as active. unsure.gif

It is meant to be the online status so not sure what's going on there!

QUOTE(awardinary @ Apr 9 2024, 03:35 PM) *
That does look better, but I also think perhaps "Member" as a term is a little disjointed from our community, and seeing as we have "The Posters' Chart" each week, perhaps the term should be changed? Maybe a tier system for most active posters perhaps idk.

Also I would echo Jade’s request and ask for Genre Mod to be Genre Moderator (until/unless genre forums are ceasing soon tongue.gif) But in addition, as I also moderate The Lounge and 21st Century Throwback Forums, the term isn’t quite inclusive of these other roles. kink.gif

Wouldn't worry too much about the terminology, typically I think you'd call someone a "member" of the forum, but obviously the Posters' Chart counts posts specifically hence the title!

Have changed Genre Mod to Genre Moderator - this crossed my mind before but my concern was that Entertainment Moderator was too long...! I've put aside my OCD and left that one simply as 'Mod' but changed all of the others.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brer
post 9th April 2024, 09:06 PM
Post #42
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

QUOTE(JosephBoone @ Apr 9 2024, 09:26 PM) *

I think it stays grey permanently if you tick the 'sign in as invisible' option when logging in.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 9th April 2024, 09:08 PM
Post #43
Group icon

QUOTE(Brer @ Apr 9 2024, 10:06 PM) *
I think it stays grey permanently if you tick the 'sign in as invisible' option when logging in.

Forgot that was a thing, mgmt perk is being able to see invisible users on the online list kink.gif thanks for clearing that up!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 9th April 2024, 09:53 PM
Post #44
Group icon

To come back to Wardy mentioning the out-of-date "messaging" username fields in profiles, I've not been able to create new fields unfortunately as I think that requires stuff I'm not able to manage (ie. writing new fields to the database), but I have been able to repurpose these fields...!

As of now, the MSN, AOL/AIM and Yahoo fields have been repurposed to Intagram, Twitter (it's always Twitter, never X x) and last.fm fields for you to enter your usernames should you wish. If you had other information in these fields before, please remove them - I can't do this for everyone as that's literally thousands of profiles. Obviously bear in mind inactive users will still have old information in these fields - I'll clear them as and when I come across them. The old ICQ field has been removed as this only allowed numerical data and I couldn't find how to change that (so sorry to TikTok which I'd pencilled in for the fourth slot x)

+Quote this post
Lindsey.
post 9th April 2024, 10:07 PM
Post #45
Group icon
a femininomenon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,176

Yessss grey is much better! wub.gif

I guess just the bi/pan/lesbian/ace/trans flags although I suppose the rainbow is still inclusive so it's not a massive deal, just a thought I had happy.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 9th April 2024, 10:10 PM
Post #46
Group icon

Will look into it!! Might be nice to update the pride flag to the more inclusive version too. I'll make it my next job!

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 9th April 2024, 10:13 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
User: 21,587

QUOTE(JosephBoone @ Apr 9 2024, 09:26 PM) *

Wouldn't worry too much about the terminology, typically I think you'd call someone a "member" of the forum, but obviously the Posters' Chart counts posts specifically hence the title!

Have changed Genre Mod to Genre Moderator - this crossed my mind before but my concern was that Entertainment Moderator was too long...! I've put aside my OCD and left that one simply as 'Mod' but changed all of the others.

Thanks Joseph, looks much better I must say! happy.gif Also, the term "Member" looks much better next to the word "Forum" so smart thinking there. wink.gif
QUOTE(Brer @ Apr 9 2024, 10:06 PM) *

Ah ok thanks for clarifying Bré.
QUOTE(JosephBoone @ Apr 9 2024, 10:53 PM) *
To come back to Wardy mentioning the out-of-date "messaging" username fields in profiles, I've not been able to create new fields unfortunately as I think that requires stuff I'm not able to manage (ie. writing new fields to the database), but I have been able to repurpose these fields...!

As of now, the MSN, AOL/AIM and Yahoo fields have been repurposed to Intagram, Twitter (it's always Twitter, never X x) and last.fm fields for you to enter your usernames should you wish. If you had other information in these fields before, please remove them - I can't do this for everyone as that's literally thousands of profiles. Obviously bear in mind inactive users will still have old information in these fields - I'll clear them as and when I come across them. The old ICQ field has been removed as this only allowed numerical data and I couldn't find how to change that (so sorry to TikTok which I'd pencilled in for the fourth slot x)

Oh great, I’ll get those updated for myself then! *.*

Thank you Joseph for all your hard work today.

+Quote this post
witchsting
post 9th April 2024, 10:48 PM
Post #48
Group icon
CROWN THE WITCH
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

Thanks for the Joseph! Re: Buzzjack roles I like that they are larger but I can't help but think they look a bit pixellated? To be fair the website has a tendency to enlarge images a bit more than the original size but not sure if that could be fixed within the HTML code.

Edut: Would be the best to use web text instead but with a larger font size which would make it a vector "image"

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 9th April 2024, 10:48 PM
Post #49
Group icon

Is Artist Inner Circle still a category of member, as it’s listed on the index but when you click on the link nobody shows up? unsure.gif It’s not a big deal, but just got me wondering when exploring all the other categories in the index.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 9th April 2024, 10:54 PM
Post #50
Group icon

QUOTE(uhsting @ Apr 9 2024, 11:48 PM) *
Thanks for the Joseph! Re: Buzzjack roles I like that they are larger but I can't help but think they look a bit pixellated? To be fair the website has a tendency to enlarge images a bit more than the original size but not sure if that could be fixed within the HTML code.

