BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
17 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Persephonia / National Thread, BJSC 120: Vegyn - Debold
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post 17th December 2016, 10:02 PM
Post #61
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

I applaud the amount of effort you're going to heart.gif and now 9/10 of my songs in the mix *.*
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brer
post 17th December 2016, 10:04 PM
Post #62
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

QUOTE(CodySleighBell-y @ Dec 17 2016, 10:01 PM) *
The mystery continues

Will you be also doing a "worst of the year" countdown? If memory serves me right, the countries that have entered at least 9 times this year and don't have a song in your best end up having a song in your worst tongue.gif

I'm not doing a worst of the year countdown this time as I kind of felt bad about it in the end last year lmao. (Jana Kramer was the worst tho. #sorrynotsorry)

+Quote this post
Brer
post 18th December 2016, 12:57 AM
Post #63
Group icon

Actually lemme get this started tonight with 150-126.

2016 EOY 150-126:

150 St. Burbia 81 // Bishop Briggs - Wild Horses {1 point}
149 Beaverdonia 81 // Alfons - Ganjaman {8 points}
148 Jukianië 87 // GNUČČI - Work! {10 points}
147 Espen 81 // Dahlia Sleeps - Hessian {didn't save my rankings for this semi-final oops ~}
146 Tartford 86 // Marsheaux - Safe Tonight {6 points}
145 Terra Avium 81 // U.S. Girls - Woman's Work {didn't save my rankings for this semi-final oops ~}
144 Cumulonimbia 82 // Sasha - Xpander {ranked 16th}
143 Terra Avium 82 // tiasu - Plummet {1 point}
142 Tinnmark 83 // Rockettothesky - Grizzly Man {4 points in semi-final}
141 Pupok 88 // Claudia Kane - Einstein {3 points}
140 Desbuanda 89 // Lilyer - I Was On Your Side {4 points}
139 Fljótavík 83 // Olga Bell - Randomness {7 points}
138 Mulgracia 88 // Monarchy - Dance Like Hell {5 points}
137 Avalonia 82 // Thomas Bergersen - Children Of The Sun (feat. Merethe Soltvedt) {3 points}
136 FKA FKA FKA π 89 // Francis And The Lights - I Want You To Shake {ranked 8th in opposite semi-final}
135 Ethanola 87 // Green Velvet - Bigger Than Prince (Hot Since 82 Remix) {2 points in semi-final}
134 Tartford 83 // Jody Wisternoff - The Bridge (Chicane Rework) (feat. Sian Evans) {ranked 14th in opposite semi-final}
133 Kingdom of Horanius 88 // The Opposites - Licht Uit {4 points in semi-final}
132 Suedeonia 83 // Weather Report - Birdland {7 points in semi-final}
131 Deandria 88 // Maya's Moving Castle - When You Wish Upon The Stars {ranked 5th in opposite semi-final}
130 Pagasa 90 // Marineros - Torbellino {ranked 8th in opposite semi-final}
129 Deandria 90 // Vogel - Hologram {5 points in semi-final}
128 Singerpurear 88 // Kadie Elder - First Time He Kissed A Boy {4 points}
127 St. Burbia 82 // Jorja Smith - Blue Lights {ranked 18th}
126 Trifoski 86 // Pillow Person - Go Ahead {9 points}

So who have we seen the last of here...

JUKIANIË
GNUČČI - Work! [#148] > LL - Lie > Dirtcaps - Bad Habit (feat. Tjindjara) > Teyana Taylor - Undercover
I guess Jukianië eventually got tired of the constant flopping and don't enter too much any more. Aww. The clear highlight from them this year was 'Work!', one of a trio of bonkers and brilliant in-your-face bangers in its contest alongside Die Antwoord and Little Big although it didn't catch on near as much as them for whatever reason. Poor hens. At least it qualified though... of their trio of DNQs, 'Lie' was a very ~nice~ song albeit doomed, 'Bad Habit' was ok but was basically an inferior clone of 'Fools Paradise' and 'Undercover' I didn't really get at all despite the urbanswag.

MULGRACIA
Monarchy - Dance Like Hell [#138] > Chairlift - Moth To The Flame > Cobi - Don't You Cry For Me > Ariana And The Rose - Survival Of The Fittest > Off Bloom - Love To Hate It > Angels & Airwaves - Chasing Shadows > Kaskade and CID - Us > Project 46 - Beautiful (It Hurts) > Phoebe Ryan - Chronic
Mulgracia have really come a long way since they stopped sending dreadful generic dance every month, I generally quite enjoy their new brand of serviceable alt-pop, hoping for some more next year that maybe goes a bit further and actually gets my votes. 'Moth To The Flame', 'Survival Of The Fittest' and 'Love To Hate It' are all cut of that cloth and are about the same level of quite good, as is 'Don't You Cry For Me' which is a pretty decent Hozier pastiche. 'Dance Like Hell' stands head and shoulders above the rest as the only one I voted for, very infectious Inbetweeners-soundtrack-y tune there. 'Chasing Shadows' just sounded like one of blink-182's less essential songs, not that memorable but not bad. The less said about those last 3 songs the better really... 'Us' was ALRIGHT for what it was I guess, 'Beautiful (It Hurts)' was your standard crappy Mulgracia dance entry of old and 'Chronic' was pretty painful (Phoebe Ryan needs to stop the whole singing thing). But on the whole, an improvement this year James.

AVALONIA
Thomas Bergersen - Children Of The Sun (feat. Merethe Soltvedt) [#137] > Janina Gavankar - Waiting For Godot > Symphobia - I Do > of Verona - Better With You > Joy Williams - Before I Sleep > Deborah Iurato - Sono Ancora Io > Nicole Skye - Terminate > Philippa Hanna - Arrow > Carina Dahl - Burning (BRND Remix) > Silver Cities - Lights
I guess we've seen the last of Avalonia now... at least this was longer than their original 2 contest run and they did churn out a few pretty good tracks this year. The big highlight is obviously the epic 'Children Of The Sun' (and also their other Thomas Bergersen entry in the Instrumentals spinoff which was even better - Bergersen/Two Steps From Hell is best appreciated with no vocals to distract, as nice as Merethe's voice is), rightfully their biggest hit, and their other top 10 with 'I Do' is also among their best, a pretty neat classical sample there. 'Waiting For Godot' from the start of the year was a shame of a DNQ, wasn't too far off being a second top 150 entry for them here, a surprisingly interesting song, nice semi-obscure literary reference. 'Better With You' and 'Before I Sleep' are both pretty cool moody alty poppy songs, of Verona have better songs ('Castles' and 'Dark In My Imagination') but this one was another pretty good one from them. 'Sono Ancora Io' was a grower and I like the foreign language but it was a bit of a damp song to end their BJSC run with. 'Terminate' was ok as a 'Dark Horse' ripoff, 'Arrow' is surprisingly decent for something bordering on standard country pop, 'Burning' and 'Lights' were both listenable but not anything standout (Silver Cities pretty much screamed Taahino reject) so not shocking DNQs. Avalonia are (were) probably better than the 3 points I've given them ever makes them out to be.

KINGDOM OF HORANIUS
The Opposites - Licht Uit [#133]
Just the one main contest entry from them as they remain very sporadic in the forum, a new Alteria I guess. Hoping for more from them as Dutch rap was not what I expected from Maurice in BJSC but I LIKED IT. Good production and catchy hook. Thumbs up.

