BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Spice Girls • Rarities and Demos Lists, What we have and what we know exists
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
isanka
post 4th June 2021, 11:14 AM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 88,486

I made this page for Melanie C - But only with the leaked one.
http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=226451

This post has been edited by isanka: 4th June 2021, 11:15 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 11th July 2022, 09:21 AM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

Updated with the following information:

Dingeling - demo from Spiceworld

Girlfriend/Boyfriend - I am including this one as when pictures of Mel C's storage unit were leaked last year, it turns out that there was a cassette of this track on it!

ALSO, this website lists the following from the Greatest Hits era. Do we know anything about these? It is the first time I am reading about these titles:

Get Out Of Your Head
Saturday
Thank You

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 11th July 2022, 09:50 AM
Post #43
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

All five of those sound better than the majority of their rnb album by pop singers who aren't rnb singers.

+Quote this post
Sideout
post 11th July 2022, 08:52 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 113,700

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Jul 11 2022, 02:21 AM) *
Updated with the following information:

Dingeling - demo from Spiceworld

Girlfriend/Boyfriend - I am including this one as when pictures of Mel C's storage unit were leaked last year, it turns out that there was a cassette of this track on it!

ALSO, this website lists the following from the Greatest Hits era. Do we know anything about these? It is the first time I am reading about these titles:

Get Out Of Your Head
Saturday
Thank You

Saturday was registered on ASCAP before 2007. It's not a GH song. More than likely it's the original title for Saturday Night Divas.

Get Out Of Your Head and Thank You are 2007 Spice Girls songs that were listed on Phil Tyreman's website. He is a music engineer. His official website is no longer active. Here are some screenshots of his website on the way back machine.

The songs are listed on the first link

http://web.archive.org/web/20160127102121/...om/credits.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20080421072042/...r_Engineer.html

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 11th July 2022, 10:03 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Sideout @ Jul 11 2022, 08:52 PM) *
Saturday was registered on ASCAP before 2007. It's not a GH song. More than likely it's the original title for Saturday Night Divas.

Get Out Of Your Head and Thank You are 2007 Spice Girls songs that were listed on Phil Tyreman's website. He is a music engineer. His official website is no longer active. Here are some screenshots of his website on the way back machine.

The songs are listed on the first link

http://web.archive.org/web/20160127102121/...om/credits.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20080421072042/...r_Engineer.html

Thank you! That is pretty interesting. If I time one day (lol) I will try to update the list with the credits and listings info on each track.

If Saturday was registered on ASCAP, do we know the names of the writers, producers, etc? Then we could know if it is the same song as SND. I would hope not!

Never had heard of it, Thank You and GOOYH. Some interesting titles for sure. I guess the Thank You goes in line with the rumours of there being a long track where the girls are thanking their fans. Could be that?...

Id love to know more. Maybe we could contact Phil Tyreman to ask some qs about the tracks? Do we know a way to get in touch?

+Quote this post
Sideout
post 12th July 2022, 01:37 AM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Jul 11 2022, 03:03 PM) *
Thank you! That is pretty interesting. If I time one day (lol) I will try to update the list with the credits and listings info on each track.

If Saturday was registered on ASCAP, do we know the names of the writers, producers, etc? Then we could know if it is the same song as SND. I would hope not!

Never had heard of it, Thank You and GOOYH. Some interesting titles for sure. I guess the Thank You goes in line with the rumours of there being a long track where the girls are thanking their fans. Could be that?...

Id love to know more. Maybe we could contact Phil Tyreman to ask some qs about the tracks? Do we know a way to get in touch?

Saturday has the same writers as Saturday Night Divas. Biff and Matt Rowe.

I couldn't find any social media for Phil Tryeman. Would be great if he was able to provide us with some information on the tracks.

+Quote this post
Piers
post 16th July 2022, 01:42 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

Interesting to hear about Get Out Of Your Head and Thank You. With those two tracks, that would mean the girls had at least six new songs they were toying with for the Greatest Hits. Then, beyond that...we know George Michael was working on that Christmas track that didn't meet the deadline (eventually released on his own)...and Neyo was asked to participate in creating some new music (scheduling conflict prevented it). Biff claimed in the David Sinclair book that he had about five old demos he wanted to give to an eventual Greatest Hits project. It makes you wonder how big their team was aiming to make the Greatest Hits project at one time...and how it all got scaled back to just Headlines and Voodoo.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 16th July 2022, 01:51 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

Seriously headlines and voodoo was such a disappointment. I like headlines it’s nice but that’s it nice and definitely NOT comeback single material!

