BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 🔥 Thermo's hot hits | EOY 2023 🔥, Hottest 200; complete recap pg.6
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
danG
post 7th December 2023, 09:44 PM
Post #1
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

🔥 Thermo's hot hits | EOY 2023 🔥

Merry Listmas! cheer.gif

Now that Wrapped is out, it is the time of the year where we reflect on the year that has just passed. throughout the month of Dancember I will be counting down the top songs of the past 12 months as based on my point system.
Until the countdown is finalised, over the next week I will start by going through some of my favourite album releases of the year eventually culminating in my crowning of Album of the Year.

Before anything though, let's take a look at last year's top ten singles.

01 Shouse ~ Won't Forget You
02 Redondo and Senders ~ All My Lovin'
03 Bon Entendeur ~ Alba [feat. Sofiane Pamart]
04 Grum ~ Don't Look Down [feat. Natalie Shay]
05 Lane 8 ~ What Have You Done To Me? [feat. Arctic Lake]
06 Driftmoon ~ Nova Imperatrix
07 LF System ~ Afraid To Feel
08 Embrz ~ Where You Are [feat. Lizzy Land]
09 Aukai ~ Cloudline [Parra for Cuva Reimagination]
10 Mr. Belt & Wezol ~ Broken Moonlight [feat. Yasmin Jane]

After reaching EOY #2 with 'Love Tonight' in 2021, Shouse went one better with 'Won't Forget You' last year to comfortably take the title for Song of the Year. They had two further #1 hits in 2023 so perhaps they could contend again? The year also saw #1s for the year's biggest mainstream dance hits by Calvin Harris, Peggy Gou and Billy Gillies. Gareth Emery earned another #1 here too, alongside a fair few of my BJSC entries.

I will also be bringing back the 'Mainstream chart', a special chart consisting only of my favourite songs that reached the UK top 100 (in an attempt to get some more comments by focusing on songs you're more likely to have heard of)

Now let's take a quick look at the current hall of fame:

Songs of the Year
2010: Yolanda Be Cool & D Cup - We No Speak Americano
2011: LMFAO (feat. Lauren Bennett & GoonRock) - Party Rock Anthem
2012: Psy - Gangnam Style
2013: Avicii (feat. Aloe Blacc) - Wake Me Up
2014: Mr. Probz - Waves (Robin Schulz Radio Edit)
2015: Avicii (feat. Simon Aldred) - Waiting For Love
2016: Kungs vs. Cookin' On 3 Burners (feat. Kylie Auldist) - This Girl
2017: Jax Jones (feat. Raye) - You Don't Know Me
2018: Avicii (feat. Rita Ora) - Lonely Together
2019: Avicii (feat. Chris Martin) - Heaven
2010s: Avicii (feat. Etta James) - Levels

2020: Boris Brejcha (feat. Laura Korinth) - Gravity
2021: Grandbrothers - What We See
2022: Shouse - Won't Forget You

Albums of the Year
2011: Nero - Welcome Reality
2012: Calvin Harris - 18 Months
2013: Avicii - True
2014: Calvin Harris - Motion
2015: Avicii - Stories
2016: Rihanna - Anti
2017: Avicii - Avīci
2018: Above & Beyond - Common Ground
2019: Avicii - Tim
2010s: Avicii - True

2020: Gareth Emery - The Lasers
2021: Porter Robinson - Nurture
2022: Gareth Emery - Analog

Previous threads
2010s
2022 | 2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 8th December 2023, 08:14 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Exciting stuff! I suspect there'll be a lot I don't know on your list so ready to hopefully make some discoveries!

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 8th December 2023, 09:41 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

I'm always excited for your Year-End lists!

+Quote this post
danG
post 9th December 2023, 10:37 PM
Post #4
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

Album of the Year Contender: Le Youth - About Us

A second-time appearance for Le Youth here to start us off, following last year's debut album "Reminders". The album alongside a string of loose singles at the start of the year allowed Le Youth in my Top 5 artists of the year in Spotify Wrapped. I did think "Reminders" was a stronger effort overall but this was a lovely follow-up anyhow showing Le Youth is still one of the top players in melodic house. The collaboration with label boss Lane 8 was undeniably the big hit here which will be making appearance in the singles chart.

Charting songs from the album:

05 I Will Leave a Light On [with Lane 8 feat. Jyll]
28 Like You Did
29 Talking Like That [feat. Emme]
53 I Don't Mind [feat. Kairos Grove]
78 Morning Light

QUOTE(https://edmidentity.com/2023/10/02/le-youth-makes-sophomore-album-all-about-us/)
Le Youth’s second album on This Never Happened is finally here. Buckle up, because it’s going to be an emotional ride.