PAGASA
Marineros - Torbellino [#130] > KING - The Greatest > The Range - Florida
Another one that I hope will be less sporadic in 2017 (come back in 92 and don't get banned again please!!), Pagasa really have the potential to be an incredible nation. Three very solid entries from them here, my bias towards ~Iberian~ vocals means 'Torbellino' is my favourite by far, kind of reminded me of a song I was going to send once (I'll send a Spanish entry one day), really gorgeous. 'The Greatest' and 'Florida' are also both really good although missing just something to make them properly stand out as GREAT entries, 'Florida' in particular had a slight unfinished demo sound to it. If Pagasa come back and keep going down this road though I foresee many great entries from them in the future. x

I am writing too much. x

~~~

In other news Persephonia's TBO run is over for the year as Bachar Mar-Khalifé's 'Mirror Moon' unsurprisingly failed to get a spot in the Rejects final, while The Shanghai Restoration Project's 'The Wandering Songstress' (feat. Zhang Le) did way better than we expected in TBO semi-final 1, coming 18th with 102 points (only 3 short of a qualification slot). Whose idea was it for only 15 songs to qualify from a 40 song semi-final :'( Thanks for anyone who voted for any of our tracks anyway, we hope to return to a final of one of them next year. x

+Quote this post
Riser
post 18th December 2016, 02:47 AM
Post #64
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

QUOTE(Michael Bubré @ Dec 2 2016, 12:20 AM) *
OH MY GOD

OMG this remix

+Quote this post
Jade
post 18th December 2016, 03:39 PM
Post #65
Group icon

Ooh a brilliant start to proceedings. But I would expect nothing less with how similar our taste is!

My ultimate highlights from this section are: 'Woman's Work', 'Xpander', 'Einstein', 'Randomness', 'Dance Like Hell', 'Children Of The Sun', 'The Bridge', 'Hologram' and 'Go Ahead' heart.gif So I'm glad that you expanded to a top 150 as there were a hell of a lot more good songs that could be packed in!

Really pleased in particular that 'The Bridge' has crept up on you heart.gif I underestimated it at the time as well but it really shines now.

'Torbellino' would actually be last in my Pagasa rank as opposed to your first, but it's a testament to the high quality of their entries so far as I still voted for it and enjoy it very much!

Loving the paragraphs! there is no such thing as too much writing *.*

+Quote this post
Brer
post 25th December 2016, 04:57 PM
Post #66
Group icon

Moving on with another EOY post because what else is there to do on Xmas Day cool.gif

2016 EOY 125-101:

125 Espen 83 // L.E.J - La Dalle {ranked 16th}
124 Hushkanukia 85 // Kristina Si - Kosmos {3 points}
123 Vülkyria 84 // The Flavor - Shosholoza {7 points}
122 What 81 // KONTRUST - Sock 'N' Doll {6 points}
121 Quintessa 82 // Gina Kushka - Bring It Down {ranked 23rd}
120 Jadakissnia 85 // OVERWERK - Toccata {8 points}
119 Séyetana 84 // Eluveitie - The Call Of The Mountains {8 points}
118 Trifoski 88 // La Femme - Sphynx {6 points}
117 Thelonia 90 // LeBrock - One Night {8 points in semi-final}
116 Cumulonimbia 81 // NZCA LINES - Two Hearts {10 points}
115 N DNTN 87 // Kitty - 285 {7 points}
114 FKA FKA FKA π 83 // Dinamo Azari - Cyan (feat. S.Y.F and Fritz Helder) {10 points}
113 Beaverdonia 85 // Bang La Decks - Aide {7 points}
112 Cor Lupus 83 // Rain Man - Bring Back The Summer (feat. Oly) {6 points}
111 Břtanikkä 85 // LP - Lost On You (Live) {6 points}
110 N DNTN 89 // Nadia Tehran - Cash Flow {9 points}
109 Kluminican Republic 83 // Pogo - Mellow Brick Road {9 points}
108 Aeroche 82 // Holy Esque - Tear {4 points}
107 Deandria 86 // Blackbriar - Until Eternity {7 points}
106 Aeroche 87 // Little Big - Hateful Love {9 points}
105 Cadelicia 87 // Die Antwoord - Banana Brain {8 points}
104 St. Burbia 87 // Zack Knight and Jasmin Walia - Dum Dee Dum {12 points}
103 Fljótavík 88 // Agnes Obel - Familiar {2 points}
102 Aelandor 89 // Sœur - Pass Out {2 points}
101 Bignia-Zaragovina 82 // White Night Ghosts - Hope {5 points}

The following countries have their highest ranked entries in this section:

HUSHKANUKIA
Kristina Si - Kosmos [#124] > K.Flay - Can't Sleep > FRANKIE - Gold > Emji - Lost > Hanne Mjřen - Perfect Noise > Cardiknox - Wild Child > COSBY - YEAH! > Starling Glow - Caution Tape > April Ivy - Be Ok > Jillea - Shattered
Nothing particularly bad from Hushky this year. The top 2 both sneaked into my votes, 'Kosmos' is a clear highlight, a lovely foreign language ballad with a hard-hitting chorus, should have done much better in its contest. 'Can't Sleep' is also a pretty fab poppy rappy song although just misses out on the top 150. I have a soft spot for FRANKIE for whatever reason despite her making the sort of pop I usually don't like, 'Gold' wasn't as good as 'New Obsession' but was still a thoroughly enjoyable little song, and 'Lost' is a bit similar to 'Kosmos' in having a great chorus (and that middle 8 *.*) although it's a bit let down by its verses. The quality trails off a bit from there as the other 6 songs are all pretty much in the same basket of fairly decent but ultimately inessential and throwaway pop songs. But yes, at least there was no Ashley Allen moment.

VÜLKYRIA
The Flavor - Shosholoza [#123] > Lushington - You Got Me Baby > Cruels - Give It Up (feat. Salt Ashes) > LU2VYK - 90's > Debris - Game Over
Where oh where is Vülker I wonder. Actually I stalked his Facebook the other day and found he's still alive so maybe he'll be back again around Eurovision time - we miss you, come back to us!!1 Vülkyria are certainly capable of some good entries, their two big hits of the year were both well deserved - 'Shosholoza' was a lovely Dario G / Lion King vibes track and an inspired choice by them, I do tend to love African-flavoured dance tracks as we'll see with a few more of them still to come in the countdown, and 'You Got Me Baby' was a bit of a bop even if not a patch on the much more interesting 'Settle Down' for me. The rest of their entries this year... not as good. 'Give It Up' is pretty much a nothing of a song, but that beats out the other two which are examples of Vülkyria's tendency to occasionally send in some obnoxious rackets.

WHAT
KONTRUST - Sock 'N' Doll [#122]
It's kind of amazing in retrospect that we were even able to convince What to provide us with a second entry, I assume we're not going to be seeing them around these parts again. I loved 'Sock 'N' Doll' a lot more than 'Justice For Saint Mary', a wonderfully bonkers bit of metal with a great video and it was a joy to see it doing so well (and actually not getting the deduction in the final!!), of course I knew it already via plug.dj but it was too good to be confined to there. I hope to hear some more ~crazy~ musical discoveries of Blake's in the future even if not in BJSC.

THELONIA
LeBrock - One Night [#117] > Dub Fx - So Are You > Fether - Tides > KLP - Recover (feat. Remi) > Wild Belle - Throw Down Your Guns > Jauz and Netsky - Higher > Flux Pavilion - Never See The Light (feat. Andrea Martin)