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 16th July 2022, 02:51 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

I never really looked on Headlines as a comeback single more a new song to promote the Greatest Hits.

They didn’t push it at all as a single in its own right.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 17th July 2022, 12:04 AM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Piers @ Jul 16 2022, 01:42 PM) *
Interesting to hear about Get Out Of Your Head and Thank You. With those two tracks, that would mean the girls had at least six new songs they were toying with for the Greatest Hits. Then, beyond that...we know George Michael was working on that Christmas track that didn't meet the deadline (eventually released on his own)...and Neyo was asked to participate in creating some new music (scheduling conflict prevented it). Biff claimed in the David Sinclair book that he had about five old demos he wanted to give to an eventual Greatest Hits project. It makes you wonder how big their team was aiming to make the Greatest Hits project at one time...and how it all got scaled back to just Headlines and Voodoo.

I imagine they were trying different songs with the same old producers from their hey day and somehow they thought that Headlines and Voodoo were the best ones to release?... Im not sure they ever planned more than the GH tracks at the time, but they did at least experiment a bit in the studio.

It's sad how awful the whole campaign was for Headlines though. The crap video (seriously, no budget, terrible concept and editing) and the mimed TV performances were a bit lame. No wonder it didnt do well at all.

They got to learn to promote though. They're so crap at it nowadays, whereas they were pretty much the blueprint of how to promote back in the 90s.

+Quote this post
Piers
post 17th July 2022, 04:20 AM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Jul 16 2022, 07:04 PM) *
I imagine they were trying different songs with the same old producers from their hey day and somehow they thought that Headlines and Voodoo were the best ones to release?... Im not sure they ever planned more than the GH tracks at the time, but they did at least experiment a bit in the studio.

It's sad how awful the whole campaign was for Headlines though. The crap video (seriously, no budget, terrible concept and editing) and the mimed TV performances were a bit lame. No wonder it didnt do well at all.

They got to learn to promote though. They're so crap at it nowadays, whereas they were pretty much the blueprint of how to promote back in the 90s.

I guess we'll never know...but I'm not sure they were necessarily looking for the "best" songs. Here's what I mean. Since they invited Neyo to take part, I think there's an indication they were open to furthering their sound at one time in the creative process. Mel C has also said she liked some of these other songs they recorded...whereas she didn't like Voodoo. My guess is what they ended up picking wasn't necessarily the best, but rather a conscious decision to pick what best recaptured the old sound.

But yeah. I definitely agree on the Headlines video. It's such a dud creatively. Considering they got Jamie King as their tour director to make their show the best of the best...their team really should have shown that same level of quality control to the video. Had the video been this big, beautiful thing like Goodbye's...I actually think the song itself would be better regarded today. My memory is the video shoot and the video release weren't far apart, so I guess there just wasn't the production time to make something grand.

A last thought on Headlines. Looking back on it nearly 15 years later, I've never stopped liking the song...but I do think there's something of a lyrical missed opportunity. I think the concept of a big love song from the perspective of hugely famous people is actually fairly clever. Like...I love you enough to take you on this tabloid journey with me. But beyond the first three lines of the chorus...the rest of the song isn't really about that. More a standard love song.

This post has been edited by Piers: 17th July 2022, 04:23 AM

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 17th July 2022, 09:59 AM
Post #52
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Headlines is really nice, but the video is the absolute PITS and has norhing ro do with the song. I agree with the lyrics change to it being abour a famous romance, but even then it screams 5th single...

I wonder if they should have released December Song instesd foe the GH if they wanted a ballad, and waited for GM. If not, they should have gone for the Wannabe/ The Race Is On (To Get Our Of The Bottom) sound. It would have done much better and set them up for a Take That-style experimentation with a THIRD STUDIO ALBUM!!

In fact, why didn't they get rid of the rnb production of WOMAN, that had steipped it of its life, and got the Wannabe producers ro liven it up again, tweak the lyrics, and go for THAT?! It would have been a moment, especially with a Spice Up Ya Life style video. Might have even reached no.1?!

Thank You also sounds like an interesting big ballad...