Edut: Would be the best to use web text instead but with a larger font size which would make it a vector "image"

Unfortunately I don't think that's possible, it's a specific field for images within the admin control panel! But I'm happy to play around to see if I can make it a little clearer, thanks for the feedback!

QUOTE(awardinary @ Apr 9 2024, 11:48 PM) *
Is Artist Inner Circle still a category of member, as it’s listed on the index but when you click on the link nobody shows up? unsure.gif It’s not a big deal, but just got me wondering when exploring all the other categories in the index.

It's still a category but all five members have other tags instead - Jay (chart mod), Haus (global mod), Tafty (genre mod), Liam.k (chart mod) and myself (admin) tearsmile.gif worth keeping if/when there's a change-up of who's involved in the inner circle!

(anyone with more than one role will have one "primary" role, which is what is listed on the profile, with the rest being secondary!)

+Quote this post
witchsting
post 9th April 2024, 10:57 PM
Post #51
Group icon
CROWN THE WITCH

QUOTE(JosephBoone @ Apr 9 2024, 11:54 PM) *
Unfortunately I don't think that's possible, it's a specific field for images within the admin control panel! But I'm happy to play around to see if I can make it a little clearer, thanks for the feedback!

In that case does the website support svg images? unsure.gif That would circumvent the image restriction as svg files are vectorised therefore they should look sharp even when enlarged

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 9th April 2024, 11:03 PM
Post #52
Group icon

Should pronouns be visible for members, particularly those who identify as non-binary, to avoid confusion and offence at misnaming individuals as he/her when they prefer they/them in posts where another member addresses them?

+Quote this post
witchsting
post 9th April 2024, 11:07 PM
Post #53
Group icon
CROWN THE WITCH

Oh yes I second a field that allows you to state your pronouns, since they cannot be told by the gender symbol alone

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 9th April 2024, 11:07 PM
Post #54
Group icon

QUOTE(uhsting @ Apr 9 2024, 11:57 PM) *
In that case does the website support svg images? unsure.gif That would circumvent the image restriction as svg files are vectorised therefore they should look sharp even when enlarged

Gonna look into this - my Photoshop doesn't seem to allow me to export as SVG but I'll report back!

QUOTE(awardinary @ Apr 10 2024, 12:03 AM) *
Should pronouns be visible for members, particularly those who identify as non-binary, to avoid confusion and offence at misnaming individuals as he/her when they prefer they/them in posts where another member addresses them?

Would love this but not sure I can add a brand new profile field unfortunately, would involve a new data field on the profile. Only option would be to repurpose an existing field (and even then I wouldn't be able to wipe everyone's existing data so easily). Great idea though - I think in the meantime, either the custom field on the left can be utilised, or in the signature.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 10th April 2024, 01:01 PM
Post #55
Group icon

Update: pronouns field will be coming x

Pls don't add anything to your location field in the meantime as this is going to be changed (obviously flags are still there if you want to display where you're from or where you live)

+Quote this post
danG
post 10th April 2024, 05:53 PM
Post #56
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

great to see these new graphics coming through, especially getting rid of the pointless blue squares at last plus the gender symbols being more visually pleasing

and the Chart Moderator label feels more like a badge of honour now biggrin.gif

as a suggestion would placing graphics in place of the “New” box next to the sub forum descriptors be something possible in the future?

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 10th April 2024, 07:22 PM
Post #57
Group icon

Pronouns field is now LIVE - edit it here! http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?a...rCP&CODE=01

Handily, it shows with your join date, post count and user number to the left of your posts, but if you haven't completed this field yet, it doesn't show up. That's... exactly what I wanted it to be except it did it without me telling it to! laugh.gif

Of course, it should go without saying that this field is NOT to be abused, nor used for any silly responses or jokes. I've not spent my day clearing out the location field of everyone with even 1 post to their name (yes, everyone, spambots included...!) for this to be made into a joke by anyone who chooses to be insensitive. Obviously I'll remove any silly responses and there will be consequences for anyone who continually chooses to be disrespectful - please let me know if you spot anything like this, or any old location responses that I missed...!

Was also nice to be able to clear out some old MSN/Yahoo/etc contact details for inactive users, and dodgy URLs in spambot accounts, so also don't hesitate to let me know if you see stuff like this on your travels around the forum (hopefully the latter won't be found at all as they should all be in the trash can but nevertheless).

As mentioned above, you can also add your last.fm, Twitter and Instagram usernames on the above link, and these show up on your profile page. No need to paste the full URL - these don't embed properly unfortunately so there's no benefit to it...!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 10th April 2024, 07:23 PM
Post #58
Group icon

QUOTE(danG @ Apr 10 2024, 06:53 PM) *
great to see these new graphics coming through, especially getting rid of the pointless blue squares at last plus the gender symbols being more visually pleasing

and the Chart Moderator label feels more like a badge of honour now biggrin.gif
as a suggestion would placing graphics in place of the “New” box next to the sub forum descriptors be something possible in the future?

Thanks Dan!!

I was thinking I'd love to look at some new graphics to replace those boxes, even if it's just two different emojis - one for "new posts" and one for "no new posts". I think I know where to do this so I'll defo have a look at it at some point!

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 10th April 2024, 07:54 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,585

Simple yet refreshing changes. Thanks for doing all of this Joseph happy.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 10th April 2024, 08:15 PM
Post #60
Group icon

You're very welcome!! biggrin.gif

I've also added all of the pride flags Lindsey suggested, and updated the LGBTQ+ pride flag! As well as a couple of region-specific flags Iz and Maurice requested sarah11.png this was very easy to do so please don't be afraid to ask for a flag of your choice here!

+Quote this post

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 6th May 2024, 06:40 PM