BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jade's EOY ● 2023, 100-1 complete! full list: page 5
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post 12th January 2024, 06:44 PM
Post #61
Group icon
I was waitin' in the garden
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jan 12 2024, 10:32 AM) *
We don't have a lot of chart overlap these days, but there are some! The Grants is a goodie, Now & Then a big chart-topper for me, Houdini is fab, and a couple of others, so I may well end up with a 10% overlap yet when I get round to doing my 100 (I usually wait for tracks to drop out my charts so they get full runs)! laugh.gif

Oh yes, I have seen The Beatles and Dua flying high in your chart but didn't realise you were a fan of 'The Grants' too, excellent wub.gif some more mainstream stuff is still on the way including a #1 hit ohmy.gif

Will be sure to look out for your own countdown! Thank you for commenting heart.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 12th January 2024, 08:01 PM
Post #62
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hi Jade!

Here are some of the songs I've liked so far:

69. Luke Black - Samo mi se spava | 192 points
64. The Chemical Brothers - Skipping Like A Stone (feat. Beck) | 201 points (peak: #7)
63. Shygirl & Cosha - ​​thicc | 201 points (peak: #2)
62. Romy - The Sea | 202 points
51. Zach Bryan - I Remember Everything (feat. Kacey Musgraves) | 233 points
48. RAYE - Escapism (feat. 070 Shake) | 238 points
40. Dua Lipa - Houdini | 254 points
39. ROSALÍA - LLYLM | 258 points
38. Beyoncé - AMERICA HAS A PROBLEM (feat. Kendrick Lamar) | 265 points
34. Doja Cat - Attention | 284 points
33. Taylor Swift - Say Don't Go (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault) | 295 points

Great list so far!

Can't wait for the top 30!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 12th January 2024, 08:23 PM
Post #63
Group icon

QUOTE(Sergej @ Jan 12 2024, 08:01 PM) *
Hi Jade!

Here are some of the songs I've liked so far:

69. Luke Black - Samo mi se spava | 192 points
64. The Chemical Brothers - Skipping Like A Stone (feat. Beck) | 201 points (peak: #7)
63. Shygirl & Cosha - ​​thicc | 201 points (peak: #2)
62. Romy - The Sea | 202 points
51. Zach Bryan - I Remember Everything (feat. Kacey Musgraves) | 233 points
48. RAYE - Escapism (feat. 070 Shake) | 238 points
40. Dua Lipa - Houdini | 254 points
39. ROSALÍA - LLYLM | 258 points
38. Beyoncé - AMERICA HAS A PROBLEM (feat. Kendrick Lamar) | 265 points
34. Doja Cat - Attention | 284 points
33. Taylor Swift - Say Don't Go (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault) | 295 points

Great list so far!

Can't wait for the top 30!

Hey Sergej hi.gif

Glad you're a fan of all those happy.gif more Eurovision may be on the way... ohmy.gif

thanks for commenting! x

+Quote this post
Brer
post 12th January 2024, 09:21 PM
Post #64
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Only the 1 song I'd not already heard again in this section, that being 'Say Don't Go', and after finally hearing it I am now sad this never got a chance to chart in the UK, think I do immediately like it more than all the ones that did, maybe about on par with 'I Can See You' for me!

