BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Here and Now (The Steps Musical), Birmingham's Alexandra Theatre 9-30 November
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Yobnedor
post 28th January 2024, 08:25 PM
Post #21
Group icon
Perfectly Pop
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 3,033

A lot of the Facebook mums seem keen on going to this.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 28th January 2024, 08:29 PM
Post #22
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

Yes, fingers and toes crossed this gets good reviews and does well for everyone, including Steps themselves.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 28th January 2024, 08:34 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(Yobnedor @ Jan 28 2024, 08:25 PM) *
A lot of the Facebook mums seem keen on going to this.

You calling me a facebook mum!?!? laugh.gif

+Quote this post
The Dong Contest
post 28th January 2024, 08:38 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

I reckon this will do better ans be better than the SG musical tbh!! They have more sangs and more uplifting sangs.

+Quote this post
Crown_The_Witch.
post 29th January 2024, 02:03 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Good point they have loads of song options to include/play with in comparison to spice girls.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 29th January 2024, 06:52 AM
Post #26
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

I looked back and Steps previously teased being interested in doing a musical, back in 2021 and 2022:

We’ve got one thing which we are talking about – can we tell him about it?" teases H. "It's so obvious. We’ve been talking about it for years… the Steps musical. It’s just the perfect pop progression. There are cogs turning."

"We’ve talked about it amongst ourselves very seriously," adds Claire.
Steps are planning to take their songs to the stage in the form of a jukebox musical, with Lisa explaining that they have a "fantastic back catalogue" which would lend itself well to the world of theatre.

Lisa said: "It is something that excites us as a band and we think we have a fantastic catalogue that would really lend itself to a West End musical, and so we are in talks. It would be an amazing thing to do."

However, the musical will not be based on the band members themselves - and Lisa went on to explain that the gang would be "involved with the creatives" and will be writing and producing the show themselves.

"The majority of us love theatre and love that side of things, but I wouldn't suggest we would all be playing ourselves. It would be great to be behind the scenes, involved in the writing, and involved in the creatives. When we tour, that is what we do. People probably think we just turn up on stage and perform the show, but we are producing the show along with our creative director and our management team."
Steps have admitted that a musical celebrating their songs could be in the pipeline and say that storylines have been submitted - but they're yet to find the right one.

In an interview the band told BBC London News reporter Paul Murphy-Kasp, that a musical is "something they really want to do" and it's something they are "seriously thinking about". '5, 6, 7, 8' hitmakers Lee, Claire, Lisa, Faye and 'H' are celebrating 25 years since they first stepped into the charts with a series of open-air gigs and an album of their greatest hits.

Faye said: "Well I think we have always talked about a Steps musical, haven't we? We haven't found the right storyline quite yet." - to which 'H' replied: "It's getting there."

While Lee added: "It's something we want to do."

Faye continued with a cheeky smirk: "And there's lots of things been submitted - so it is something we are seriously thinking about."

Claire replied: "It's always in the background, but it's got to be right."

So the passion for it to happen has been there for a while. I'd like to trust that they've made sure it's something they're happy with and consider to be really good. Seems like all 5 are on board, which is more than can be said for the Spice Girls, it was really only 2 of them who were super passionate about that.

I'd have to agree that Steps having a far more expansive catalogue than Spice Girls should be very beneficial in creating a story around the lyrics that makes sense and works.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 29th January 2024, 09:48 AM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

I got major Viva Forever flash backs reading those quotes. Pretty sure most members of the Spice Girls said the same things about their music and a musical leading up to it opening in 2012.

Also I think it is pretty obvious that these jukebox musical the actual artist have little to no imput. I doubt Steps were creating the story or picking the songs, themes and so on.

It could end up brilliant or a disaster but honestly that wont depend on Steps themselves at all.

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post 29th January 2024, 05:27 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Perfectly Pop
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 3,033

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Jan 29 2024, 06:52 AM) *
I looked back and Steps previously teased being interested in doing a musical, back in 2021 and 2022:
So the passion for it to happen has been there for a while. I'd like to trust that they've made sure it's something they're happy with and consider to be really good. Seems like all 5 are on board, which is more than can be said for the Spice Girls, it was really only 2 of them who were super passionate about that.

I'd have to agree that Steps having a far more expansive catalogue than Spice Girls should be very beneficial in creating a story around the lyrics that makes sense and works.

They’re going to have learnt from Viva Forever for sure - they won’t want the same thing happening.

+Quote this post
Lee_his_cheeks
post 29th January 2024, 08:46 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Bum-bum-be-dum-bum-bum-be-dum-bum
User: 3,796

QUOTE(Yobnedor @ Jan 29 2024, 06:27 PM) *
They’re going to have learnt from Viva Forever for sure - they won’t want the same thing happening.

I really hope so!

