BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> UK General Election 2024
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Liam sota
post 6th May 2024, 03:33 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 173,568

Do you think it should be changed back? Seems absurd a Gov can decide to delay an election if they're unpopular
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post 6th May 2024, 03:57 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 175,892

QUOTE(Liam sota @ 6th May 2024, 04:33 PM) *
Do you think it should be changed back? Seems absurd a Gov can decide to delay an election if they're unpopular

What would be the point? As was shown in 2019 it was circumventable by a simple majority act of parliament and repealable by a simple majority act of parliament as shown in 2022. Any government with a majority would just repeal it - it was only useful during the 2010-2015 parliament due to very specific circumstances and in the 2017-2019 Conservative minority government parliament actually made it harder for the Tories to call an election due to the two-thirds majority requirement (hence the Early Parliamentary General Election Bill 2019). It's been got rid of for good reasons even if leaves frustration when watching a dead duck government run the clock to the last minute - but that happens when all governments are doing woefully in the polls (2005-2010 Labour, 1992-1997 Conservatives). Governments can't bind a future parliament so it was only ever of use in 2010-2015 and probably should have been repealed by Cameron in the 2015-17 parliament.

George Osbourne said in January that the likely date of the election had been leaked to him and is 14 November - it'd seem a fairly good bet barring any miracles changing the Conservatives polling fortune.

This post has been edited by DoBelieveTheHype: 6th May 2024, 03:58 PM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 6th May 2024, 04:10 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

A date a couple weeks earlier would be better. Holding it in half-term week means avoiding closing schools for a day to use as polling stations. From a purely selfish perspective, I would be able to keep my record of staying up for every general election since I was able to vote.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 6th May 2024, 04:40 PM
Post #24
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

I love the fact that a 31 October election is a real possibility. The headlines will write themselves.

+Quote this post
My... WAP??
post 7th May 2024, 12:15 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 122,344

I'll be voting for none of them and yes that does count as an official vote through the medium of a spoiled ballet.

It doesn't matter one iota since my seat has been safe Labour for donkeys years but I will have made my own voice heard I guess.

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post 7th May 2024, 03:41 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

The modern face of democracy from the Conservatives Party - scrap postal voting.

https://twitter.com/Bren4Bassetlaw/status/1...744981798527463?

This post has been edited by DoBelieveTheHype: 7th May 2024, 03:41 PM

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 7th May 2024, 04:03 PM
Post #27
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

QUOTE(DoBelieveTheHype @ 7th May 2024, 04:41 PM) *
The modern face of democracy from the Conservatives Party - scrap postal voting.

https://twitter.com/Bren4Bassetlaw/status/1...744981798527463?

It's also pretty much your view too, isn't it?

QUOTE(DoBelieveTheHype @ 2nd May 2024, 03:08 PM) *
They need to get rid of postal voting and make everyone vote in person with ID. it's coercion not fraud that's the biggest issue.

Most countries around the world use voter ID. It's frankly absurd we used to just take people at face value that they were who they said they were to be honest. The fact we still do for postal votes is absurd.

It's not that hard to get Photo ID, and most people have multiple anyway. It's one of the few things this government has done that makes any sense.

Some people can't physically vote at the polling station, do you really support removing the right of these people to vote?

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 7th May 2024, 04:33 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ 7th May 2024, 05:03 PM) *
Some people can't physically vote at the polling station, do you really support removing the right of these people to vote?

Lmoa I thought that too!! He was sayin the same fash thing!

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post 7th May 2024, 04:39 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ 7th May 2024, 05:03 PM) *

Actually, no. I think I was being a bit idealistic in suggesting that and having read the arguments against it - especially people who work away and those who have mobility issues. The old system where you had to evidence why you need a postal vote would be ideal but it would be too costly, overly bureaucratic and a bit pointless to reintroduce it. I've never needed a postal vote, but there's obvious situations where I could - as indeed any of us could and I'd be a bit miffed not to have the option.

Coercion is a real issue in some communities but denying the disabled and people who work away a vote just because it might prevent some people being pressured by family members on postal votes is a bit too far on reflection.

Unlike most members of parliament I can put my hand up when I'm wrong.