Quite a few big faves for me dropping out here - glad that I did get around to listening to Slowdive's album as it is pretty excellent throughout, 'alife' is the one for me but 'the slab' is probably my 2nd favourite song from the album. 'AMERICA HAS A PROBLEM' was already one of my faves from 'RENAISSANCE' but Kendrick managed to elevate it even more, matching the energy perfectly *.* and hooray for a double appearance for ROSALÍA, 'VAMPIROS' is my favourite of her handful of releases for the year so nice to see it the highest here, appreciating the slightly unorthodox song structure on top of just being a really solid reggaetón banger. I guess we're probably unlikely to see any more RauwSALÍA collabs oop so glad they did get a few songs together out while they lasted, I do think Rauw is one of the most consistent male reggaetón/Latin pop artists maybe second only to Bad Bunny. 'LLYLM' like 'TUYA' is another one that I kind of forget happened sometimes but it still sounds great every time I hear it, particularly the middle 8 as you pointed out with her unexpectedly throwing it back to her original flamenco vibes, but I always forget how much I like the chorus as well despite it being the most 'basic' sounding part of the song, I'm not sure I'd want her to go too hard on English language material but she did kind of nail it on this occasion with some very evocative lyrics. And 'Attention' was a bold choice of lead single for what turned out to be a really good album imo from Doja, I've always thought she was underrated as a rapper (as opposed to a pop artist who raps) so glad she chose this to highlight that side of her more, even if it naturally got overshadowed by the more commercial followup.

'Houdini' didn't completely blow me away but it's still Dua doing what Dua does best and a perfectly good lead single that's keeping me hyped for the new album to hopefully be in a similar ballpark of quality to her last one (hopefully minus the couple of dud songs this time kink.gif) 'Strawberry Jam' 'only' got 5 points from me in BJSC but after relistening I think I'd also rank it ahead of FLESH/PEAKi in my favourites of the year from you, I can see why it was your biggest hit in retrospect even though I remember it doing better than my expectations at the time, it has quite a cool ~mystique~ to it. And this section rounding out with 2 more songs I know mainly from other song contests as the Eartheater one was in the PopJustice contest (got 7 points from me there, I don't find it to be her most memorable song ngl but still a very cool sound) and HighSchool in Nuggets as you mentioned, my only complaint about the latter was you picked the absolute perfect clip from it for your chart recaps which built me up to expect a song I absolutely stanned but then I thought the rest of the song didn't quite live up to that kink.gif but still very good don't get me wrong x

+Quote this post
Jade
post 12th January 2024, 09:33 PM
Post #65
Group icon

QUOTE(Brer @ Jan 12 2024, 09:21 PM) *
Only the 1 song I'd not already heard again in this section, that being 'Say Don't Go', and after finally hearing it I am now sad this never got a chance to chart in the UK, think I do immediately like it more than all the ones that did, maybe about on par with 'I Can See You' for me!

Quite a few big faves for me dropping out here - glad that I did get around to listening to Slowdive's album as it is pretty excellent throughout, 'alife' is the one for me but 'the slab' is probably my 2nd favourite song from the album. 'AMERICA HAS A PROBLEM' was already one of my faves from 'RENAISSANCE' but Kendrick managed to elevate it even more, matching the energy perfectly *.* and hooray for a double appearance for ROSALÍA, 'VAMPIROS' is my favourite of her handful of releases for the year so nice to see it the highest here, appreciating the slightly unorthodox song structure on top of just being a really solid reggaetón banger. I guess we're probably unlikely to see any more RauwSALÍA collabs oop so glad they did get a few songs together out while they lasted, I do think Rauw is one of the most consistent male reggaetón/Latin pop artists maybe second only to Bad Bunny. 'LLYLM' like 'TUYA' is another one that I kind of forget happened sometimes but it still sounds great every time I hear it, particularly the middle 8 as you pointed out with her unexpectedly throwing it back to her original flamenco vibes, but I always forget how much I like the chorus as well despite it being the most 'basic' sounding part of the song, I'm not sure I'd want her to go too hard on English language material but she did kind of nail it on this occasion with some very evocative lyrics. And 'Attention' was a bold choice of lead single for what turned out to be a really good album imo from Doja, I've always thought she was underrated as a rapper (as opposed to a pop artist who raps) so glad she chose this to highlight that side of her more, even if it naturally got overshadowed by the more commercial followup.

