BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
16 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> BuzzJack presents..., Classical - Page 16
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Last Dreamer
post 27th February 2024, 01:29 PM
Post #241
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

YES !!!! cheer.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 27th February 2024, 05:09 PM
Post #242
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Feb 27 2024, 10:12 AM) *
Coming soon…

Do the songs have to be in German - if not hoping to see Opus - Live Is Life on the playlist.

I don't know many other schlager songs - Modern Talking - Cheri Cheri Lady maybe?

Also maybe that Gompie - Alice song you mentioned recently on the 90s thread.

EDIT: Just remembered Nicole - A Little Peace.

This post has been edited by TheSnake: 27th February 2024, 05:50 PM

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 28th February 2024, 10:21 AM
Post #243
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

QUOTE(TheSnake @ Feb 27 2024, 05:09 PM) *
Do the songs have to be in German - if not hoping to see Opus - Live Is Life on the playlist.

I don't know many other schlager songs - Modern Talking - Cheri Cheri Lady maybe?

Also maybe that Gompie - Alice song you mentioned recently on the 90s thread.

EDIT: Just remembered Nicole - A Little Peace.

Nope, they don't have to be. Germany, Sweden and The Netherlands are the countries most represented although there are a few from other countries too.

All four of the acts you mentioned I can confirm do appear.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: 28th February 2024, 10:21 AM

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th February 2024, 11:41 AM
Post #244
Group icon
Hello?

We are happy to reveal our Schlager compilation. Let's start with the Wikipedia definition, as it's not so easy to pinpoint exactly what falls into this category:

Schlager is a style of European popular music generally defined by catchy instrumental accompaniments to vocal pieces of pop music with simple, easygoing, and often sentimental lyrics.

Schlager tracks are typically light pop tunes or sweet, sentimental ballads with simple, catchy melodies. Their lyrics typically centre on love, relationships, and feelings. The northern variant of schlager has taken elements from Finnic, Nordic, Slavic, and Eastern European folk songs, with lyrics tending toward melancholic and elegiac themes. Musically, schlager bears similarities to styles such as easy listening.

The style has been frequently represented at the Eurovision Song Contest and has been popular since the contest began in 1956, though it is gradually being replaced by other pop music styles.

Disc 1 kicks off with arguably the blueprint for modern schlager, the almighty Atemlos durch die Nacht (translates as breathlessly through the night) by Helene Fischer, German superstar and one of the world's highest earning female performers. This leads into the biggest selling song of the 00s in Germany, Ein Stern by DJ Ötzi and Nik P. Sadly that means we have to leave off his UK No.1 schlager cover Hey Baby, as we have stuck to one song per lead artist. The mostly German opening disc continues with the recent huge party schlager German No.1 Layla, showing a different side to the genre (Ballermann, which is popular every year with Germans holidaying in Mallorca). More dance and pop hits follow, featuring leading schlager stars like Kerstin Ott, Maite Kelly, Andrea Berg, Beatrice Egli, Vanessa Mai and the big 90s No.1 from Matthias Reim. The disc moves onto the 80s with the big UK hit from Modern Talking, Brother Louie, and more mid-tempo classics like Cora's Amsterdam, there's also a song for our own JulianT here, from Mandy Winter. The disc rounds off with a trio of turn of the century schlager Eurovision entries from Germany, from the legendary Michelle, plus Corinna May and Lou.

Disc 2 is our Swedish disc, with a load of brilliant Swedish schlager sourced mainly from the brilliant Melodifestivalen, the competition that chooses the nation's Eurovision entry but has also been responsible for so many other classic hits besides. Of course, it has to start off with ABBA's Waterloo, the winner from 1974, in its original Swedish version. Another Eurovision winner from Charlotte Nilsson follows, and then for Carola we plump not for her winner but the brilliant Främling, which heads up an 80s section also consisting of great tracks from Lena Philipsson, Pernilla Wahlgren, Anna Book, Kikki Danielsson and Herreys (another Eurovision winner), as well as a great early 90s sneak from Sofia Kallgren. Barbados feature with their biggest hit, rather than one of their Melodifestivalen entries, but we soon return to the 00s with Melodifestivalen winners from Friends and Fame, plus classics from Nanne, Alcazar and some of the more modern offerings from Sanna Nielsen, Jenny Silver (later covered by Steps), Jessica Andersson, Lina Hedlund, and the current Melodifestivalen entry from Elisa Lindström.