A melodic marvel and a man of the people, Le Youth has continuously made music that touches the soul and defines what it means to be an artist. His craft transcends beyond sound, with his energy lighting up the entire room like one collective hug. The Los Angeles-based producer and label owner has won over the hearts of many with his emotive style and warm, humble nature. His infectious spirit bleeds into every song he makes, and his sophomore album About Us, which was released under This Never Happened, feels like swimming in the inner workings of his heart.

Le Youth is no stranger to Lane 8‘s coveted record label. Since his TNH debut in 2019, he has continuously released magic under the imprint, with his debut album Reminders solidifying him as a mainstay. Over the last year, Le Youth revealed his second album was on the way by dropping singles like “Like You Did,” “Talking Like That,” “Don’t Mind,” and “I Will Leave a Light On.” He sprinkled these into our summer playlists like fairy dust, leaving us spellbound and eager for more. Well, have no fear, because the wait is finally over.

About Us is Le Youth’s most raw and authentic body of work to date. It is a story written for the people, symbolizing the intimate connections we all share to the music and each other. We all have a story. We all share in the heartbreak, the beauty, and the joy that envelops the human condition. Earlier this year, Le Youth embarked on the About Us tour, an intimate project that put him in the crowd to celebrate the art of being human with us, becoming a beautiful embodiment of the album’s heart.

I made this album for me and for us, for your headphones and for your car, for your flight in the window seat to see your best friend. I made it for our late nights when the world is asleep and I made it for Brianna and Bodhi. I made it for your break up. I even made it for my exes. I made it for my parents. I made it for my friends. I made it for the rooftop party. I made it for the club and I made it for the afters. So many reasons, but mainly I made it for us.
Le Youth
About Us begins with “Back Around,” a breathtaking introduction that pulls at the heartstrings, with Fractures‘ soothing vocals echoing the sentiment of being drawn to another in ways that can’t be explained. The airy, whimsical build features familiar, progressive synths that lead into a drop meant for ethereal backdrops and shimmering dance floors. It elicits immediate goosebumps. “Us In The Weeds” flickers in with a similarly nostalgic soundscape, but with lyrics that could hit you like a train if you aren’t ready. Jodie Knight’s voice, both hauntingly beautiful and delicate, sings of what was supposed to be a forever love coming to an end. Both songs embody what it means to love, two chapters of the same story that many hearts know all too well.

“Refracted” feels like an emotional palate cleanse. It lifts the vibes back up with its blissful nature and calls for a solo living room dance party. As I closed my eyes, I was transported to vast, grassy fields with pink, fluorescent skies and nothing but the music to make my heart swell. “Like You Did” was my absolute favorite of all the singles that were released. I’m sure I am not alone in this sentiment, either. The vocals are just begging to be sung at the top of your lungs, and to share that collectively with a crowd is a feeling unlike anything else.

Although About Us is a work of art from start to finish, two tracks in particular left a lasting imprint on me. “You And I” moved me to tears with its euphoric melody and poetic verses. It resonated deeply with some of my deeply held core memories, leaving me feeling so seen and understood. When I find music like this, I bathe in it for months, and this song will be played on repeat until my heart is content. “I Don’t Mind” also moved me profoundly, filling me with hope that love like that is for all of us. After all, it’s all about us.

+Quote this post
danG
post 11th December 2023, 03:26 PM
Post #5
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

Album of the Year Contender: Sub Focus - Evolve

A long-awaited solo record from Sub Focus now, with it being his first since 2013 though he also had a collaborative record with Wilkinson in 2020. Sub Focus certainly helped put drum and bass back on the map with 'Ready To Fly' being one of the year's biggest tunes and there's plenty more like it on the album too.

11 Ready To Fly [with Dimension feat. Jo Hill]
14 Calling For A Sign [feat. Kelli-Leigh]
33 Vibration (One More Time) [feat. Ar/Co]
47 Fine Day [feat. Jo Hill]
83 Off the Ground [feat. Poppy Baskcomb]

QUOTE(https://www.edmsauce.com/2023/05/15/sub-focus-drops-highly-anticipated-album-evolve-it-does-not-disappoint/)
Evolve is the third full-length solo LP by the acclaimed, London-based electronic music producer and artist, Sub Focus. The new album follows his 2009 debut Sub Focus, 2013’s Torus, and the collaborative album Portals with Wilkinson in 2020. Evolve features 14 tracks, including the recent UK Top 30 hit “Ready To Fly” with Dimension.

