BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Top of the Flops: 2009, Your favourite songs that failed to become hits in 2009
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post 7th April 2024, 09:42 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Thank you for all the suggestions for your chart flops of 2008, now we look at the next year, 2009. What songs do you remember from this time and why do you remember them fondly? These could be songs that failed to make the UK Top 40 Singles Chart, or even the Top 75, but they have to have been released as a single at some point during the year.

I will nominate something in a little while that I personally enjoyed in this year, but for now, it’s over to you. happy.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 7th April 2024, 10:13 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

Feels a bit ironic in some way posting both of these two since they are on course to be the final 2 in the 83 survivor this week! Both of these were big #1's in my chart!

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 7th April 2024, 10:19 PM
Post #3
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

When this could only reach #77 I began to lose faith in the idea that anything could chart if good enough and with decent airplay:

This had reached #51:

+Quote this post
Scene
post 7th April 2024, 10:28 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

Fan-favourite but failed to impact.

Was this even officially released in the UK? Even so, it deserved better.

Two big names couldn’t make this top 40.

This was rumoured to be for Rihanna’s Rated R at the time. But ended up flopping.

It made #32 - perhaps good for an independent release - but I was expecting more after how high-profile and controversial her X Factor exit was.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 7th April 2024, 10:30 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

The first collaboration between Röyksopp and Robyn - a glorious track that did nothing here (the lead single Happy Up Here did chart at No.44 in 2009)

This sublime Eurodance song came last in Eurovision 2009 for Finland but managed to chart in the UK anyway, at No.100. It was my ringtone for three years until Euphoria came along!

This very beautiful ballad came 2nd for Iceland in Eurovision and also charted, at No.49.

A quite beautiful song from Sharon Corr, but it didn't manage to chart at all.

This is such a wonderful song, it only peaked at No.64 but at least We Are The People was a hit.

This crept in at No.40 off the back of Release Me. A bit of a limp follow-up, On and On or Love Love Love would have done the trick better.

I remember thinking the nostalgic Aqua comeback was really good and had a chance of charting, but it didn't in the UK - was big across Scandinavia though. They had to change a Michael Jackson line in it following his death.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 7th April 2024, 10:31 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Rob aah

Oh yes 'Silly Boy' an obvious one too. Wasn't that predicted to be big especially on here and then disastrously flopped oops. Guess it got it's only success via here in a BJSC win for Kathaldazia though wink.gif

Love or like a lot mentioned though especially Killers, VV and Yohanna. Agnes one was quite good too and 'Earthquake' from Little Boots and 'Obsessed' too gosh!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 7th April 2024, 10:33 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

LETS GO!

Ciara feat. Missy Elliott - Work (#52)

An absolute TRAVESTY that this wasn't a MASSIVE top 10 smash to follow up the huge smash that 'Love Sex Magic' became! An all time fave for me!

---

Kelly Clarkson - Already Gone (#66)

Kelly started the year off with her first (and currently only!!!) UK number 1 smash hit 'My Life Would Suck Without You'. Followed it up with a successful album campaign (even if none of the following singles were big hits in the UK) but this is the biggest chart injustice of the year, imo. How did this BEAUT miss the top 10... let alone the top 40!!!? Ugh.

---

Lady Sovereign - So Human (#38)

When this first premiered I was certain it was an instant number 1 smash for her. In may ways I think this was maybe ahead of it's time a couple of years, but seeing it chart at #38 for two weeks and then falling out the top 100 2 weeks later... really HURT! What an absolute BOP! Deserved SO much better!

---

VV Brown - Shark In The Water (#34)

Weird adding this here considering this is by far and away her biggest hit. But I definitely expected better than 2 weeks top 40 for this and assumed (again) it would have been a huge top 5 smash at the least. One of the most infectious and summery songs of all time. Incredible song!

---

The Killers - Spaceman (#40)

This did not deserve to do as badly as it did. Yes, it would have helped sell the album, so it wasn't a "flop" in that sense, but it deserved to be an absolute SMASH! Definitely one of their most underrated songs ever! Deserved to be just as big as 'Human' was!

---

Mariah Carey - Obsessed (#52)

This is probably an unfair one to add here as it only flopped due to the release being messed up iirc! I can't remember what happened exactly, but this was destined to be a huge hit, but the messy release strategy meant it never actually got off the ground!

---

Little Boots - Earthquake (#84)

Little Boots was being primed to be "the next big thing" and things started out relatively well when 'Remedy' became a huge top 10 smash. The follow up 'Earthquake', to me was even better but BOMBED! My friend really hates Pixie Lott because he really believes she took the success that was meant for Little Boots! tearsmile.gif

---

Ashley Tisdale - It's Alright, It's OK (#104)

UGH. AN ALMIGHTY BANGER FROM ONE OF THE MOST UNDERRATED ALBUMS OF ALL TIME!!! Just incredible. Deserved so much more! An absolute ANTHEM!

---

Lazee feat. Neverstore - Hold On (#46)

A forgotten song! This was set to be a decent top 40 hit, but unfortunately for them, the week this was impacting, was the week Michael Jackson died iirc! It's a bop. Very of it's time, but I really enjoyed this at the time.

