BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 2016 Regional Elections, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, London Mayor & various Councils
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Qassändra
post 30th June 2015, 01:39 PM
Post #21
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480

Again, you're switching to a different argument. The subject was whether or not their promises meant anything.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 30th June 2015, 07:41 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Jun 30 2015, 02:39 PM) *
Again, you're switching to a different argument. The subject was whether or not their promises meant anything.

OK. Short version. Words not actions. I don't believe any politician will do anything other than dance around the edges of the subject so it matters not who you vote for, and local government is powerless. London is special, apparently. How marvellous for non-Londoners.

+Quote this post
Soy Adriįn
post 30th June 2015, 08:16 PM
Post #23
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

This mayoral election is going to make me feel really bitter. I can't imagine how the non-Mancunians will feel...

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 30th June 2015, 08:53 PM
Post #24
Group icon
DROTTNING!

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Jun 30 2015, 08:41 PM) *
OK. Short version. Words not actions. I don't believe any politician will do anything other than dance around the edges of the subject so it matters not who you vote for, and local government is powerless. London is special, apparently. How marvellous for non-Londoners.

All wonderful, but not especially relevant to assessing the worth of promises for a mayoralty that actually does have power (but has had a mayor for the last seven years who couldn't be less concerned with using any of it).

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 1st July 2015, 09:12 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

in terms of total new affordable housing some might argue John Major's era did best for London, that Ken under-delivered on his stated aims even with the benefit of support of a Labour government (and a lot of that was Olympics-related spin-off), and that Boris/London reflected the national decline in affordable housing when Labour's policy was ended....

or might not argue that, of course.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 6th July 2015, 05:55 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Scottish Government are having a cabinet meeting in Cupar this evening. Should be an interesting event!!!

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 15th August 2015, 10:43 AM
Post #27
Group icon
DROTTNING!

Kezia Dugdale elected the sixth leader of Scottish Labour in eight years. Here's hoping she can make it to 2021 at least.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 15th August 2015, 12:09 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Queen of Soon

She does seem to have more intelligence than her Rival who seemed to think that he would be first minister in May. Despite the fact that the SNP are still polling at 60% and Labour are barely polling higher than the tories... Delusional.

I do quite like Kezia though and it means all three of our major parties are female led.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 15th March 2016, 12:16 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Queen of Soon

Things this side of the border are getting farcical. It's absolutely hilarious to watch Scottish Labour in particular right now.

They have just announced a smart ticketing system for Scotland's public transport network. No word yet on if this is the same smart ticket as the "Saltire Card" that was announced in 2012 or the smart ticketing that was made an integral part of the new Scotrail franchise and is currently being rolled out by Scotrail (that is compatible with the clockwork orange)

The other day they committed the UK government to buying stakes in the North Sea Oil and Gas sector to protect jobs despite the fact that the UK Labour Party they committed this policy to having no chance of implementing it until 2020 at the earliest just in time for the next Scottish election.

I'm all for innovative solutions and new ideas for the country I've grown up in but let's not reheat a current SNP policy that's currently being implemented (even if it's slower and less ambitious than it should be) as that's just lazy. Also lets not commit yourself to policies that you can't implement without the help of a uk government that doesn't exist.

It's really no surprise that current polls have Labour and the Tories in a close battle for 2nd

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 15th March 2016, 02:04 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

Scottish Labour are obviously trying the tactic that has worked well for Boris J***s*n (sorry, I can't subject my laptop to typing his full name). He has successfully got the credit for the London bicycle rental scheme, despite the fact that it was initiated by Ken Livingstone, after it had first been suggested by the Lib Dems. Similarly, the Tories have managed to get all the credit for various Lib Dem policies introduced under the coalition, in particular increasing the personal allowance. The only coalition move attributed to the Lib Dems is the tuition fee policy, which most Lib Dem backbenchers opposed.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 15th March 2016, 05:31 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Mar 15 2016, 02:04 PM) *
Scottish Labour are obviously trying the tactic that has worked well for Boris J***s*n (sorry, I can't subject my laptop to typing his full name). He has successfully got the credit for the London bicycle rental scheme, despite the fact that it was initiated by Ken Livingstone, after it had first been suggested by the Lib Dems. Similarly, the Tories have managed to get all the credit for various Lib Dem policies introduced under the coalition, in particular increasing the personal allowance. The only coalition move attributed to the Lib Dems is the tuition fee policy, which most Lib Dem backbenchers opposed.

It almost sounds as if the scruples of the major party politicians are fluid. As if they'll say anything to get power at any cost. I suggest broadcasters start replacing the soundtrack of any politician who re-invents history in his or her chosen image with Sammy Davis Jr's I've Gotta Be Me, just to underline the fluidity we are viewing.....

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 17th April 2016, 11:24 AM
Post #32
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

So does anyone think that the Tories will come second in Scotland on May 5th?

I would say that Labour would be better to focus on their pro-Union aspects to set them apart from the nationalists!

+Quote this post
Silas
post 17th April 2016, 04:09 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Queen of Soon

That just plays into the SNPs rhetoric of them being the same as the Tories. The best thing for Scottish Labour to do would be to avoid the constitution entirely, which means what Kez will be doing is trying to pass off other parties policies as her own while screaming about IndyRef2 at the decibels of a 3 year old mid tantrum.

I think second and third will be a tough battle. Especially as 4th is looking like a strong showing for the Greens which is squeezing the middle a little more.

+Quote this post
Soy Adriįn
post 17th April 2016, 05:19 PM
Post #34
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

The middle party's not that squeezed, it's polling at nearly 50%!

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 17th April 2016, 05:24 PM
Post #35
Group icon
DROTTNING!

It's almost as if having a charismatic leader and gesturing left while in practice being centreground is a killer app in politics.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 17th April 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Queen of Soon

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish...15U0jEJvYJUa.97

We're bring the BabyBox to these shores! At last!! It's such a smart and nifty little idea from Finland that it really should have spread across the whole continent long before now.

+Quote this post
Harve
post 17th April 2016, 11:53 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

QUOTE(Silas @ Apr 17 2016, 06:50 PM) *
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish...15U0jEJvYJUa.97

We're bring the BabyBox to these shores! At last!! It's such a smart and nifty little idea from Finland that it really should have spread across the whole continent long before now.

If that doesn't promote some parody articles tomorrow morning then I'm unsubscribing from the Daily Mash.

+Quote this post
Danny
post 18th April 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 457

I'm in awe of how Scottish Labour seem determined to plumb new depths with each of their leaders. Whenever I've seen the latest one get interviewed, she seems to have come straight from the Liz Kendall mould of "out of depth primary-school teacher unable to control the class". Nicola Sturgeon and Ruth Davidson atleast seem to have some self-belief and a bit of gravitas, whatever you think of their policies.

Personally I think SLAB would be better off going back to Johann Lamont.

This post has been edited by Danny: 18th April 2016, 05:49 PM

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 18th April 2016, 08:20 PM
Post #39
Group icon
DROTTNING!

After THAT exit...

+Quote this post
Silas
post 18th April 2016, 08:25 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Queen of Soon

I would like Johann back. Have a lot of respect for her as a leader of SLab. Every once since has been a hot mess. It's a sad state of affairs that Kez is actually the best of the potentials.

+Quote this post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 17th May 2024, 09:27 PM