BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Top of the Flops: 2008, Your favourite songs that failed to become hits in 2008
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post 31st March 2024, 10:51 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Thank you for all the suggestions for your chart flops of 2007, now we look at the next year, 2008. What songs do you remember from this time and why do you remember them fondly? These could be songs that failed to make the UK Top 40 Singles Chart, or even the Top 75, but they have to have been released as a single at some point during the year.

I will nominate something in a little while that I personally enjoyed in this year, but for now, it’s over to you. happy.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 31st March 2024, 10:55 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

A trio of Alicia Keys songs, this one firstly reached 53 in early 08.

and these other two both missed the top 100, TLA just scraping in at #199.

My personal fave of the three, gorgeous track wub.gif which made #128.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 31st March 2024, 11:00 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

#50 in August 2008, this was part of the bassline genre which was popular at the time.

This post has been edited by TheSnake: 31st March 2024, 11:34 PM

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 31st March 2024, 11:30 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Rob aah

Solange's follow up which I found a bop which despite promo on Paul O Grady show and Jools Holland's Hootenanny only charted at a poor #149

+Quote this post
Scene
post 31st March 2024, 11:41 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

DNC/wasn't released

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 1st April 2024, 03:17 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Gia, do you know the order of the solos?
User: 21,308

MASSIVE in the US, only scraped in at #48 in the UK... Imma need to call the cops bc I just witnessed a ROBBERY

-

This was one of the first songs that popped into my head when I saw this thread... like HOW DID THIS NOT CHART IN THE UK

-

Another two songs by Paramore that only popped in at the 50s... strange how "That's What You Get" peaked higher in the UK than it did stateside. Side note: "Decode" might be on my list for the best songs ever made

-

I remember really liking Tokio Hotel back in middle school. These guys won Best New Artist at the VMAs last year, they never set the charts alight in English speaking countries but I'm glad their songs existed in the mainstream

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 1st April 2024, 07:29 AM
Post #7
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

Amanda Seyfried - Honey, Honey

Girls Aloud - Theme To St.Trinians

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 1st April 2024, 08:08 AM
Post #8
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

One of my top 10 songs of the decade had a #55 peak!

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 1st April 2024, 09:26 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

The downfalls of my faves but I still love them.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 1st April 2024, 09:35 AM
Post #10
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

The biggest star in the world started here - well actually in 2007 but the track got an initial UK push and play on some of the music video channels in 2008, and did absolutely nothing. It resurfaced the follwing year with a slightly spruced up remix for the UK market and at least charted that time, albeit low down. A lovely little country song but not on the main Eras setlist, so clearly not a fan or artist favourite. I imported the album in early 2008 after hearing this track on MySpace and loved it, but thought she was 'just another good country singer' at the time - lol. Shame those early pressings aren't worth anything now.

Not going to share Andy Abraham's Eurovision flop, but this song that was in the UK national final and was released and had a video. It did nothing of course but fit so well the soul/Motown sound dominating the UK charts at the time and would have been a suitable entry for us at this time.

I think this was maybe my favourite Sandi Thom song of all, very KT Tunstall...But it had an uneventful chart run of 59-58.

I'd like to share this because it had at least something of a small UK push, having charted in the top 10 in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Sadly it didn't chart here, but such a beautiful ballad.

BWO were back and bigger than ever with this Hung Up sound-a-like, which was one of their two UK No.69 hits in 2008. This is one of the rare (only?) non-winners of Melodifestivalen to chart in the UK. It finished third in the Swedish national final.

The follow up to Love Song, Bottle It Up was a bit more edgy and rocky, but did nothing for the eternally underrated Sara Bareilles.

Cascada was an act that defined hit or miss in the charts, going top 10 or missing the top 40 altogether depending on the song. Their second album, Perfect Day, had plenty of good tracks including the title track and Runaway. Thankfully they avoided releasing the naff P!nk and Avril covers, but this fairly average song wasn't going to do much better, and only peaked at No.51.

I know this got as high as No.26, but maybe with all of the artists on this you might have expected a little more? I wish it had been released in the social media era as memes from this (mostly ropey) performance still live on to this day. Some good turns from Beyoncé, Carrie Underwood, Leona Lewis and Mary J Blige though, and I still love Nicole's reaction to Natasha's shrieking vocal.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: 1st April 2024, 09:50 AM

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 1st April 2024, 10:07 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Rob aah

Here was their other #69 charting track. Made it to my top 20.

'I Thought It Was Over' was number one in my chart for like 5 or 6 weeks but didn't like the follow up 'Without You' which could be put here too as it peaked in the 50's but will post the superior follow ups to that.

Lead single from Daniel Powters next album reached #70. I did like this one a lot and would say it's his best as 'Bad Day' was never that great for me.

