BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Doctor Who • Boom, Season 1, Episode 3 | 18th May 2024
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Calum
post Tuesday, 04:50 PM
Post #1
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

Making this week's thread a bit early as it's all I'm seeing on Twitter at the moment among Doctor Who fans.

Steven Moffat returns to Doctor Who; his first script since Twice Upon a Time, with what reviews are saying is instantly the best thing of RTD2, that it's Moffat at his best, a triumphant return, and much more!

VERY excited for this episode, deliver the goods Moffat wub.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post Tuesday, 04:56 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,002

Looking forward to this ep, fingers crossed it’s a step up from the first 2 eps.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Tuesday, 05:59 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Has he got his eyes covered? Wonder why

+Quote this post
Severin
post Tuesday, 07:08 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

Cautiously optimistic about this, given the early reviews.

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post Tuesday, 07:53 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

We need Moffat back.

+Quote this post
Severin
post Saturday, 01:25 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

Boom is a vast improvement on the previous episodes. It's not perfect of course and I don't think anyone will call ot Moffat's best work on the show but it ticks all the right boxes, allows the cast to actually do something that isn't just running around and it isn't silly thankfully. It also doesn't pander to the youngest viewers, instead it's pitched at just the right level.
There's still some clunky dialogue and a lot of plot convenience but if you try not to think about it too much it works.

And then there's still loads of in your face references to him being a father and this time Susan Twist is so foreground, you'd have to think that when she appears next episode they have to recognise that face. Varada Sethu looks like a decent signing as future companion Mundy Flynn too.

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post Saturday, 01:53 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Still dogshite, but ig shows that only Moffat can save this show

+Quote this post
Dexton
post Saturday, 02:49 PM
Post #8
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

Much better than the other two, though it’s definitely gonna bug me when we find out nothing this season has actually happened and it’s all been in some sort of twisted reality / fake dimension

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post Saturday, 03:14 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(Dexton @ 18th May 2024, 03:49 PM) *
Much better than the other two, though it’s definitely gonna bug me when we find out nothing this season has actually happened and it’s all been in some sort of twisted reality / fake dimension

They already did that storyline, and with MUCH better writing, with Twelve!!

+Quote this post
Calum
post Saturday, 05:19 PM
Post #10
Group icon
nabad

Honestly that episode was incredible, was gripped all the way through and it was Moffat at his very best. Seems like taking some time away from the show has benefitted him hugely because if he's coming back with stories like these, YES PLEASE. And Ncuti's performance in this episode was absolutely brilliant. Standing on the same spot for the majority of the episode yet still delivering so many powerful moments. He's the Doctor. heart.gif

Was SHOOK at Varada showing up ohmy.gif I was doubting myself whether it was actually her and couldn't see anybody else commenting on Twitter while watching at midnight laugh.gif but she was very good in this episode, and my god that scene with Ruby had me audibly gasping because god knows watching and not knowing whether they actually would have killed her there given all the mystery with her arc. I'm not convinced that when Varada does turn up again in Series 15 she's actually going to be 'Mundy Flynn', because she's clearly been planted in this episode for a reason. The name being so similar to Ruby's, the 'next of kin' glitch for Ruby, etc, etc. Moffat Oswin Oswalded us again though and I'm so here for it!!

I think some of the pieces will start coming together now, because I think that's the first time the Doctor has actually seen Susan Twist's face (he had his back turned to her in The Devil's Chord, and they weren't looking at the monitor in Space Babies). So if she appears again before the finale I'll be shocked if the Doctor doesn't double take.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Saturday, 05:45 PM
Post #11
Group icon
nabad

Also the callback to the Villengard corporation from The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances was so neat, such a minor detail from 20 years ago but picking it up and running with it to make a fantastic story. Moffat cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Saturday, 09:58 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Enjoyed this! Definitely a welcome step up from the first two... Ncuti really held the episode together, agree with Calum that it was remarkable considering he could barely move throughout the episode. I think he's a good doctor, potentially very good if he gets some good scripts. I love that he doesn't just have one outfit too, I mean clearly one needs different outfits to co-ordinate with many different planets biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Sunday, 11:40 PM
Post #13
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

That's more like it! Moffat has his weaknesses as a writer, but when combined when RTD, he can pretty much give us the best of modern Doctor Who and while I wouldn't put this up there, it was a darn sight better than most the last era so we're good for now x Was so good to finally have a proper sense of tension and a menacing threat, I haven't been overly convinced by Gatwa yet, but he was excellent here. That's the first really convincing performance, Ruby as well, it felt like her in a real crisis situation showed what she was really like.

