BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Riser Recaps (EOY) 2022, My 10th EOY thread - finally completed!
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Riser
post 7th January 2023, 06:55 PM
Post #1
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Let this post be my declaration of intent to join the EOY festivities for another year. This is my 10th year on Buzzjack after all, and my 10th EOY thread, so I might as well acknowledge the effort I've put into these over the past decade. I'm still getting things in order (and trying to catch up on reading everyone else's EOYs!), so don't expect this to start for another few days at least, but rest assured I don't leave anything unfinished, even if it takes me until spring as it often does.

Stay tuned for some of Buzzjack's absolute favorite artists, including Anne-Marie, Ed Sheeran, Imagine Dragons, Morgan Wallen, Lauren Spencer-Smith, and maybe even Lewis Capaldi. sarah11.png Yes, they're all here, and hopefully some of your own faves will be as well.

Previous EOY #1s:
2013 - Lorde 'Royals'
2014 - Paramore 'Ain't It Fun'
2015 - Walk The Moon 'Shut Up And Dance'
2016 - Ariana Grande 'Into You'
2017 - Lorde 'Green Light'
2018 - Taylor Swift 'Delicate'
2019 - Sam Smith 'How Do You Sleep?'
2020 - The Weeknd 'Heartless'
2021 - Olivia Rodrigo 'Deja Vu'
2022 - To be revealed!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 7th January 2023, 08:39 PM
Post #2
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

You had me at Anne-Marie x

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 7th January 2023, 08:46 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Exciting! Looking forward to seeing what pops up here.

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 8th January 2023, 04:03 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Can't wait for your list!

+Quote this post
Riser
post 15th January 2023, 01:22 AM
Post #5
Group icon

62. Hazey "Packs And Potions"
This is probably one of the last songs you'd have expected in the EOY but we're starting as we mean to go on. kink.gif Actually 'Packs And Potions' is not even a guilty pleasure, the production is solid and I can't help but adore Hazey's accent despite not understanding a word *_* So yeah this is a legit banger, Hazey to not be a one-hit wonder please

61. Adele "Oh My God"
Well, now that the 30 album has had a year to settle, I'm inclined to say it's my favorite Adele album. ohmy.gif It'll be easy to dismiss as her flop era, but so many album tracks proved to be enduring highlights for me. That said, I don't quite hold 'Oh My God' in the same regard. This is by far the lowest appearance she's ever had in my EOY, but it's not like I hated it. kink.gif Just that my enjoyment of it was almost entirely due to it being Adele, rather than any redeeming qualities of the song itself.
Previous EOY history: "Hello" (#13, 2015), "When We Were Young" (#3, 2016), "Send My Love (To Your New Lover)" (#5, 2016), "Water Under The Bridge" (#11, 2017), "Easy On Me" (#11, 2021)

60. Acraze feat. Cherish "Do It To It"
I'm almost always here for songs getting covered, re-worked or sampled, especially when the song in question is as random and nearly-forgotten as 'Do It To It'. It deserved better in the UK and the US, especially the latter where it missed the top 40, but at least it hasn't been overplayed and still sounds fresh!

59. Demi Lovato "Substance"

Yessss, I missed rock Demi so much!! 'Don't Forget' and 'Here We Go Again' were the songs that made me a fan in the first place and I've been waiting for more ever since. Well 'Substance' was worth the wait and then some, even better than anything I heard from Avril, Willow, or any of their peers last year. It's criminal that it wasn't massive, in fact the song nearly passed me by entirely so I'm just lucky to have heard it in the first place.
Previous EOY history: "Neon Lights" (#58, 2014), "Cool For The Summer" (#40, 2015), "No Promises" (#36, 2017)

58. Dustin Lynch "Party Mode"

'Party Mode' is the first of eight country songs in my EOY, which finally breaks the record of seven from my 2015 EOY. Dustin Lynch has been on the scene for over a decade but this is the first song of his I've properly loved. Sometimes all you need is a simple hook that's easy to sing along to, although the video did elevate it for me too!

57. Talk "Run Away To Mars"

Has anyone else listened to this? 'Run Away To Mars' really goes for all the feels; it's getting good airplay on alt radio here and it stops me in my tracks every time I hear it. And not just because the lead singer sounds like Marcus Mumford in the chorus. In fact I like to imagine Mumford & Sons kicking themselves for not writing and recording it themselves!

56. Sam Hunt "23"

This should not be Sam Hunt's first appearance in my EOY, because 'Body Like A Back Road' is a not-so-guilty pleasure of mine, but I must have neglected to include it back in 2017. unsure.gif His recent music hasn't stood out nearly as much but '23' managed to grow on me quite a lot. Coincidentally I was 23 when his debut single and album were released so maybe that's why it's special for me!