Poor Thelonia didn't have much luck with only two qualifiers this year. My favourite from them was 'One Night', a glorious bit of retro synth that really deserved so much more than it got in the last contest, the best entry from them since their debut with Marian Hill (originally thought it might have overtaken that in my affections but I don't think it quite has), I guess the vocals may have been a bit divisive but I think they worked well on the track. 'So Are You' was a fun and different qualifier, a bit Showtek-y and a bit surprised it never turned up on the Radio 1 playlist as I've always thought it sounded like something they'd spam but would ultimately do nothing in the charts. 'Tides' was lovely, not the most memorable song ever but just had a relisten to it and it was nice to hear again, also relistened to 'Recover' as I didn't really remember it at all and it's far better than I remember it being, slightly dodgy rap section aside, it's a shame the whole token drum n bass hit phase seems to be over. 'Throw Down Your Guns' is ok but I don't like it as much as my Wild Belle entry and even that is one of my least favourites of my own entries now, the chorus falls a bit flat for me. 'Higher' is pretty much another one of those obnoxious rackets that I complain about Vülkyria sending (maybe a little bit better than those) although it's still a bit surprising that it didn't qualify, and 'Never See The Light' was deeply disappointing as I usually really like Flux Pavilion but there was nothing to this one.

KLUMINICAN REPUBLIC
Pogo - Mellow Brick Road [#109] > ODESZA - It's Only (feat. Zyra) > Jetta - I'd Love To Change The World (Matstubs Remix) > DENM - Green > Mřme - Aloha (feat. Merryn Jeann) > BLEITCH - Speaking Of Moments > Billie Eilish - ocean eyes (Young Bombs Remix) > Mason Jennings - How Deep Is That River > wens - Bones
Too many of Klum Rep's best entries this year DNQed! The pretty gorgeous 'It's Only' (better than the other more successful ODESZA/Zyra song IMO) and 'I'd Love To Change The World' were both surprising and disappointing DNQs that weren't far off this top 150, at least the latter has some redemption in making the Rejects final. 'Green' DNQing was less of a shock but I still really like it, very underrated entry, fab production. Their one DNQ that was a little bit questionable was 'How Deep Is That River', a curious choice if it actually wasn't an intentional attempt to flop as hard as possible, it's vaguely pleasant I suppose and might make a nice bit of album filler~ Their best of the year thankfully did make it in though, 'Mellow Brick Road' was a big standout and bringing back memories of the iconic Lemon Jelly with that retro vocal sample and hold music vibes (in a good way). 'Aloha' is quite good too with its chilled out tropical sound, deserved better than bottom 2. I don't care much for their other qualifiers, 'Speaking Of Moments' seems like a bit of a random one to be their biggest hit of the year as it's pretty standard forgettable blog pop (though not near to the extent that 'Bones' is, and I thought Klumzee didn't like vague songs!!), and 'ocean eyes' is nice and ok and grew on me a bit but I'm yet to be that impressed by Young Bombs' various remixes.

ST. BURBIA
Zack Knight and Jasmin Walia - Dum Dee Dum [#104] > Jorja Smith - Blue Lights [#127] > Bishop Briggs - Wild Horses [#150] > Sarah Mark - Tun Up > The Free - Freedom Island > Bearson - Want You (feat. Cal) > iSHi - There For Me (feat. Shenie Fogo) > Alisha Pillay - Mayday > MAALA - Kind Of Love > Basenji - Can't Get Enough
The first country to drop out with more than one entry in my EOY, St. Burbia actually sneak three songs in the top 150 but none of them quite make my top 100 (so they're lucky I extended it!!1) The iconic piece of trash that is 'Dum Dee Dum' is on top, it is the lowest ranked song to have got as high as 12 points from me as the appeal of it is just a little bit novelty but it is a genuine bop, I can't not love anything Punjabi-flavoured. A couple of more serious entries from the start of the year also make the cut, the Dizzee Rascal sampling chilled urban offering 'Blue Lights' which has grown on me even more after its little bit of TBO success even though it missed out on my points in the strongest contest of the year, and 'Wild Horses' which scrapes into the top 150 as one of the better blogpop offerings of the year, a bit of chart success for both Jorja Smith and Bishop Briggs wouldn't go amiss as both are promising new artists~ Completing my top 5 Burbia songs of 2016 are two island vibes tracks which I disliked on first listen but both of which grew on me substantially, 'Tun Up' is undeniably catchy and would have made a decent Cover Drive single or something, and 'Freedom Island' does have some kind of charm to it despite being pretty basic tropical house, maybe I just like it more since discovering The Free is from Sudan, gotta love exotic nationalities in BJSC *.* 'Want You' was also a bit of a grower, initially blending in with about 500 other similar bland dancey songs in its contest but it started to stand out more with extra listens, it's pretty decent really. 'There For Me' and 'Mayday' are both alright and I thought they'd do much better than they did. 'Kind Of Love' is pretty eh. I really really really don't like 'Can't Get Enough', like it actually offends my ears a little bit, it's just too sickly and egh idk. Can very much get enough. x

BIGNIA-ZARAGOVINA
White Night Ghosts - Hope [#101] > Ryan Beatty - Passion > Hayden Calnin - For My Help > Jeremy Messersmith - Ghost > Jessarae - No Warning > StrangeFaces - Swimming > Marcus & Martinus - Elektrisk (feat. Katastrofe) > Greyson Chance - Back On The Wall > Sing Street - Drive It Like You Stole It > Chord Overstreet - Homeland
Poor Bignia-Zaragovina have had a terrible run this year which really wasn't deserved, why do we treat our mods other than Ryan this way? x Their biggest hit of the year is also their best, 'Hope' only JUST misses out on a spot in my top 100, to be honest I'm not sure I buy that Jáhq even likes this song because it's so far removed from everything else he's ever sent and actually sounds like one of the more experimental entries by someone like Fljótavík, but it was a wonderful discovery anyway, another example of why BJSC 82 was so great heart.gif 'Passion' was a good Troye Sivan-ish track which I thought would have qualified. The next few songs are all of their doomed indie entries which unsurprisingly floundered near the bottom of their semi-finals but they were all pretty good, I guess there just isn't really a market for that kind of sound in BJSC. 'Elektrisk' I actually thought was alright, it's a bit naff but it's good fun. 'Back On The Wall' just sounded like one of Joseph's less good entries (Joseph triggered), a bit neither here nor there ~ the last two songs are the only ones that truly deserved to flop, 'Drive It Like You Stole It' was pure cheese that did not need to be freed from the context of the film, and 'Homeland' is just the absolute opposite of my thing.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 25th December 2016, 05:11 PM
Post #67
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

The effort you're going to *.* I should have checked all of this before now, very pleased to see Eluveitie in here as well, and a great entry for the best of your own in The Wandering Songstress, a true beauty of a song. And plenty of amazing entries from everyone else too.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 25th December 2016, 10:40 PM
Post #68
Group icon

Ooh lookie there's the first of my appearances *.* Glad that you extended your top 100 now so that 'Toccata' could get a look in as I just love it so much <3 It was fun going down the spooky route a few times this year.

Other major highlights here are 'Sock 'N' Doll', 'Sphynx', 'Two Hearts', 'Cyan', 'Banana Brain' and 'Hope' heart.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 7th January 2017, 11:34 PM
