BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Ansel's 2022 Countdown, top songs underway - counting down the top ten!
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Sergej
post 15th December 2022, 08:55 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

I like seeing "The Loneliest Time", "Dawn FM" and "Midnights" in your album year-end lists!
All three albums amazing!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 16th December 2022, 08:03 AM
Post #22
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

ROSALÍA, Shygirl and Tove Lo have been on repeat all year for me. All fantastic and would probably be high in my EOY albums if I did one.

I think Shygirl's just edges it for me though. It feels like she's in her own lane right now. Tove's released some really strong albums prior to this. Blue Lips, Queen of the Clouds are especially great and definitely worth deep diving into.

+Quote this post
Cornishswiftie98
post 16th December 2022, 02:50 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 135,907

Incredible list so far! Especially glad about the comments on Taylor Swift, as well as Piri & Tommy. smile.gif

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 17th December 2022, 06:55 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739

QUOTE(LewisGT @ Dec 15 2022, 09:51 PM) *
Yay for Charli being your #1 artist. Crash was such a brilliant album and really won me back after not really hearing any of her music when she fell out of the charts for a few years. I've since gone back and fell in love with her hyperpop era too. She was my most played artist on my Spotify Wrapped for this year but has already dropped to 3rd according to my Last.FM.

Dawn FM and Midnights are both great albums! I gave the ROSALÍA album a listen recently too. My favourite track was Bizcochito.

I'm glad you've become a Charli fan again! I love Crash but my hyperpop era is absolutely her best for me wub.gif Bizcochito is a great Rosalía fave too!

QUOTE(Sergej @ Dec 15 2022, 09:55 PM) *
I like seeing "The Loneliest Time", "Dawn FM" and "Midnights" in your album year-end lists!
All three albums amazing!

Yay, great choices!

QUOTE(k👠th @ Dec 16 2022, 09:03 AM) *
ROSALÍA, Shygirl and Tove Lo have been on repeat all year for me. All fantastic and would probably be high in my EOY albums if I did one.

I think Shygirl's just edges it for me though. It feels like she's in her own lane right now. Tove's released some really strong albums prior to this. Blue Lips, Queen of the Clouds are especially great and definitely worth deep diving into.

Yesss, absolute excellence heart.gif Shygirl really is on another level atm, I'm so excited to see where she goes next. I'll have to check out Tove's other albums too!

QUOTE(Cornishswiftie98 @ Dec 16 2022, 03:50 PM) *
Incredible list so far! Especially glad about the comments on Taylor Swift, as well as Piri & Tommy. smile.gif

Glad you're a Taylor fan! piri & tommy are great, 'beachin' is my favourite from them.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 17th December 2022, 07:32 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

3. Hold The Girl - Rina Sawayama

In third place is Rina Sawayama's Hold The Girl! Like her first album, it takes its influence from the 90s/00s, this time adding pop-rock, drum n bass and country. The lead single This Hell is filled with Shania Twain callbacks and is already an LGBT anthem, while the title track Hold The Girl draws on Like A Prayer era Madonna. Overall it's a great album that perfectly balances pop bangers with deeply personal emotion. While it doesn't quite compare to SAWAYAMA for me, it's still a great follow-up.

Biggest hit: This Hell (pk: #1 for 2 weeks)
Also worth a listen: Catch Me In The Air, Imagining, Frankenstein

2. RENAISSANCE - Beyoncé

The long wait for Beyoncé's next album was totally worth it. RENAISSANCE draws on decades of dance music, reclaiming a genre pioneered by the black community. The lead single BREAK MY SOUL was an uplifting house banger, while CUFF IT fits perfectly as part of the current disco revival. Other tracks delve deeper into different dance genres, such as PURE/HONEY and ALIEN SUPERSTAR. The whole album is a must-listen, from start to end.

Biggest hit: BREAK MY SOUL (pk: #5)
Also worth a listen: ALIEN SUPERSTAR, COZY, PURE/HONEY

1. CRASH - Charli XCX

Charli's sellout era could have been a disaster following her success with more experimental sounds - I really think 'how i'm feeling now' might be her magnum opus. But from the moment dark-pop synth banger Good Ones dropped, it became clear that Charli was playing with the pop album rulebook. As a pop music fan it's been hugely fun watching her roll out this album. The dark visuals definitely made this a memorable era. Tracks like Crash and New Shapes show that Charli's not totally given up her hyperpop influences, while Baby takes cues from Janet Jackson (finally delivering on the 'Janet album' Charli promised so many times!). Every Rule is a gorgeously synthy track about Charli cheating on her boyfriend (it's not a Charli album without at least one song about this), and Used To Know Me deserved to be a UK dance SMASH. I still remember the weekend this album came out, it was the middle of a heatwave and someone was playing Lightning on full volume in the park. Truly a cultural reset *.*

