BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> With regards to the Spin-Off...
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
RabbitFurCoat
post 20th May 2009, 10:22 AM
Post #41
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118

I also find it amusing that people were against remixes because the 'usual suspects' would just be sent and yet in the foreign contest reservation list there's Charlotte Perelli, J-Lo, Nelly F, Shakira, Tatu and Sigur Ros. Oh the IRONY! :\

This post has been edited by RabbitFurCoat: 20th May 2009, 10:22 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
6weeksatnumber7
post 20th May 2009, 10:22 AM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 4,604

The spin-offs are a bit of fun to lighten the mood of what can become a very serious BJSC at times.

Treat them as such and don't over-analyse.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 20th May 2009, 10:34 AM
Post #43
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

Just to reply on one point of the previous post by RFC - foreign music doesn't stand on its place and new songs are being released every week, like in the UK and considering that many fresh foreign languages songs have been entered I doubt people will only want to stick with their 'favourite' foreign language song/don't have any OTHER favourite FL song. It's not like "Crap, I wanted to send this song to the main contest but it was enterred to the spin-off", only 5 people to the max each contest consider the non-english entry, if there is one case of a person claiming what i said in " " after this contest - it's nothing of a problem IMO, if 10 - then you're probably right, but i hardly doubt that there's going to be such a massive intersection. Of course, people who are not taking part in it are not this possible 10.

Noone's complaining so far btw.

This post has been edited by Pavel: 20th May 2009, 10:36 AM

+Quote this post
Silas
post 20th May 2009, 10:38 AM
Post #44
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

The spin off is still happening.

Just so we are clear.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 20th May 2009, 02:07 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

QUOTE(Jonny @ May 19 2009, 10:24 PM) *
What I don't understand is; why don't people enter these songs for the normal contests? If there are so many people with foreign songs why don't they just send them to regular BJSCs? They must rate the song enough to send it to one contest and I see why no reason why people would judge it differently whatever contest it has been entered into. Why do we need a completely different contest for people to send these songs?

I agree Jonny, and I wish more people would take risks in the normal contest, it would make it a lot more interesting ohmy.gif

I take risks all the time in the regular contest and I'd get bored if I sent loads of safe songs, where's the fun in sending a song that loads of people/nearly everybody already know unsure.gif in recent months, the song choices have been getting safer and safer and far more predictable than they used to be...I could probably already reel off ten songs that will undoubtedly be sent to XVII by just looking at the release list to see what the big future UK singles are...Cascada, Jordin Sparks, Frankmusik/Tinchy Stryder, Gathania and JLS are all near certainties to pop up at some point because they will obviously be BJSC friendly but they will all be very boring and uninspired choices of entries sad.gif

BJSC has always primarily been about discovering new music for me, music I wouldn't get the chance to hear elsewhere and would likely never discover without the contest, so I'm quite happy to enter this foreign songs spin-off because I have never heard of any of the songs confirmed so far so there is a lot of scope for discovering new stuff here biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 20th May 2009, 02:33 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Jonny @ May 19 2009, 10:42 PM) *
I never saw the point in the contest as winning per se, I always thought the point was introducing people to new music?

I think that people take the statement 'introducing people to new music' in two different ways;

1) finding a MySpace track, random artist, foreign single, instrumental, b-side, remix etc...that nobody else is likely to have heard, and sharing it with everybody else via the contest

2) picking a track that is due for release in the next few weeks that is indeed 'new music' but is something we would have all discovered a few hours/days/weeks later without the contest anyway

the latter option becoming the norm is rather diluting the novelty of the contest in the first place for me and is one of many reasons I considered leaving a couple of months back and why I stepped down as mod...I am more than happy to participate but I'm nowhere near as enthusiastic as I once was about the songs as I already know over half of them already these days before I've even sat down to listen to them laugh.gif Obviously there are people like Ben who have always always known most of the songs beforehand due to listening to a huge variety and volume of music, but I personally never used to know more than 5 or 6 songs in the contest before

+Quote this post
Cal
post 20th May 2009, 02:35 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 5,964

Well, I just picked a foreign song for the main contest, so I wonder how it'll do. It'll be my 6th overall entry, but the 4th foreign language one. Epic failure again. heehee.gif

This post has been edited by Cæl: 20th May 2009, 02:36 PM

+Quote this post
Damon
post 20th May 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,784

QUOTE(gooddelta @ May 20 2009, 03:07 PM) *
I take risks all the time in the regular contest and I'd get bored if I sent loads of safe songs, where's the fun in sending a song that loads of people/nearly everybody already know unsure.gif in recent months, the song choices have been getting safer and safer and far more predictable than they used to be...I could probably already reel off ten songs that will undoubtedly be sent to XVII by just looking at the release list to see what the big future UK singles are...Cascada, Jordin Sparks, Frankmusik/Tinchy Stryder, Gathania and JLS are all near certainties to pop up at some point because they will obviously be BJSC friendly but they will all be very boring and uninspired choices of entries sad.gif

I agree with this tbh, I usually do send stuff on the release schedule or stuff that's recently been on it these days, but I do try to make it songs that are a little less "obvious", songs that probably won't be heard by the majority unless they go to great lengths to check everything on the schedule out. People may or may not like them, but at least I know i've given people the chance to actually check them out, and I actually prefer that and losing out in the semi final or finishing bottom 8 than choosing something off the schedule by an artist that's already known to BJ. I dunno, if i was to succeed with one of my entries these days, even going top 15 in the final, i'd be amazingly happy with that, much happier than i'd be going top 5 with a song that's almost certainly going to be a top 40 hit in the next month or so.

