BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Debate: Is Western folklore not appreciated in Eurovision?
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
No more Fulenn, EAEA and Ulveham?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 6
Guests cannot vote 
uhsting
post 12th May 2024, 12:02 PM
Post #1
Group icon
CROWN THE WITCH
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

With Fulenn, EAEA and Ulveham flopping, one would think there is a tendency that Eurovision viewers do not enjoy Western folklore, though a notable exception is Ireland this year. Do you think that is the case? If not, why?

(Someone mentioned Telemoveis but their influence has Arabian roots rather than Western folklore)

Personally I find it hard to understand EAEA and Ulveham flopping as they got a vision to the performance and style (maybe not the recap slot for Norway). EAEA even had outstanding vocals too. Fulenn you could argue about the vocals.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 12th May 2024, 12:20 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739

From a personal POV absolutely - I mean, I'd take this year's Norwegian entry over Sweden's any day. I feel like it's partly due to the fact that Western European countries don't send many folklore entries, so when they do and it flops, it's more noticeable. Spirit In The Sky got Norway a 6th place finish not that long ago and that's got some folklore influences, while it's obviously not to the same extent as Ulveham this year I think it's a sign that there is interest. I'm sure if places like France and Spain sent folk-influenced acts as often as Ukraine, for example, they'd have a hit at some point, it's just a shame that so many seem to be scared to try something a bit more daring! Manifesting more Western countries pulling an Ireland next year tho, especially the UK.

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 12th May 2024, 12:30 PM
Post #3
Group icon
CROWN THE WITCH
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

Now that you reminded me of Spirit in the Sky, Higher Ground is also another one of the more successful Eurovision entry with a Western folklore influence. Both songs seem to be way more accessible and pop (though for me not necessarily much preferred), so I guess we need some pop production to them? But then does it become less authentic?

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 12th May 2024, 01:47 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Yes. People expect basic bops from thr wrst, not folklore unfortunately. Eaea should have won or come top 3, let's face it.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 12th May 2024, 08:37 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Fulenn was incredible but should be excluded here because even as a massive stan of it I can admit those vocals were garbage.

I think the implication is that eastern folk does better but ultimately in my view they just are more open to sending folk inspired songs so we don’t tend to notice the misses and „flops“ as much as we do when a western state tries something different. It’s a quantity thing I think. Ukraine are probably the best at it because look at Shum. That is the most mental 60 seconds of any ESC entry in the modern era it’s amazing. Armenia this year had an incredible front woman to it who’s Charisma drew you in first and foremost. She was pure energy.

Even Greece went a little folky and did alright for themselves.

Volume and the performer is the key imo. (Because yes, y’all are right to mention Keniio. Spirit in the Sky is a perfect example of super engaging and charismatic performers that happened to have a folk song. They would have made a hit of Fuleen I think)

+Quote this post
p a v
post 13th May 2024, 09:20 AM
Post #6
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

Exactly. The ‘East’ sends traditional sounds ALL the time and they flop a lot as well. France and Spain send it ONCE in a century and it somehow proves something? Girl give me a break

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 13th May 2024, 11:58 AM
Post #7
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
Pronouns: he/him
User: 8,674

Fulenn, EAEA and Ulveham were some of the worst entries of their respective contests for me, so I'd be very happy if the West steer clear of these types of songs in the future.

I didn't buy Norway as such a safe qualifier as everyone else, but I'm still surprised it came last in the final. The televote result for 'EAEA' was justice, that was just a really unpleasant listening experience.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 13th May 2024, 02:43 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Going to say neutral, I think it is and isn't but agree it needs to have a more pop/digestible to the mainstream element to really fly, like Spirit in the Sky and Higher Ground, or even When Spirits Are Calling My Name if you go further back.

If it doesn't have that then clearly it does usually get paid dust. I'm still gutted for Gåte, but then I didn't vote for it, it was about my 7th favourite, so I'm hardly in a position to complain. Surprised all the juries ranked it so low though.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: 13th May 2024, 02:43 PM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd May 2024, 07:50 PM