Of the album, Sub Focus says: “Having grown up in the 90’s, I was inspired to channel elements of my musical evolution over the course of this album; from dance acts that introduced me to electronic music like The Chemical Brothers through to the early hardcore and jungle music I was discovering back then. I worked with some of my heroes at the inception of those genres like Jonny L through to modern dance heavyweights like Camelphat, using some elements that evoked nostalgia but with modern day production. Drum & Bass has never felt stronger or more popular as a genre and I’m proud to have been a part of such a thriving scene for so long. I’ve dabbled with multiple genres in the past but this time I wanted to make an album that speaks to my D&B core, with breakbeats laced through every track as a backbone.”

Known for his discerning approach to handpicking collaborators, Sub Focus has enlisted a raft of respected musicians and artists to join him on the album. Artists who have collaborated with him on Evolve include dance music heavyweights Camelphat, rave music veteran Jonny L, Chicago legend Gene Farris, rising electronic artists AR/CO & Hayla, up and coming UK band LOWES, as well as fellow Drum & Bass producers Culture Shock, Metrik and Dimension.

Sub Focus will perform his monumental live show at a sold-out OVO Arena, Wembley on 18th March – his biggest UK show in his hometown to date. The show will be the second-ever UK performance of Circular Sound: his acclaimed, spellbinding audiovisual live production with a moving disc of light, created with long term collaborator Zak Norman of Black Box Echo and Zeal live – the minds behind Bicep’s acclaimed live shows. The show is set to be one of the biggest events in the UK dance music calendar and is a testament to Sub Focus' enduring popularity. Support acts for the night come courtesy of chart-topping rising D&B star Goddard, 1991 and AMA.

The album artwork for Evolve takes inspiration from nature, combining it with cutting-edge Artificial Intelligence. Of the process behind the art, Sub Focus says: “To create the artwork I came up with the idea of training an AI on photos of Nudibranchs – this type of tiny multi-colored sea slugs I came across when diving in Indonesia. The AI came back with these crazy abstract images resembling different organic elements – hearts, brains, lungs and even trees or jellyfish. I like to think that the machine was channeling the same kind of natural geometry that emerged when all of these organisms first evolved.”

+Quote this post
danG
post 11th December 2023, 04:16 PM
Post #6
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

Album of the Year Contender: Grandbrothers - Late Reflections

Grandbrothers are German electronic duo who base their compositions around the grand piano and any sound effects they can make with it. You may recall their track 'What We See' took the title for EOY #1 single in 2021. Following up 'All the Unknown' which wasn't their debut album but the first I'd heard of theirs after discovering them, it's not quite as great as the previous album (which seems to be a theme this year) however works very well as a full length album listen even if there's only a small handful of pieces that work more as standalone singles (see: the 2 songs of theirs that made my top 2). 'North/South' particularly we could see very high up the EOY singles chart though I link to 'Infinite' below as it actually has a visualiser showcasing the cathedral they recorded the album at.

01 North/South
02 Infinite
15 On Solid Ground
23 Daybreak

QUOTE(https://beatsperminute.com/album-review-grandbrothers-late-reflections/)
For Grandbrothers’ latest album, location is key – so important in fact that the record probably would not have existed without it. Approached by architect Peter Füssenich, the duo (consisting of German-Turkish pianist Erol Sarp and Swiss engineer/software designer Lukas Vogel) were asked if they wanted to perform a concert in one of Germany’s most visited tourist attractions: Cologne Cathedral. Accepting the unexpected invite, the duo started working on music, rehearsing in the space throughout the night. Normally the gothic cathedral would attract some 20,000 people a day, but, in its reverberating halls under cover of darkness, the duo were alone.

This solitude rings out poignantly on Late Reflections; on good speakers or with close listening you can hear the natural 13-second reverb in action, piano notes trilling out to every corner and crevice of the building. (The album title itself refers to the acoustic terminology of delayed and diffused reflections of sound.) The staccato chords and robotic percussion of “North/South” resonate starkly while the hymnal ambience of “Yokohama Rascals” hums like the building speaking back to Sarp and Vogel. The album’s best feature might be the quality of the music: these sonic vibrations of noise sound positively HD at times, and simply couldn’t have been made anywhere else.