55. Harry Styles "Late Night Talking"
Honestly I enjoyed 'Late Night Talking' a bit more than this #55 ranking would suggest. It was particularly a fave on the radio just by nature of standing out so much from every other song; surely no one other than Harry Styles could've made this a hit! I get Paul Simon 'You Can Call Me Al' vibes from it, one of my favorite 80s songs <3
Previous EOY history: "Sign Of The Times" (#64, 2017), "Watermelon Sugar" (#45, 2020), "Golden" (#3, 2021 & #39, 2020)

54. Lewis Capaldi "Forget Me"
I was definitely interested in new music from Lewis and even more interested in following its chart performance. 'Forget Me' got things off to a good start and at least it got to #1 without an outrageously excessive campaign. tearsmile.gif This is just barely his best placing on my EOY, but as of now I still prefer 'Bruises' and 'Grace'. wub.gif
Previous EOY history: "Bruises" (#58, 2019)

53. Burna Boy feat. Ed Sheeran "For My Hand"
I really like 'Last Last' and think it made for a great first hit as lead artist for Burna Boy. That said, I have no good explanation for why I prefer 'For My Hand', but I do, as unpopular of an opinion as that may be. tongue.gif
Previous EOY history for Burna Boy: "Location" (#56, 2019)
Previous EOY history for Ed: "Don't" (#5, 2014), "Sing" (#30, 2014), "Thinking Out Loud" (#47, 2015), "Shape Of You" (#49, 2017), "Cross Me" (#20, 2019), "I Don't Care" (#37, 2019), "Overpass Graffiti" (#32, 2021), "Shivers" (#55, 2021), "Afterglow" (#62, 2021)

52. Jessica Darrow "Surface Pressure"
'Surface Pressure' was actually my initial favorite of the Encanto songs in the charts. It's a catchy chorus and I could appreciate the lyrics even without the context of the movie. I hope it's earned its place in the Disney canon without being too overshadowed by 'We Don't Talk About Bruno'!

51. Shawn Mendes "When You're Gone"

It's nice to have Shawn back in my EOY! 'When You're Gone' was a solid return to form after his consistent run of great singles fell by the wayside in the past couple years. He did not get the support he deserved for this song, but it got his name back out there and proved he hasn't lost his talent.
Previous EOY history: "Stitches" (#3, 2015), "Mercy" (#10, 2017 & #36, 2016), "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" (#54, 2017), "In My Blood" (#2, 2018), "Lost In Japan" (#59, 2018), "If I Can't Have You" (#26, 2019)

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 15th January 2023, 01:34 AM
Post #6
Group icon

Adele.

Obviously love seeing Late Night Talking here! When You're Gone deserved so much more than it got, one of Shawn's best for sure. Surface Pressure was an iconic hit of course *.*

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 16th January 2023, 08:05 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

When You're Gone is a reaal tune, for me it's one of if not Shawn's best! And For My Hand was a real grower for me as well. Giving Run Away To Mars a listen as well now, I'm liking it a lot, definitely sounds like one of those songs that would be massive for me given enough listens!

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 19th January 2023, 12:58 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

'When You're Gone', 'Surface Pressure', 'Forget Me' & 'Oh My God' are great picks here and I didn't mind 'For My Hand'. I was a little surprised it missed the eoy top 100 of last year as it was hanging around for ages with a low top 20 peak. Can't have been far off!

I'm going to go through Demi's album some more soon. I think I've heard 'Substance' and recall quite enjoying it but I'll have to recheck that to see if it was or not!

Looking forward to the next batch Jordan!

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 19th January 2023, 06:05 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hi there Riser!
Nice to see "Oh My God", "Do It To It", "Late Night Talking", "Forget Me" and "When You're Gone" from your list.
Can't wait for the next songs!

+Quote this post
Riser
post 29th January 2023, 09:00 PM
Post #10
Group icon

50. Gayle "ABCDEFU"
That brief year-long wave of female pop-rock hits was nice, wasn't it? 'ABCDEFU' definitely veered into novelty territory, but if anything that made me more of a fan. Gayle came up with a strong hook and clever lyrics and she was only 17 too. You never know, one day she could even shake off the one-hit wonder tag!