Biggest hit: Good Ones (pk: #1 for 3 weeks)
Also worth a listen: Every Rule, Used To Know Me, Baby

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 17th December 2022, 07:36 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I'm not much of an albums person but I have been exposed to a few songs off RENAISSANCE through the charts - seems quite different to anything Beyoncé has done before and quite refreshing as well!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 17th December 2022, 09:03 PM
Post #27
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

CRASH is an amazing choice for your #1 album of the year! wub.gif Harry's House and Midnights are my other favourites in what is a really strong list *.*

+Quote this post
bluemonday
post 17th December 2022, 09:12 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 121,843

Fantastic Top 2 Albums!
Beyonce is my Album of The Year

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 18th December 2022, 03:36 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Dec 17 2022, 08:36 PM) *
I'm not much of an albums person but I have been exposed to a few songs off RENAISSANCE through the charts - seems quite different to anything Beyoncé has done before and quite refreshing as well!

I'd agree it's quite a sound change for her! Definitely would recommend the whole album tbh.

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 17 2022, 10:03 PM) *
CRASH is an amazing choice for your #1 album of the year! wub.gif Harry's House and Midnights are my other favourites in what is a really strong list *.*

Yay, glad you think so! Great choices, all 3 are so so good <3

QUOTE(bluemonday @ Dec 17 2022, 10:12 PM) *
Fantastic Top 2 Albums!
Beyonce is my Album of The Year

Beyoncé is a great choice for album of the year, taste!

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 18th December 2022, 03:37 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

It's now finally time to start counting down my top songs of the year! There's really no system to how I've ordered these songs, it's loosely based on my last.fm list but with a lot of songs shuffled around based on personal taste. For each song I'll give a few quick chart stats too. Hopefully you see some of your favourites too!

100. Harry Styles - As It Was
Chart peak: 02 Sales: 621,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 11
Chart run: 4 - 2 - 4 - 8 - 13 - 19 - 28 - 31 - 33 - 34 - 34 - X
The lead single from Harry's House was a huge IRL smash and on my chart was no different! It just missed out on becoming a chart-topper, but I'm so glad it was such an instant hit for Harry following the lack of a UK #1 for the Fine Line era. For an 11-week chart run I'll admit this song is pretty low, but I do feel it's suffered from being so massive that I'm a bit tired of it now.

99. 100 gecs - Doritos & Fritos
Chart peak: 03 Sales: 506,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 10
Chart run: 9 - 3 - 4 - 7 - 15 - 24 - 31 - 31 - 32 - 37 - X
Gec gec gec! This song is slightly less pure hyperpop than the usual gecs output, delving more into a 90s pop-rock sound but with the usual AutoTune and bizarre lyrics. Hopefully the long-awaited 10000 gecs album is on its way soon, we've been waiting a while.

98. My Chemical Romance - The Foundations Of Decay
Chart peak: 07 Sales: 644,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 6
Chart run: 12 - 7 - 12 - 14 - 20 - 27 - X
My Chemical Romance's comeback was always going to be a big moment - provided it ever actually happened. I think it's incredibly easy to get a comeback wrong (and 90s/00s rock bands have an unfortunate habit of doing just that), but MCR's pivot towards a more post-rock sound (I think that's the right genre x) definitely paid off. It's probably closest to their debut album, even down to the 9/11-referencing lyrics. If they do decide to stay together, I hope we get more music like this.

97. RAYE ft. 070 Shake - Escapism.
Chart peak: 01 Sales: 506,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 2
Chart run: 1 - 3...
Escapism burst onto the scene just two weeks ago following its success on the UK chart. I'm really glad RAYE got a hit with this one - firstly it serves her old label right for wasting her talent for so long, and secondly it sounds so fresh and different to anything else in the charts right now. It'd be great if she can sustain this solo success.

96. Caroline Polachek - Welcome To My Island
Chart peak: 01 Sales: 230,000 (Silver) Weeks on chart: 5
Chart run: 5 - 1...
Now for what is probably the lowest-selling song in my top 100 (and yet it's placed above an 11-week song, we love the consistency)! Welcome To My Island is Caroline at her best and weirdest. There's a good amount of screaming, a guitar solo (played by Caroline, who can't play the guitar) interrupting the final chorus, and even a rap about her dad. I can't wait for her album. Also the video for this song is iconic pls go watch.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 19th December 2022, 05:48 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

95. Bree Runway - Pressure
Chart peak: 10 Sales: 483,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 5
Chart run: 18 - 10 - 15 - 20 - 29 - X
Bree Runway is the popstar we all need right now. Pressure has a slight afrobeats sound to it, and really grew on me after first being slightly underwhelmed. She rarely misses, and this was not one of those rare occasions.

