BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> SPOILER FREE: S Club: The Good Times Tour, October 2023: UK & Ireland / February 2024: USA & Canada
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Slayer
post 9th November 2023, 12:52 PM
Post #241
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 120,499

This post has been edited by Slayer: 9th November 2023, 12:53 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 10th November 2023, 01:35 PM
Post #242
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Nov 3 2023, 06:11 PM) *

My photo finally arrived!!!! cheer.gif (after I chased the VIP company lol)

Shame there's been a kerfuffle with the US dates but I'm glad the fans will still get to see them.

So pleased you finally got your picture!

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 10th November 2023, 03:00 PM
Post #243
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 18th December 2023, 08:48 PM
Post #244
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Interview with Rolling Stone ahead of the US leg of the tour!

S Club Recall ‘Delirious’ Hollywood Days and Tease U.S. Reunion Tour: ‘It’s a Tribute to Paul’ with Rolling Stone

ONE OF THE most popular British pop groups of all time are coming back to America with a new reunion tour, new music and a newfound perspective on their more-than two decades of success.

S Club (formerly known as S Club 7) bring their “Good Times Tour” to North America this winter, kicking off February 16 in Toronto before making their way to Boston, New York, Chicago and Los Angeles (find tickets on Ticketmaster or sites like VividSeats.com).

Now using the moniker “S Club,” following the sudden passing of original member Paul Cattermole in April and Hannah Spearritt’s departure from the group, Tina Barrett, Jon Lee, Bradley McIntosh, Jo O’Meara and Rachel Stevens say their “Good Times Tour” is meant to pay tribute to the group’s enduring legion of fans, while also paying tribute to Cattermole’s memory.

The new tour also helps to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the group, which was formed in 1998 in the UK and crossed over to the U.S. with their hit TV shows, S Club Miami 7 and S Club 7 in L.A. (which aired on Fox Family and Nickelodeon) and songs like “Never Heard a Dream Come True” (which reached No. 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart). Following a string of sold-out arena dates back home and the release of a new single titled “These Are the Days,” the five members of S Club head to North America for their first-ever stateside tour — the first time the group has been in the U.S. in more than a decade.

Rolling Stone caught up with Barrett, Mcintosh, O’Meara and Stevens (Lee was unavailable on the day) to chat about reuniting for the new tour, favorite memories of filming their TV show in America, and why the “S Club Party” isn’t stopping anytime soon.

You all just finished the UK run of your “Good Times” reunion tour. What was it like being back together again?

Stevens: It’s just been incredible. You know, we were celebrating 25 years, and the love from our fans has been so amazing. We’ve had so many people coming from all over the world, and it’s just been such a celebration of nostalgia for all of us.

Barrett: I think we appreciate it more — I know I definitely do. Because when you’re young, it’s all very manic and you’re in this sort of bubble and you don’t think about it too much. Whereas now, we can actually appreciate it — and each other — for how amazing this is.

Mcintosh: I’d say personally, this has been my most favorite tour out of all the tours we’ve done. Obviously we miss Paul and Hannah, but everything about this tour, from the visuals to the choreography to the styling is incredible.

S Club reunited in 2015 for the “Bring It All Back” tour. Whose idea was it to come back together this time around?

Mcintosh: I believe it was Simon Fuller, our manager. He emailed us around the end of 2020 and just said, ‘Hey guys, your 25th anniversary is approaching? How do you fancy doing a 25-year anniversary tour?’ And no one was in doubt. Everybody was just like, ‘Yes! Absolutely!’

Had you all kept in touch over the years?

O’Meara: We have always kept in touch, but often like passing ships in the night. I think there’s something about all of us that we’re always going to be connected in one way or another, but the second that we were all back together in the room, it was like no time had passed. We just automatically clicked straight back into that dynamic that we’ve always had, which is something really special. And yeah, it’s always very loud. And a lot of fun.

Stevens: It’s been really special coming back together. As you know, a lot of us have got kids now, and it’s been really lovely coming back and sort of getting to know each other again, but as grownups and in different stages of our lives.

You’re officially touring the U.S. for the first time, but you spent many years here filming your TV shows and doing promotional spots. What do you remember about being here?

Stevens: I mean, we probably spent more time in America than we did in the UK, starting off in Miami, and then filming two series in LA. We were up at the crack of dawn, we’d finish as the sun was going down, and we’d sometimes do night shoots too. I just remember how delirious we all were when it got so late and we’d just start laughing and having so much fun.

O’Meara: Me and Rachel did a lot of shopping.

Stevens: We did a lot of shopping. The shopping was good in L.A.

Mcintosh: Where did you guys do your shopping the most? I was in the Beverly Center quite a lot.

Stevens: I loved The Grove. The Grove was like my happy place.