Late Reflections is also a piano album through and through: all the music here was created using said instrument. “We use the piano as a sound source, and then we go with digital effects and manipulate it further,” Vogel expounds. Sometimes the central instrument itself is enough for the richly rewarding sound (the settling, rippling chords on final track “Boy In The Storm” for instance), but other times the manipulated effects take the focus. The whirring percussive track on “Infinite” evokes early múm while the Hans Zimmer-esque whomps of “Adrift” repeatedly threaten to swallow the track. While not always varied enough for a whole record, there is plenty of detail to listen out for across the album.

Where the record does leave something to be desired is where it goes with its ideas. Opening track “Daybreak” has chords that could fit nicely in a Europop dance track (and hark back to the duo’s earlier club-influenced work), and while it does conjure scenes of sunlight peering through the cathedral windows, it feels like it’s wanting to expand more outward.

A couple of tracks at the album’s back end also suffer a similar fate, making for a less engaging second half: “Bloom” ebbs and flows across five minutes, but travels a short distance; “Vertigo” tries to find a stark point to build to, but instead of traversing church spire height, it feels little less vertigo-inducing than a moderately tall staircase.

Still, Sarp knows how to hone in on those delicious-sounding chords, the ones that sound angular and jaggy, but reverberate with a certain profundity. The music here lies somewhere between Hauschka’s prepared piano compositions and Ludovico Einaudi’s filmic scope. “Infinite” even manages to go from sounding curiously like “Don’t Stop Believin’” in its intro to capturing the blissful drone-like high of f*** Buttons’ 2009 album Tarot Sport. It’s one of those moments where everything sounds in sync: the duo speaking seamlessly to each other and with the cathedral too. With arpeggios shimmering they ascend upwards and outwards. It’s Grandbrothers’ music as much as it is Cologne Cathedral’s.

+Quote this post
danG
post 13th December 2023, 04:33 PM
Post #7
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

Album of the Year Contender: Tensnake - Stimulate

Another producer who ended up in my top 5 artists on Spotify wrapped thanks to a long string of singles released from this album - Tensnake had been around in my chart from day 1 when 'Coma Cat' was a big track however 2023 was his most prominent year yet. Containing two outstanding nu-disco tracks which will be contending in the EOY singles chart for a top 20 placing. Although containing five top 40 hits, ultimately this does more of the feeling of a singles compilation with the very few album tracks here not being quite so good so I can't really hand the AOTY title to it.

05 Take Your Time (Do It Right) [feat. Teira]
07 Rooftop [with Drama]
20 Mind Talking [feat. Nazzereene]
24 How Will I Know
38 Better Without You [feat. Nazzereene]
69 Sunshine [feat. Panama]
73 Keep It Secret [feat. Jessy Lanza]
78 Fiesta Mágica

QUOTE(https://www.armadamusic.com/music/stimulate)
Few know how to put a zeitgeist into sound like German DJ and producer Tensnake. For the deluxe version of his new body of work — written and produced during and directly after the pandemic — the German artist extraordinaire tapped into the conflicting emotions to soundtrack a world in stasis. And at this intersection of past, present and future, he illustrates the power of music to connect, heal and inspire with his fourth artist album: ‘Stimulate’.

A mélange of modern disco, house and electronic pop captained by eargasmic songs such as ‘Mind Talking’, ‘Better Without You’ and collaborations with talented artists such as DRAMA, Panama, Nazzereene, Jessy Lanza, Teira, Ninetails and Kid Enigma, ‘Stimulate’ isn’t just a testament to the indomitable Tensnake style. “It's a tribute to our collective resilience,” Marco Niemerski(Tensnake) says. “

Its nostalgic undertones reflect on times gone by while its pulsing beats inspire a dance towards the future. It's a musical journey born from quiet streets and restless hearts, a vibrant echo of life even when the world stood still.”

Across its fourteen equally infectious tracks, the album draws from the globally shared experience of the pandemic, channels the nostalgia and quietude of that time, and offers listeners both a reflective space and a joyful escape. And what the people desired most during the pandemic is what this album hands on a disco-infused platter: irresistible audial stimuli that bridge the gap between the old world and the new.

+Quote this post
danG
post 13th December 2023, 04:38 PM
Post #8
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

Album of the Year Contender: Disclosure - Alchemy

A bit of a surprise album release here came from Disclosure who announced they'd gone independent and came up with the challenge to produce an album with no guest vocalists or samples. It made for a more cohesive album listen than their previous album, though ultimately didn't produce as many chart hits as there were two songs here that stood out the most. Nothing here I absolutely loved really but I gotta hand it to them for still going strong ten years after their debut.