'Houdini' didn't completely blow me away but it's still Dua doing what Dua does best and a perfectly good lead single that's keeping me hyped for the new album to hopefully be in a similar ballpark of quality to her last one (hopefully minus the couple of dud songs this time kink.gif) 'Strawberry Jam' 'only' got 5 points from me in BJSC but after relistening I think I'd also rank it ahead of FLESH/PEAKi in my favourites of the year from you, I can see why it was your biggest hit in retrospect even though I remember it doing better than my expectations at the time, it has quite a cool ~mystique~ to it. And this section rounding out with 2 more songs I know mainly from other song contests as the Eartheater one was in the PopJustice contest (got 7 points from me there, I don't find it to be her most memorable song ngl but still a very cool sound) and HighSchool in Nuggets as you mentioned, my only complaint about the latter was you picked the absolute perfect clip from it for your chart recaps which built me up to expect a song I absolutely stanned but then I thought the rest of the song didn't quite live up to that kink.gif but still very good don't get me wrong x

So glad that you're a fan of 'Say Don't Go' as well <3 I didn't quite know what to expect with our recent disparity in 'Anti-Hero' opinions, so yay for Taylor taste back on track cool.gif

Slowdive's album is fab indeed <3 I really need to check out more of their older material, I know quite a few songs from their 90s album Souvlaki for example but have never listened the whole way through. We lucked out so badly with the Béy/Kendrick remix! Could never get into 'CUFF IT' but love 'BREAK MY SOUL', this and 'ALIEN SUPERSTAR' so yay for pretty great representation on the whole in terms of top 40 hits. Happy you snapped with me on 'VAMPIROS' being your #1 from the RR EP! I'm not quite as familiar with Rauw but his presence is pretty cool on the songs with ROSALÍA. I get what you mean re. 'LLYLM', it does have quite an enjoyably basic chorus even if that's not the most flattering descriptor lmao. I agree that Scarlet is a good album, it's still within the top 10 of my latest album chart - this era feels pretty underrated outside of 'Paint The Town Red' but I guess serving the quality is what matters more.

Fingers crossed for DL3 to serve! My pop girl excitement is truly unlocked right now with both her and Ariana releasing albums soon. I must confess that I didn't see the hit potential of 'Strawberry Jam' at all but am so glad it was there, it's beautiful and their new one 'Butterfly House' is almost as good <3 I think 'Mona Lisa Moan' will probably overtake 'Pure Smile Snake Venom' in my affections in time since belatedly checking out the latest Eartheater album - a total swoon moment <3 haha apologies for my supposed video editing talents raising your expectations xx

thank youuuuu for commenting *.*

+Quote this post
Jade
post 12th January 2024, 10:40 PM
Post #66
Group icon

TOP 100 SONGS: 30-21

30. Odd Nosdam - Kill Tone | 311 points
29. The Killers - Your Side of Town | 313 points
28. Avalon Emerson - Astrology Poisoning | 316 points
27. Headache - The Beginning of the End | 317 points
26. bdrmm - Mud | 318 points
25. yunè pinku - Night Light | 325 points
24. Overmono - Good Lies | 336 points
23. Caroline Polachek - Billions | 338 points
22. Käärijä - Cha Cha Cha | 340 points
21. Everything Everything - Cold Reactor | 341 points