Post #69
Group icon

think that's enough tension for the next section

2016 EOY 100-76:

100 South Danaelanda 90 // Basto - Gregory's Theme {5 points}
99 Jadakissnia 89 // FEYNMAN - 1-800MYLOVE {5 points}
98 N DNTN 88 // RAYE - Shhh {7 points}
97 Desbuanda 88 // A R I Z O N A - Cross My Mind {3 points in semi-final}
96 Cor Lupus 82 // Pixel Fix - You Settle Me {ranked 8th in opposite semi-final}
95 Syndare 86 // Calypso - Numbered {2 points in semi-final}
94 Fljótavík 81 // Arthur Beatrice - Who Returned {12 points in semi-final}
93 Ultraviolenceland 88 // Liv Dawson - Still {8 points}
92 Dobago 88 // T2Kazuya - Youth {9 points}
91 Espen 89 // Mashrou' Leila - Kalam (H4Z3 Private Mix) {4 points in semi-final}
90 Aelandor 85 // Said The Sky - Nostalgia (feat. Missio) {2 points in semi-final}
89 Suedeonia 89 // Superwalkers - Lost (As I Am) {10 points}
88 Varakë 86 // De̊ǰa - Luststruck {4 points in semi-final}
87 Kylienips 82 // Sevdaliza - That Other Girl {6 points}
86 Beaverdonia 89 // The Eden Project - Chasing Ghosts {8 points in semi-final}
85 Land of DW 81 // Lucian and REMMI - Bobby K {11 points}
84 Břtanikkä 83 // Kungs vs. Cookin' On 3 Burners - This Girl {ranked 23rd}
83 Tartford 82 // Metronomy - The Look {9 points}
82 Republic of Adonia 89 // Lorn - Acid Rain {7 points}
81 Pupok 84 // Rich White Ladies - Wimbledon {9 points}
80 Tartford 90 // Luce Drayton - To Be Loved (Disco Citizens Remix) {6 points in semi-final}
79 N DNTN 82 // The Swiss - Kiss To Kiss (Amtrac Remix) {8 points}
78 Trifoski 81 // Great Good Fine Ok - Take It Or Leave It {5 points}
77 Jadakissnia 86 // Tuna - Seret Aravi {ranked 6th in opposite semi-final}
76 Břtanikkä 90 // Ratty - Sunrise (Here I Am) {7 points}

Making their highest appearances here we have:

SOUTH DANAELANDA
Basto - Gregory's Theme [#100] > Tobtok - Aber > Maceo Plex - Mirror Me (feat. C.A.R) > Mr FijiWiji, Direct and Aruna - Time To Say Goodbye > Paperwhite - Get Away > Croatia Squad and Lika Morgan - Make Your Move > TheFatRat - Monody (feat. Laura Brehm) > Mickey - It's My Man > Avicii - Dear Boy > Steve James - In My Head (feat. RKCB)
(South) Dan continued to generally provide higher quality entries in the spinoffs than the main contests, although there were still a good few tunes to be found among their main entries. 'Gregory's Theme' is the easy highlight of them, a brilliant euphoric instrumental that would slot in nicely with Swedish House Mafia's singles, was great to see someone eventually sending it to BJSC and it doing so well. Their other instrumental 'Aber' comes second for me, another very infectious rhythm music.gif sadly a DNQ although it picked up a point from me in the Rejects just now. Their other DNQ of the year 'Time To Say Goodbye' is also among my faves from them of 2016 (also getting a bit of Rejects justice thankfully), a really nice chill dance track, not quite as good as 'Yours Truly' though. Between the two DNQs here is the deliciously retro and #longsongbloc offering 'Mirror Me'. Beyond the top four there are a few more decent tracks: Dan's dabbling into non-dance with 'Get Away', a solidly decent blogpop track although not one that stood out much in the bonkers BJSC 82, 'Make Your Move' which was a pretty good if inessential new version of that one Junior Jack song, 'Monody' which was their biggest hit but has never fully clicked with me, it's good but just sounds like a slightly inferior version of 'Windfall' with some pointless vocals (shoot me), and 'It's My Man' was pretty ok too. I've just listened to the full version of 'Dear Boy' for the first time in the hopes it might make it sound better but it's still not doing much for me, Avicii is very hit or miss for me and this was very much a miss despite MŘ's involvement. And finally 'In My Head' was pretty much entirely forgettable. But overall a good year for them, I hope I'll be able to get behind more of their entries in a bigger way in 2017.

ULTRAVIOLENCELAND
Liv Dawson - Still [#93] > SKIES - Drone > Ana Mena - No Soy Como Tú Crees > Casi - Lion > Paulina Rubio - Mi Nuevo Vicio (feat. Morat) > NIMMO - Dilute This > FLETCHER - Over My Head > ARIA - Maze > Lauren Aquilina - How Would You Like It? > Lucy Hale - Lie A Little Better
It was lovely that Ultraviolenceland finally did the seemingly impossible and bagged themselves a top 10 at the end of the year as it would be pretty crummy to be stuck with a 2x #11 peak. Their three biggest hits, though, are all in the less good half of their 2016 entries for me - 'Dilute This' is a pretty good and catchy Years & Years clone (better than some of Y&Y's actual singles xx) and comes in 6th for me, 'Maze' is ok but just another unspectacular blogpop song and comes in 8th, and 'Lie A Little Better'... yeah I was never gonna be a fan obviously, easily their worst of the year. Also down there in 9th is 'How Would You Like It?', I actually thought her previous BJSC entries were very good for what they were but this one was a bit more just 'pleasant', and 'Over My Head' is 7th, an improvement on 'War Paint' and a pretty nice little song but still inessential. The top 5 here are all pretty good though. My soft spot for Spanish language songs kicked in for 'Mi Nuevo Vicio' and even moreso for 'No Soy Como Tú Crees' by the iconic Spanish Meghan Trainor, that one just missed out on points from me in its contest. In between those two is 'Lion', a solid pop song with a fab chorus, although a slightly creepy video. The top two are the major highlights though (and not coincidentally they're the two that sound the least like songs I'd expect Sam to like, no offence kink.gif), 'Drone' is a wonderful soaring indie pop moment which also just missed out on my points, but of course my fave from UVland this year - and ever - has to be 'Still', the only one I pointed, gotta love the silky smooth Shanks & Bigfoot / Jamala esque production and the cute lyrics. heart.gif As if it got 0 points in TBO, you wot?

AELANDOR
Said The Sky - Nostalgia (feat. Missio) [#90] > Sœur - Pass Out [#102] > Bear's Den - Above The Clouds Of Pompeii > Five Iron Frenzy - Into Your Veins > Imperial Leisure - Man On The Street > Fireflight - Unbreakable > Relient K - Cat
I thought 'Pass Out' had become my favourite of Aelandor's entries to date as well as their most successful, and it does take a slot just outside the top 100, but after revisiting it again a couple of times recently I've reverted back to my favourite being their second entry 'Nostalgia', I can't help but fall for these huge building melodic dubstep entries in BJSC, but I seem to be alone in that because they ALWAYS bloody DNQ, see also Crywolf twice, 'Spirals', and another song I'll mention a little further down this post... just how could people not be taken by the glorious last minute of 'Nostalgia'? cry.gif Even if it's a liiittle slow before that. Anyway, 'Pass Out' of course did qualify (at last! let's let Aelandor qualify more than once in 2017 maybe ~) as it galvanised the support of the rockbloc and got a couple of points from us too, lovely to hear some grunge in the contest, although for some reason I always get the song muddled up with Zhala's 'Holy Bubbles' in my head despite them sounding almost nothing alike (both good songs though). As for their other DNQs: 'Above The Cloud Of Pompeii' is a nice Mumfordy singalong track, I think Radio 1 kinda stanned it? sounds like something they would if not. 'Into Your Veins' was a good Offspring pastiche~, an intriguing if doomed debut entry. Then the next two songs I actually didn't rate much in their contests but after listening back they're a lot better than I remembered, especially 'Man On The Street' with its hint of Madness. 'Unbreakable' is nothing super special but it's hard to go too far wrong with that sound, it's about the same level of decent as... most Taahino entries. Which leaves me unexpectedly ranking 'Cat' as my least favourite Aelandor entry so far, it's a kinda fun song and CATS but it hasn't held up that well in my affections, was a bit of an odd choice to be their one Rejects qualifier. Solid first year anyway, if not yet surpassing Séyetana for me. x