Thwy should have been MUCH braver. Spicws were NEEEVER known for being tepid and timid, ao coming back so nervous and tame did not work. Fortune favours the boldA

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 18th July 2022, 09:42 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Piers @ Jul 17 2022, 04:20 AM) *
I guess we'll never know...but I'm not sure they were necessarily looking for the "best" songs. Here's what I mean. Since they invited Neyo to take part, I think there's an indication they were open to furthering their sound at one time in the creative process. Mel C has also said she liked some of these other songs they recorded...whereas she didn't like Voodoo. My guess is what they ended up picking wasn't necessarily the best, but rather a conscious decision to pick what best recaptured the old sound.

But yeah. I definitely agree on the Headlines video. It's such a dud creatively. Considering they got Jamie King as their tour director to make their show the best of the best...their team really should have shown that same level of quality control to the video. Had the video been this big, beautiful thing like Goodbye's...I actually think the song itself would be better regarded today. My memory is the video shoot and the video release weren't far apart, so I guess there just wasn't the production time to make something grand.

A last thought on Headlines. Looking back on it nearly 15 years later, I've never stopped liking the song...but I do think there's something of a lyrical missed opportunity. I think the concept of a big love song from the perspective of hugely famous people is actually fairly clever. Like...I love you enough to take you on this tabloid journey with me. But beyond the first three lines of the chorus...the rest of the song isn't really about that. More a standard love song.

Oh for sure they went with the songs that were more akin to their original sound, which is a shame. I always wanted to hear their take on that Christmas song by George Michael. It would have been quite interesting for their own sound and have more of a build than what GM released.

I guess Headlines was a total missfire in many ways. The song itselft starts strong with a lovely verse by Emma, but as soon as that ends, it becomes a sloppy love ballad. When I first heard it I thought they were going to home in on that 'headlines'/reminiscing vibe and Emma's opening verse does sort of indicate that to be the case. But then the song really does just go into standard ballad territory which is a shame.

I also remember thinking that a video of them TOGETHER walking through a house with loads of memories from their past would have been nice. But alas.... we got whatever that video is lol

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 19th July 2022, 06:45 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

So disappointing sad.gif

They really should have done WOMAN.

+Quote this post
michael319
post 19th July 2022, 06:57 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 106,377

The fact they had a song called spice is back and didn’t use it. Like wtf. Do we know what it sounds like.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 19th July 2022, 07:04 PM
Post #56
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(michael319 @ Jul 19 2022, 06:57 PM) *
The fact they had a song called spice is back and didn’t use it. Like wtf. Do we know what it sounds like.

Isn't that just Right Back At Ya?

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 19th July 2022, 07:06 PM
Post #57
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

But if it exists!!

Imagine a doo oop album like this:

1. Spice Is Back - heavily promoted in USA
2. W.O.M.A.N
3. Pain Proof
4. Something else, maybe Thank You??

Or just those three! Move Thank You to Forever, and advertise it as their final single after the most iconic double A Seed ever snd IFYWT(HSF)(SOYM)! They could have released Girlfriend/Boyfriend as the 4th single, oe if it was rnb, put it on Forever.

They really let down their legacy, as the biggest girl band OF S
ALL TIME ... well, after the Andrews Sisters.

+Quote this post
Sideout
post 19th July 2022, 09:48 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(michael319 @ Jul 19 2022, 11:57 AM) *

Melanie C said in a fan interview Spice Is Back is in the same vein as Wannabe and Spice Up Your Life.

Melanie talks about two of the unreleased greatest hits tracks at the 9:15 mark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BIpiKcJ_S4k&t=470s

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 19th July 2022, 10:35 PM
Post #59
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

WAT!!! EHY DIDN'T THEY RELEASE THAT

GOD SAKE HOW THEY ANNOY ME

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 20th July 2022, 08:42 AM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(Sideout @ Jul 19 2022, 09:48 PM) *
Melanie C said in a fan interview Spice Is Back is in the same vein as Wannabe and Spice Up Your Life.

Melanie talks about two of the unreleased greatest hits tracks at the 9:15 mark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BIpiKcJ_S4k&t=470s

Always hated that interview! She agreed to do a interview asking some fab questions and every single one was about spice girls nothing to do with her solo work, after knowing how frustrating it can be to answer spice girls questions non-stop I thought fans would have chosen some more variation, or they would have chosen a variation if it was down to those two.

Also she couldn’t remember anything lol, I do wonder if she couldn’t or just couldn’t be arsed after that, at one point she even says “is it another spice girls question” lol.

+Quote this post

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

2 user(s) reading this thread
+ 2 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 12:45 PM