'Kill Tone' by Odd Nosdam ranks as the highest placed Jadakissnia entry this year. It dates all the way back to 2007 when it was released as part of the Level Live Wires album. It is classified as instrumental hip-hop but I'd also definitely describe it as electronica. I was drawn to its mix of relaxing yet haunting sounds. 'Kill Tone' contains some of the most soothing instruments imaginable such as the piano and the harp, yet also minimal vocal portions that sound like somebody in anguish. The baby themed visuals also feel cursed. Overall I think it was a unique moment in my nation's back catalogue, albeit one that didn't quite set the contest alight, finishing in 25th place. The Killers also provide a song that conjures mixed feelings, both melancholic and hopeful. Brandon's vocals are yearning and paint descriptive pictures through his words such as: "Serrated edges of the blade are scraping over the leather, I guess we couldn't keep it together". During the chorus there is a stylistic choice to process his voice in a way that reminds me of Julian Casablancas on Daft Punk's 'Instant Crush'. I can see why this decision may be polarising but I personally think it's an effective touch, alongside a wonderful melody. The overall moodboard is an 80s dream with references like New Order, Depeche Mode and Pet Shop Boys embedded within. This was bound to be up my street. Avalon Emerson is an electronic producer who was new on my radar in 2023. I found 'Astrology Poisoning' irresistible with its mellow surface yet cynical undertones. There are lovely, chirpy synths in the production, plus a delightful vocal delivery, but the lyrics discuss the less fun sides of life as a DJ and even the rise of climate change. I think: "The walls we put up, sneaking up on us, and the world is a f***, and accelerating" is so frank and brilliantly said in particular. The video is also very well crafted and beautiful to watch. I must check out more. Headache's 'The Beginning of the End' is the next #1 single from my personal chart to drop out. This was a BJSC discovery, via dandy*'s nation Fljótavík, which outdoes all of my own entries in the countdown - no mean feat. I was gripped enough at the semi-final stage of the contest to award this song a bronze medal but became utterly enamoured on subsequent listens; it received my top marks in the final with ease. I already knew of Vegyn, who provides the mesmerising trip-hop production, but the Headache project was new to me. The AI vocals are so unsettling as they discuss a dark state of mind. My favourite lyric, that I used in the recap videos for my personal chart, is: "one morning you wake and you want to shave your head because the insects living up there have started to throw parties they aren't inviting you to", that is just so harrowing. I was thrilled that this standout spoken-word experience turned out to be a big hit in the contest. It's within my holy trinity of such songs alongside 'Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)' by Baz Luhrmann and Self Esteem's 'I Do This All The Time'. bdrmm have really grown in my affections over the past couple of years. Their sound heavily leans into shoegaze although 'Mud' feels more sprawling than the past material I know. It's a quietly devastating track about loss and accepting the end before it's even arrived, this is apparent in lyrics like: "and it feels like it's getting closer to the end of me and you". I'm not sure what is more haunting out of the reverb-heavy vocals and the powerful instrumental. Both marry together for essential listening either way.

yunè pinku has been a total revelation in the world of electronic music and 'Night Light' is my favourite of hers to date. It peaked within the top 5 of my weekly chart and achieved a very healthy, long run on the whole. I adore the relentless bassline on this song and her ethereal vocals. There's an urgent feel here, as she discusses reaching a point in technology where a robot will fall in love with the person who is going to destroy it. There's this otherworldly cyber-pop feel but also a throwback trance edge to it too, a sound which was very en vogue last year. The video is well worth a watch also! Overmono have of course been an essential electronic presence this year too, with yet another appearance in the countdown. 'Good Lies' is the title track from their debut album. This one samples 'No Harm' by Smerz, a fellow duo in the dance world. This reference point is utilised to euphoric effect with "I wanna feel you" in particular feeling like a warm moment. The swirling energy here is infectious and a bit of a light-hearted breather amongst some of the darker leaning tracks on the album. That soft chorus is such an earworm. 'Billions' by Caroline Polachek is a 2022 song and overdue chart topper for me. It somehow went over my head during its initial release and Bré was flabbergasted, thinking that it seemed so up my street. I later revisited it, after getting into 'Welcome To My Island', and something finally shifted upon watching the music video for the first time. I honestly have no idea what I was thinking at first, as this is nothing short of excellent! The trip-hop production is divine and Caroline effectively illustrates thoughts about the "overabundance in the world" through the lens of Greco-Roman mythology. The lyrics are a quirky thrill throughout, from "sexting sonnets under the table" to "Twisted, manic, Cornucopeiac". Her vocal delivery is on point, the shift to her lower register complete with elongated note during "...but it's dead on arrival, ohhhh" does something to me that is indescribable. The choral finish is a beautiful touch as well. The music video is a feast for the eyes with the mystical presence of grape-crusher Polachek. It was close but no cigar for Käärijä who settled for 2nd place in this year's Eurovision Song Contest, behind the almighty Loreen. However, he did take home the gold in my personal chart, the first Eurovision chart-topper since 'ZITTI E BUONI' by Måneskin two years prior. It was nice for my favourite to be a contender again after France's entrant in 2022 unfortunately bombed. Only in Eurovision could there be a Finnish singer/rapper in a skimpy green outfit delivering a dance-pop industrial metal song to rapturous applause. Käärijä walks the audience through a night out in these lyrics, coupled with the thrill of banging dance beats and thunderous guitars. The result is infectious fun with a stupendously catchy chorus to boot. It gave me chills when the audience so loudly chanted along with the "cha cha cha cha cha cha CHA"s at merely the semi final stage of the contest. Surely a Eurovision legend in the making! The icing on the cake was a Finnish-language song making the top 10 of the U.K. singles chart. The potential of 'Cold Reactor' by Everything Everything is hampered here due its late October release. This track was my longest running number 1 of the year, clocking up 7 weeks. Perhaps it will be back with a vengeance in my 2024 EOY too as it is still riding high in the top 3! 'Cold Reactor' is a piece of the dystopian puzzle that is shaping up to be upcoming album Mountainhead. The band hone in on the isolating impact of existences purely lived through screens; lyrically this is told in off-kilter ways such as "I haven't left the house in nearly thirty thousand days", the average life expectancy for a man. I adore the new wave meets indie pop execution of the production, especially as the synths swell right at the end. I feel like I am being kept on my toes throughout, as the delivery is fairly laidback in the verses despite the lyrical content but it grows into a faster-paced rhythm in the lead up to the chorus. I also enjoy the backing vocals which feel like an instrument of their own. The video expands on the Mountainhead imagery, whereby those at the bottom of the mountain have a pretty thankless existence. It was a cracking start to the era and I'm glad Radio 1 eventually added it to their playlist!

