BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> **FINISHED PG 10** Joseph's Hit 300 | Year-End 2022, welcome to joseph's house
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 11th December 2022, 01:53 PM
Post #21
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

TV: Comedy (Sitcoms / Panel)

1 Big Boys | Series 1
2 Mock the Week | Series 21
3 Abbott Elementary | Seasons 1-2
4 Mrs Brown's Boys | Specials

One of the most genius TV shows I watched this year was Big Boys, a new comedy drama from Jack Rooke about a fictional version of himself. Dylan Llewellyn stars as Jack, while Jon Pointing plays his extroverted, heterosexual flatmate. There was so much to appreciate; the camaraderie of Dylan and Jon playing gay and straight characters without even a hint of romance thrown in was refreshing to see, and the humour felt so perfectly tailored to my generation. References to iconic 2000s pop culture such as Tracy Beaker and The Xtra Factor were so well-timed, and I loved it. Special shout-out to the incredible Camille Coduri who plays Jack's mum so brilliantly!

Panel show Mock the Week came to a close this year with a fantastic final series, while American mockumentary Abbott Elementary captured mine and everyone's hearts with genius storylines and brilliant humour set in a primary school. Bringing up the rear is Mrs Brown's Boys, which I always enjoy each year but at this point, last year's episodes were so long ago that I have very little recollection of what happened...!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
danG
post 11th December 2022, 02:18 PM
Post #22
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I'd been watching Mock the Week for over a decade, so a big shame to have seen it come to an end this year. At least there'll always be scenes we'd like to see compilations on YouTube I guess.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 11th December 2022, 02:22 PM
Post #23
Group icon

I watched it years back when my parents had it on, and I got back into it over lockdown through those exact compilations! Shame it's over, I'm hoping it'll get picked up by Dave still.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 11th December 2022, 03:05 PM
Post #24
Group icon

TV: Competition Shows

1 The Traitors | Series 1
2 Big Brother / Celebrity Big Brother (US) | Season 24 / Season 3
3 Big Brother Canada | Season 10
4 This Is MY House | Series 2
5 The Apprentice | Series 16
6 Gordon Ramsay's Future Food Stars | Series 1
7 I'm a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here! | Series 22
8 RuPaul's Drag Race UK | Series 4
9 RuPaul's Drag Race / RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars | Season 14 / Season 7
10 The Masked Singer | Series 3
11 Strictly Come Dancing | Series 20
12 Britain's Got Talent | Series 15
13 The Amazing Race | Season 34
14 The Great British Bake Off | Series 13
15 Walk the Line | Series 2
16 RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under | Season 2
17 The Masked Dancer | Series 1

By far the most vast category is competition shows, with a whopping 17 vying for this one! Coming on top, amazingly, is The Traitors, which hasn't even aired a full series yet. Perhaps this is hasty of me, but I've been GRIPPED to the series so far and it's both an absolute hoot, and genuinely intriguing to watch from a gameplay perspective. The format is brilliant and Claudia Winkleman is an exceptional choice for host. It hasn't put a foot wrong yet and I struggle to see that happening in the remainder of the series. Of course, completing a top 3 of lying and manipulation are the American and Canadian versions of Big Brother. For the second year in a row, US comes out on top. It had more than its fair share of horrible houseguests this year, but good triumphed over evil with Taylor winning and muffin man Turner making top 3. The Canadian version was strong as ever, with master manipulator Kevin coming out on top with only one competition win to his name. Impressive gameplay on display this year so I'm excited for BBCan to start back up in March!

The barmy but addictive This Is MY House returned for a second season, without Stacey Dooley hosting but the charm of the show wasn't lost as four people had to pretend the house was theirs to win a cash prize. One of the funniest shows around for sure! The Apprentice returned after a covid-enforced hiatus and was equally silly somehow, but it's must-watch viewing and its January return is very much anticipated by me. Classic formats including Strictly Come Dancing and Britain's Got Talent also feature in this category with solid returns, and I'm a Celebrity is hindered only by the presence of Matt Hancock in what was otherwise another great series.

