BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Would you pay more for Spotify or Apple Music?
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post 27th February 2022, 10:46 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Just a thought that I was thinking about earlier. With the cost of living increasing almost every day and every news story usually involved price rises for every aspect of life, what if our favourite streaming services started charging more than the typical rate of £9.99 per month, would you continue to pay this? It might seem like we are so used to streaming music that it would be very hard to go without it, but is there a limit you would pay for the privilege of streaming digital content each month?

THANKFULLY so far there has been no announcement (that I know about) of price increases, but I wouldn’t personally rule it out of the equation when everything else is going up.

What are your thoughts?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
LiamSime
post 27th February 2022, 11:12 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,683

I personally would pay more, otherwise I wouldn’t have anything to listen to music on. Obviously I would prefer to keep paying a tenner a month but if there was a price increase I would keep paying, I personally listen to music regularly though, so I get a big benefit out of it.

+Quote this post
Waverly
post 27th February 2022, 11:36 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 12,645

Me too. I think it's easy to take streaming for granted now but compared to the download/CD era it's incredible value for money. It might have ruined the charts but for the (legal) access to music and convience I could never go back now.

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 28th February 2022, 12:40 AM
Post #4
Group icon
CROWN THE WITCH
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

Paying for Spotify is definitely worth it imo. You will get no ads and it will be a lot quicker going through all the tracks. You are also able to listen to a lot of the tracks in the catalogue which will not be possible with the same price for a couple of CDs. Finally, you have the tailored playlists for your own wishes, like new releases, genre playlists and whatnot. The only downside I could imagine would be the sound quality, so audiophiles may not find this worth it.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 28th February 2022, 12:53 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

Yes definitely. Music is important to me and I really enjoy the way streaming has made so much music accessible. I have made so many different playlists and would like to keep them/continue to make more.

Not to mention the ads on spotify kind of drive me crazy. A co-worker has the free version and the amount of times I've heard the Billie Eilish ad laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 28th February 2022, 01:00 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

I use Apple Music and I think I would pay more if the prices did rise.

I currently pay annually which is £99 a year (saving roughly £20 a year doing it that way to monthly)

One good thing about streaming is that I can always listen to an album now before buying it something which you couldn’t really do before.

I probably buy less music now unless I really stan the artist but I definitely listen to more music as well I still buy music what I really do enjoy but streaming is accessible when I’m on walks or commuting to work on office days and the quality is higher too. The choice is there too I own so much music on CD but it can be hard to find if I ever wanted to play a specific album where as with streaming it’s just a search bar away.

Plus with streaming I can now listen to albums explicit versions what were never released on CD examples of this being The Fame Monster and Rated R. So I think I probably would (although I think doing it annually is a good thing if you’re able too as you do save even if it’s just a small amount it’s a save).

This post has been edited by Jord: 28th February 2022, 01:02 AM

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 28th February 2022, 08:39 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

Im actually surprised they're not increasing prices
I mean first you offer it pretty cheap, once people are dependable on it, you increase the prices

especially here in Scandinavia fr instance, the monthly price is cheap compared to cost of life
it's basically the price of 2 coffees in a café here biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
DJ Cheeky Magpie
post 28th February 2022, 09:11 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Pineapple 🍍
User: 33,062

Yes on Apple Music with better then Spotify keep all now music cd in Apple Music iCloud and use do my singles chart with pef official one theses days. Only downside streaming don’t get compilation albums normal the hits album and now album start now get just some top 5 album cd sea power missing. Streaming has made mass album chart singles chart that official chart fault rule don’t work stop songs on playlist count chart

+Quote this post
Jade
post 28th February 2022, 09:22 AM
Post #9
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Yes I would if that's what it came to. As someone who lives and breathes music (obviously) I get so much use out of it, especially as I work from home most of the week now. I have no idea how I put up with the free version of Spotify for so long but I don't think I could ever go back to the ad interruptions now.

I do collect vinyl too although I have tried to slow it down a bit this year as it's a pretty expensive hobby and my storage space is filling up fast after already expanding it.

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 28th February 2022, 09:39 AM
Post #10
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

Apple Music no way. I used to love it for the sound quality but it is so slow with loading and glitchy. It's really not worth it.

Spotify all the way. Whatever the price I will stay.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 28th February 2022, 09:49 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

It's worth bearing in mind that the Spotify price structure means that we already pay more in the UK than subscribers in Europe (who pay €10) and the US ($10).

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 28th February 2022, 10:38 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Feb 28 2022, 10:49 AM) *
It's worth bearing in mind that the Spotify price structure means that we already pay more in the UK than subscribers in Europe (who pay €10) and the US ($10).

guess it depends on EU country, here in Denmark it's about 15 euros

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 28th February 2022, 11:28 AM
Post #13
Group icon

By comparison, how do premium services from the likes of Amazon, YouTube, Deezer and Tidal compare (for those who use such services of course)? What’s the average price per month?

+Quote this post
danG
post 28th February 2022, 12:27 PM
Post #14
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I’d probably be tempted to join my family’s apple music family plan if spotify increased to 15 a month.

or just sail the seven seas pirate.gif

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 2nd May 2024, 06:26 PM
Post #15
Group icon

QUOTE(Daan @ 28th February 2022, 01:27 PM) *
I’d probably be tempted to join my family’s apple music family plan if spotify increased to 15 a month.

Well it’s getting there, in the last year Spotify Premium has gone up from £9.99 per month to £10.99 per month, and from June 2024 will cost £11.99 per month, representing a 20% increase in less than a year. mellow.gif

+Quote this post
conorw
post 2nd May 2024, 07:44 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 137,667

I saw the email today and it’s kinda annoying to see it so soon, it wasn’t too long ago it already went up. I will still end up paying as it’s only a pound more and I’ve got all my music data, playlists and everything all there but it’s kinda taking the piss

+Quote this post
Smint
post 2nd May 2024, 08:11 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

Complete pisstake especially as Spotify have announced record profits of over €1 billion but with precious little going to artists. Virtual monopoly but heh that's Capitalism for you I'll subscribe still as just too convenient but meh

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 3rd May 2024, 12:05 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

My Apple Music went up from 9.99 to 10.99 last April and still think it’s well worth it. Didn’t realise you can save paying for a year rather than monthly though so might look into that!

+Quote this post
No Sleeep
post 3rd May 2024, 08:35 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 22,008

Streaming services in general are very very underpriced. Obviously from a consumer point of view, that’s a good thing, but art is so devalued right now, artists shouldn’t have to tour to earn a living. It’s the services own fault for pricing themselves so low to begin with, it’s like how Uber “disrupted” the taxi market with low prices and now it’s just cheaper to get a normal taxi. It’s hard to make people pay more for something when they’re used to it being so cheap - like I refuse to ever pay for YouTube as it’s something I used to get for free.

So basically I think they kinda shot themselves in the foot by pricing so low to begin with, it was always unsustainable. Now people are naturally going to think they’re getting ripped off when really they’re paying slightly closer to it’s true value

This post has been edited by No Sleeep: 3rd May 2024, 08:42 AM

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 3rd May 2024, 01:30 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ 28th February 2022, 10:49 AM) *

Or we pay less - £8.25 a month if you buy a 12 month Spotify gift card - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spotify-Premium-Gi...C127&sr=8-1

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 19th May 2024, 12:01 PM