10 Looking For Love
13 Higher Than Ever Before
91 We Were In Love

QUOTE(https://www.nme.com/reviews/album/disclosure-alchemy-review-tracklist-lyrics-3470515)
It’s hard to believe a decade has passed since Disclosure altered the course of British electronic music. After bursting onto the scene with 2010 EP ‘Offline Dexterity’ and 2012’s ‘Tenderly/Flow’, the brothers’ 2013 debut album ‘Settle’ transformed them into festival headliners virtually overnight. While DJ Mag described their house and garage sound as the “antithesis to EDM”, the record spawned some huge crossover hits and ascended the careers of Sam Smith (‘Latch’), Aluna (‘White Noise’) and Jessie Ware (‘Running’). Against the retro-throwback of Daft Punk’s ‘Random Access Memories’, the pair offered a vision of a future

Ten years on, Guy and Howard Lawrence have rekindled some of that back-to-basics for their fourth album. Their first independent release, the surprise-dropped ‘Alchemy’ has no samples or guest vocalists, and instead finds Howard using his own vocals and lyrics more than ever before. A daring decision, perhaps, but this new, more personal approach mostly pays off.

Written while the British duo were at two contrasting points in their lives – recently-married Guy was settling into a new home in Los Angeles, while Howard was reeling from heartbreak and exhausted from a 150-date tour – they aimed to “channel pain into beauty”. With this context in mind, ‘Alchemy’ plays like an album of two halves. Reflecting a wide range of emotions, warm sonics are contrasted by bittersweet lyricism (see the trance-leaning singalong ‘A Little Bit’) and diaristic field recordings (acoustic guitar strums and a pet dog provide comfort during the final 30 seconds of ‘We Were In Love’).

While the album’s story-telling is diaristic and there are also nostalgic throwbacks to Disclosure’s early days – see ‘Looking For Love’s bumping two-step garage beat – the key difference with ‘Alchemy’ is that the emphasis is placed on production. Rather than diluting their soundscapes to make room for big-name artists, the beats shine. ‘Higher Than Ever Before’s jungle breaks incorporate a very on-trend sound, ‘Go The Distance’s rubbery synth lines conjure a hedonistic warehouse party, and the summery ‘Simply Won’t Do’ pulses with energy.

Perhaps purposefully, the album’s pace slows down at the halfway point, as palette-cleansing gospel interlude ‘Someday’ resets the mood. Rainfall is cleverly used as a narrative device, too, reflecting post-break-up sadness; after trickling on ‘We Were In Love’, a thunderstorm strikes on the atmospheric ‘Sun Showers’. Then, with its blowing wind chimes, the meditative yet forgettable ‘Purify’ once again stops the party.

The ambience is short-lived, though, as a car engine and crackling radio signals lead to the groovy ‘Brown Eyes’, whose robotised vocals recall the French Robots. Adding another dimension, ‘Talk On The Phone’s vocal style briefly sounds like a ’90s R&B boyband, as Howard sings over a patiently-pulsing beat: “When the teardrops in your mind become too much, you might try to fall in love with someone else, but we’ll talk on the phone”.

Despite a sprightly run time of just under 38 minutes, the pair cover vast ground, much of it new, across ‘Alchemy’. However, after several sporadic vibe changes, the album’s overall cohesion feels slightly lost, though perhaps that was the intention due to the personal circumstances in which it was created. Nonetheless, it’s clear that Guy and Howard are enjoying their newfound creative freedom to push beyond what’s expected of them.

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 14th December 2023, 10:17 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Disclosure's latest album has some gems that I like, need to listen to the other songs though.

+Quote this post
danG
post 15th December 2023, 12:07 PM
Post #10
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

Album of the Year Runner-Up: Anamē - Beautiful World

Having put out an album as part of Gardenstate two years back, Swedish producer Marcus Schössow left to persue a new project Anamē with a new collaborator. The resulting album is in a similar style to Gardenstate but even better as a whole, an excellent melodic house effort with a big soundscape. It is the sole album here to produce two #1 singles both of which will make high appearances in the singles chart.

01 Anywhere (Road Trippin')
01 Peaceful Avenues [with Lydmor]
27 Must Be Dreaming [with Bien]
33 Someone We Used To Love [with Lydmor]
67 Hurt You [with AN21 feat. Lya Adams]
84 Beautiful World [with Steve Smith]

QUOTE(https://anjunabeats.bandcamp.com/album/beautiful-world)
Marcus Schössow and Thomas Sagstad have been planning, plotting and dreaming anamē for two decades. First coming together at a house party in Helsingborg, Sweden, Marcus and Thomas bonded over a love of artists (Sasha or early Tiesto), labels (Strictly Rhythm, Defected), ethics (“We both wanted to work hard for our dreams”) and ideas.