49. Diplo & Miguel "Don't Forget My Love"
Is it just a coincidence that Miguel's most well-known dance collabs are called 'Remind Me To Forget' and 'Don't Forget My Love'? I actually agree with both titles actually, as I personally did want to forget the former (kink.gif), but definitely not the latter! Diplo created the better track for Miguel's voice, their talents just blend and complement each other perfectly.
Previous EOY history for Diplo: "Looking For Me" (#56, 2020)

48. Phoenix "Alpha Zulu"

Out of all the artists in my EOY, Phoenix is probably the biggest surprise! I absolutely love '1901', 'Lisztomania' and 'Entertainment', but nothing since then has even come close to that level of enjoyment for me. I stopped seeking their music out a while ago but thankfully heard 'Alpha Zulu' on the radio and was an instant fan. 'Tonight' is also great, way to go Phoenix for making it feel like 2010 all over again heart.gif

47. Lizzo "About Damn Time"
It's easy to forget 'About Damn Time' struggled in its first few weeks until it blew up on TikTok. I will admit I wasn't on board at first either (too generic, too disco) but it grew on me just like it did for everyone else. It's not actually generic, just simply a catchy and feel-good song, and sometimes that's all you need. I have to believe this massively exceeded all expectations, and I'm so happy for Lizzo because she deserved some more follow-up success after hitting it so big in 2019. A second #1 here and finally a top 5 hit in the UK…you could say it really was about damn time. basil.gif
Previous EOY history: "Juice" (#8, 2019), "Truth Hurts" (#13, 2019), "Good As Hell" (#44, 2019)

46. Jack Harlow "First Class"
Momentum was on Jack's side off the back of 'Industry Baby'; combine that with a Fergie sample and it's hard to go wrong. In fact 'First Class' was even swapping places with Harry Styles at #1 on the Hot 100, even winning the battle for three of those weeks! Oops at the rest of his album being a disappointment but I'm confident he has more good music up his sleeve.
Previous EOY history: "Industry Baby" (#16, 2021), "Tyler Herro" (#34, 2021)

45. Vance Joy "Clarity"

I'm glad Vance hasn't been releasing a bunch of 'Riptide' clones over the past decade, instead he's proven himself to be more than just a one-trick pony. He still gets his singles played on alt radio in the US and 'Clarity' grew on me much, much more than all his others have. Weird to see it higher on my EOY than 'Riptide' was in 2014, but I do think this one's now my fave of his!
Previous EOY history: "Riptide" (#48, 2014)

44. Latto "Big Energy"
'Big Energy' didn't necessarily start the current trend of old songs being sampled, but it sure has been one of the best songs to come from it. (Obligatory shame on Dr. Luke for continuing to inflict earworms on us x) The original was absolutely fine but I gotta give props to Mariah Carey for agreeing to a remix and bringing DJ Khaled with her *.*

43. Beyoncé "Break My Soul"
I can't say I wanted anything specific from Beyoncé's long-awaited Renaissance era, especially with Lemonade being so diverse and proving she can excel at just about any genre. Luckily Beyoncé knew exactly what she wanted and she more than delivered! The 90s-inspired dance energy of 'Break My Soul' was a breath of fresh air, and the empowering lyrics were timely as well, as if we could finally dance through the pain of the past two years of pandemic, racial injustice, political turmoil, etc., and celebrate our perseverance through it all. With that in mind, I think this qualifies as a triumph!
Previous EOY history: "Drunk In Love" (#9, 2014), "Sorry" (#33, 2016)

42. Rihanna "Lift Me Up"
From one long-awaited comeback to another! I know 'Lift Me Up' didn't live up to most people's expectations, but I love it and don't plan to disown it anytime soon. My theory is that Rihanna had the disadvantage of releasing after Beyoncé, with 'Break My Soul' unintentionally setting the bar pretty high for Rih to come back with a similar banger. But as you can see I wasn't disappointed at all, with 'Lift Me Up' being probably the newest song to make it in my EOY—in other words, with more time it would've been even higher!
Previous EOY history: "FourFiveSeconds" (#6, 2015), "Work" (#19, 2016), "Too Good" (#23, 2016), "Kiss It Better" (#25, 2016), "Love On The Brain" (#57, 2016), "Needed Me" (#60, 2016)

41. Imagine Dragons & JID "Enemy"
I've been blessed as an Imagine Dragons fan recently with two albums plus 'Enemy', one of their biggest hit singles, all within a calendar year. This was a solid collab that completely transcended Arcane, which was good for people like me who have no idea what Arcane or League Of Legends is. kink.gif JID impressed me with his verse, I wasn't familiar with him either but he seemed like an inspired feature! Overall it's catchy without being formulaic, Imagine Dragons have struck the wrong balance before (see 'Follow You') but this shows they're still as creative as they've always been.
Previous EOY history for Imagine Dragons: "On Top Of The World" (#37, 2014), "I Bet My Life" (#5, 2015), "Shots" (#36, 2015), "Believer" (#41, 2017), "Thunder" (#18, 2017), "Whatever It Takes" (#3, 2018), "Wrecked" (#13, 2021)

+Quote this post
Riser
post 12th February 2023, 01:38 AM
Post #11
Group icon

40. Cat Burns "Go"
I can vaguely remember a time back before 'Go' wasn't overplayed or constantly dodging ACR, and it was such a breath of fresh air! This is just for the radio edit, which they did a perfect job with turning it into a mid-tempo. I appreciated that even more after realizing it wasn't the original and hearing how dreadfully slow that version is. laugh.gif

39. Nate Smith "Whiskey On You"

Another late entry into this EOY is my #1 from December. I had never heard of Nate Smith and was suspicious that he'd have nothing original to offer, just another Morgan Wallen or Bailey Zimmerman or someone else. But then I heard this on the radio, and before I even realized it was his song 'Whiskey On You', I was hooked! It wastes no time building up to a loud, high-energy, sing-along chorus and definitely stands out in its own right. Definitely looking forward to more music from him!