Disc 3 starts with a look at the folk influenced side of schlager, with the excellent Kom from Timoteij and is followed by the song that it was clearly influenced by from Sarek. Another song Steps covered is Story of a Heart from Benny Andersson Band, who follows namesake Hasse Andersson and precedes One More Time, a band that features Benny's son, and who had a mega European 90s hit with Highland. A few of the schlager ballads follow, starting with a huge 90s hit from Cecilia Vennersten, and then followed by the main song from the scuccessful movie Livet är en Schlager (check it out on Netflix, it's great) from Helen Sjöholm. Other ballad classics come from Sarah Dawn Finer and Jill Johnson before the disc heads back in time with 50s and 60s offerings from Towa Carson and Siw Malmkvist. Sadly, their collaboration with Ann-Louise Hanson, C'est La Vie, is not on Spotify so couldn't be included. We then go back to Germany with classic Eurovision entries from Katja Ebstein and of course the winner from Nicole, a UK No.1 in its English version, before we play spot the cover/sample with Peter Maffay (sampled by Scooter) and Marianne Rosenberg (this was sampled by an act called Blue Adonis in 1998 and used as the theme to ITV's Record of the Year show). Many other German legends are on this disc, including The Kelly Family, with David's Song, which was sampled by DJ Sakin & Friends for their UK top 20 hit Nomansland in 1999. We finish with a schlager Christmas song from the 80s, very popular in Germany, about kids in a Christmas bakery.

Disc 4 features everything that didn't easily fit on the others, and kicks off with Austrian band Opus, who's Live Is Life was a UK top ten hit in the 80s. The intro was directly sampled by Hermes House Band, so their UK top 10 hit from 2001, Country Roads, follows. Other Dutch acts follow, including Gompie's take on Who The X Is Alice - a bigger hit here for Smokie and Roy 'Chubby' Brown at the same time in 1995, and the top five 2000 hit from Vengaboys, the closest they ever came to schlager with a Bavarian influenced sound and music video. Girlband K3's excellent 10,000 Luchtballonnen then leads into some of the 80s songs, including the theme tune to cartoon Alfred J. Kwak (shown on Channel 4 here in the early 90s) from Herman van Veen, and the lovely Eleni by Tol & Tol. British schlager isn't massively a thing but the closest we have is Steps, Scooch and Tight Fit's ABBA-esque Fantasy Island, so they all feature, as does the UK No.1 from Goombay Dance Band, and Eurovision winners from Norway's Bobbysocks and Denmark's Olsen Brothers, Icelandic entries from Birgitta, Selma and Hera Björk, and a modern schlager masterpiece from Erika Vikman from Finland. A trio of fun/novelty schlager songs round off the compilation, firstly Jaja Ding Dong from the Eurovision movie, then Love Love Peace Peace, the interval from Eurovision 2016 from Måns and Petra, and finally a 2007 schlager parody from Markoolio and Linda Bengtzing.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: 29th February 2024, 11:46 AM

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 29th February 2024, 12:18 PM
Post #245
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

Some intriguing picks that I didnt know would belong to that genre!

+Quote this post
Cow P
post 29th February 2024, 12:53 PM
Post #246
Group icon
Cowcow no Frieren
User: 127,479

Dschinghis Khan was a great shout there and I honestly expected them to appear here! I wasn't familiar with their self-titled song, which was apparently their Eurovision entry, Instead, hardstyle community did actually know their song 'Moskau', which got reworked by Da Tweekaz in 2020.

Dat Country Roads cover is ikonek af, though John Denver's is million times better. Didn't realize Jake Reese / Jaap Reesema was a member of that band!

I knew Shalala Lala from my parents. Not expecting that at all. laugh.gif Shame that the original from a Danish duo didn't get much recognitions. sad.gif

The Kelly Family might get a lil bit of hate here, but good to see Who'll Come With Me (David's Song) a.k.a. the original song that DJ Sakin & Friends interpolated for Nomansland, also getting a shoutout here.

This post has been edited by Cow P: 29th February 2024, 12:55 PM

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th February 2024, 01:33 PM
Post #247
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Roba. @ Feb 29 2024, 12:18 PM) *
Some intriguing picks that I didnt know would belong to that genre!

Yeah it's kind of a loose genre that's hard to define, I had to go by feeling on some of them laugh.gif

QUOTE(Cow P @ Feb 29 2024, 12:53 PM) *
Dschinghis Khan was a great shout there and I honestly expected them to appear here! I wasn't familiar with their self-titled song, which was apparently their Eurovision entry, Instead, hardstyle community did actually know their song 'Moskau', which got reworked by Da Tweekaz in 2020.

Dat Country Roads cover is ikonek af, though John Denver's is million times better. Didn't realize Jake Reese / Jaap Reesema was a member of that band!

I knew Shalala Lala from my parents. Not expecting that at all. laugh.gif Shame that the original from a Danish duo didn't get much recognitions. sad.gif

The Kelly Family might get a lil bit of hate here, but good to see Who'll Come With Me (David's Song) a.k.a. the original song that DJ Sakin & Friends interpolated for Nomansland, also getting a shoutout here.