Unfortunately despite a brilliant start, it did lose a bit of momentum in the second half and became a bit too convoluted. The conclusion, while I get it, was a tad cheesy and social commentary interesting, but just a bit muddled. The world created was intriguing but underdeveloped, I wish there was an extra scene to give a bit more insight into it. It was pretty much all communicated through dialogue, which I know is a normal thing here, but show don't tell! Still, was good to see a proper Sci-Fi premise again as the last two had been leaning a bit too much into Fantasy which isn't really the crux of the show for me.

I hadn't been keeping up with news and I thought the Ruby Sunday > Mundy coincidence stood out, I guess most other fans are ahead of me already with that x

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Sunday, 11:40 AM
Post #14
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

From Lizo Mzimba:

Last night's Doctor Who episode Boom was watched by 2.04m UK viewers according to BARB overnight figures. These won't include people who watched early on iPlayer, so the overnights are much less significant than the consolidated figures which will include those numbers + catchup

+Quote this post
Calum
post Sunday, 11:46 AM
Post #15
Group icon
nabad

It's hilarious seeing the right-wing mob on Twitter trying to use the low ratings as an excuse to 'confirm' that the show is dead, that it's too woke, that Ncuti being a black Doctor has ruined the show... but every single one of them fail to mention that the show's been available for 18 hours on iPlayer already by the time it's aired on BBC One so of course the viewing figures are going to be lower. laugh.gif

People need to get out and touch grass.

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post Sunday, 12:07 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 175,892

QUOTE(Calum @ 19th May 2024, 12:46 PM) *
It's hilarious seeing the right-wing mob on Twitter trying to use the low ratings as an excuse to 'confirm' that the show is dead, that it's too woke, that Ncuti being a black Doctor has ruined the show... but every single one of them fail to mention that the show's been available for 18 hours on iPlayer already by the time it's aired on BBC One so of course the viewing figures are going to be lower. laugh.gif

People need to get out and touch grass.

I think we'll find the consolidated viewing figures are lower than normal anyway - think we get the one for Space Babies +7 tomorrow (or is it Tuesday? Whenever BARB update if it's even in the top programmes list with figures this low). Also if you think it's Ncuti being black people have an issue with rather than the complete destruction of the characters identity and the show's basis under Chibnall and from the opening scene of space babies I watched now under RTD era 2 that's the issue that's turning long time viewers away. 2.04m is a very low overnight even with the show available on iPlayer. Millions of viewers have turned off and aren't going to be brought back easily.

For context that is lowest overnight the show's ever had. The streaming numbers will need to be very impressive to off-set such a low overnight.

This post has been edited by DoBelieveTheHype: Sunday, 12:12 PM

+Quote this post
Calum
post Sunday, 01:23 PM
Post #17
Group icon
nabad

QUOTE(DoBelieveTheHype @ 19th May 2024, 01:07 PM) *
I think we'll find the consolidated viewing figures are lower than normal anyway - think we get the one for Space Babies +7 tomorrow (or is it Tuesday? Whenever BARB update if it's even in the top programmes list with figures this low). Also if you think it's Ncuti being black people have an issue with rather than the complete destruction of the characters identity and the show's basis under Chibnall and from the opening scene of space babies I watched now under RTD era 2 that's the issue that's turning long time viewers away. 2.04m is a very low overnight even with the show available on iPlayer. Millions of viewers have turned off and aren't going to be brought back easily.

For context that is lowest overnight the show's ever had. The streaming numbers will need to be very impressive to off-set such a low overnight.

I'm sorry but you simply cannot say that racism is not a factor (one of many, of course) in people deciding not to watch the show. Only today I've gone on Facebook and seen an article about Ncuti telling people to switch off if they don't like him, and almost every single comment beneath it are racist Facebook mums and more quite happily complying and making comments alluding to their views.

People can make a big deal out of how 2.04m is the lowest overnight figure in the show's history, but we wouldn't be in this position if it weren't for the show being available on iPlayer almost a full day prior to broadcast on BBC One.