38. George Ezra "Green Green Grass"
Unpopular opinion alert. I was hoping George would have another really successful album, and 'Anyone For You' was quite good and promising but still lacked a little something I couldn't pinpoint. (And no, it wasn't adding '(Tiger Lily)' to the title sleep.gif) 'Green Green Grass' went on to be not just catchier, but my favorite song he's ever released. The meltdowns over it on Buzzjack only make me love it more, which continues even this week with its inexplicable but welcome return to SCR *.*

37. Em Beihold "Numb Little Bug"
You've got to appreciate a song that's so upbeat and catchy, that you almost don't notice the lyrics are actually depressing and sad. laugh.gif I haven't listened to anything else from Em Beihold, but on 'Numb Little Bug' she reminds me of a young Sara Bareilles. Actually this never got old for me, and it had quite a lot of airplay here, so maybe I should check out another song or two.

36. Kane Brown "Like I Love Country Music"

A country song about country music is always risky, but if the song is just right, you might have a classic on your hands. 'Like I Love Country Music' was definitely a risk that paid off, with Kane Brown making all these references to the legends that came before him. Those honestly cancel out any cheesiness of the rest of the song. I'm a little surprised this is Kane's first appearance in my EOY, but I've only become more of a fan in the past year or two, so hopefully it's not his last!

35. David Guetta & Bebe Rexha "I'm Good (Blue)"
Bray don't read this x Unlike others here, I was not familiar with the unofficial version of 'I'm Good (Blue)' or even aware of it, but on paper it was something I would like, and sure enough it was! I enjoyed the surprise release and how quickly it became a hit, and of course couldn't be happier for Bebe. But the best moment of all was hearing the uncensored version on Radio 1, Jameela could only dream of making such an error. DeadBanana.gif
Previous EOY history for David: "Flames" (#20, 2018), "Remember" (#18, 2021)
Previous EOY history for Bebe: "Me, Myself & I" (#20, 2016), "In The Name Of Love" (#48, 2016), "Meant To Be" (#11, 2018)

34. Charli XCX feat. Rina Sawayama "Beg For You"
I've loved 'Cry For You' since 2008 just as much as everyone else has, so for me it's hard for anyone to go wrong sampling it, especially if it's Charli XCX. Just hearing that melody on the radio again was wonderful, even though I wasn't hearing it on US radio, since 'Beg For You' didn't impact here like 'Cry For You' did. Deserved so much more chart success, as her music often does, but at least she got a #1 album!
Previous EOY history for Charli: "Boom Clap" (#3, 2014), "Fancy" (#4, 2014), "1999" (#53, 2018), "Good Ones" (#46, 2021)

33. Future feat. Drake & Tems "Wait For U"
I'm becoming less of a Drake fan as time goes on and as he gets more self-indulgent with each album. So I actually tried to avoid 'Wait For U' at first, but I ended up quite liking it! We'll say that's because it's Future's song and not Drake's. It's also no surprise that Tems is getting more features after making a big impression on 'Essence', and I hope she has even more success in the, erm, future! basil.gif
Previous EOY history for Future: "Cold" (#20, 2017), "Everyday" (#22, 2017)
Previous EOY history for Drake: "One Dance" (#4, 2016), "Work" (#19, 2016), "Too Good" (#23, 2016), "For Free" (#28, 2016)

32. Sam Smith feat. Kim Petras "Unholy"
Once again proving their best songs are not ballads, Sam unleashed 'Unholy' on us by calling it part of their villain era, and it was perfection. The production is perfectly dark and futuristic, and Kim Petras slays her verse as I knew she would. I'm so happy for Sam to finally have a Hot 100 #1 and for Kim to finally have her first chart hit as well.
Previous EOY history for Sam: "Latch" (#11, 2014), "Money On My Mind" (#38, 2014), "I'm Not The Only One" (#39, 2014), "Too Good At Goodbyes" (#31, 2017), "How Do You Sleep?" (#1, 2019), "Diamonds" (#10, 2020), "To Die For" (#61, 2020)

31. Teddy Swims "Love For A Minute"

I've been following Teddy Swims ever since 'My Bad', which I could've sworn was entered in PFSC, but a quick search is telling me it wasn't. unsure.gif (Was it in some other song contest or am I completely misremembering? Can anyone help?) Anyway, long story short, his voice is amazing, and 'Love For A Minute' was my new fave the moment I heard it. I debated sending it to BJSC but didn't trust everyone to give it the love it deserves, which is why I ended up picking another song of his to send. But I recommend this one even more! tongue.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 12th February 2023, 01:41 AM
Post #12
Group icon

Big Energy was of course one of the best bops of the past year (and a bit) *.* the original is great but it's all about the Mariah remix for me!