Three international formats of Drag Race feature. The UK version was my favourite as it often is, with the added benefit of humour that is fully catered to my taste. The top 2 of Danny Beard and Cheddar Gorgeous was spot on and we added an exceptional winner with the former. US season 14 was a big step up from the tedious 13, and the All-Winners season of All Stars was my first season of the spin-off that I watched. The quality was immense, even if I think The Vivienne deserved better. The Australian edition returned for an improved second season, though still not one of the most essential shows I've seen this year.

Elsewhere, an exciting new format arrived in the form of Gordon Ramsay's Future Food Stars - basically the Apprentice but specifically for budding chefs and restauranteurs - with Gordon himself being on top form. The Masked Singer remains great, though The Masked Dancer is much more nonsensical and less good, even if it's light fun viewing. I've watched bits of The Amazing Race in the past but decided to commit to the full series with Big Brother alumni Claire and Derek X taking part, it was a fun ride although not sure I'll be watching every single year. Bake Off was good but it wasn't a vintage series this year, and Simon Cowell's latest format Walk the Line wasn't renewed for a second series, but it wasn't bad, was decent viewing this time last year.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 11th December 2022, 03:20 PM
Post #25
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

I think The Traitors might be my favourite show of the year I know thats hasty but im GRIPPED.

+Quote this post
Cow P
post 12th December 2022, 12:50 AM
Post #26
Group icon
Cowcow no Frieren
User: 127,479

While I'm not quite familiar with TV Shows & Entertainments there, I actually used to follow The Amazing Race back then from until S31 (quite sure u watched this season too x), so it's good to see it on your list —might try to catch up the latest seasons in the future—. Watched a lot of The Masked Singer clips on YouTube too and I liked it!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 12th December 2022, 08:22 PM
Post #27
Group icon

Thanks guys!!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 12th December 2022, 08:28 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Feels very sad to see Mock the Week come to an end given how long it's been going! I also watched The Apprentice and of course BGT from that section and enjoyed both.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 12th December 2022, 08:45 PM
Post #29
Group icon

TV: Returning Drama

1 Stranger Things | Season 4
2 Manifest | Season 4
3 Doctor Who | Specials
4 Alex Rider | Series 1-2
5 Good Trouble | Season 4
6 Young Royals | Season 2
7 Locke & Key | Season 3
8 One of Us Is Lying | Seasons 1-2
9 Nancy Drew | Season 3
10 Superman & Lois | Seasons 1-2
11 Legacies | Season 4
12 Fate: The Winx Saga | Season 2
13 Love, Victor | Season 3

Last year's winner, Outer Banks, hasn't yet released its third season, so it was anyone's game this year for this category. However, as soon as I watched season 4 of Stranger Things, the game was as good as done. The mammoth fourth season could easily have drained on me with its long episode lengths, but it was quite the opposite. It gripped me for every second, which is remarkable, especially during its feature length finale. Special shoutouts to the likes of Sadie Sink, Joe Keery, Caleb McLaughlin and Millie Bobby Brown, but every cast member had their chance to shine and it was such a remarkable season. I can't believe there's only one more to come!

Also on its fourth season, the first half of Manifest's final season arrived recently and it was top notch once again. I'm not ready for this show to end but I can't wait to hear all of the answers to the many mysteries on hand! Shoutout to Ty Doran who slotted amazingly into the role of an older Cal. Of course, my perennial fave Doctor Who has to feature, though it's been a mixed bag for 2022 with two great specials and one terrible one. Nevertheless, Jodie Whittaker's tenure ended on a spectacular high with the brilliant The Power of the Doctor, a celebration not just of her run as the Doctor but of the classic era too.

2022 discoveries Alex Rider and One of Us is Lying feature in this section. The former, based on the book series about a spy, ticked all the boxes and I can't wait for series 3, which I believe has been filming recently. The latter was a solid Netflix teen drama, with its second season arriving recently and upping the stakes brilliantly from its predecessor. Young Royals also delivered on its second season, albeit once again having too few episodes, and Fate: The Winx Saga took a big stride forward with its second outing. Sadly, the latter show was cancelled.