94. Tove Lo - How Long
Chart peak: 22 Sales: 483,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 5
Chart run: 28 - 22 - 26 - 31 - 37 - X
This song never even made the top 20, but it was an extremely stable hit that served as my introduction to Tove's music. It's originally from the Euphoria soundtrack - I've never watched the show, but there's another song from the same soundtrack coming up soon!

93. Leony - Remedy
Chart peak: 06 Sales: 460,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 6
Chart run: 6 - 15 - 30 - 31 - 33 - 37 - X
I think this is the only non-Pestolian BJSC song here? Tbh I should probably try harder to chart my BJSC faves but I always forget. This one did pretty well though, after a pretty dramatic drop down the chart it stabilised in the 30s and hung around for a few weeks.

92. FLO - Cardboard Box
Chart peak: 15 Sales: 253,000 (Silver) Weeks on chart: 2
Chart run: 15 - 21 - X
Ok I didn't realise this only managed 2 weeks on my chart tearsmile.gif it's a great 00s R&B throwback tune, I really hope FLO can breakthrough now with the Brits Rising Star win. It'd be great to have another UK girl group smashing!

91. ROSALÍA - SAOKO
Chart peak: 07 Sales: 644,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 6
Chart run: 8 - 7 - 12 - 15 - 23 - 26 - X
SAOKO is a great example of the experimental sound ROSALÍA has settled into so well. Zigzagging between reggaeton, jazz, and who knows what, it's become a huge fave of mine. The lyrics are all about transformation and not being exactly what people see you as - it's an absolute anthem you have to sing (or shout) along to.

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 19th December 2022, 06:22 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Really like seeing "As It Was", "Escapism", "Welcome To My Island", "Remedy" (It was a huge radio hit here in Germany) and "Cardboard Box" in your list!
Great so far!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 19th December 2022, 08:22 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I'm just listening to Welcome To My Island, I'm getting quite into it! The contrast between the verse and the chorus is very nice.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 20th December 2022, 07:16 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Sergej @ Dec 19 2022, 07:22 PM) *
Really like seeing "As It Was", "Escapism", "Welcome To My Island", "Remedy" (It was a huge radio hit here in Germany) and "Cardboard Box" in your list!
Great so far!

Glad you were a fan of those ones, interesting to know Remedy was big in Germany!

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Dec 19 2022, 09:22 PM) *
I'm just listening to Welcome To My Island, I'm getting quite into it! The contrast between the verse and the chorus is very nice.

I'm absolutely LIVING for Welcome To My Island right now, glad you gave it a listen!

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 20th December 2022, 07:16 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

90. KAYTRANADA ft. Anderson .Paak - Twin Flame
Chart peak: 14 Sales: 391,000 (Silver) Weeks on chart: 6
Chart run: 14 - 14 - 19 - 22 - 29 - 30 - X
Twin Flame is a gorgeous 70s soul influenced song which sounds like an instant classic. It's so smooth and cool, I love Anderson .Paak's soul/funk sound and I would LOVE for that to be the next big revival.

89. Bree Runway - THAT GIRL
Chart peak: 02 Sales: 345,000 (Silver) Weeks on chart: 9
Chart run: 16 - 2 - 3 - 8 - 12 - 17 - 22 - 32 - 40 - X
This track feels a bit more hyperpop than the rest of Bree's recent work just based on the instrumental. I love this kind of song from Bree, just total self-confidence and deservedly so!

88. Lana Del Rey - Watercolor Eyes
Chart peak: 24 Sales: 391,000 (Silver) Weeks on chart: 4
Chart run: 25 - 24 - 33 - 36 - X
Watercolor Eyes might not have smashed on my chart, but it's such a beautiful track. I'm always here for this sort of thing from Lana, and right now I'm so excited for her upcoming album!

87. Kiesza - Passenger
Chart peak: 9 Sales: 690,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 8
Chart run: 20 - 9 - 12 - 14 - 20 - 25 - 28 - 40 - X
Passenger is very typical of what Kiesza's been doing recently - a great mid-tempo synth bop. Also is it just me or does she sound *incredibly* like Ariana when she sings "I'm a passenger"?

86. Conan Gray - Memories
Chart peak: 8 Sales: 483,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 7
Chart run: 19 - 12 - 8 - 13 - 24 - 29 - 39 - X
Conan's latest album was honestly a huge disappointment for me - he's generally a bit hit-or-miss but I just found it very dull bar all the singles. This, however, is a great ballad about wanting someone from your past to stay in the past.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 21st December 2022, 06:59 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

85. Bree Runway - Somebody Like You
Chart peak: 13 Sales: 483,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 5
Chart run: 13 - 15 - 18 - 25 - 28 - X
Somebody Like You sits somewhere between Kate Bush and Phil Collins, a drum-heavy dramatic ballad. It's a reminder that, as Bree often says, she's a POPSTAR, not just "the next rap girl" which unfairly boxes her into a genre that only makes up a section of her varied soundscape.