Obviously a lot of love for I'm Good (Blue) too, what an anthem wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 20th February 2023, 07:18 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I was waitin' in the garden
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Hey Jordan hi.gif <3

First of all... congrats on a 10th year of producing EOYs on here *.* funnily enough your first one was the same year I first did an EOY, hadn't done one again until 2022 though laugh.gif

My favourites to appear so far are these:

61. Adele "Oh My God"
48. Phoenix "Alpha Zulu"
44. Latto "Big Energy"

'Easy Of Me' was exactly what I expected from an Adele comeback (not necessarily a bad thing!) but I liked that 'Oh My God' was a bit more of a switch-up for her.

I was really unsure about 'Surface Pressure' at first, took a little while for me to warm to Jessica's vocal style, but soon enough it was lodged in my brain laugh.gif

I had kinda forgotten about 'Alpha Zulu' but that definitely made my chart! I need to check out Phoenix's older music as they're a bit of a blind spot for me.

00s queens Ashanti and Fergie popping up in the chart last year via samples was fun laugh.gif curious to see if Jack Harlow will be involved with Dua Lipa's next era at all, as a potential feature, following dating rumours and him of course naming a song after her tongue.gif

'BREAK MY SOUL' was such a triumphant return from Beyoncé wub.gif will we ever get a video though thinking.gif

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 25th February 2023, 07:36 PM
Post #14
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

Catching up on this! Nice to see some support for Forget Me and the much maligned Green Green Grass, as well as popular favourites from Lizzo and Beyoncé. I also share your view on 'Go' and the radio edit - it seemed like an interesting breakout song until it became clear it was a conduit to a tediously slow version, renamed 'go'. I'm sure I must have heard the Phoenix song but will need to give it another listen - '1901' is great though!

+Quote this post
Riser
post 25th February 2023, 11:20 PM
Post #15
Group icon

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Feb 11 2023, 08:41 PM) *
Big Energy was of course one of the best bops of the past year (and a bit) *.* the original is great but it's all about the Mariah remix for me!

Obviously a lot of love for I'm Good (Blue) too, what an anthem wub.gif
Thanks Joseph! More faves of yours coming soon wink.gif

QUOTE(Jade @ Feb 20 2023, 02:18 PM) *
Hey Jordan hi.gif <3

First of all... congrats on a 10th year of producing EOYs on here *.* funnily enough your first one was the same year I first did an EOY, hadn't done one again until 2022 though laugh.gif

My favourites to appear so far are these:

61. Adele "Oh My God"
48. Phoenix "Alpha Zulu"
44. Latto "Big Energy"

'Easy Of Me' was exactly what I expected from an Adele comeback (not necessarily a bad thing!) but I liked that 'Oh My God' was a bit more of a switch-up for her.

I was really unsure about 'Surface Pressure' at first, took a little while for me to warm to Jessica's vocal style, but soon enough it was lodged in my brain laugh.gif

I had kinda forgotten about 'Alpha Zulu' but that definitely made my chart! I need to check out Phoenix's older music as they're a bit of a blind spot for me.

00s queens Ashanti and Fergie popping up in the chart last year via samples was fun laugh.gif curious to see if Jack Harlow will be involved with Dua Lipa's next era at all, as a potential feature, following dating rumours and him of course naming a song after her tongue.gif

'BREAK MY SOUL' was such a triumphant return from Beyoncé wub.gif will we ever get a video though thinking.gif
Dating rumours!?!?! I must have missed those ohmy.gif
I can't imagine there's much hope of any Renaissance era videos anymore sad.gif which is a massive missed opportunity if so, but I'd love to be proven wrong!
Thanks Jade biggrin.gif

QUOTE(jimwatts @ Feb 25 2023, 02:36 PM) *
Catching up on this! Nice to see some support for Forget Me and the much maligned Green Green Grass, as well as popular favourites from Lizzo and Beyoncé. I also share your view on 'Go' and the radio edit - it seemed like an interesting breakout song until it became clear it was a conduit to a tediously slow version, renamed 'go'. I'm sure I must have heard the Phoenix song but will need to give it another listen - '1901' is great though!
Thanks Jim! Happy to see another Green Green Grass fan (at least I'm assuming you are one), these past few weeks especially the consensus has seemed unanimously negative laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Riser
post 25th February 2023, 11:35 PM
Post #16
Group icon