Good Trouble remains a big favourite of mine, despite the departure of Maia Mitchell as protagonist Callie. It goes to show how strong and compelling the core cast are in all of their individual storylines, with Emma Hunton shining the most as Davia for me. Locke & Key wrapped up its final season with another strong showing, albeit probably my least favourite yet (says a lot about the other two!), and Nancy Drew performs consistently with the tail end of its third season. It has a fourth and final season on the way in 2023. Its fellow CW show, Legacies, also finished with its fourth season, though I found myself getting a little bored by the end of its run.

Completing the set are two polarising shows. I'm not much of a superhero fan, but I checked out Superman & Lois at the very end of 2021 as BBC1 started airing the first season. Cast members Tyler Hoechlin (Teen Wolf) and Elizabeth Tulloch (Grimm) drew me in, but the plots have helped me stick around. I like the real-world approach to the characters while maintaining the excitement of a superhero show! On the other hand, a show I expected to love, and have loved in the past, I wasn't so big on Love, Victor's final outing. It felt unsatisfying as we never got to see Victor and Benji's relationship develop, and though I was initially rooting for them, it felt as if the writers had to paper over the cracks to wrap the series up. Too many characters and too few episodes meant it felt underbaked all round unfortunately, and though I don't like to make comparisons between LGBTQ+ friendly shows, Heartstopper definitely overshadowed it hugely this year.

NEXT: my 10 favourite TV stars of 2022!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 13th December 2022, 07:18 AM
Post #30
Group icon

TV Star of 2022

1 Matthew Turner
2 Kit Connor and Joe Locke
3 Alison Hammond
4 Jodie Whittaker
5 Taylor Hale
6 Sadie Sink
7 Claudia Winkleman
8 Joe Keery
9 Michael McIntyre
10 Gordon Ramsay

Undoubtedly, the TV star who captured my attention this year was Big Brother 24's Matthew Turner. Initially fading into the background, Turner emerged as the star of the show through a rivalry with Jasmine Davis, who he'd ended up paired with for a few weeks in the first half of the game. Their love/hate relationship made for hilarious TV, that peaked when Turner ate half of Jasmine's muffin, sending her on the most insane investigation around the house to find out who ate it. Turner revelled in the chaos and it was pure hilarity! As far as gameplay went, Turner wasn't the best player of the summer (more on that late), but he was definitely the most entertaining and meme-worthy, and for that he's already become a Big Brother icon for me.

Kit Connor and Joe Locke could only feature together, I can't possibly separate them, but their performances in Heartstopper easily earn them the title of best actors of 2022, just a couple of spots above Jodie Whittaker who shone in her final year as the Thirteenth Doctor. Two Stranger Things actors feature as well. Sadie Sink was the undeniable star of the fourth season, particularly in the episode where Vecna attempts to kill her and we get *that* Kate Bush scene. Joe Keery continued to capture my heart as the loveable Steve, who thankfully made it through into the fifth season in one piece!

Big Brother winner Taylor Hale also features in the list. Though Turner was my personal favourite, it was Taylor's journey that defined the season for sure. From being targeted not just in the game but also as a person early on, Taylor ensured each one of her detractors was sent packing one-by-one, making a triumphant journey to the end of the game where she won the game comfortably.

TV presenters make up the rest of the list. Alison Hammond just lights up my screen whenever I see her on anything, and of course she reliably brings the memes and hilarious moments. Claudia Winkleman was already the star of Strictly Come Dancing, but The Traitors has only solidified her position as one of the best presenters we have. The Wheel ensures Michael McIntyre features thanks to his comedic timing, and Gordon Ramsay's fiery tongue on Future Food Stars earns him a place on the list.

NEXT: a brief look at the movies I watched in 2022.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 13th December 2022, 06:55 PM
Post #31
Group icon

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Dec 12 2022, 08:28 PM) *
Feels very sad to see Mock the Week come to an end given how long it's been going! I also watched The Apprentice and of course BGT from that section and enjoyed both.