84. Steve Lacy - Bad Habit
Chart peak: 7 Sales: 368,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 9
Chart run: 29 - 7 - 8 - 13 - 19 - 31 - 37 - 34 - 38 - X
Bad Habit wasn't a song I expected to blow up - proud to say I got there first kink.gif overall Steve's album wasn't as good as his previous work for me (Apollo XXI outsold) but I'm glad he's become a deserved frontrunner in the R&B scene.

83. Khalid - Skyline
Chart peak: 12 Sales: 276,000 (Silver) Weeks on chart: 3
Chart run: 34 - 12 - 25 - X
Khalid has been boring for a while tbh. I loved American Teen and (to a lesser extent) Free Spirit, but this never-ending droplets era he's been doing for the last few years hasn't turned out many interesting songs. Until Skyline came along - a disco revival track that sounds tailor-made for Dua Lipa (and that SG Lewis style production 😍). Suddenly Khalid is serving choreo, visuals, disco bops, truly the next main pop guy. The followup Satellite was also a great track, though it just missed out on this countdown.

82. MØ - Spaceman
Chart peak: 2 Sales: 575,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 10
Chart run: 2 - 3 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 10 - 13 - 19 - 24 - 30 - X
If we have to have pointless samples in every hit song, why couldn't this be massive? It's essentially a Babylon Zoo cover but with MØ's pop-perfection twist. Definitely one of the best songs about spacemen released this year.

81. FKA twigs ft. Shygirl - papi bones
Chart peak: 3 Sales: 667,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 8
Chart run: 3 - 6 - 8 - 16 - 19 - 25 - 34 - 39 - X
Twigs and Shy together on a song turned out to be exactly the earth-shattering-poles-reversing-careers-ending-record-breaking-weave-decimating-culture-resetting smash it would appear to be on paper. It's a massively danceable banger filled with CAPRISONG energía.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 21st December 2022, 07:02 PM
Post #37
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Hey there Ansel hi.gif all caught up now, I personally love the graphics, the colouring gives me a warm 70s vibe *.*

2021 recap: Yay 'Good Days' and 'The Last Man On Earth' (both personal chart #1s for me) and 'Torna a casa' was a great Måneskin pick <3 so happy they've released a new song in Italian this week!

Top artists/albums: I also really enjoyed those 2022 projects from FKA Twigs, The Weeknd, Shygirl, ROSALÍA, Beyoncé, Taylor and Rina - the taste wub.gif interesting to hear how ubiquitous ROSALÍA is in Spain! I went there every year from about 2002-15 (due to my Spanish great grandma having a flat there) which of course predates her albums, one day I am determined to go back and hear her in the wild! kink.gif

Best new artist: Did a double take when I saw Tove Lo here but makes more sense with your reasoning! 'Pineapple Slice' and 'No One Dies From Love' are my two biggest highlights from the album too *.* I was obsessed with 'Cool Girl' and 'True Disaster' by her back in 2016 too, but she first caught my attention with her haunting U.K. smash 'Stay High (Habits Remix)' from 2014 <3 also loving the shoutout for FLO, I hope they can have a proper commercial break-through as they're so talented and their throwback R&B sound is gorgeous! Lastly, I was obsessed with the Skream remix of 'beachin' by piri & tommy in the summer <3

Then my favourites from your song countdown so far:
100. Harry Styles - As It Was
98. My Chemical Romance - The Foundations Of Decay
96. Caroline Polachek - Welcome To My Island
94. Tove Lo - How Long
92. FLO - Cardboard Box
91. ROSALÍA - SAOKO
90. KAYTRANADA feat. Anderson .Paak - Twin Flame
88. Lana Del Rey - Watercolor Eyes
84. Steve Lacy - Bad Habit
81. FKA twigs feat. Shygirl - papi bones

What a fantastic start heart.gif looking forward to seeing how this continues to unfold!

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 21st December 2022, 08:29 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Nice to see "Bad Habit" and "Skyline" on here as well!

+Quote this post
bluemonday
post 22nd December 2022, 11:32 AM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 121,843

So far I love papi bones, SAOKO, As it was, Welcome To My Island and Escapism. Great List!

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 24th December 2022, 07:38 AM
Post #40
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

Welcome To My Island making it despite only being a couple weeks old

Thoroughly deserved though! It's shot up around 30 spots on my chart this week to #2. Amazing track but do we expect anything less from our good sis?

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 12th May 2024, 03:06 AM