30. Anne-Marie & Aitch "Psycho"
Previously, the only Anne-Marie song I fully loved was "Birthday", so it stands to reason that I only love her songs when they're obnoxious as possible. This theory was confirmed on my first listen to "Psycho", her most obnoxious song to date, and by far her best! *.* Whoever told her that collabing with Aitch and interpolating "Mambo No. 5" was a recipe for success, is clearly a genius. It's been such a big hit for her too, so I hope she follows the same formula and releases more like this in the future. I might finally forgive her for "2002" if she does x
Previous EOY history for Anne-Marie: "Come Over" (#65, 2020)
Previous EOY history for Aitch: "Rain" (#64, 2020)

29. Bugzy Malone & TeeDee "Out Of Nowhere"
Wow, this is pretty high considering it was out for less than two months of the year! You could say it came out of nowhere. thinking.gif But I already liked most of Bugzy Malone's songs that had charted so far, and he's deserved better peaks and more longevity for a while now. It was worth the wait, as "Out Of Nowhere" was his biggest banger yet, and despite going top 10 still felt robbed of a better peak. It ended up being my first #1 of 2023, so there's a chance it'll be even higher in my next EOY.

28. Florence + The Machine "My Love"

My Florence stan card has been inactive, after not caring for anything I heard from her previous album. "My Love" was the first song of hers to grab my attention in a while, maybe because it sounded like…a dance track? Not quite, but it was a great style for her nonetheless, and a return to form with the epic build-ups and big choruses that Florence has always been great at. She's still got it!

27. Fireboy DML "Playboy"

You may have noticed "Preu" has not appeared here, nor is it still to come. I was not a fan and certainly wasn't seeking any more music from Fireboy DML, but the Zambian radio station I listen to actually played his follow-up "Playboy". You can imagine my surprise when I Shazamed it and saw who it was. It has so much more life to it, and I found myself listening to it on repeat. If you like any other Afrobeats songs, give this one a chance!

26. Seafret "Atlantis"
Forget "Running Up That Hill", this is the song I'm most thankful for being revived last year! If I remember right, "Atlantis" was the very first song Jack Saunders played as host of the chart show, which was also my first time hearing the song. It completely passed me by when it was new, and I can't believe I could've been enjoying it for seven years by now. I haven't listened to anything else from Seafret, but I'm open to recommendations!

25. Taylor Swift "Anti-Hero"
More often than not, Taylor's lead singles disappoint me on first listen, and then they grow and grow until I change my mind, often with the help of heavy airplay. "Anti-Hero" was no exception! I finally listened to Midnights and it's just not my style I guess, I'll always prefer her country albums and the Folklore/Evermore duo, but I'm still glad this one grew on me, especially since it was impossible to avoid whether you liked it or not!
Previous EOY history: "Shake It Off" (#22, 2014), "Wildest Dreams" (#25, 2015), "Delicate" (#1, 2018), "…Ready For It?" (#49, 2018), "You Need To Calm Down" (#32, 2019), "Exile" (#15, 2020), "The Man" (#19, 2020), "Cardigan" (#38, 2020), "All Too Well (Taylor's Version)" (#28, 2021), "Willow" (#43, 2021)

24. Tate McRae "She's All I Wanna Be"
It's safe to say Tate is no longer a one-hit wonder, yay! On first listen of "She's All I Wanna Be", the cynic in me wanted to write it off as a "Good 4 U" soundalike, much like "You Broke Me First" was a Billie Eilish soundalike. But I love pop-rock and couldn't help but enjoy this one, and after weeks of hearing it every Sunday on First Look, one time it suddenly clicked and became a fave!
Previous EOY history: "You Broke Me First" (#42, 2020)

23. Stephanie Beatriz, Olga Merediz & Encanto Cast "The Family Madrigal"
Here it is, my favorite Encanto song! I haven't even seen the movie yet but I feel like I know a lot about it just from this song. laugh.gif "The Family Madrigal" is full of iconic moments from "and that's why coffee's for grown-ups" to "grandkid roundup!". I couldn't get enough and it nearly topped my chart, peaking at #2 in February (yes, despite not seeing the film!).