VARAKË
De̊ǰa - Luststruck [#88]
FFS Varakë racists! All you had to do was just let them qualify ONE time and they might have stuck with us again. sad.gif I pray we've not yet seen the very last of them in the contest because I have really liked almost all of their entries, and their sole offering for 2016 was no exception, returning to De̊ǰa who were also the first act they ever sent to the contest. 'Luststruck' is another wonderful song from them with a haunting and ethereal~ vibe to it, maybe not as good as 'Heart' but I think I actually prefer it to 'Still Falling'. Was a nice surprise Rejects qualifier anyway.

KYLIENIPS
Sevdaliza - That Other Girl [#87] > Juventa - Superhuman (Culture Code Remix) (feat. Kelly Sweet) > Cruel Youth - Hatefuck > Antony & Cleopatra - Love Is A Lonely Dancer > Veorra - Silk > Skott - Porcelain > Icon For Hire - Supposed To Be > Elohim - Xanax > Danrell - White Noise (feat. Ryder) > Adam Jensen - Drugs
Kylienips had lots of entries last year that seemed to have potential to be really good but just weren't entirely there - 'Silk', 'Porcelain' and 'Xanax' in particular all have some really good parts (especially the instrumental parts of 'Silk' and the chorus of 'Porcelain') but as a full package they didn't totally come together, and 'Supposed To Be' was probably one of the least good of the female voxed rock entries of the year, nothing wrong with it but it just lacked any real grabbing points, certainly much less interesting than 'Now You Know'. They did get it all right on one occasion though with 'That Other Girl' which combines some wonderfully sultry vox with an eargasm of a breakdown *.* and it had some cool visuals to boot. 'Superhuman' was also another pretty great dubstep entry (okay perhaps they don't always DNQ, but the best of them always seem to), 'Hatefuck' was a surprisingly classy offering reminding me a bit of Lana Del Rey (and managing to overcome my visceral hatred of Natalia Kills) and 'Love Is A Lonely Dancer' was a good retro dance jam. On the less good end of the spectrum, 'White Noise' is a bit of a racket, and 'Drugs' takes the biscuit as being one of fairly few songs to be quite literally LAUGHABLY bad, I genuinely laughed out loud at how weak the drop was the first time I heard it, it sounded like a parody. Maybe it shouldn't be ranked last here for its novelty value alone. But yeah, not a good song. x

BEAVERDONIA
The Eden Project - Chasing Ghosts [#86] > Bang La Decks - Aide [#113] > Alfons - Ganjaman [#149] > Shreya Ghoshal and Osman Mir - Nagada Sang Dhol [#151] > Mazoo And The Zoo - I Tígri > Gia Woods - Only A Girl > Daughter - Medicine > Embody - Dreamin' (feat. Camden Cox) > geO Louis - Him
Beaver(skank)donia got really good last year, why oh why is beaverism still a thing? Starting off with that other massive melodic dubstep DNQ I mentioned in my Aelandor write-up, I am so lost as to how 'Chasing Ghosts' managed to DNQ as well, I was adding up the results for this contest and kept hoping its other big fans were just around the corner but alas it fell a bit short. Boo. That's their only appearance in my top 100 but three more of their entries get positions. Their contest winner 'Aide' comes in as my 4th favourite winner of the year, a brilliant bit of genre-bending craziness which slays me in all kind of ways with all of its different drops. A real moment when it won, as it of course signalled the coming of the fabled BeaverJSC (#thealoeveracactusplantgrowslop-sided) *.* Also sneaking into the top 150 just about is the iconic 'Ganjaman' (don't do drugs kids), if only that had made its way into the UK charts. And juuuuust missing out on giving them a 4th top 150 appearance is 'Nagada Sang Dhol', I can never say no to a good Bollywood bop, so glad a few of them have qualified even if they never do well in the final. Moving on, the aforementioned coming of the BeaverJSC meant Mazoo And The Zoo finally achieved some justice for their moral winner 'I Kamíla' as they got their AQ slot with moral winner 'I Tígri', another track from them which I genuinely enjoy on some level (with a bit of irony for good measure), not quite as much of an earworm but with some additional Indian flavours of its own. I simply demand a Mazoo trilogy be completed in 2017!! And another song which got into my votes, 'Only A Girl' is a good Lorde-alike #tenniscourtanthem though I haven't gone back to it much since the contest. 'Medicine' is a very lovely song too. The Beav's only real missteps in 2016 were the last two, 'Dreamin'' is not BAD but just exceedingly basic really which isn't a good look on Beaverdonia, and 'Him' was, er, a thing. Which was very annoying and rightfully bombed out. Beaverism is only justified for that. Other than that... #barnstompers!!

REPUBLIC OF ADONIA
Lorn - Acid Rain [#82] > Dusky - Ingrid Is A Hybrid > Jane Zhang - Dust My Shoulders Off (feat. Timbaland) > Anna Of The North - The Dreamer > dumblonde - dreamsicle > Hayley Kiyoko - Gravel To Tempo > OH MY GIRL - Liar Liar
Cult favourite 'Acid Rain' is the clear highlight of the Republic's output for 2016, with its spooky and enchanting production and again the same kind of haunting and ethereal vibe as 'Luststruck', thankfully picking up a few more fans on this occasion and even becoming a surprise TBO semi-finalist. And... well, Republic of Adonia had another surprise TBO semi-finalist as well didn't they :') let's not go there again lest I trigger my PTSD (poor 'Scope'). 'Gravel To Tempo' actually isn't even a bad song but there is just nothing to it, far inferior to her previous entries IMO, and it's beaten to the punch for Adonia's worst entry of 2016 by the rather irritating 'Liar Liar'. Back to the good end, 'Ingrid Is A Hybrid' was another great slice of sample-filled electronica from Dusky (though not quite as great as 'Yoohoo'), I like to pretend it didn't get that deduction and was actually a top 10 hit as it'd be faaaar more deserved than the song that got in instead. 'Dust My Shoulders Off' was a much better Asian offering, can't really argue with Timbaland produx and a simple but catchy chorus, and of course that video *.* Their other two entries this year tend to slip my memory entirely, I was recently reminded of 'The Dreamer' by Rejects and it was better than I remembered it being although I've gone and totally forgotten how it goes again :') but yeah, a decent enough blogpop song I guess but no tears shed over its DNQ. 'dreamsicle' is okay too although also a bit nothingy, as far as post-Danity Kane projects go I think I'll stick with Dawn Richard. Hope to see a full slate of 10 entries from Adonia in 2017, they seem to be getting the hang of voting on time recently ;o

75-51 next time I get around to posting a section (might be on hold until after exams). We'll get there eventually. kink.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 7th January 2017, 11:59 PM