Yes Dschinghis Khan seemed an obvious inclusion, albeit felt a bit like a Boney M tribute act. Moskau seems just as well known globally, if not more so.

I always forget that Shalala Lala was a cover, that's much more 70s pop style, Vengaboys definitely added some schlager sounds to it laugh.gif

Aww, I love The Kelly Family, they are so cheesy and maybe a bit twee (as you might expect a huge family band that drives around in a bus, and doesn't follow mainstream fashions to be) but a lot of their songs are lovely. And even though their only UK hit, An Angel, didn't peak very high here (No.69), they deserved to be included as they were so huge in Germany/Austria/Switzerland and The Netherlands. Plus, so many of their individual members have had notable careers, Maite Kelly here as she is pure schlager, with Patricia more pop and Paddy (or Michael Patrick Kelly), more indie/rock/pop, and actually achieving some chart hits still in Germany.

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 29th February 2024, 01:56 PM
Post #248
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

Rich, fantastic work. Very good tracklist. Possibly it will be my favourite Buzzjack compilation from them all.
It's almost impossible to beat it in 4 CD format, with one song per act restriction even I will have problems for compiling Lithuanian compilation, which will be better.

My fresh schlager discovery

Charlien - #Liebe

This post has been edited by Last Dreamer: 29th February 2024, 02:04 PM

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th February 2024, 04:18 PM
Post #249
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Last Dreamer @ Feb 29 2024, 01:56 PM) *
Rich, fantastic work. Very good tracklist. Possibly it will be my favourite Buzzjack compilation from them all.
It's almost impossible to beat it in 4 CD format, with one song per act restriction even I will have problems for compiling Lithuanian compilation, which will be better.

My fresh schlager discovery

Charlien - #Liebe

Thank you. I will be interested to see your Lithuanian album when it's ready.

Thanks for sharing this song too, it's a good one. Each year I buy an album called Schlager - Die Hits Des Jahres, and I think it's the type of song that would be on this CD.

+Quote this post
Jester
post 29th February 2024, 08:36 PM
Post #250
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12

Coming soon

+Quote this post
Colm
post 29th February 2024, 08:51 PM
Post #251
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Feb 29 2024, 11:41 AM) *
Disc 1 kicks off with arguably the blueprint for modern schlager, the almighty Atemlos durch die Nacht (translates as breathlessly through the night) by Helene Fischer, German superstar and one of the world's highest earning female performers. This leads into the biggest selling song of the 00s in Germany, Ein Stern by DJ Ötzi and Nik P. Sadly that means we have to leave off his UK No.1 schlager cover Hey Baby, as we have stuck to one song per lead artist. The mostly German opening disc continues with the recent huge party schlager German No.1 Layla, showing a different side to the genre (Ballermann, which is popular every year with Germans holidaying in Mallorca). More dance and pop hits follow, featuring leading schlager stars like Kerstin Ott, Maite Kelly, Andrea Berg, Beatrice Egli, Vanessa Mai and the big 90s No.1 from Matthias Reim. The disc moves onto the 80s with the big UK hit from Modern Talking, Brother Louie, and more mid-tempo classics like Cora's Amsterdam, there's also a song for our own JulianT here, from Mandy Winter. The disc rounds off with a trio of turn of the century schlager Eurovision entries from Germany, from the legendary Michelle, plus Corinna May and Lou.

Brilliant work, gd. I am really enjoying this listening to this. I hadn't really known much about this genre before this week so this really strengthens my knowledge and being a Eurovision fan I really should know about this sort of stuff. Lots of gems to be discovered and right as the peak of Eurovision national selection season is upon us!

+Quote this post
Colm
post 29th February 2024, 08:52 PM
Post #252
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

QUOTE(Last Dreamer @ Feb 29 2024, 01:56 PM) *

Were there many that you hadn't known about, Last Dreamer?

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th February 2024, 09:11 PM
Post #253
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Colm @ Feb 29 2024, 08:51 PM) *
Brilliant work, gd. I am really enjoying this listening to this. I hadn't really known much about this genre before this week so this really strengthens my knowledge and being a Eurovision fan I really should know about this sort of stuff. Lots of gems to be discovered and right as the peak of Eurovision national selection season is upon us!

Thanks Colm, Eurovision was certainly the best source for most of the good Swedish schalger. Germany tends to have a much bigger industry outside of Eurovision, as displayed on this album. Swede's do listen to a lot of Dansband, which is similar but not quite the same (more rock and roll influenced, like Lasse Stefanz).

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 29th February 2024, 09:46 PM
Post #254
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

QUOTE(Colm @ Feb 29 2024, 11:52 PM) *
Were there many that you hadn't known about, Last Dreamer?

On the first looking I think that heard only 80%.
Swedish choices looks like almost all Melodifestivalen classic tracks in one place.