This post has been edited by DoBelieveTheHype: 7th May 2024, 04:41 PM

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 7th May 2024, 04:43 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Postal votes are a necessary part of democracy.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 7th May 2024, 08:45 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(DoBelieveTheHype @ 7th May 2024, 05:39 PM) *
Actually, no. I think I was being a bit idealistic in suggesting that and having read the arguments against it - especially people who work away and those who have mobility issues. The old system where you had to evidence why you need a postal vote would be ideal but it would be too costly, overly bureaucratic and a bit pointless to reintroduce it. I've never needed a postal vote, but there's obvious situations where I could - as indeed any of us could and I'd be a bit miffed not to have the option.

Coercion is a real issue in some communities but denying the disabled and people who work away a vote just because it might prevent some people being pressured by family members on postal votes is a bit too far on reflection.

Unlike most members of parliament I can put my hand up when I'm wrong.

It's always good to see people accepting that they made a mistake.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 8th May 2024, 09:24 AM
Post #32
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Yeh I’m the same I didn’t even think of people who can’t go to the polling stations which is ridiculous of me.

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post 8th May 2024, 11:26 AM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

Another Conservative defection to Labour from Natalie Elphicke.

I can't be the only one who things Starmer should have told her where to shove it.

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 8th May 2024, 11:36 AM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

I don't think I will ever understand how someone defects from Tory to Labour.....

Or maybe they are just abandoning a sinking ship.....

+Quote this post
Liam sota
post 8th May 2024, 11:38 AM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 173,568

If I was a Tory MP that's what I'd be looking to do about now. Self preservation is one reason obviously but also Rishi is so bad the Tories are all over the place no coherent plans and most people see Labour under Starmer as Tory-lite

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 8th May 2024, 11:56 AM
Post #36
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(DoBelieveTheHype @ 8th May 2024, 12:26 PM) *
Another Conservative defection to Labour from Natalie Elphicke.

I can't be the only one who things Starmer should have told her where to shove it.

She can F all the way OFF, quite frankly dry.gif

Her and that sex pest husband of hers.

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post 8th May 2024, 11:57 AM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(Liam sota @ 8th May 2024, 12:38 PM) *
If I was a Tory MP that's what I'd be looking to do about now. Self preservation is one reason obviously but also Rishi is so bad the Tories are all over the place no coherent plans and most people see Labour under Starmer as Tory-lite

The fact Labour is even opening it's door to somewhere as far right as Elphicke tells you exactly what kind of government were going to get from Labour.

Thankfully she's not standing for election but I do really think Labour should have told her where to go rather than actually welcoming her into the party as if she was some centrist. She's the kind of person you'd expect to defect to Reform not the Labour Party.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 8th May 2024, 12:42 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

Terrible decision from Starmer - whose next? Suella Bravermann going to cross over to become Shadow Home Secretary next? pirate.gif

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 8th May 2024, 02:15 PM
Post #39
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(DoBelieveTheHype @ 8th May 2024, 12:57 PM) *
The fact Labour is even opening it's door to somewhere as far right as Elphicke tells you exactly what kind of government were going to get from Labour.

Thankfully she's not standing for election but I do really think Labour should have told her where to go rather than actually welcoming her into the party as if she was some centrist. She's the kind of person you'd expect to defect to Reform not the Labour Party.

I think that’s a bit over the top.

I’m not really a fan of MPs crossing the lines between the red and blues as it feeds in to the narrative that all politicians are the same, but I don’t believe this to be the case. This one is purely symbolic, the small boats issues is about the last big thing the Tories have to cling on to and by all accounts, so just seems like a kick in the teeth and pure party politics. Starmer’s version of Labour is obviously more to the right, but guess the centre ground wins the elections. In a week this will all blow over, but the symbolism still exists of the Tories falling apart under Sunak.

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post 8th May 2024, 02:33 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(Rooney @ 8th May 2024, 03:15 PM) *
I think that’s a bit over the top.

I’m not really a fan of MPs crossing the lines between the red and blues as it feeds in to the narrative that all politicians are the same, but I don’t believe this to be the case. This one is purely symbolic, the small boats issues is about the last big thing the Tories have to cling on to and by all accounts, so just seems like a kick in the teeth and pure party politics. Starmer’s version of Labour is obviously more to the right, but guess the centre ground wins the elections. In a week this will all blow over, but the symbolism still exists of the Tories falling apart under Sunak.

The centre ground does indeed win in politics. You're correct. All the more reason not accept right-wingers like Elphick into the Labour party fold.

+Quote this post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

7 user(s) reading this thread
Smint, Doctor Blind, Iz 🌟, Brett-Butler + 3 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 29th May 2024, 01:53 PM