22. Ed Sheeran feat. Lil Baby "2step"
We've been spared any Ed Sheeran for over half of the countdown, but he has not one, not two, but three songs here in the top half! While anything would've been an improvement after Ed's previous single, "2step" stood out also for its tempo, production, and being far enough removed from his usual inoffensive radio fodder. I've never really enjoyed Lil Baby but his verse actually impresses me here. This is firmly my second favorite from = now!
Previous EOY history for Ed: "Don't" (#5, 2014), "Sing" (#30, 2014), "Thinking Out Loud" (#47, 2015), "Shape Of You" (#49, 2017), "Cross Me" (#20, 2019), "I Don't Care" (#37, 2019), "Overpass Graffiti" (#32, 2021), "Shivers" (#55, 2021), "Afterglow" (#62, 2021)

21. Lil Durk feat. Morgan Wallen "Broadway Girls"

I'm proud to be in the small sub-section of people who listen to rap and country and enjoy the occasional hip-hop/country crossover. Again, the cynic in me insists this song is nothing more than Morgan Wallen's damage control for the whole n-word incident. And quite frankly there's no universe or alternate reality where a Lil Durk/Morgan Wallen collab should work. And yet, it does. cheeseblock.png "Broadway Girls" was an unbelievable earworm and inexplicably got to #2 in my chart.
Previous EOY history for Morgan: "Chasin' You" (#31, 2020)

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 1st March 2023, 09:27 PM
Post #17
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

QUOTE(Riser @ Feb 25 2023, 11:20 PM) *
Thanks Jim! Happy to see another Green Green Grass fan (at least I'm assuming you are one), these past few weeks especially the consensus has seemed unanimously negative laugh.gif
It's far from his best song, but I do enjoy it for what it is.

Happy to see Out Of Nowhere appearing - I enjoy it for much the same reason as Ladbroke Grove with its garage-influenced sound. Did it even make the multichart? It got a positive reception in the Chart Show threads anyway. The Family Madrigal is a fun burst of Latin energy, and it packs in so much of the film backstory that it doesn't matter if you haven't seen it. So in summary, "blue, blue sky" and "drawers, floors, doors, let's goooo!" for the win biggrin.gif Also, I have now listened to Alpha Zulu, and it is indeed great!

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 4th March 2023, 08:54 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

Tate, Taylor, Seafret, Ed, 'Family Madrigal' all goodies from the latest batch or so Jordan!

You really love the unpopular ones eh? laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Riser
post 11th March 2023, 11:36 PM
Post #19
Group icon

QUOTE(jimwatts @ Mar 1 2023, 04:27 PM) *
It's far from his best song, but I do enjoy it for what it is.

Happy to see Out Of Nowhere appearing - I enjoy it for much the same reason as Ladbroke Grove with its garage-influenced sound. Did it even make the multichart? It got a positive reception in the Chart Show threads anyway. The Family Madrigal is a fun burst of Latin energy, and it packs in so much of the film backstory that it doesn't matter if you haven't seen it. So in summary, "blue, blue sky" and "drawers, floors, doors, let's goooo!" for the win biggrin.gif Also, I have now listened to Alpha Zulu, and it is indeed great!
Out Of Nowhere did actually spend 9 weeks on the Multichart and peaked at #16! And I believe I spotted 'Alpha Zulu' just debuted on your chart which is pretty cool biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Roba. @ Mar 4 2023, 03:54 PM) *
Tate, Taylor, Seafret, Ed, 'Family Madrigal' all goodies from the latest batch or so Jordan!

You really love the unpopular ones eh? laugh.gif
Oh Rob we're only just starting to scratch the surface laugh.gif kink.gif

+Quote this post
Riser
post 11th March 2023, 11:58 PM
Post #20
Group icon

20. Bob Moses "Love Brand New"

'Love Brand New' is the very first time one of my BJSC entries has ever been #1 in my chart, a feat that took 8 years to achieve! (I don't think it's the best ever performance in my EOY because Lauren Alaina's 'Road Less Traveled' got a little bit higher.) The bad news, unfortunately it also has the shortest chart run for a #1 in my chart, going 1-7-39-out. That said, clearly I'm still a big fan or it wouldn't be this high!

19. Maggie Rogers "That's Where I Am"

I was confident that Maggie's comeback single would be worth the wait, and sure enough, it was! 'That's Where I Am' has child-of-the-90s written all over it, especially the video, which is so reminiscent of the late 90s and early 2000s, it would fit right in with the videos I used to watch on VH1 back in the day. Surrender was a terrific album as well!
Previous EOY history: "Light On" (#10, 2019)

18. Ed Sheeran "Overpass Graffiti"

'Overpass Graffiti' was #32 in my 2021 EOY, but since it finally peaked in my chart at #1 in January 2022, it seemed fair to include it again since it would appear higher this time. This is still my favorite from =, sounding more "authentically Ed" than certain other songs of his. It also sounds like it belongs on a road trip playlist, and that's captured perfectly in the video, which made me even more fond of it. wub.gif
Previous EOY history: "Don't" (#5, 2014), "Sing" (#30, 2014), "Thinking Out Loud" (#47, 2015), "Shape Of You" (#49, 2017), "Cross Me" (#20, 2019), "I Don't Care" (#37, 2019), "Overpass Graffiti" (#32, 2021), "Shivers" (#55, 2021), "Afterglow" (#62, 2021)