Thanks so much Pete! It was a shame, especially when there's more material than ever to make fun of (and if you don't laugh at current affairs these days, you'll cry laugh.gif)

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 13th December 2022, 07:55 PM
Post #32
Group icon

Movies

Along for the Ride
Don't Worry Darling
Dune
Encanto
Marry Me
My Policeman
The Kissing Booth 3

I watched a fair few films this year compared to normal, though all bar one have been in my own time at home! My favourite would be Don't Worry Darling, the one I ventured to the cinema for. With poor reviews about both the plot and Harry Styles' acting, I was pleasantly surprised by both, with the freaky plot sticking in my mind way after the film ended. Harry's acting was just fine, too, just as it was in My Policeman, a touching if not entirely thorough portrayal of a tragic gay love story. The cinematic Dune was a good albeit long watch at the end of 2021, Encanto was a lot of fun and the songs really grew on me, and The Kissing Booth 3 rounded out a trilogy I "quite liked" on the whole. Rom coms fill up the other 2 spots, with Netflix's Along for the Ride being very run-of-the-mill but cute regardless, and the J-Lo starring Marry Me being corny and cringy, but it produced a banging soundtrack *.*

+Quote this post
conorw
post 13th December 2022, 08:39 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 137,667

Stranger Things, Heartstopper/ Kit & Joe and Allison Hammond Appreciation cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 13th December 2022, 08:54 PM
Post #34
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

I still remember checking the BBTwitter tag and seeing you get attacked by Taylor stans for liking Turner more

that fandom will attack anyone and everyone who doesn't bend to their every whim

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 13th December 2022, 09:02 PM
Post #35
Group icon

QUOTE(Conorw @ Dec 13 2022, 08:39 PM) *
Stranger Things, Heartstopper/ Kit & Joe and Allison Hammond Appreciation cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png

Iconic, all of them cheeseblock.png

QUOTE(CodySleighBell-y @ Dec 13 2022, 08:54 PM) *
I still remember checking the BBTwitter tag and seeing you get attacked by Taylor stans for liking Turner more

that fandom will attack anyone and everyone who doesn't bend to their every whim

Genuinely!!! The fandom is toxic but I did enjoy BBTwitter for the most part, it was the most I've ever engaged in it. I just didn't enjoy how they directed hate at everyone who didn't play for Taylor to win tearsmile.gif I always loved them both and was by no means gutted at the Taylor win! heart.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 14th December 2022, 03:07 AM
Post #36
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

Omg hi!

I'll work my way backwards through the categories posted so far *.*

So I've not actually seen any movie that you've seen this year! The two Harry Styles starring films are definitely mowvies I intend to watch at some point (not sure why I haven't at least got around to My Policeman yet considering it's easy to access on Prime), I'll have to get on with that. Also curious about Marry Me and Dune!

No surprise to see Turner on top of your TV stars! I never did make the time to try out that series of BB unfortunately, but maybe you'll get me hooked someday laugh.gif Joe & Kit very worthy at #2 and the ICON that is Alison in third, we love to see it!! At least we know that Claudia Winkleman is #1 in your Turtleneck Wearing Stars of 2022 cheeseblock.png

Stranger Things S4 being your favourite returning drama, that feels right heart.gif What a truly epic season it was! I think I might just about prefer it to Season 1. Lots of other fantastic shows in this list. I love that Good Trouble practically feels like a well kept secret between us both! laugh.gif I would love for it to get more recognition - so many hard-hitting and thoughtful storylines, and so many characters that I truly care about. It's a winner! As you know I binged Young Royals S1&2 very recently and after what felt like a bit of a slow start to me, I ended up really getting into it (I was particularly gripped by the Rousseau the horse storyline, of course xxx kink.gif! ). Having 12 episodes to watch in one go made that feel like a full season for me. I can appreciate that it actually just being 6 episodes must make it feel like quite a brief watch. One Of Us Is Lying definitely upped the stakes in Season 2. So many twists! When I first glanced your list and saw Love, Victor at the bottom, my reaction was actually physically nodding and saying "fair" aloud! laugh.gif Season 3 was sadly so disappointing. It felt rushed and like they were racing towards a conclusion that really needed perhaps a couple more seasons to feel properly fleshed out. Character development felt stunted and too much of the show overall focused on Victor and Benji arguing with each other and barely getting along. I actually found it hard to root for them eventually. A shame!