Individually, each had success wearing multiple hats. Schössow made music as half of gardenstate; as a remixer for acts as diverse as Axwell Λ Ingrosso, Charli XCX and Zedd; and with releases on Axtone, Armada, Size, Spinnin’ and Anjunadeep. Sagstad released tracks with Steve Smith of Dirty Vegas, formed the label Agape Music (a partnership with Strictly Rhythm), and earned support from fellow DJs Carl Cox, Sasha, John Digweed, Tiësto, Armin van Buuren and Swedish House Mafia.

As family life, academic studies, and new homes in different countries threatened to separate them, their old connection drew them back together.

“About two and a half years ago, we sat down, looked at the stars, and said: ‘Well, now's the time. Things are perfectly aligned for us to finally do what we talked about doing 20 years ago,’” recalls Schössow. “So that's how we came up with the name anamē. We've been adapting to whatever has come our way so far in life. And all of those experiences, all those life lessons, have become a map for the music we make together.”

“We just want to make music that makes people happy,” expands Sagstad. “It sounds so easy, but there's so much craziness going on in the world.”

In 2022, the anamē adventure began on Anjunabeats. The duo crafted an emotive collaboration with Above & Beyond and Marty Longstaff on ‘Gratitude’, worked with BLR and Robbie Rise on club anthem ‘Influencer’, and reworked a pair of classics in Lostep’s ‘Burma’ and ‘Tears From The Moon’ by Conjure One and Sinéad O’Connor. Most recently, the pair remixed Kyan’s ‘Lonely River’ alongside A&B’s Paavo Siljamäki in his P.O.S. guise, collaborating again with Paavo on ‘Good People’ for his ‘Deeper Tales’ album.

That range, that ambition, that heart, that sense of adventure: all are front and centre – and buried in the DNA – of 'Beautiful World'. It’s the album that Schössow and Sagstad, individually and collectively, have worked their whole lives to create. Over its twelve tracks, anamē present, literally and figuratively, their worldview.

+Quote this post
danG
post 15th December 2023, 12:15 PM
Post #11
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

Album of the Year: Ram - Wanderlust

A trance masterclass now from Ram who just edges ahead to claim the AOTY title. When it comes to emotive uplifting trance Ram had already proved himself as one of the best so it was great to see him putting out a studio album after many years (I see his last was in 2015 which I missed), with almost every album track standing out enough for my weekly chart. It was also particularly great to see it also released in a mixed version for a non-stop energy album listening experience. The clear highlight is of course 'What Matters' which could be a strong contender in the EOY singles chart.

01 What Matters [with Cari]
33 Forgive Me [with Natalie Gioia]
40 Medellin Madness
44 Nothing Stopping Me [with Clara Yates]
65 Echoes [with Roxanne Emery]
67 Turn Back the Time [with Garderffi feat. Diana Leah]
80 Where I Want To Be [with Sarah De Warren]
82 The Power Of Love [with Susana]

QUOTE(https://magikmuzik.shop/products/ram-wanderlust)
It's hard to remember a time when DJing and travelling hasn’t gone hand-in-hand, or think of a time when it wouldn’t … And then 2020 happened. Suddenly, DJs from all musical quarters got a swift reminder in what it was, that many in our globalised world might’ve started to take as given. Amongst others, this refocussed RAM’s mind on the wonder of it all. To such a degree in fact, that it’s became the inspiration for his second artist album.

Over a spectrum of references, ranging from the super-subtle to the all-out overt, ‘Wanderlust’ (the follow up to his 2015 debut, ‘Forever Love’) celebrates this aspect of DJ culture to its fullest degree. Each of ‘Wanderlust’s tracks has a unique, travelogue-like connection to countries and cities that RAM feels a particular affinity with. Some of those will jump out on first contact, while others lie more subtly in the context, awaiting the listener or clubber’s moment of realisation.

Commenting on the upcoming album, RAM says “For me, this was both a personal journey through trance and a way of conveying my gratitude for the, now, almost thirty years of DJ-travelling through some of the world’s most amazing countries.” While the theme to RAM’s second artist album naturally runs start-through-finish over its ten tracks, the way he has chosen to imbue it ranges the spectrum.