17. Joji "Glimpse Of Us"
'Glimpse Of Us' was my proper introduction to Joji, and what an introduction it was! This is one of those piano ballads that just stops you in your tracks and demands your full attention. I don't love the video because the content is so jarringly mismatched from the song itself, but I do respect the early Lana Del Rey aesthetic of just using random video clips to soundtrack a slow piano ballad. I also enjoyed seeing it debut so high in the charts, even getting to #1 in Australia and New Zealand. Unfortunately this hasn't really led me to other songs of his, but I'm certainly not opposed to hearing more.

16. LF System "Afraid To Feel"
From a song that stops you in your tracks, to a song that does the exact opposite. laugh.gif 'Afraid To Feel' was one of the most instant-sounding hits of the year, it's impossible to sit still when it comes on! The sample, the disco flavor, the piano, and especially the tempo changes *.* An absolutely incredible effort and hopefully a #1 that the UK will cherish for many years to come.

15. Harry Styles "As It Was"
'Golden' is still my favorite Harry Styles song, but now that I think about it, 'As It Was' has a lot of the same sounds and styles and was every bit as catchy. Even so, it's unique enough that only Harry could have made it a hit, let alone a multi-week #1. I've been waiting years for him to be at this level of stratospheric stardom and it's great to see it finally happen!
Previous EOY history: "Sign Of The Times" (#64, 2017), "Watermelon Sugar" (#45, 2020), "Golden" (#3, 2021 & #39, 2020)

14. Ed Sheeran "Celestial"

Right, let's have one more Ed Sheeran song, since two wasn't enough! 'Celestial' was exactly what I want from an artist like Ed: anthemic, melodic, and so uplifting that 'celestial' is actually a rather fitting name. I guess I can put up with his bigger songs never leaving the radio, if he keeps releasing a gem like this every so often!
Previous EOY history: "Don't" (#5, 2014), "Sing" (#30, 2014), "Thinking Out Loud" (#47, 2015), "Shape Of You" (#49, 2017), "Cross Me" (#20, 2019), "I Don't Care" (#37, 2019), "Overpass Graffiti" (#32, 2021), "Shivers" (#55, 2021), "Afterglow" (#62, 2021)

13. Post Malone & The Weeknd "One Right Now"
It's safe to say Post Malone is no longer in his prime; his singles are no longer guaranteed hits, he's showing a little less originality, and he's relying more on collabs from the likes of The Weeknd and Doja Cat. Well, despite 'One Right Now' being from November 2021, it really clicked with me in the spring of 2022 when it was finally peaking on airplay here in the US. The production was especially such a massive earworm for me. I won't go as far as calling it my fave, but it's definitely up there!
Previous EOY history for Post Malone: "Rockstar" (#59, 2017), "Psycho" (#7, 2018), "Better Now" (#23, 2018), "Jackie Chan" (#24, 2018), "Circles" (#17, 2019), "Goodbyes" (#18, 2019)
Previous EOY history for The Weeknd: "I Feel It Coming" (#2, 2017 and #29, 2016), "Pray For Me" (#14, 2018), "Power Is Power" (#40, 2019), "Heartless" (#1, 2020), "Blinding Lights" (#4, 2020), "In Your Eyes" (#50, 2020), "You Right" (#47, 2021), "Take My Breath" (#48, 2021), "Save Your Tears" (#63, 2021)

12. Tiesto & Ava Max "The Motto"

Sonically 'The Motto' is essentially a continuation of 'The Business', but having a familiar voice on this one really elevates it. In fact, this is Ava Max's fourth year with exactly one appearance in my EOY. She's gone a bit floppy in recent months but I'm hoping this won't be her last proper hit.
Previous EOY history for Tiesto: "Jackie Chan" (#24, 2018)
Previous EOY history for Ava: "Sweet But Psycho" (#11, 2019), "Kings & Queens" (#35, 2020), "My Head & My Heart" (#2, 2021)

11. Morgan Wallen "Wasted On You"

Somehow Morgan's obnoxious vocals are not a turn-off for me, and in fact I enjoyed 'Wasted On You' enough to be my #1 in September. I mildly regret that because it blocked a song that I ended up liking more, which is still to come. But anywho, it did live up to the hype it was getting when it was just an album track in early 2021, before he got himself cancelled and caused his label to sit on it for over a year, oof. Morgan's currently not projected to be in my EOY next year, but there's still 9 months for 'Last Night' or another of his 36 new songs to grow on me.
Previous EOY history: "Chasin' You" (#31, 2020)

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 29th May 2024, 01:46 PM