---

Girls Aloud - Untouchable (#11)

Finally, only putting this here because although it was a hit, it did not deserve to be the song that ruined their 100% top 10 streak! Deserved so much better </3 My favourite GA song!

---------------

I'll be back with more in a few days! I'll see what others bring too! My favourite year of music ever. I loved this year so f***ing muchhhhh!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 7th April 2024, 10:33 PM
Post #8
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

I adore 'White Winter Hymnal' and 'The Girl And The Robot' with every fibre of my being wub.gif

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Heads Will Roll

This had to settle for a #89 peak but an eternal spot on my Halloween playlist x

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 7th April 2024, 10:34 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

It must be noted that 'Radar' was the 4th single from the second studio album it was included on, which was utterly stupid.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 7th April 2024, 10:36 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Rob aah

'Already Gone' so popular it's been mentioned twice *.*

(Oh 'You Should've Known' was good as well!).

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 7th April 2024, 10:40 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Tafty³³³ @ Apr 7 2024, 11:33 PM) *
My favourite year of music ever. I loved this year so f***ing muchhhhh!

It's definitely up there in my top three years for music too. So many flops were great, but the stuff in the chart itself was just as great for a lot of the year. Loved the 80s throwback sounds, the really fresh sounding indie and alt stuff, there was some amazing pop, Eurovision had a fantastic year, UK rap was on form etc. It was streets ahead of 2008, which I had found very underwhelming.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 7th April 2024, 10:42 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

QUOTE(Roba. @ Apr 7 2024, 11:13 PM) *
Feels a bit ironic in some way posting both of these two since they are on course to be the final 2 in the 83 survivor this week! Both of these were big #1's in my chart!

TASTE!!

(I genuinely started my post when this topic had zero replies btw!! laugh.gif)

QUOTE(Scene @ Apr 7 2024, 11:28 PM) *
Was this even officially released in the UK? Even so, it deserved better.

This was rumoured to be for Rihanna’s Rated R at the time. But ended up flopping.
I don't think anything other than 'Love Story' and 'You Belong With Me' were pushed in the UK. I could be wrong though. Crazy that the UK didn't really get anything from 'Speak Now' era either.

'Silly Boy' is SO of it's time, but what a banger and I remember it becoming a huge Buzzjack staple! laugh.gif

(Oh and 'Video Phone' is horrendous. Genuinely one of their worst ever songs!)

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Apr 7 2024, 11:30 PM) *
The first collaboration between Röyksopp and Robyn - a glorious track that did nothing here (the lead single Happy Up Here did chart at No.44 in 2009)

This sublime Eurodance song came last in Eurovision 2009 for Finland but managed to chart in the UK anyway, at No.100. It was my ringtone for three years until Euphoria came along!

This very beautiful ballad came 2nd for Iceland in Eurovision and also charted, at No.49.

'The Girl & The Robot' is gorgeous. Really deserved it's moment in the charts.

'Lose Control' was one I had pencilled in for my next post in here! What a BANGER. Gutted it came last as I thought it was an easy chart hit! The Yohanna love too wub.gif I think that may have actually gone top 20 nowadays. A beaut! wub.gif

+Quote this post
Scene
post 7th April 2024, 10:48 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

This should have done better after T-Shirt.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 7th April 2024, 10:50 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Hello?

They re-released Teardrops On My Guitar here in 2009, it was tacked onto Fearless in a more sanitised, less country version.

Fifteen did make it onto a compilation at the time I recall, not sure if that was planned for a push at some point.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: 7th April 2024, 10:51 PM

+Quote this post
My... WAP??
post 7th April 2024, 10:58 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 122,344

Some great stuff already posted in this thread.

I think 'White Winter Hymnal', 'Walking On A Dream', 'Obsessed' and 'Heads Will Roll' all feel a lot better remember than their peak for sure.

Video Phone is indeed an awful racket. There's a cursed universe out there somewhere where that reached #1 and Telephone failed to make the top 40.

+Quote this post
My... WAP??
post 7th April 2024, 11:09 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

They may have had two top 10 smashes in this year but sadly this banger only peaked at #49 for the Prodigy...

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 7th April 2024, 11:39 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

QUOTE(Jade @ Apr 7 2024, 11:33 PM) *
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Heads Will Roll

This had to settle for a #89 peak but an eternal spot on my Halloween playlist x

I prefer the A-Trak remix even if it does owe a lot to Felix - Don't You Want Me.

+Quote this post
My... WAP??
post 7th April 2024, 11:43 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Still had fairly respectable top 40 runs with peaks of #21 and #36 but after the successes of the American Idiot era I would have expected bigger things from the Green Day comeback this year.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 8th April 2024, 12:19 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Rob aah

'21 Guns' is brilliant. Up there with their best for me!

+Quote this post
Riser
post 8th April 2024, 01:28 AM
Post #20
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Not an established artist, so not sure if it was really expected to do anything, but I remember it going 49-out I believe.

The follow-up to 'Rubber Lover', I liked this one a lot more but it missed the top 100 entirely

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th May 2024, 06:02 PM