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 12th January 2024, 10:53 PM
Post #67
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Like these songs on here! "Cold Reactor" currently is gaining on my chart, might be in my Year-End list next year?
"Cha Cha Cha" definitely will be in my Year-End list this year.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 12th January 2024, 11:05 PM
Post #68
Group icon

QUOTE(Sergej @ Jan 12 2024, 10:53 PM) *

Like these songs on here! "Cold Reactor" currently is gaining on my chart, might be in my Year-End list next year?
"Cha Cha Cha" definitely will be in my Year-End list this year.

Käärijä nation unite 💚

Awesome to see 'Cold Reactor' progressing in your weekly chart! Perhaps one to watch in both of our 2024 EOYs. laugh.gif

thanks for commenting again Sergej, the enthusiasm is appreciated happy.gif

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 13th January 2024, 07:55 PM
Post #69
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

From your 40-31, 'Houdini' is fab and will surely appear in more of these EOYs than not, 'LLYLM' has that breezy production which I maybe found more instant than the reggaeton for ROSALÍA's subsequent songs here, not that I disliked them, 'Strawberry Jam' got 11 from me in a strong contest but ended up probably second only to 'Niemand' from your BJSC entries of the year for me as there's so much to admire in it, from the backwards vocals at the start onwards, but my favourite is from HighSchool - I'd already found 'Only A Dream' a standout song from those I didn't know on your "best of 2022" playlist, but when I heard 'Colt' I instantly found it even better with its mixture of late 80s influences.

In 30-21 it has to be The Killers, referencing New Order, Depeche Mode and Pet Shop Boys (the holy trinity of 80s music generally) is a recipe for good things and it's true to their influences. 'Night Light' was a sparkling relentless follow-up to 'Fai Fighter' for yunè pinku and hopefully there'll be more like those to come from her, and 'Cold Reactor' would be somewhere in my theoretical weekly top 20 by now as I'm intrigued by the lyrical theme and details within the music I probably haven't noticed yet!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 13th January 2024, 08:11 PM
Post #70
Group icon