Barrett: I remember we went to Gucci on Rodeo Drive, and we spent an absolute fortune. I was like, ‘Let’s just buy something really, really expensive and then don’t panic.’

What did you buy?

I got a pair of boots that were like, ridiculously expensive. I think they were like, two-grand back then or something.. whoops. But they looked great. I still have them by the way.

Bradley, I heard you love American food?

Mcintosh: I’m just a foodie in general. But I’m definitely hitting Roscoe’s [Chicken & Waffles], that’s for sure. I hope it’s still as good as it used to be. I was dating a girl back then, and she took me to Roscoe’s one day and it was mind blowing. What else did I like? Carl’s Jr. They had this sourdough burger with Swiss cheese and I loved that [laughs]. I’m scared to go back [to America]. I’ve lost all this weight and I’m scared I’m gonna come back a stone heavier.

All four of you have kids now. What do they think of seeing ‘mommy’ and ‘daddy’ up on stage?

Stevens: We actually had our kids join one of the London shows, which was so special. You know, all our kids are kind of in the same [age] range and they all came on stage with us. I think they had a great time and were excited to be a part of it.

A lot of fans grew up listening to S Club 7 as kids — what do your kids listen to these days?

O’Meara: My son actually really shocks me. He’s got really unusual musical tastes. He listens to really old-school singers.

Mcintosh: I can imagine that.

Barrett: He’s like you — an old soul.

O’Meara: Yeah, he’s an old soul. He’ll listen to jazz, he loves Amy Winehouse, he’ll be listening to Frank Sinatra, but then he really loves the rapper, Dave.

Your reunion tour sold out in the UK and tickets are moving quickly for the North American dates. Why do you think people are still connecting with S Club so much?

Stevens: There are so many incredible pop artists out there, but I think what did separate us from everyone was our music — it was so positive and all about lifting each other up. What was so special about meeting all of our fans this time around, is that they were kids and now they’re all grown up. And they tell us that we helped them through some really hard times in their lives; we were such a positive outlet. And I think we are all about kindness and love and fun and energy and positivity. And that’s quite rare.

O’Meara: That’s the thing — there aren’t a lot of bands that sort of do that anymore. Maybe like —

Barrett: I think maybe like Harry Styles and Taylor Swift? I think they are quite positive people. I also really wanted to get Taylor Swift tickets but because we literally were also touring, we didn’t get a chance’

Ahead of your North American dates, what can fans expect from the show and what do you hope they take away from it?

Barrett: It really takes you on a journey. We’ve got the fun and energy and sort of like a club concept, but then quite a bit of the show is for Paul as well. It’s a a tribute to Paul. So it’s a real journey. And it’s so special.

(In an email, Lee adds, “Paul was and will always be part of S Club – he was so funny, crazy, loving and a great friend- and that spirit pretty much sums up the vibe of the tour. It’s what S Club is all about.”)

O’Meara: I think the main thing we would love for people to take away from this show is that feeling of escapism. So many fans come up to us and say, ‘You helped me through a really tough time, or ‘You helped me come out,’ and so it will be really lovely for them to walk out and get that warm sense of belonging.

Mcintosh: It’s incredible that our fans were really young when we first came out. And now that they brought their kids along, I got a few comments and messages from people saying, ‘It was so nice to bring my daughter along or my son along, and now they’re big fans of your music.’ So you know, we’re reaching out to a new generation.

O’Meara: We’re excited. To have the opportunity to actually tour one of the biggest places in the world is incredible. I think every English band’s dream is to go and tour America. So the fact that we get to do it 25 years later, is quite unbelievable.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 18th December 2023, 11:08 PM
Post #245
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Nov 3 2023, 06:11 PM) *

I love love love this photo wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 23rd December 2023, 08:30 PM
Post #246
Group icon

Oh this is cool! Wish it were being released widely on all platforms but still.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 25th December 2023, 11:43 AM
Post #247
Group icon

It's up!! Merry Christmas all biggrin.gif https://www.simonellismusic.com/sclub

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 21st January 2024, 08:13 PM
Post #248
Group icon

Jon has revealed on the GossipGay Podcast podcast that the US/Canada leg of the tour was postponed from last year because his visa didn't arrive in time!

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 22nd January 2024, 01:18 PM
Post #249
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Love seeing Jon do more stuff! He's becoming my fave member!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 25th January 2024, 07:36 PM
Post #250
Group icon

Interview with People ahead of the US tour!

The calling card of S Club — originally featuring O'Meara, Tina Barrett, Paul Cattermole, Jon Lee, Bradley McIntosh, Hannah Spearritt and Rachel Stevens — was their feel-good, empowerment anthems. They exploded in the UK, earning a string of No. 1 singles including “Bring It All Back,” “Never Had a Dream Come True,” “Don’t Stop Movin” and “Have You Ever.” In five years, they recorded four albums — and they even took home two BRIT Awards throughout their tenure.