Series 13's ratings (the last regular series excluding specials):

Episode / overnight / +7 (TV only) / +7 (TV + 4-screen)
Ep 01 4.43m 5.69m 5.81m
Ep 02 3.96m 5.02m 5.13m
Ep 03 3.76m 4.59m 4.70m
Ep 04 3.45m 4.47m 4.57m
Ep 05 3.82m 4.72m 4.83m
Ep 06 3.58m 4.53m 4.61m

Whatever argument you try and make for the Chibnall era having turned people off so much, the fact is there is absolutely no reason to believe there's been a major decline in viewership (particularly for a show that is now in its fourteenth series since being revived and that naturally the casual viewer will pay less attention to the longer it goes on). Each episode of series 13 added almost 1 million from overnight ratings to +7 (both TV only and 4-screen), and the overnights themselves were barely 1.5m more than what we are seeing just now (which seems like a perfectly natural difference in viewership taking into account those that will be watching on iPlayer at midnight or Saturday daytime when the episode is available prior to broadcast).

At the end of the day, only viewers in the UK are behaving scorned and dismayed at the viewing figures, because they feel entitled to have the show air at the most convenient time for them as opposed to the show branching out and reaching new audiences. Disney+ figures (and iPlayer performance compared to previous series') will be most important for the BBC and Disney themselves at the end of this run and will be the basis for what happens moving forward.

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post Sunday, 02:18 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(Calum @ 19th May 2024, 02:23 PM) *
I'm sorry but you simply cannot say that racism is not a factor (one of many, of course) in people deciding not to watch the show. Only today I've gone on Facebook and seen an article about Ncuti telling people to switch off if they don't like him, and almost every single comment beneath it are racist Facebook mums and more quite happily complying and making comments alluding to their views.

People can make a big deal out of how 2.04m is the lowest overnight figure in the show's history, but we wouldn't be in this position if it weren't for the show being available on iPlayer almost a full day prior to broadcast on BBC One.

Series 13's ratings (the last regular series excluding specials):

Episode / overnight / +7 (TV only) / +7 (TV + 4-screen)
Ep 01 4.43m 5.69m 5.81m
Ep 02 3.96m 5.02m 5.13m
Ep 03 3.76m 4.59m 4.70m
Ep 04 3.45m 4.47m 4.57m
Ep 05 3.82m 4.72m 4.83m
Ep 06 3.58m 4.53m 4.61m

Whatever argument you try and make for the Chibnall era having turned people off so much, the fact is there is absolutely no reason to believe there's been a major decline in viewership (particularly for a show that is now in its fourteenth series since being revived and that naturally the casual viewer will pay less attention to the longer it goes on). Each episode of series 13 added almost 1 million from overnight ratings to +7 (both TV only and 4-screen), and the overnights themselves were barely 1.5m more than what we are seeing just now (which seems like a perfectly natural difference in viewership taking into account those that will be watching on iPlayer at midnight or Saturday daytime when the episode is available prior to broadcast).

At the end of the day, only viewers in the UK are behaving scorned and dismayed at the viewing figures, because they feel entitled to have the show air at the most convenient time for them as opposed to the show branching out and reaching new audiences. Disney+ figures (and iPlayer performance compared to previous series') will be most important for the BBC and Disney themselves at the end of this run and will be the basis for what happens moving forward.

I've never said racism wasn't a factor. Racists exist and racist fans do exist, but making out that's the only reason people have turned away from the show since The Women Who Fell to Earth is rubbish. I'd be glad if you didn't try to put words in my mouth. The rot however started with Chibnall losing millions of viewers throughout the shows run, RTD is unlikely to bring most of those viewers back because the timeless child arc has destroyed the core foundations of the show. The fact the Doctor is now referring to himself as adopted just shows how much the rot has set in. The decline in viewership is a long term thing and let me be clear not RTD or Ncuti's fault - the rot had already set in and they're starting from a lower bar of interest from the public sadly.