Post #70
Group icon

FEYNMAN and Tuna showing up here *.* So glad that FEYNMAN grew on you in the end, came worryingly close to the first finalist of mine that you hadn't voted for! kink.gif I totally get why it was such a grower though when it has quite a few different components to it ~ takes a lil while for the whole package to gel into one.

I still cannae at Tuna flopping so hard but I'm glad that at least you appreciate how swag and bonkers it is. One day BJSC will like my weird foreign rap songs wink.gif x

That Republic of Adonia ranking is almost spot on, would only swap Anna Of The North and dumblonde around maybe. Lorn, Dusky & Jane were so easily their highlights this year wub.gif Correct Varakë fave (basil.gif) with strong South Danaelanda, Ultraviolenceland and Beaverdonia rankings on the whole also ~ #nsync

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 8th January 2017, 12:08 AM
Post #71
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

I'm guessing "This Girl" was one of the songs that you were debating to exclude because of its chart impact?

So it WAS Pixel Fix that ended up in the top 100! Probably my favorite out of my DNQ's although that might change if something I REALLY love just tanks. As for the others, yeah I think "Nostalgia" might be my fave Aelandor entry now, probably because I've gotten into another Said The Sky song tongue.gif Also really loving "Gregory's Theme" and "Youth" heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 8th January 2017, 12:11 AM
Post #72
Group icon

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 08/01/2017

The Best of BJSC IX & The Best of BJSC - The Rejects IX summaries

To round off BJSC for 2016 as the first contest of the new year approaches, we shall dump all of our nominations and votes for The Best of BJSC IX and the accompanying Rejects contest in this post. The final results for the two contests were announced back to back a few nights ago, no representation for Persephonia in either unfortunately, but to quickly recap the big successes:

- In the Rejects final hosted by Aeroche, Daehun won with 'Hero' by Namie Amuro on 145 points, narrowly beating St. Burbia offering 'Can't Get Enough' by Basenji with 144 points. A cursory glance at our final rankings for this contest will sum up how we feel about this result. Beyond that, Ramrynia had a very good night - all 3 of their 2016 DNQs made it to the Rejects final, and two of them finished in the top 5: Just Kiddin's 'Fall For You' 3rd with 125 points and Michaela May's '1954' just behind with 120 points. Their DNQ that was actually quite good smile.gif didn't do as well, The Japanese House's 'Face Like Thunder' floundering in 31st out of 43. The top 5 was completed by Hushkanukia's sole DNQ 'Caution Tape' by Starling Glow with 118 points. Let's never speak of this contest again.

- Then we went to République d'Ashton for the final of the main event (which actually attracted fewer voters than Rejects, hm), where we can happily report there were infinitely better results. As widely expected, Yehesi entry 'Bonbon' by Era Istrefi finished on top with 101 points, despite 'only' coming 3rd in its original contest. Ethanola seem to have gone MIA for the time being and did not submit votes, but luckily this didn't affect their TBO result as Hilight Tribe's 'Free Tibet' (Vini Vici Remix) still finished second despite a 15 point deduction, to finish on 74 points, being the highest placed of 2016's winners (of which only Crystal Waters' 'Relax' did not make it to the TBO final). 'Free Tibet' also came 2nd in Persephonia's votes - the song that beat it there is the song that completed the TBO top 3, FSR Rontvia entry 'Ilumbarada' by Ortiga (71 points), only 5th in its original contest but outperforming that here thanks to many of its key supporters actually showing up to support it again. Completing the top 5 were South Danaelanda with TheFatRat's 'Monody' (feat. Laura Brehm), 4th with 61 points, and Altyr Muunilinst with WILLA's 'Hey', 5th with 60 points. Notably both of those also didn't win their original contests. The next highest placed winner was Allie X's 'Sanctuary' which finished 7th for Deandria.

Full Persephonian rankings and nominations for The Best of BJSC - The Rejects IX

Final

Points awarded:
18 Trifoski // Anna Meredith - Nautilus
15 Quintessa // Crywolf - Akureyri
13 Deandria // Clément Bazin - With You

12 Desbuanda // Batuk - Daniel (feat. Nandi Ndlovu)
11 Tartford // Luce Drayton - To Be Loved (Disco Citizens Remix)
10 Varakë // De̊ǰa - Luststruck
9 Desbuanda // A R I Z O N A - Cross My Mind
8 Deandria // Vogel - Hologram
7 Tartford // Jody Wisternoff - The Bridge (Chicane Rework) (feat. Sian Evans)
6 Ethanola // Green Velvet - Bigger Than Prince (Hot Since 82 Remix)

5 Terra Avium // U.S. Girls - Woman's Work
4 Trifoski // Melt Yourself Down - Fix My Life
3 Harmonica // Megan McCauley - Die For You
2 Singerpurear // Kishi Bashi - Ode To My Next Life
1 South Danaelanda // Tobtok - Aber

16th-43rd:
Flynnonda // LKA - TURBULENCE
Kluminican Republic // Jetta - I'd Love To Change The World (Matstubs Remix)
Triangledonia // TAI and Son Of 8 - In & Out
Pupok // GIRLI - Girl I Met On The Internet
D'yermak'er // Terror Jr - Sugar
Land of DW // Indaqo - Boom Boom Boom
Brechtoria // Stadiumx - Mombasa
Jayrusalem // Keke Palmer - I Don't Belong To You
South Danaelanda // Mr FijiWiji, Direct and Aruna - Time To Say Goodbye
Flynnonda // Ruth Koleva - Oceans
Usfland // Sonny J - Can't Stop Moving
Dobago // Monoir and Osaka - The Violin Song (feat. Brianna)
Aelandor // Relient K - Cat
Aeroche // Bassnectar - Now (feat. Rye Rye)
Cor Lupus // Atlas Genius - Stockholm
Summericia // Hartebees - Justified (Sunrise Funk) (feat. Kaleena Zanders)
Ramrynia // The Japanese House - Face Like Thunder
Republic of Adonia // Anna Of The North - The Dreamer
Ultraviolenceland // FLETCHER - Over My Head
Hushkanukia // Starling Glow - Caution Tape
Florina // Echos - Gold
Ramrynia // Michaela May - 1954
Altyr Muunilinst // Jess Mills - For My Sins
Triangledonia // MaRLo - You And Me (feat. Chloe)
Ramrynia // Just Kiddin - Fall For You
Daehun // Namie Amuro - Hero
Daehun // Jain - Come
St. Burbia // Basenji - Can't Get Enough

~

Nominations

+5 Quintessa // Crywolf - Akureyri
+4 Fljótavík // Arthur Beatrice - Who Returned
+3 Terra Avium // U.S. Girls - Woman's Work
+2 Espen // Dahlia Sleeps - Hessian
+1 Tartford // Skinny - Failure

+5 Desbuanda // Batuk - Daniel (feat. Nandi Ndlovu)
+4 Cor Lupus // Pixel Fix - You Settle Me
+3 Espen // İrem Derici - Dantel
+2 Jukianië // LL - Lie
+1 Dalisska // KNOWER - Hanging On

+5 Suedeonia // Weather Report - Birdland
+4 Tartford // Jody Wisternoff - The Bridge (Chicane Rework) (feat. Sian Evans)
+3 Tinnmark // Rockettothesky - Grizzly Man
+2 Trifoski // Melt Yourself Down - Fix My Life
+1 Flynnonda // Wolfie - Obi Wan

+5 Skall // O'Flynn - Desmond's Empire
+4 Summericia // Dennis Sheperd and Sarah Lynn - Dive
+3 Kluminican Republic // Jetta - I'd Love To Change The World (Matstubs Remix)
+2 Deandria // Anna And The Barbies - Álmatlan
+1 Daehun // IU - Twenty-Three

+5 Aelandor // Said The Sky - Nostalgia (feat. Missio)
+4 Harmonica // Megan McCauley - Die For You
+3 Espen // Nneka - Soul Is Heavy
+2 Flynnonda // LKA - TURBULENCE
+1 Singerpurear // Ezra Furman - Restless Year

+5 Jadakissnia // Tuna - Seret Aravi
+4 Varakë // De̊ǰa - Luststruck
+3 Syndare // Calypso - Numbered
+2 Skall // Dave DK - Woolloomooloo