QUOTE(jimwatts @ Jan 13 2024, 07:55 PM) *
From your 40-31, 'Houdini' is fab and will surely appear in more of these EOYs than not, 'LLYLM' has that breezy production which I maybe found more instant than the reggaeton for ROSALÍA's subsequent songs here, not that I disliked them, 'Strawberry Jam' got 11 from me in a strong contest but ended up probably second only to 'Niemand' from your BJSC entries of the year for me as there's so much to admire in it, from the backwards vocals at the start onwards, but my favourite is from HighSchool - I'd already found 'Only A Dream' a standout song from those I didn't know on your "best of 2022" playlist, but when I heard 'Colt' I instantly found it even better with its mixture of late 80s influences.

In 30-21 it has to be The Killers, referencing New Order, Depeche Mode and Pet Shop Boys (the holy trinity of 80s music generally) is a recipe for good things and it's true to their influences. 'Night Light' was a sparkling relentless follow-up to 'Fai Fighter' for yunè pinku and hopefully there'll be more like those to come from her, and 'Cold Reactor' would be somewhere in my theoretical weekly top 20 by now as I'm intrigued by the lyrical theme and details within the music I probably haven't noticed yet!

Oh yes I just spotted 'Houdini' in your EOY too wub.gif one of those songs that definitely unites a wide range of music tastes on the forum. I can understand that re. 'LLYLM', tbh I don't always go for reggaeton production but ROSALÍA is an exception due to her more experimental angle, although even the more commercial 'Con Altura' was a bop. Happy to hear that you hold 'Strawberry Jam' in such high regard, their new song 'Butterfly House' is really good too. Oh wow, I had no idea that anyone else had taken a look at that playlist so I'm pleased that you made a good discovery in 'Only A Dream' via that!

It's a shame that The Killers didn't want to take this specific mood-board any further than 'Your Side Of Town' as it's such a good style for them <3 but grateful we did get that song! Excited to see what 2024 may bring for yuné pinku, what an exciting name right now. Ooh excellent, always happy to hear 'Cold Reactor' praise <3

thank you for commenting! x

+Quote this post
Brer
post 13th January 2024, 08:21 PM
Post #71
Group icon

Oh that 21-23 section absolutely ate cheeseblock.png 3 of the best songs from the whole countdown so far, shame 'Cold Reactor' having its run split between two years will probably block it from having as high an EOY position as it deserves but #21 from only a couple of months is still great of course, having been a stan of Everything Everything since day 1 it's brilliant that they are still putting out songs that contend to be among their best ever for me and I could tell this one was that from my first listen (on Radio 1 while driving), it's so addictive. I don't often find myself listening to songs on repeat but I have done that a few times with this one! Although even with that I've never really picked up on the meaning of the lyrics so that was interesting to read your commentary, I tend to assume their lyrics are mostly poetic but largely incomprehensible babbling haha (but they make it sound great ofc x), I guess I'm missing out on a whole other dimension of their appeal by not trying to analyse the lyrics but tbf I don't really do that with a lot of music in general, I am too smooth brained. Definitely don't need to understand the lyrics to appreciate the absolute megabanger that is 'Cha Cha Cha' of course, I expect and hope Käärijä has embedded himself in the canon of Eurovision legends who will keep appearing or being referenced in the contest in future years, I'm at peace with it losing to Loreen but I do really wish it had won, nonetheless what a moment that a mixture of hyperpop, industrial and rap without a word in English managed to appeal so widely across the continent and even going top 10 in the UK. And haha at you mentioning my surprise at you not initially loving 'Billions' as I was certainly going to bring that up in this reply biggrin.gif but excellent that it did eventually click for you, I liked 'Bunny Is A Rider' but this song was the first signal for me that this would be a special era from her, stanning the 'Teardrop' esque production and her vocals are just perfect throughout, also love the 'say say say say something to me' mini hook and an actual good use of a choir at the back end.