Some focus specifically on cities, and in the most apparent and titularly-pointed of fashions. ‘Buenos Aires Angels’ and ‘Medellin Madness’, for example need little further in the way of clarification! Others though, like the NYC/US-champing ‘Where I Want To Be’ and the Sydney-celebrating The Power Of Love’ (featuring Sarah de Warren and Susana, respectively) do so more implicitly through their inner lyrics and artwork. ‘Echoes’ with Roxanne Emery, ‘What Matters’ featuring Cari and the Natalie Gioia-sung ‘Forgive Me’ meanwhile have their heart and inspiration firmly rooted in Asia and the far east. Rising from a more southerly direction is the rapacious rip of ‘The Magic Of Mexico’, whose origin story couldn’t be writ larger, while more unstated is (the upcoming single) ‘Turn Back The Time’, which toots the horn for Canada.

+Quote this post
Cow P
post 15th December 2023, 02:51 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Cowcow no Frieren
User: 127,479

Wanderlust. wub.gif Glad this won AOTY, though Beautiful World is a worth winner as well with Peaceful Avenues being somewhere memorable in my head. I'd probably have it as a runner-up or 2nd runner-up, for my unofficial AOTY came from a hardstyle album.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 15th December 2023, 09:26 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

What Matters was one of my favourite BJSC songs this year - look forward to seeing where it'll appear in your full countdown but I should probably give a few more of the songs from that album a listen! Don't think I realised Disclosure had released an album this year, but giving Looking For Love a listen now and it's sounding quite nice, very laid back.

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 16th December 2023, 10:02 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I need to listen so most of the albums on here, there are mostly dance-themed, but I do like the genre.

+Quote this post
danG
post 16th December 2023, 10:16 AM
Post #15
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

QUOTE(Sergej @ Dec 14 2023, 10:17 AM) *
Disclosure's latest album has some gems that I like, need to listen to the other songs though.
It's best listened to as a full album I think, although Looking for Love and Higher Than Ever Before do stand out as singles choices.

QUOTE(Cow P @ Dec 15 2023, 02:51 PM) *
Wanderlust. wub.gif Glad this won AOTY, though Beautiful World is a worth winner as well with Peaceful Avenues being somewhere memorable in my head. I'd probably have it as a runner-up or 2nd runner-up, for my unofficial AOTY came from a hardstyle album.
Glad you approve of Wanderlust and Beautiful World as my top 2!

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Dec 15 2023, 09:26 PM) *
What Matters was one of my favourite BJSC songs this year - look forward to seeing where it'll appear in your full countdown but I should probably give a few more of the songs from that album a listen! Don't think I realised Disclosure had released an album this year, but giving Looking For Love a listen now and it's sounding quite nice, very laid back.
What Matters could certainly appear very highly in my singles countdown, it's certainly the standout from the album but it's full of great trance music.
Disclosure's album was a very lowkey release because they'd gone independent and released it fairly soon after its announcement. Don't think it even made the chart but they must not care for that anymore, it works as a creative decision at least.

+Quote this post
danG
post 16th December 2023, 01:27 PM
Post #16
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

MAINSTREAM 75

#71 PinkPantheress ~ Mosquito
#72 Flo ~ Fly Girl [feat. Missy Elliott]
#73 Florence + The Machine ~ Dog Days Are Over
#74 Luude and Issey Cross ~ Oh My [feat. Moby]
#75 Bizarrap and Shakira ~ Bzrp Music Sessions, Vol. 53

Bringing back the Mainstream 75 this year, we start off with a rare Spanish language hit coming from Bizarrap & Shakira. Bizarrap is a dance producer who'd had quite a few hits overseas but clearly Shakira was needed to get the UK crossover hit and even with the language barrier the lyrics dissing her ex husband gave the song some virality for a few weeks. Certainly a catchy effort from them anyhow.

Luude & Issey Cross collaborated twice in the year, although I wasn't keen on 'Bittersweet Goodbye' their smaller hit 'Oh My' was likewise a minor hit for me too. Assisted by a sample of the classic 'Porcelain' by Moby which isn't such an in your face sample as what Luude had been doing before and since.

A chart revival came this year for 'Dog Days Are Over' cementing it as Florence's signature hit, thanks to a well-placed spot in the latest (and final) Guardians of the Galaxy film. Although it managed to gain a new UK peak it still missed out on a top 20 spot, it's good in a way that it gets to keep that it's one of the biggest songs ever to miss top 20 as part of its legacy. It's certainly worthy of being considered a modern classic anyhow and worth the revisit.