+1 Séyetana // 3-nen E-gumi Utatan - Jiriki Hongan Revolution

+5 Trifoski // Anna Meredith - Nautilus
+4 Terra Avium // Essaie Pas - Le Port Du Masque Est De Rigueur
+3 Ethanola // Green Velvet - Bigger Than Prince (Hot Since 82 Remix)
+2 Bubblelands // Ta-Ra - ORION (feat. ISSUE)
+1 Cumulonimbia // The Len Goodman Independent Artists For Online Kindness Collective - Theme For BuzzJack (BBC News Remix)

+5 Desbuanda // A R I Z O N A - Cross My Mind
+4 Deandria // Maya's Moving Castle - When You Wish Upon The Stars
+3 Kingdom of Horanius // The Opposites - Licht Uit
+2 Espen // Cosima - Had To Feel Something
+1 Ethanola // Attom - Afterglow (feat. Ciele)

+5 Deandria // Clément Bazin - With You
+4 Beaverdonia // The Eden Project - Chasing Ghosts
+3 Espen // Mashrou' Leila - Kalam (H4Z3 Private Mix)
+2 FKA FKA FKA π // Francis And The Lights - I Want You To Shake
+1 Ethanola // Noir and Olivier Giacomotto - Reste (Raxon Remix)

+5 Ethanola // V.O. - Mashisa (Dub Mix)
+4 Tartford // Luce Drayton - To Be Loved (Disco Citizens Remix)
+3 Thelonia // LeBrock - One Night
+2 Deandria // Vogel - Hologram
+1 Pagasa // Marineros - Torbellino

Full Persephonian rankings and nominations for The Best of BJSC IX

Final

Points awarded:
12 FSR Rontvia // Ortiga - Ilumbarada
10 Ethanola // Hilight Tribe - Free Tibet (Vini Vici Remix)
8 Aeroche // Fraunhofer Diffraction - Fate

7 Břtanikkä // Sagi Abitbul and Guy Haliva - Stanga
6 FKA FKA FKA π // Mai Lan - Technique
5 Pupok // Vesala - Tequila
4 Jadakissnia // BLVCK CEILING - WVFFLIFE (CHVRN Remix)
3 Yehesi // Era Istrefi - Bonbon
2 Dobago // Imany - Don't Be So Shy (Filatov & Karas Remix)
1 Pupok // Rich White Ladies - Wimbledon

11th-30th:
Břtanikkä // Kungs vs. Cookin' On 3 Burners - This Girl
N DNTN // RAYE - Shhh
N DNTN // Nadia Tehran - Cash Flow
Břtanikkä // LP - Lost On You (Live)
Beaverdonia // Bang La Decks - Aide
Yehesi // K3 - 10.000 Luchtballonnen
Cor Lupus // The Naked And Famous - Higher
FARC // Salt Ashes - Save It
New Lexico // Celtic Woman - Tír Na nÓg (feat. Oonagh)
Pupok // Aelyn - Give Love A Try
Aeroche // Polyna - Angel (Club Mix)
Yehesi // Rochelle - All Night Long
Vülkyria // Lushington - You Got Me Baby
Altyr Muunilinst // WILLA - Hey
Deandria // Allie X - Sanctuary
South Danaelanda // TheFatRat - Monody (feat. Laura Brehm)
Hendinia // That Poppy - Money
Medhelnia // Parade Of Lights - Feeling Electric
Cadelicia // Feed Me - What It Feels Like (feat. Nina Nesbitt)
Ramrynia // NEIKED - Sexual (feat. Dyo)

~

Semi-Final 1

Points awarded:
18 FSR Rontvia // Ortiga - Ilumbarada
15 Dobago // Albin Myers and Carli - The Legend
13 FKA FKA FKA π // Mai Lan - Technique

12 Jadakissnia // HĆLOS - Earth Not Above
11 Pupok // Vesala - Tequila
10 Harmonica // Sleigh Bells - A/B Machines
9 Séyetana // Arion - At The Break Of Dawn (feat. Elize Ryd)
8 Cumulonimbia // Dan Deacon - Change Your Life (You Can Do It)
7 Republic of Adonia // Lorn - Acid Rain
6 N DNTN // RAYE - Shhh

5 Břtanikkä // Kungs vs. Cookin' On 3 Burners - This Girl
4 Beaverdonia // Bang La Decks - Aide
3 St. Burbia // Jorja Smith - Blue Lights
2 Singerpurear // Kadie Elder - First Time He Kissed A Boy
1 Yehesi // K3 - 10.000 Luchtballonnen

16th-39th:
FARC // Salt Ashes - Save It
Cadelicia // Mendoza - Love Druggie (Addict) (Jade Blue Remix)
Yehesi // Rochelle - All Night Long
Pupok // Aelyn - Give Love A Try
Aeroche // Polyna - Angel (Club Mix)
Vülkyria // Lushington - You Got Me Baby
Ultraviolenceland // Casi - Lion
Taahino // Beautiful Bodies - Capture & Release
FARC // MUNA - Winterbreak
Altyr Muunilinst // WILLA - Hey
Hendinia // That Poppy - Money
Lomaja // Kero Kero Bonito - Trampoline
FSR Rontvia // KOLAJ - The Touch
Břtanikkä // ALMA - Karma
Ramrynia // Sabrina Carpenter - On Purpose
Hendinia // Against The Current - Outsiders
Unovia // Ricki-Lee - Mirage
Cadelicia // Feed Me - What It Feels Like (feat. Nina Nesbitt)
#00274E // Yuri and Seohyun - Secret
Harmonica // Lauren Alaina - Road Less Traveled
Unovia // Tal - Are We Awake
#00274E // Crystal Waters - Relax
Ultraviolenceland // Lucy Hale - Lie A Little Better
Taahino // Crystalyne - Punks Don't Dance

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 2

Points awarded:
18 Ethanola // Hilight Tribe - Free Tibet (Vini Vici Remix)
15 Aeroche // Fraunhofer Diffraction - Fate
13 Desbuanda // SOFI TUKKER - Matadora

12 Břtanikkä // Sagi Abitbul and Guy Haliva - Stanga
11 New Lexico // Sofi De La Torre - Colorblind Cruisin
10 Jadakissnia // BLVCK CEILING - WVFFLIFE (CHVRN Remix)
9 Altyr Muunilinst // Atella and Frřder - Closer To Life
8 Yehesi // Era Istrefi - Bonbon
7 Dobago // Imany - Don't Be So Shy (Filatov & Karas Remix)
6 Břtanikkä // Ratty - Sunrise (Here I Am)

5 Pupok // Rich White Ladies - Wimbledon
4 Cadelicia // Die Antwoord - Banana Brain
3 Aeroche // Little Big - Hateful Love
2 N DNTN // Nadia Tehran - Cash Flow
1 Břtanikkä // LP - Lost On You (Live)

16th-40th:
Jadakissnia // OVERWERK - Toccata
What // KONTRUST - Sock 'N' Doll
Pupok // GIRLI - So You Think You Can Fuck With Me Do Ya
Cor Lupus // The Naked And Famous - Higher
Cor Lupus // CONTACT - Never Stop
New Lexico // Celtic Woman - Tír Na nÓg (feat. Oonagh)
Aeroche // Sophie Beem - Skyline
Deandria // Allie X - Sanctuary
South Danaelanda // TheFatRat - Monody (feat. Laura Brehm)
Hushkanukia // FRANKIE - Gold
FSR Rontvia // Olivia - I'm Not Your Lady
Unovia // Jackie Tech - You Can Have It All
Aeroche // Zonderling - Crazy For You (feat. BISHŘP)
Medhelnia // Parade Of Lights - Feeling Electric
Unovia // FRENSHIP and Emily Warren - Capsize
Dobago // Mahmut Orhan - Feel (feat. Sena Şener)
République d'Ashton // Madison Beer - All For Love (feat. Jack & Jack)
Land of DW // Ward Thomas - Carry You Home
Ramrynia // NEIKED - Sexual (feat. Dyo)
Ramrynia // Cilia - Hardcore Heartbreak
Pupok // Haschak Sisters - Daddy Says No
Yehesi // TP4Y - Blush
Republic of Adonia // Hayley Kiyoko - Gravel To Tempo
Bhangra // Timeflies - Once In A While
Cadelicia // 4Minute - Hate

DNQed

~

Nominations

+5 Séyetana // Nao Hiiragi - Requiem (Stygia Bootleg)
+4 Desbuanda // SOFI TUKKER - Matadora
+3 Jadakissnia // Sonia & Selena - Yo Quiero Bailar
+2 Oslol // Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
+1 Ethanola // Dele Sosimi Afrobeat Orchestra - Too Much Information (Laolu Remix Edit)

+5 Fljótavík // Kenton Slash Demon - Harpe
+4 Cadelicia // Daler Mehndi - Tunak Tunak Tun...
+3 FKA FKA FKA π // Ital Tek - Cobra
+2 New Lexico // Sofi De La Torre - Colorblind Cruisin
+1 Jadakissnia // BLVCK CEILING - WVFFLIFE (CHVRN Remix)

+5 #00274E // Paul Cronin - Now Bad Boy
+4 Skall // Teengirl Fantasy - Azz Klapz
+3 Syndare // DJDS - In The Flames
+2 Jadakissnia // VHS Glitch - Blood In Blood Out
+1 Séyetana // FAUN and Santiano - Tanz Mit Mir

+5 N DNTN // John The Baptiste - Socila
+4 Singerpurear // Yothu Yindi - Treaty (Filthy Lucre Remix)
+3 Harmonica // Sleigh Bells - A/B Machines
+2 Desbuanda // LSDXOXO - Angel Dust
+1 Trifoski // Javiera Mena - Otra Era

+5 Skall // Bicep - Just
+4 N DNTN // Plaitum - Jagwa
+3 Terra Avium // Delhi 2 Dublin - Apples
+2 FSR Rontvia // Real Lies - North Circular
+1 Tartford // Cigarettes After Sex - Keep On Loving You

+5 Dobago // Albin Myers and Carli - The Legend
+4 Quintessa // ANi GLASS - Y Ddawns
+3 Fljótavík // Hanna Järver - Anekdoter
+2 Ethanola // Konstantin Sibold - Mutter
+1 Usfland // Apollo 440 - Blackbeat

+5 FSR Rontvia // Ortiga - Ilumbarada
+4 Jadakissnia // FM-84 - Arcade Summer
+3 Syndare // Yoko Ono and Penguin Prison - She Gets Down On Her Knees