Also a couple of other big faves for me here, 'Fai Fighter' and 'Night Light' was a note perfect back to back of singles from yunè pinku both perfectly capturing that vibe which I think you described better than I ever could, and it's great that the Headache song proved to have so many big fans (wow at it outdoing all of your own entries here, after almost doing the same on Rich's EOY!), Vegyn of course was a past entrant of my own but even I must say this song was better than the one I sent, a real stopped in my tracks moment. 'Good Lies' was one that took a few listens to fully click with me (iirc another one I've heard on Radio 1 in the car which helped it to grow on me) but it is another big earworm from them although their best song still to come here! And 'Kill Tone' was a great pick from the archives for the BJSC, like you mentioned the mix of relaxing and unsettling just hits *.* (although scarred for life by the video x).

Now we've had all the Jadakissnia entries and I've been dripfeeding this throughout I think I'll finalise this as my ranking of them magic.gif

1 Radost Moja
2 Odd Nosdam
3 Rosegarden Funeral Party
4 TÉTRICA
5 NNHMN
6 Kap Bambino
7 Waterbaby
8 FLESH
9 Joanie
10 KOMPROMAT

Also enjoyed both the Avalon Emerson and The Killers songs (the vocal processing on the latter is the kind of thing that is sometimes on a fine line with being offputting for me - sorry Troye Sivan ph34r.gif - but it works well on this song for me), bdrmm was the one from this section that I'd not heard before and although I have given it a listen now I feel like it's one that demands multiple listens to form a strong opinion on really so I'll leave that as broadly positive but no specific comment x

+Quote this post
Jade
post 13th January 2024, 08:36 PM
Post #72
Group icon

QUOTE(Brer @ Jan 13 2024, 08:21 PM) *
Oh that 21-23 section absolutely ate cheeseblock.png 3 of the best songs from the whole countdown so far, shame 'Cold Reactor' having its run split between two years will probably block it from having as high an EOY position as it deserves but #21 from only a couple of months is still great of course, having been a stan of Everything Everything since day 1 it's brilliant that they are still putting out songs that contend to be among their best ever for me and I could tell this one was that from my first listen (on Radio 1 while driving), it's so addictive. I don't often find myself listening to songs on repeat but I have done that a few times with this one! Although even with that I've never really picked up on the meaning of the lyrics so that was interesting to read your commentary, I tend to assume their lyrics are mostly poetic but largely incomprehensible babbling haha (but they make it sound great ofc x), I guess I'm missing out on a whole other dimension of their appeal by not trying to analyse the lyrics but tbf I don't really do that with a lot of music in general, I am too smooth brained. Definitely don't need to understand the lyrics to appreciate the absolute megabanger that is 'Cha Cha Cha' of course, I expect and hope Käärijä has embedded himself in the canon of Eurovision legends who will keep appearing or being referenced in the contest in future years, I'm at peace with it losing to Loreen but I do really wish it had won, nonetheless what a moment that a mixture of hyperpop, industrial and rap without a word in English managed to appeal so widely across the continent and even going top 10 in the UK. And haha at you mentioning my surprise at you not initially loving 'Billions' as I was certainly going to bring that up in this reply biggrin.gif but excellent that it did eventually click for you, I liked 'Bunny Is A Rider' but this song was the first signal for me that this would be a special era from her, stanning the 'Teardrop' esque production and her vocals are just perfect throughout, also love the 'say say say say something to me' mini hook and an actual good use of a choir at the back end.

Also a couple of other big faves for me here, 'Fai Fighter' and 'Night Light' was a note perfect back to back of singles from yunè pinku both perfectly capturing that vibe which I think you described better than I ever could, and it's great that the Headache song proved to have so many big fans (wow at it outdoing all of your own entries here, after almost doing the same on Rich's EOY!), Vegyn of course was a past entrant of my own but even I must say this song was better than the one I sent, a real stopped in my tracks moment. 'Good Lies' was one that took a few listens to fully click with me (iirc another one I've heard on Radio 1 in the car which helped it to grow on me) but it is another big earworm from them although their best song still to come here! And 'Kill Tone' was a great pick from the archives for the BJSC, like you mentioned the mix of relaxing and unsettling just hits *.* (although scarred for life by the video x).