+Quote this post
Scene
post 1st April 2024, 11:36 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Baby Reindeer

QUOTE(Cody Scobell @ Apr 1 2024, 04:17 AM) *
This was one of the first songs that popped into my head when I saw this thread... like HOW DID THIS NOT CHART IN THE UK

To be fair, I don't think it was ever pushed in the UK which I remember thinking was so stupid at the time since it was a top 5 hit in the US. It could have easily charted higher than both 'Babies' and 'Soulmate' if it had promo and radio support.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 1st April 2024, 10:40 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I truly believe they screwed themselves out of a potential top 5 hit by not releasing 'Pocketful of Sunshine' here as a single in 2008. So stupid.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 2nd April 2024, 12:43 AM
Post #14
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Already mentioned in the Jem thread, but might as well mention it here!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 2nd April 2024, 12:56 AM
Post #15
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

QUOTE(Roba. @ Apr 1 2024, 12:30 AM) *
Solange's follow up which I found a bop which despite promo on Paul O Grady show and Jools Holland's Hootenanny only charted at a poor #149

Incredible song from a really beautiful artist! Just so DAMN GOOD!

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Apr 1 2024, 10:35 AM) *
I know this got as high as No.26, but maybe with all of the artists on this you might have expected a little more? I wish it had been released in the social media era as memes from this (mostly ropey) performance still live on to this day. Some good turns from Beyoncé, Carrie Underwood, Leona Lewis and Mary J Blige though, and I still love Nicole's reaction to Natasha's shrieking vocal.

What a song!! My favourite "made solely for Charity" single by quite some margin. Just so damn good and that performance is iconic! I still listen to and talk about this song a lot!

---

Following on from their absolute MONSTER HITS 'Apologize' and 'Stop & Stare', OneRepublic followed them up with 2 songs which were just as brilliant and honestly, I think I prefer over the singles! Both 'Say (All I Need)' & 'Mercy' deserved way way WAYYYYY more than they got. Both of these are those songs that is 10x better when enhanced on full blast with headphones on!

Say (All I Need) - UK #51

Mercy - UK DNC

-

Same Difference were such a fun act on X Factor in 2007. Something pop was missing at the time. They were launched into the big time with a STORMING pop single. We R One was given a huge X Factor performance slot and were primed to have a solid smash on their hands. It debuted and charted at #13, but had a very short shelf life </3 It's just a SOARING POP BANGER!!! Deserved way better </3

-

Following on from Scene mentioning the (fantastic!) Cherish 'Killa', I HAVE to mention another 'Step Up 2: The Streets' BANGER... Cassie's 'Is It You?'! This and 'Killa' really should have joined 'Low' in being absolute SMASHES from one of my favourite soundtracks! But unfortunately this only got to #52. FOR SHAME </3

-

Gone for a boy band next and it includes two men who went to join other boy bands to far greater success just a couple of years or so later. Avenue were being primed to be the next big boy band, but unfortunately it just wasn't meant to be as their lead single 'Last Goodbye' only charted at #50!

-

Finally, a song that heads one of my favourite Destiny's Child related albums... Michelle Williams released the synth-pop masterpiece We Break The Dawn! I was CERTAIN this would be an absolute SMASH but unfortunately it limped in to a lacklustre #47! The album this comes from is excellent. I really think this song was ahead of it's time by a year or so and would have been a bigger hit in 2009/2010 when that pop was really dominating the mainstream charts! Genuinely one of my favourite songs of all time!

This song walked so Alexandra Burke's (fantastic & best single!!!) 'All Night Long' could RUN!!!

+Quote this post
My... WAP??
post 2nd April 2024, 03:21 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 122,344

QUOTE(Jessie Where @ Apr 1 2024, 11:40 PM) *
I truly believe they screwed themselves out of a potential top 5 hit by not releasing 'Pocketful of Sunshine' here as a single in 2008. So stupid.

I'll never understand this one. A travesty when it so deserved to be a hit.

+Quote this post
Scene
post 2nd April 2024, 07:53 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Baby Reindeer

@Tafty didn’t Avenue go on X Factor (in 2006-07?) and get kicked off for lying about a management deal? laugh.gif also, I remember Max George in the group but don’t remember a second future boyband star. ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 2nd April 2024, 03:16 PM
Post #18
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

QUOTE(Scene @ Apr 2 2024, 08:53 AM) *
@Tafty didn’t Avenue go on X Factor (in 2006-07?) and get kicked off for lying about a management deal? laugh.gif also, I remember Max George in the group but don’t remember a second future boyband star. ohmy.gif
Yes, I think you're right now that you mention it! laugh.gif The 2nd star is the guy who starts the song off! He went on to lead the band called Lawson!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 2nd April 2024, 06:31 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Gia, do you know the order of the solos?
User: 21,308

“Just Stand Up!” was one of those “you had to be there” songs laugh.gif it was like the Avengers of female singers at the time. That performance is kinda iconic: a 15 year old Miley standing with TITANS, the cameraman not even showing Ciara during her one half-line… truly a once in a lifetime deal.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 2nd April 2024, 07:44 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Oh I loved the song itself too btw, I definitely bought it on iTunes (was there a CD single issued in the UK?) The studio version is a lovely listen.

Forgot about Avenue, that was a great pop song but boybands weren't *quite* back in vogue yet (JLS would bring them back later that year).

This post has been edited by gooddelta: 2nd April 2024, 07:44 PM

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd May 2024, 04:28 AM