I’m intrigued to see how this goes. Is it possible that it’s run will be expanded when it turns out to be a success?

+Quote this post
Crown_The_Witch.
post 29th January 2024, 09:08 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Im sure if its a success there is the potential to expand the run but if that did happen im assuming there would be a gap before the added dates would go ahead.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 30th January 2024, 03:19 AM
Post #31
Group icon
---

I’d love for it to be a success and get an extension.

How long did the Spice Girls one last?

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 30th January 2024, 05:43 AM
Post #32
Group icon

QUOTE(One_For_Sorrow @ Jan 30 2024, 03:19 AM) *
I’d love for it to be a success and get an extension.

How long did the Spice Girls one last?

11 December 2012 – 29 June 2013 (there were some preview shows prior to 11th December). I'm not sure how many shows it did in total, but for a West End show it was considered to be a short run.

All we know so far about the Steps muscial is that it's first taking place on 9th November to 24 November in Birmingham, with "more dates to be announced" and "prior to a West End run". Maybe they're being cautious with it and waiting to see how well it sells / how well it's received?

Edit: Some interesting insight from somebody on Popjustice:

QUOTE("bestinase")
I have friends who work in the West End and the current landscape here is a lot braver than it was right after covid. Audiences are clicking with different things, often in unpredictable ways, and so theatres are willing to take a punt on shorter runs for more surprising shows.

The fact it's doing a run specifically in Birmingham means this will have been booked for a West End stint – showing something in a 'B list' city first and doing tweaks/audience response is a pretty common technique before it moves to London, maybe over December to snatch peak tourist season. This won't have been just blindly booked, someone will have read a script or seen workshops and decided it's at least worth a go.

The fact the director did Bake Off: The Musical, which was an enjoyable bit of self-aware nonsense that did well with audiences over a fixed 12 week run, is a good indication of what they're probably aiming at.

This Guardian article gives a sense of where theatre producers heads are at right now: Move over Abba: new ‘riskier’ wave of British musicals to challenge West End’s established order

https://forum.popjustice.com/threads/steps....75#post-9189153

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 30th January 2024, 08:28 AM
Post #33
Group icon
---

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Jan 30 2024, 05:43 AM) *
11 December 2012 – 29 June 2013 (there were some preview shows prior to 11th December). I'm not sure how many shows it did in total, but for a West End show it was considered to be a short run.

All we know so far about the Steps muscial is that it's first taking place on 9th November to 24 November in Birmingham, with "more dates to be announced" and "prior to a West End run". Maybe they're being cautious with it and waiting to see how well it sells / how well it's received?
Edit: Some interesting insight from somebody on Popjustice:

Thanks Jay. I’m getting a little optimistic about getting the opportunity to see this in January 2025. All I need is work to approve my leave.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 30th January 2024, 11:44 AM
Post #34
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

I think done well, this could actually be more of a hit than people are giving it a chance at present, based solely on the previous form of Viva Forever and Never Forget. If any pop band of the 90s epitomised high camp, drama and fabulousness - all things that cross over into musical theatre - then Steps are it.

As it happens, Shaun, who's written the book, is someone I know well cause he used to be my editor when I wrote for a short loved pop magazine he ran about 10 years ago. He also wrote the unofficial musical, 5678 that was on at the Edinburgh Festival a few years ago!

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: 30th January 2024, 11:48 AM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 30th January 2024, 06:38 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

I certainly hope so would be nice for Steps to have another success in another area. They are very much the underdog in terms of being remembered as icons of the 90s and written off as apposed to other acts like Spice Girls and Take That, when in fact they have achieved incredible feats of their own too like being the only mixed British band to have #1 albums in four decades.

+Quote this post
Crown_The_Witch.
post 2nd February 2024, 07:20 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Thats true ,they dont have the same legacy such as some of the acts you have mentioned but have still been hugely successful and while not on the level of others of their time they are still fairly well known which is great so hopefully this can help elevate that a little further.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 3rd February 2024, 10:50 AM
Post #37
Group icon

+Quote this post
Crown_The_Witch.
post 3rd February 2024, 11:01 AM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Many fans will be rushing to book as its a great opportunity to meet them and a nice way to start building up exposure for the show.
Hopefully the press support it aswell.

+Quote this post
Lee_his_cheeks
post 3rd February 2024, 01:09 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Bum-bum-be-dum-bum-bum-be-dum-bum
User: 3,796

Hopefully that will have a positive effect! I’m glad they are invested in the musical. I’m more hopeful it will have some success.

+Quote this post
Crown_The_Witch.
post 3rd February 2024, 04:30 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

It definitely helps that they are invested and if they keep promoting it, it might do OK for them.
When steps were teasing last year in their posts I wonder was this musical what they were referring to, I hope its this and more as I'm more than ready to add another steps album to my collection.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 12th May 2024, 04:33 AM