BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
20 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The UK and transphobia
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 10th February 2022, 06:25 PM
Post #81
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Slightly irritated/upset by this today.

BBC Radio seems to have an obsession with trans people and my parents are starting to pick up on it. "Did you know J00ps that actually trans people CAN'T compete in sport because it's not fair on women? The radio explained it all".

It's not like the BBC doesn't know that for years its been trusted as a conveyor of multiply-checked facts. "We're just showing balance" alright fair enough but you KNOW that a certain percent of your listeners are going to take whatever you say as gospel rather than just one speaker's opinion.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 25th March 2022, 01:59 PM
Post #82
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

...I would never show my face again

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 25th March 2022, 03:08 PM
Post #83
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

That really speaks volumes...

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 25th March 2022, 03:56 PM
Post #84
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Quite. If I shared any opinions with him then it would make me seriously reflect on whether I should be rethinking

+Quote this post
Smint
post 17th May 2022, 11:06 PM
Post #85
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

After the Times posted a very dodgy anti trans story today and Owen Jones tried to find more information about it he got more harrasment on twitter. This inspired this wonderful monologue from him advocating the right ot trans people till he dies. clap.gif

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1526669272654745602

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 19th June 2022, 05:37 PM
Post #86
Group icon

Trans women barred from competing in swimming with cis women. Talk of creating a 'third category'.

Amusingly (darkly), in the decision, the swimming association said that no trans person who had not fully transitioned by age 12 would be allowed to compete in the women's category, seemingly accidentally supporting full transition for preteens or at the least, the use of puberty blockers - something that transphobes tend to be vehemently against.

This is international but will affect UK competitors and no doubt the Guardian 'feminists' are itching to write about how thrilled they are.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 20th June 2022, 09:54 AM
Post #87
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Cycling's governing body, the UCI, has toughened its rules on transgender eligibility by doubling the period of time before a rider transitioning from male to female can compete.

Previous regulations required riders to have had testosterone levels below five nanomoles per litre (nmol/L) for a 12-month period prior to competition.

The UCI has changed the permitted level to 2.5 nmol/L for a 24-month period.

It says the new rules have been brought in following "new scientific studies".

The UCI's transgender policy had been under review after being brought into the spotlight by British rider Emily Bridges, one of cycling's most high-profile transgender competitors.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 20th June 2022, 10:15 AM
Post #88
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

That FINA has not entirely thought through the consequences of their actions is just peak FINA. Useless shower of c**ts

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 20th June 2022, 11:15 AM
Post #89
Group icon

Indeed typical FINA. Hasn't Sharron Davies been the most vocal in regards to trans woman being banned from completing against woman?

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 20th June 2022, 07:52 PM
Post #90
Group icon

World Athletics president Lord Coe has hinted the sport could follow swimming in banning transgender women from elite female competitions, insisting "fairness is non-negotiable".

Swimming's world governing body Fina voted on Sunday to stop trans athletes from competing in women's elite races if they have gone through any part of the process of male puberty.

The landmark decision set swimming apart from almost all other Olympic sports, with most using testosterone limits as a basis for inclusion.

But Lord Coe has now revealed that World Athletics is set to discuss adopting a new eligibility policy, and welcomed Fina's move.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 21st June 2022, 03:15 PM
Post #91
Group icon

Transgender players have been banned from women's internationals while rugby league's governing body does further research on its inclusion policy.

International Rugby League (IRL) said it wanted to "balance the individual's right to participate... against perceived risk to other participants".

Personally I don't have any problems with transgender people taking part in women's sport at all.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 28th June 2022, 11:16 PM
Post #92
Group icon

Nadine Dorries has told the heads of UK sporting bodies that "elite and competitive women's sport must be reserved for people born of the female sex".

Dorries met representatives from 15 sports including football, cricket, rugby, tennis and athletics plus UK Sport and Sport England bosses.

Swimming's world governing body Fina recently voted to stop transgender athletes from competing in women's elite events if they have gone through any part of the male puberty process.

Britain's Olympic diving champion Tom Daley has said he is "furious" at Fina's decision.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 29th June 2022, 04:31 PM
Post #93
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

My gut view is that this feels less black and white than most trans rights issues. Most are hatred and ignorance but I don’t know whether this one is actually based on science or not? I guess it’s possible simply because the original theory is that men and women were originally separated by potential genetic capabilities for sport. A blanket ban doesn’t feel right at all though.

I wouldn’t be personally bothered if I were in a sport as I’d treat everyone equally as people who were likely to beat me biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 29th June 2022, 07:08 PM
Post #94
Group icon

I don't agree with banning it until testing has been done.

It feels like sour grapes that as soon as ONE trans competitor in ONE sport starts doing well, the cis world gets cold feet.

It feels like then they only made trans participation accepted in the first case under the assumption that it would never actually occur in life, which feels incredibly mean spirited.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 29th June 2022, 10:34 PM
Post #95
Group icon

I don't want to see a blanket ban in all sports either

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 29th June 2022, 11:09 PM
Post #96
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Unfortunately an issue that transphobes can use to their advantage as unlike most transphobia, there's a few aspects to the sporting issue that do bear consideration. Having gone through male puberty does make a difference (and hence puberty blockers should be more widely available but as if transphobes would be that thinking or considerate).

However, it's not just puberty though, lowered testoterone levels make a difference, the fact that trans people are a huge minority compared to cis people makes a difference (and even more of a minority in sports than their population proportion would suggest; somewhat unsurprisingly, the HRT process doesn't exactly lend itself well to a life of training to be top in a sport).

It's like, an advantage that would be the same as any athlete being stronger than another. Maybe on a macro level trans women tend to be above average for women in strength but that's a very different thing to them actively taking part in a sport.

Going too hard on the issue also opens up the issue of 'how do you check?' which is very open to abuse especially at lower levels of sport. That's happening in American red states right now. :/

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 6th September 2022, 04:18 PM
Post #97
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

There's been a hugely popular #YoungGCWomenUnite hashtag on Twitter and James Dreyfus has agreed...

There seems to be an ongoing commentary about Trans issues, certainly in the UK. Do we know why that is?

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 6th September 2022, 06:24 PM
Post #98
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

QUOTE(dannjohn @ Sep 6 2022, 05:18 PM) *
There's been a hugely popular #YoungGCWomenUnite hashtag on Twitter and James Dreyfus has agreed...

There seems to be an ongoing commentary about Trans issues, certainly in the UK. Do we know why that is?

Most likely due to JK Rowling's tweet in 2020 about menstruation which has snowballed in a number of ways since.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 8th September 2022, 10:10 AM
Post #99
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

The vacuum of intelligence that is the new PM has decided that a major priority will be to blow up the UKs current constitutional arrangements by trying to torpedo a bill within the competence of the Scottish Parliament. The population of Scotland overwhelmingly support this, all but the Tories at Holyrood support this bill (a super majority), and talk about inflaming separatist sentiments by imposing ideology from London that is contrary to the stated will of the people…from a person with 0 mandate from the people of Scotland. The Tories just keep gifting us more and more reasons for independence and so so so much free campaign material

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 8th October 2022, 12:02 PM
Post #100
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

Impressive stuff by Sturgeon here — I wish more politicians (Labour...) had this clarity and conviction when discussing trans people.

+Quote this post

20 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th May 2024, 10:07 PM