Bringing Missy Elliott back in the chart very briefly we had girl group Flo who were tipped to be the next big thing but the song went as soon as it came and we haven't heard from them since. It's a fun song that surely would've been a top 10 hit if Little Mix had put it out 5 years ago but I guess it's too hard to push a new girlgroup in current day.

PinkPantheress had one big hit this year that will be yet to come, meanwhile this track ended up stalling lowly as it clearly wasn't quite so catered to TikTok audience. 'Mosquito' is a good direction for her to go in anyhow, it's got a cute aesthetic to it.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 16th December 2023, 10:50 PM
Post #17
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Fly Girl is heaps of fun, the interpolation works really well and I love Missy's verse! Also loved Shakira's return to the UK charts *.*

+Quote this post
Brer
post 16th December 2023, 11:39 PM
Post #18
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

A good start to this mainstream 75, I think 'Mosquito' is my favourite song to date from PinkPantheress so a shame it didn't become a proper hit. 'Fly Girl' and 'Bzrp Music Sessions, Vol. 53' were also great top 40 hits and ofc 'Dog Days Are Over' is an all-time classique *.*

+Quote this post
danG
post 17th December 2023, 07:52 AM
Post #19
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

MAINSTREAM 75

#66 Beyond Chicago, Majestic and Alex Mills ~ Million Dollar Bill
#67 Metro Boomin ~ Creepin' [feat. The Weeknd and 21 Savage]
#68 Kylie Minogue ~ Hold On To Now
#69 Fred Again ~ Danielle (Smile On My Face)
#70 Raye ~ Flip a Switch

Raye had a great year with 'Escapism' continuing to smash (more on that later!), another big dance feature and finally releasing her debut album. 'Flip a Switch' was chosen as the post-album single anyhow which was a standout of the album for being more catchy and upbeat than a lot of the other tracks though still showcasing her strong vocal talent.

A hangover from last year now from Fred Again who landed in my Top 200 with this previously. 'Danielle' is still one of his strongest efforts yet and ought to have been a bigger hit properly but he wasn't quite at the stage where he could easily get top 40 debuts then. Fred has had a very good year with him having four tracks in the Mainstream 75.

What a year Kylie had! Coming back strong with two songs that will make the Top 200 she eventually put out the album 'Tension' which was my favourite pop album of the year. The standout and focus track was this one which briefly placed in the UK chart.

Metro Boomin managed to get a big hit by getting his friends to remake the big 2004 hit 'I Don't Wanna Know', and sure it was a good modern update of the track helped by The Weeknd being a stronger vocalist. 21 Savage is a great replacement for Diddy too.

Another cover version now albeit more controversial on Buzzjack, although for a dance hit it did underperform a fair bit on my chart anyhow. 'Million Dollar Bill' was a great choice of song to revisit anyhow as I hadn't really thought about that song for years and it works for what it is being a lite house uplift. We will hear from vocalist Alex Mills later in the Top 200 too.

+Quote this post
danG
post 17th December 2023, 08:11 AM
Post #20
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

MAINSTREAM 75

#61 Chase & Status ~ Selecta [feat. Stefflon Don]
#62 Lord Huron ~ The Night We Met
#63 Chase & Status ~ Say The Word [feat. Clementine Douglas]
#64 The Beatles ~ Now and Then
#65 Tears For Fears ~ Everybody Wants To Rule The World

Cheating a little bit for the next entry from Tears for Fears as it's hardly a "2023 hit" but hey, it is a classic and I gave it a bit of a revisit after its chart revival. As one of the best 80s songs it's very much deserved seeing its status get further cemented.

Who'd have guessed The Beatles would be having a chart comeback this year eh? Well they are certainly one of the bands of all time who'd have a great deal of songs in my chart of the 60s. 'Now and Then' of course was conceived in the 70s before eventually coming out now and hitting #1 and it's a very strong effort to be considered their final recording as a band.

Chase & Status had a very good year with five titles charting and all making the Mainstream 75. The most recent of these are naturally the lowest with 'Say the Word' and 'Selecta' both in this section. The former was only a low-charting promo single and not one of their strongest efforts meanwhile 'Selecta' is a big energy banger assisted by a sample of Ashanti which could stick around a bit in the new year.

Sandwiched between are Lord Huron whose track was actually a minor hit a good few years ago but came back thanks to TikTok and the song grew on me from the chart resurgence. It's a bit of a subtle indie ballad but quite lovely after a few listens and would've been worthy of a UK top 40 placing if the OCC were a tad more consistent with their chart rules.

+Quote this post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 09:14 PM