We'll see with the consolidated figures tomorrow where things actually stand. Another forum I use someone has reported pre-transmission figures as 0.12/0.14m - so if those figures are anywhere near in the ballpark where not looking at it adding the 2m or so it needs to reach the same as the last Whittaker episodes . As I said - I've got plenty of classic who and pre-Chibnall New Who who to get on with watching. I'll watch these and any series after them when I do eventually catch up.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Sunday, 02:35 PM
Post #19
Group icon
nabad

QUOTE(DoBelieveTheHype @ 19th May 2024, 03:18 PM) *
I've never said racism wasn't a factor. Racists exist and racist fans do exist, but making out that's the only reason people have turned away from the show since The Women Who Fell to Earth is rubbish. I'd be glad if you didn't try to put words in my mouth. The rot however started with Chibnall losing millions of viewers throughout the shows run, RTD is unlikely to bring most of those viewers back because the timeless child arc has destroyed the core foundations of the show. The fact the Doctor is now referring to himself as adopted just shows how much the rot has set in. The decline in viewership is a long term thing and let me be clear not RTD or Ncuti's fault - the rot had already set in and they're starting from a lower bar of interest from the public sadly.

We'll see with the consolidated figures tomorrow where things actually stand. Another forum I use someone has reported pre-transmission figures as 0.12/0.14m - so if those figures are anywhere near in the ballpark where not looking at it adding the 2m or so it needs to reach the same as the last Whittaker episodes . As I said - I've got plenty of classic who and pre-Chibnall New Who who to get on with watching. I'll watch these and any series after them when I do eventually catch up.

Also if you think it's Ncuti being black people have an issue with rather than the complete destruction of the characters identity and the show's basis under Chibnall

^ you implied very clearly here that the reason people weren't watching the show is because of the supposed 'destruction of the character's identity' and the Chibnall era, and not at all because of racism. Not putting words in your mouth, simply responding to what I see in front of me. happy.gif

We're not really going to have a full picture of where things actually stand, even with +7 ratings though. BBC One/iPlayer viewership is going to be a very small measure now on just how successful the show is moving forward.

It seems absolutely wild to me that people who aren't even willing to give the era a chance by watching more than two minutes of an episode (!) and instead just revel in the supposed golden era from back when seem to be the only ones making so much noise about the viewing figures. While it was certainly an important way of deciding the fate of or measuring the popularity of shows back in the day, it's probably the most outdated means now that is going to have little to no impact on Doctor Who's future.

For the sake of being super analytical though, when you take the average viewership for each series from both Capaldi's era and Whittaker's era, there is only a difference of 0.15m viewers between the two, so it's hardly the massive decline that people insist has brought about the cataclysmic extinction of the show.

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post Sunday, 03:02 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(Calum @ 19th May 2024, 03:35 PM) *
^ you implied very clearly here that the reason people weren't watching the show is because of the supposed 'destruction of the character's identity' and the Chibnall era, and not at all because of racism. Not putting words in your mouth, simply responding to what I see in front of me. happy.gif

We're not really going to have a full picture of where things actually stand, even with +7 ratings though. BBC One/iPlayer viewership is going to be a very small measure now on just how successful the show is moving forward.

It seems absolutely wild to me that people who aren't even willing to give the era a chance by watching more than two minutes of an episode (!) and instead just revel in the supposed golden era from back when seem to be the only ones making so much noise about the viewing figures. While it was certainly an important way of deciding the fate of or measuring the popularity of shows back in the day, it's probably the most outdated means now that is going to have little to no impact on Doctor Who's future.

For the sake of being super analytical though, when you take the average viewership for each series from both Capaldi's era and Whittaker's era, there is only a difference of 0.15m viewers between the two, so it's hardly the massive decline that people insist has brought about the cataclysmic extinction of the show.

Because that is in the many the reason people have given up. I wasn't as you seem to think implying it was the only reason. It seems like you're in some pretty unsavoury facebook echo chambers if all you're seeing is racism though. It's 2024 most people don't give a damn about skin colour and those who do probably weren't watching Doctor Who anyway.

How can you give the era a chance when the start of that era casually re-affirms the Chibnall nonsense and doubles down on the Doctor being adopted. It's an insult to the long term viewership of the show - it's like a Star Trek episode telling us Spock isn't actually part Vulvcan - completely silly and ludicrous. I can stand the show being bad - it's been bad on man occasions - I can't stand it being ludicrous or silly though The +7 figures are generally accepted as the important ones these days as 28s are now longer released. How the show does on Disney worldwide is likely to have more bearing on the show - you are correct on that one.

This post has been edited by DoBelieveTheHype: Sunday, 03:02 PM

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 21st May 2024, 01:49 AM