+Quote this post
Damon
post 20th May 2009, 02:47 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,784

Oh and I won't be entering the spin-off, think i'll wait until BJSC17 or whatever number it is next laugh.gif

+Quote this post
p a v
post 20th May 2009, 02:55 PM
Post #50
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

QUOTE(Damon @ May 20 2009, 06:43 PM) *
I agree with this tbh, I usually do send stuff on the release schedule or stuff that's recently been on it these days, but I do try to make it songs that are a little less "obvious", songs that probably won't be heard by the majority unless they go to great lengths to check everything on the schedule out. People may or may not like them, but at least I know i've given people the chance to actually check them out, and I actually prefer that and losing out in the semi final or finishing bottom 8 than choosing something off the schedule by an artist that's already known to BJ. I dunno, if i was to succeed with one of my entries these days, even going top 15 in the final, i'd be amazingly happy with that, much happier than i'd be going top 5 with a song that's almost certainly going to be a top 40 hit in the next month or so.

I, obviously, agree absolutely too. Risks, risks and risks! ohmy.gif

wub.gif I hope your XVII entry will be as fantastic as were XVI and XV heart.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 20th May 2009, 03:13 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Pavel @ May 20 2009, 03:55 PM) *
I, obviously, agree absolutely too. Risks, risks and risks! ohmy.gif

wub.gif I hope your XVII entry will be as fantastic as were XVI and XV heart.gif

risks are just wub.gif

notice if I ever comment on a national final with safe songs/risks in it, I always support the risks heart.gif

just look at MKL, dropping Booty Luv in favour of Jessica Jarrell, who ended up finishing higher in the top ten despite being a complete unknown! It CAN be done w00t.gif

+Quote this post
Silas
post 20th May 2009, 03:27 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Queen of Soon

A unknown song can still be successful, it just takes the right one. At the end of the day, if you score points it means you've introduced people to an artist and song.

Hell the amount of music i have discovered through this contest and amazing artists. wub.gif theres so many more i've found in the search for entries. Some of my favourite songs have come from this contest, before i had a very closed music taste [just look at who i first entered] but now my 11most played tracks on my laptop are all by different people. 2years ago they were all Sugababes.

I have to thank Rich so much for the above tho, some of my favourite discoveries of the past 17months have come from the house of Rontvia.

This contest to me is about growing my music taste and discovering amazing new tracks and artists. In the past week i have discovered Tone, Molly, Girls Can't Catch and The Dolly Rockers all in the hunt for entries. To me, mining the release schedule for entries isn't in-keeping with the spirit of the contest, but as long as it isn't done in vast quantities i can live with it. As long as there is a good level of new discoveries Ashton will participate and we'll continue to send the healthy mix of entries we have done in the past.

I see this spin off as a perfect contest. For me every single track entered will be a discovery, mine was a discovery to me. Some of you may not agree with why we are having it, or with the theme, but you can never please everyone. In a normal contest we have 1/2/3 foreign language tracks compared to over 40 english tracks. In normal circumstances, most don't make it out the semi's so not everyone is exposed to a great deal of the tracks. Here you have to send an non english track, it's a good experiment i think. We will all find out here what kind of foriegn song will do well, and it could lead to an increased number of non english tracks in a contest which as far as i am concerned is a bloody good thing.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 20th May 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Is It True? @ May 20 2009, 04:27 PM) *
A unknown song can still be successful, it just takes the right one. At the end of the day, if you score points it means you've introduced people to an artist and song.

Hell the amount of music i have discovered through this contest and amazing artists. wub.gif theres so many more i've found in the search for entries. Some of my favourite songs have come from this contest, before i had a very closed music taste [just look at who i first entered] but now my 11most played tracks on my laptop are all by different people. 2years ago they were all Sugababes.

I have to thank Rich so much for the above tho, some of my favourite discoveries of the past 17months have come from the house of Rontvia.

This contest to me is about growing my music taste and discovering amazing new tracks and artists. In the past week i have discovered Tone, Molly, Girls Can't Catch and The Dolly Rockers all in the hunt for entries. To me, mining the release schedule for entries isn't in-keeping with the spirit of the contest, but as long as it isn't done in vast quantities i can live with it. As long as there is a good level of new discoveries Ashton will participate and we'll continue to send the healthy mix of entries we have done in the past.