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 29th February 2024, 09:50 PM
Post #255
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Feb 29 2024, 07:18 PM) *
Thank you. I will be interested to see your Lithuanian album when it's ready.

Thanks for sharing this song too, it's a good one. Each year I buy an album called Schlager - Die Hits Des Jahres, and I think it's the type of song that would be on this CD.

For Lithuania I will do two CD compilations with 40-50 tracks in summary.
Need to check a tracklists of mentioned yearly German Schlager albums.

+Quote this post
Colm
post 29th February 2024, 09:54 PM
Post #256
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

Sorry - I misread your post.

This post has been edited by Colm: 29th February 2024, 10:05 PM

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th February 2024, 10:00 PM
Post #257
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Last Dreamer @ Feb 29 2024, 09:46 PM) *
On the first looking I think that heard only 80%.
Swedish choices looks like almost all Melodifestivalen classic tracks in one place.

Correct, apart from a few not from there - Barbados, Benny Andersson Band, One More Time and Helen Sjöholm. Barbados and One More Time did compete with other songs though.

QUOTE(Last Dreamer @ Feb 29 2024, 09:50 PM) *
Need to check a tracklists of mentioned yearly German Schlager albums.

Here are the last three editions:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/a...s/hnum/11604795
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/a...s/hnum/11034665
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/a...s/hnum/10722724

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 2nd March 2024, 02:24 PM
Post #258
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

QUOTE(Last Dreamer @ Mar 1 2024, 12:50 AM) *
For Lithuania I will do two CD compilations with 40-50 tracks in summary.

I started new thread for personal compilations.

www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=269761

The first one belong to my favourite Lithuanian pop. 20 tracks is a standard format for "Gražios Dainos" compilations, but I can do the second part for Lithuania later.
Enjoy it, also all ideas for the next compilations are welcome.

This post has been edited by Last Dreamer: 2nd March 2024, 06:28 PM

+Quote this post
Jester
post 9th March 2024, 06:09 PM
Post #259
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12

Colm & I are very proud to release the 3 disc Britpop+ collection. Enjoy!

+Quote this post
Colm
post 9th March 2024, 07:24 PM
Post #260
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

This is Britpop+.

The plus part is important.
We felt that it would be remiss to exclude some huge bands that weren't strictly Britpop but were appealing to the same audience and really were expanding and adding to the Great British canon at the time. Bands like Radiohead, Manic Street Preachers, The Verve and Teenage Fanclub.

Let's get to the music.
Anyone born in the late '70s or early '80s on this wet little collection of islands in the North Atlantic really were fortunate. Being a teenager into popular music in the 1990s was a blessing. While there was some amazing music being made around here in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s, it didn't seem to inspire any sort of excitement. Yes, we'd had the Smiths and The Stone Roses who were idolised by indie kids but that adulation never reached a critical mass or spilled into the mainstream. After all the mopiness and self-pity of grunge and the almost anti-pop nature of shoegaze, there was a discontentedness burgeoning among some new bands who actually wanted to be pop stars; who wanted to be seen and recognised and who wanted to make brilliant, British focused guitar pop music.

It's often disputed about whether Britpop started with Blur's Popscene or Suede's The Drowners - released within 6 weeks of each other in 1992. Either way, it was the start of something special. The press were more in love with Suede at the time but by the time 1993 came around, Blur were getting attention for their characterful, terribly English brand of music.

These bands seemed to enjoy being famous, and were quite fond of the quotable exclamation. We, as fans of British guitar pop, were enthralled.
This was no flash-in-the-pan either. Suede and Blur were evolving at a frightening speed and were soon joined by Pulp and Oasis - both with very quick-witted members who the press loved to interview. There were public fall-outs, spats, sneers, stolen girlfriends and derision all around. There were clear rivals - Blur hated Suede. Oasis hated Blur. Everyone hated Menswear.

Soon everywhere, kids were picking up guitars and making songs. Some were great and some were Cast. This went on for three indisputably glorious years. Artistically speaking, it peaked in 1994 when Suede, Blur, Oasis and Manic Street Preachers made their big statement albums.
Commercially, it didn't peak until 1995/1996 when Oasis would sell a-million-and-a-half copies of (What's the Story) Morning Glory two years in a row. They also played to a quarter of a million people at Knebworth one weekend in August 1996.

The whole thing is now, often looked on very disparagingly as a sort of laddish, lager-spilt mess. This dismisses the indelible mark left on British pop music that we still hear today. There were plenty of distinctly non-laddish bands too - Suede, Pulp, Mansun and the Manics were all given to foppishness and make-up, respectively.

Here, we welcome you to explore some of the iconic hits of the era but also to bands you may never have even heard of. We may have left off your favourite Britpop anthem but we're not sorry for that and judge you for your unevolved taste. music.gif

+Quote this post

16 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 19th May 2024, 04:05 PM