There are several reasons the band feels like they connected with listeners so much at the time. O’Meara, 44, believes it was their magnetic songs and chemistry. She also feels like there was a certain degree of inspiration they provided to fans. “For a lot of kids, that we were marketed for, that maybe were going through stuff or tough times, it was their escape,” she says of the band’s music.

Stevens, 45, on the other hand, believes their inherent relatability factor resonated with people. “They felt like one of us because we weren't all snooty,” she explains. “We were just like you.”

However, during the height of their career, the band struggled to find respect.

“We always saw ourselves as young talent, but I think the industry always saw you as like a manufactured pop band. You never really had that same respect as a proper band like someone like Coldplay or something,” McIntosh, 42, notes. Part of that, the band concurs, is that the collective attitude toward pop has shifted. “Back in the day it was cheesy pop bands, cheesy manufactured bands,” he says. “Now it’s pop legends, pop icons.”

But S Club wasn’t just a band — it was a brand. During their rise to fame, they also starred in their own sitcoms as fictionalized versions of themselves. With series like Miami 7, L.A. 7, Hollywood 7 and even a movie called Seeing Double, the band earned a niche fanbase in America. “The characters sort of went so far from like, real people,” Barrett, 47, remarks. “They were just kind of ridiculous in a way.”

By 2003, the band officially split — a year after Cattermole left S Club. They’d go onto pursue solo projects, and over time, they’ve reunited in varying iterations.

In the years since forming, not everything has been positive for the group. They’ve spoken out about their financial struggles, as well as their criticisms of Fuller, 63.

Back in the day, Fuller not only managed the S Club, but also the Spice Girls. However, the English pop group didn’t exactly interact with the “Wannabe” artists, though they had encounters with Geri Halliwell and Mel C. over the years. When band member Bradley McIntosh met the latter, he asked for a photo. “I fan-boyed, I fan-girled,” he quips.

Their landmark reunion has allowed the group to reintroduce themselves to original fans and perhaps gain a renewed pop following. But the road back to the stage hasn’t been without its challenges. In April, Cattermole, who was supposed to join the band for their 25th anniversary tour, died aged 46 from heart-related issues. The surviving members of the group renamed the reunion dates “The Good Times Tour,” which according to Lee, 41, was “the song that Paul was going to sing.” Following his tragic death, Spearritt, 42, dropped out of the tour.

When asked whether they considered scrapping the reunion tour following Cattermole’s death, O’Meara says it wasn’t an option. “Because Paul was so, so excited for the tour, maybe a bit more than all of us, actually, I think he'd have been really annoyed with us if we'd have pulled it completely,” she says. They’ve grieved and are paying homage to the late musician in their own way.

As a tribute to Cattermole — and to mark their reunion, however — S Club shared their first new music in 20 years in July with the wistful, breezy pop number “These Are the Days.” Penned by the original team of songwriters S Club worked with — Kathy Dennis and Jo and Simon Ellis, the group wanted “something that sounded familiar to the fans,” says McIntosh.

”It definitely had that ‘S Club feeling’,” he explains, while O’Meara adds that “it just really resonated with where we stand today.”

While out on the road, the band isn’t necessarily excited to play every S Club song. They collectively agree that their song “It’s a Feel Good Thing” brings back memories of a cringe-worthy scene on one of their shows where they’re dancing on a plane. “I pull out a rubber turkey out of a seat,” Barrett recalls. O’Meara adds the song is “stupid.”

But the band is more focused on the future, which includes their first live shows in America and hopefully recording an album or longer project. They believe it all comes down to the fans. “If they want to hear more music, we'll do more music,” says Lee. More broadly, S Club has more “exciting projects” to come this year.

“Maybe a TV show might be in the mix,” Barrett says coyly.

Love the talk of recording an album in there, they really do seem in it for the long haul heart.gif The absolute rudeness to It's a Feel Good Thing though!!!!

I've never seen this photo before, I love it! Click for bigger version biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 25th January 2024, 07:47 PM
Post #251
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

I actually like It’s A Feel Good Thing. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 25th January 2024, 08:24 PM
Post #252
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I really enjoy it too.

It's so great hearing future plans and it's so clear they are serious about it this time around!

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 25th January 2024, 08:33 PM
Post #253
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

QUOTE(Slayer @ Jan 25 2024, 08:24 PM) *
I really enjoy it too.

It's so great hearing future plans and it's so clear they are serious about it this time around!

Agreed. I do wonder what a potential television show would look like though.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 27th January 2024, 08:02 PM
Post #254
Group icon

I feel like it's probably unlikely to get commissioned but it'd be fun to watch them as adults doing the TV show again kink.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 13th February 2024, 05:21 PM
Post #255
Group icon

cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post