The Traitors flying into first position in competition shows - incredible! It's had such an impact on me, I think about the show so often! laugh.gif It really is TV gold, everything has fallen into place with this, right down to Claudia being the absolute perfect host. Drag Race UK S4 had its ups and downs for sure... maybe a slight improvement on S3, but I think the huge high of S2 is going to be hard to replicate again. The latest series of GBBO is probably the one I've enjoyed the least... maybe it's impressive to have watched 12 years worth of it before feeling fatigued, but it's finally hit me. Very much a series which I had on in the background while being more interested in looking at my phone instead, oop.

Comedy: Big Boys and Abbots Elementary are two of my favourite new shows this year for sure. Both succeeded in having the perfect mix of great humour and genuinely powerful heartfelt moments. heart.gif

A flawless Top 3 for TV: New Drama! That night we stayed up and watched the entirety of Heartstopper was honestly a highlight of my year, it was so fun to experience that first viewing with you! wub.gif Absolutely my #1 show of the year as well. I'm so pleased that you ended up really liking Heartbreak High. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect when I gave it a go, what with it being a reboot of a 90s show, but it surprised me and exceeded my expectations! Very well written, and I appreciated that it approached various serious issues in a realistic and thoughtful way while also being entertaining alongside it - I think that's a balancing act that some shows can't quite pull off, but this one did. Quinni! heart.gif Wreck made for rather surreal viewing but it was very compelling! Otherwise I've only seen Queer as Folk reboot and that was definitely a let down unfortunately, I can't say I'm bothered that we're not getting a Season 2.

Utopia - can't believe it's almost 10 years since Series 1! With it being so long since I watched it, my memories regarding the plot are quite hazy, but what I could never forget is how dark and foreboding it was in tone, and so very violent!!

I'll end this essay now! What a great year of TV it's been though, and many of your ultimate favourites are mine as well. The taste!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 14th December 2022, 05:11 PM
Post #37
Group icon

Thank you for such an in-depth reply Jay!! wub.gif It's much appreciated! Glad we shared so many shows this year *.*

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 14th December 2022, 05:13 PM
Post #38
Group icon

For the second year running, I will be handing out the Hit 300 Awards, honouring my favourite artists of the year as well as my favourite era and music video. See below for a list of categories!

Artist of the Year
North American Pop Soloist
British Pop Soloist
European Pop Soloist
Australian Pop Soloist
Pop Group
Hip-Hop / R&B Artist
Alternative Artist
Live Artist of the Year
Breakthrough Artist
Best Era
Special Recognition
Best Music Video
Comeback of the Year

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 14th December 2022, 07:19 PM
Post #39
Group icon

British Pop Soloist: Michael Aldag

I've been aware of Michael Aldag for a short while but hadn't really checked out much of his music. I listened to his debut single, Entitled, which sounded good and showed his clear potential as an artist, but was definitely unpolished. I heard and liked singles Tonsillitis and LOML in late 2021, but Michael really came into his own in 2022. Early in the year, he released the brilliant Teenage Drama, a song that was love at first listen for me and peaked at #1 in my chart, and I subsequently found a new love for his previous material, including standalone single Ghosted (released between Tonsillitis and LOML) that I for some reason had entirely missed! His debut EP came in late 2022; SOCIALIZING featured six new songs, three of which have made my chart's top 10. Michael's sharp observations and brutally honest lyrics placed over catchy, infectious production make him a must-watch artist for the future, and I've just booked a ticket to see him live next year (I've only seen him play a small intimate acoustic show so far, though I did meet him afterwards!), which I cannot wait for!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 14th December 2022, 08:08 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I hadn't heard of Michael Aldag before but I'm liking this song a lot! His voice is great and I really like how the song builds throughout.

+Quote this post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 6th May 2024, 10:16 AM