I see this spin off as a perfect contest. For me every single track entered will be a discovery, mine was a discovery to me. Some of you may not agree with why we are having it, or with the theme, but you can never please everyone. In a normal contest we have 1/2/3 foreign language tracks compared to over 40 english tracks. In normal circumstances, most don't make it out the semi's so not everyone is exposed to a great deal of the tracks. Here you have to send an non english track, it's a good experiment i think. We will all find out here what kind of foriegn song will do well, and it could lead to an increased number of non english tracks in a contest which as far as i am concerned is a bloody good thing.

it will certainly be interesting to see the sort of songs that do well here...but I fear it will just be Shakira/Nelly Furtado/J Lo hogging up the top of the leaderboard sad.gif

how many of your 11 most played tracks are Rontvian entries kink.gif quite a few Ashton entries are in my top 100 most played on iTunes too wub.gif

+Quote this post
Silas
post 20th May 2009, 03:41 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Queen of Soon

QUOTE(gooddelta @ May 21 2009, 01:33 AM) *
it will certainly be interesting to see the sort of songs that do well here...but I fear it will just be Shakira/Nelly Furtado/J Lo hogging up the top of the leaderboard sad.gif

how many of your 11 most played tracks are Rontvian entries kink.gif quite a few Ashton entries are in my top 100 most played on iTunes too wub.gif

we have

Pixie - Here We Go Agian @ 4 [it was nearly your entry]
Uh Huh Her - Not A Love Song @ 7
Untouched - Smack Me @ 10
Emilíana Torrini - Jungle Drum @ 33
Mira Craig - Headhunted @ 77
Sound Of Arrows - MAGIC @ 92
Vincent - Miss Blue @ 98

All since the middle of Feb. Theres a couple i don't have, or have huge playcounts on my PC. [Like Smack Me.]

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 20th May 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #55
Group icon
Hello?

good god ohmy.gif

and also heart.gif

+Quote this post
All★bySmashMouth
post 20th May 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #56
Group icon
former insolent era FM11
Pronouns: he
User: 7,795

QUOTE(gooddelta @ May 20 2009, 03:07 PM) *
I agree Jonny, and I wish more people would take risks in the normal contest, it would make it a lot more interesting ohmy.gif

I've sent a song many people know at my first contest, but then, I took a risk one time, it didn't work, because you know why. sleep.gif

+Quote this post
nickthenoodle
post 20th May 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #57
Group icon
livin' legend you can look but don't touch
User: 4,844

kink.gif I've never used the release schedule to find an entry tongue.gif But then again I flop a lot biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 20th May 2009, 03:57 PM
Post #58
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

I have to say I'd far rather listen to songs I don't know than ones I do when it comes to BJSC. I gave my 12 to 'Armageddon' this month, but it's probably my 3rd favourite song from the contest behind 'Zero' (which I gave 1 point) and 'Ghosts' (3 points). I just really don't see what I achieve if I give my 12 to a song which I've known and loved for over two months before the contest started and has spent the last 6 weeks or so in my Personal Chart top 3, was recently a top 75 UK hit and by an act who'd had a top half finish in the previous contest.

I'd much rather show my appreciation and give my 12 to someone who's introduced an unknown as that's what I love about the contest most. If it was a song I already knew but was by a very unknown artist then I'd still give it big points (I gave 'Jungle Drum' an 8 in XV) but that didn't apply to 'Zero' at all really.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 20th May 2009, 03:57 PM
Post #59
Group icon
Queen of Soon

QUOTE(gooddelta @ May 21 2009, 01:47 AM) *
good god ohmy.gif

and also heart.gif

Normally my top 100 is really hard to crack, you need over 50plays.

Vincent is currently sitting on 30.

It should be about August before your more recent entries chart when i get home.

Other entries i have on my chart:

Give Me Sexy @ 6
Release Me @ 8
f*** You @ 9 & 25
Back To The Start @ 12
Say It @ 15 & 65
I'm The One @ 17
Trash Me @ 19
The Fear @ 21 & 49 & 75
Never Be Good @ 24
Love Story @ 37
Untouched @ 55
Up @ 56
Ice @ 57
Hook Me Up @ 60 & 63
Will You Remember Me Tomorrow @ 62
Eat You Up @ 64
Wind It @ 67
That Beep @ 69
Colour Me Dirty @ 71
I Get Around @ 80
Someday Soon @ 81
This Can't Be Love @ 86
I Kissed A Girl @ 95

Most of which BJSC introduced to me

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 20th May 2009, 03:58 PM
Post #60
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

QUOTE(FunMaker11 @ May 20 2009, 04:54 PM) *
I've sent a song many people know at my first contest, but then, I took a risk one time, it didn't work, because you know why. sleep.gif

To be fair there's taking a risk and then there's sending Mario! laugh.gif

Although it was actually an OK song, far better than I was expecting it to be anyway.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 16th May 2024, 12:51 PM