+2 FKA FKA FKA π // Mai Lan - Technique
+1 St. Burbia // Zack Knight and Jasmin Walia - Dum Dee Dum

+5 Tinnmark // Wardruna - Odal
+4 Skall // Stupeflip - Stupeflip Vite !!!
+3 Jadakissnia // MssingNo - Scope
+2 FKA FKA FKA π // Ariel Pink - Not Enough Violence
+1 Terra Avium // daydreamer - Travelling Light

+5 Medhelnia // Ou Est Le Swimming Pool - Dance The Way I Feel
+4 Břtanikkä // Sagi Abitbul and Guy Haliva - Stanga
+3 Land of DW // Marusha - Deep
+2 Séyetana // Christopher Tin - Temen Oblak (feat. Le Mystčre Des Voix Bulgares)
+1 Singerpurear // Princess Chelsea - The Cigarette Duet

+5 Terra Avium // Kitchen - Time (Inception)
+4 N-Lazone // John Rous and Alfie Rhodes - Oasis
+3 Skall // David Lyme - Bye, Bye Mi Amor
+2 Jadakissnia // HĆLOS - Earth Not Above
+1 Quintessa // Ghost - Square Hammer

+Quote this post
Brer
post 8th January 2017, 12:23 AM
Post #73
Group icon

QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 7 2017, 11:59 PM) *
FEYNMAN and Tuna showing up here *.* So glad that FEYNMAN grew on you in the end, came worryingly close to the first finalist of mine that you hadn't voted for! kink.gif I totally get why it was such a grower though when it has quite a few different components to it ~ takes a lil while for the whole package to gel into one.

I still cannae at Tuna flopping so hard but I'm glad that at least you appreciate how swag and bonkers it is. One day BJSC will like my weird foreign rap songs wink.gif x

That Republic of Adonia ranking is almost spot on, would only swap Anna Of The North and dumblonde around maybe. Lorn, Dusky & Jane were so easily their highlights this year wub.gif Correct Varakë fave (basil.gif) with strong South Danaelanda, Ultraviolenceland and Beaverdonia rankings on the whole also ~ #nsync

Haha, here's hoping we'll get through 2017 as well without me having to snub one of your entries. magic.gif I'm so shocked at us matching on Varakë's best as well mellow.gif #nsync xx Poor brave Tuna will get his justice one day.

QUOTE(Cody Lightwood @ Jan 8 2017, 12:08 AM) *
I'm guessing "This Girl" was one of the songs that you were debating to exclude because of its chart impact?

So it WAS Pixel Fix that ended up in the top 100! Probably my favorite out of my DNQ's although that might change if something I REALLY love just tanks. As for the others, yeah I think "Nostalgia" might be my fave Aelandor entry now, probably because I've gotten into another Said The Sky song tongue.gif Also really loving "Gregory's Theme" and "Youth" heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif

Correct! The other two are 'The Look' (totally coincidental those two are next to each other) and 'Dance The Way I Feel' which is obviously still to come. x And yup, remember I said Pixel Fix was my favourite Cor Lupus entry to date at the time! Still a bit of a baffling DNQ and can't believe it didn't make it to the Rejects final either :'( yass at another 'Nostalgia' fan. x

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 8th January 2017, 12:35 AM
Post #74
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

Fab to see Kosmos here *.*

NEVER FORGET.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 8th January 2017, 01:19 AM
Post #75
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

EOYs with paragraphs and rankings on each country need to become more of a thing, especially when I agree with most of them *.* I'll remember to check this thread in August to read mine x (kink.gif jk, you can do it!11)

Lots of big highlights so far (expected given we have like half of the same songs in our EOY lists~), especially good to see T2Kazuya in someone else's list heart.gif Gah @ you still not coming round to Monody though

+Quote this post
Brer
post 8th January 2017, 07:10 PM
Post #76
Group icon

BJSC 91

"Ladies and gentlemen, the Universe as we know it has now been in existence for over one hundred and seventy thousand million billion years and will be ending in a little over half an hour. So, welcome one and all to Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe!"

(note: my entry does not actually have anything to do with the works of Douglas Adams, it just felt appropriate x)

+Quote this post
m
post 8th January 2017, 09:38 PM
Post #77
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132

coldplay teas

+Quote this post
Brer
post 16th January 2017, 12:35 AM
Post #78
Group icon

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 16/01/2017

xi for XCI

Persephonia's first BJSC entry of 2017 can now be revealed as the semi-finals of BJSC 91 have begun, held in the city of Quota, Aeroche. Representing us in our 70th main contest to date is Japanese producer Yusuke Ishiwata, better known as xi, with 'Happy End Of The World', the closing track from his 2013 second studio album 'Agartha' (on which it appears under its Japanese title 'ハッピーエンドオブザワールド' which made Googling for the album info a bit of a pain. x) Outside of that it's also apparently a popular soundtrack to the rhythm video game osu! (some very impressive gameplay videos for the song out there).

'Happy End Of The World' is our 9th instrumental main contest entry and also the second longest track we've ever sent to BJSC (also excluding spinoffs), clocking in at 6:27, just one second shorter than The Rapture's 'How Deep Is Your Love?' It's the second track we have sent by a Japanese artist, following WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA's 'Shakushain'. The track is of a genre known as artcore, which is apparently mostly exclusive to a select few Japanese video game music producers, and is essentially heavily piano-based drum n bass / hardcore techno. This track is a little bit more laidback and less dancefloor-ready than a lot of xi's output, but contains a few twists and turns, flipping from from a simple lullaby-esque piano melody to dramatic and chaotic drum n bass sections and even parts that have a bit of a post-rock vibe to them, all making for a little ~journey~ of a song that we feel fits the title very well - it feels like a soundtrack to the apocalypse, but still somehow upbeat and optimistic. Reminding me a little bit of the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, hence the teaser. Or maybe that's all bullshit. It's a cool song anyway and we're hoping it will attract at least a small handful of other big fans. Have a listen to it below:

'Happy End Of The World' has been drawn in slot 24 out of 31 in semi-final 2. In the opposite semi-final, the latest Persephonia alumni to be recycled are Digitalism, who represent Beaverdonia in this contest with 'Open Waters', track 26 there.

(2016 EOY will still be continuing, gonna aim to get most of it done in my 2 weeks off after exams magic.gif)

+Quote this post
danG
post 16th January 2017, 10:21 AM
Post #79
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

this is v good!!! Sounds like a cross between a virtuosic romantic piano concerto and epic pokémon battle music, which is quite amazing in itself.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 16th January 2017, 01:28 PM
Post #80
Group icon

Yay, a fan already heart.gif that does sound like a pretty good description of it as well!

Looking forward to hearing your entry too as it sounds pretty fab from the description (and I loved the previous Aly & Fila and Susana entries in BJSC), hopefully a good month for #SDNLphonia for the first time in a while ;o

+Quote this post

17 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 4th May 2024, 02:39 PM