Now we've had all the Jadakissnia entries and I've been dripfeeding this throughout I think I'll finalise this as my ranking of them magic.gif

1 Radost Moja
2 Odd Nosdam
3 Rosegarden Funeral Party
4 TÉTRICA
5 NNHMN
6 Kap Bambino
7 Waterbaby
8 FLESH
9 Joanie
10 KOMPROMAT

Also enjoyed both the Avalon Emerson and The Killers songs (the vocal processing on the latter is the kind of thing that is sometimes on a fine line with being offputting for me - sorry Troye Sivan ph34r.gif - but it works well on this song for me), bdrmm was the one from this section that I'd not heard before and although I have given it a listen now I feel like it's one that demands multiple listens to form a strong opinion on really so I'll leave that as broadly positive but no specific comment x

cheeseblock.png yes it's unfortunate that it'll work out that way for 'Cold Reactor' but at least still a lot more representative than the official chart EOY for late in the year releases kink.gif I haven't been a fan of EE as long as you, I think I only got into them properly from 'Distant Past' onwards, but hard agree that 'Cold Reactor' is up there with their very best. The concept for their new album is shaping up to be really cool, but tbh the most important lyrics to know across both songs so far are:

At the very top, there was a screen that showed a picture of a
Man who stood there looking at a picture of a man who stood there
Looking at a picture of a picture of a man on a screen
And he was looking at another picture of a man who stood there
Looking at a picture of a man who stood there looking at a
Picture of a picture of a man who was the double of me

cool.gif

'Tattoo' was a good winner but 'Cha Cha Cha' taking the crown would've been such an iconic moment as well. Hopefully he will be to Finland what Måns Zelmerlöw is to Sweden in terms of being wheeled out for appearances laugh.gif LOL at me getting in there first with your 'Billions' bewilderment kink.gif sorry for being such a flop at first, rectified now. I've definitely got into 'Bunny Is A Rider' a lot more now than I did when it first came out too! Also definitely agree that "say say say say something to me" is a 'Billions' highlight <3

Forced to stan Queen pinku. It's amazing indeed that Headache resonated with quite a few people in such a way, I guess it is such a unique entry! R1 and 6Music are real ones for playing Overmono tbh. Happy that 'Kill Tone' allowed me to receive an 18 from you last year, let's see if I can get my hands on one of those this year... ohmy.gif

Nice to see your list written out like that although oops at Persephonia saying no to the synth girlies x kink.gif

Happy that you're team pro robo-Brandon Flowers as well. It's funny you mention Troye tbh... stay tuned. Definitely come back to the bdrmm song again because it was a slow burner for me!

Thank youuuuu for the detailed comment as ever, glad you enjoyed this section so much!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 13th January 2024, 08:38 PM
Post #73
Group icon

TOP 100 SONGS: 20-11

20. SWIM - U Were Mine | 345 points
19. Overmono - Blow Out | 368 points
18. Yves Tumor - Echolalia | 372 points
17. House of Harm - Roseglass | 377 points
16. Mitski - The Deal | 379 points
15. Vandal Moon - Heroine Dancer | 383 points (peak: #3)
14. Jessica Winter & Jonathan Snipes - All I Need | 383 points (peak: #1)
13. Daniel Avery - Going So Low | 387 points
12. Troye Sivan - One Of Your Girls | 394 points
11. Cameo Blush - Out There (feat. yunè pinku) | 411 points

I believe 'U Were Mine' by SWIM was another Electronic Track of the Week discovery last year. I instantly fell for its loopy house charms. The vocal sections appear to be melancholic and reflective with chopped up lines such as "take your place..." and "...the days when u you were mine"; the execution is quite a sad banger vibe. The production is a satisfying mix of both thumping and twinkly, with the vocal portions turning this into an earworm. The Australian DJ keeps the visuals simple through a hazy blurred lens of ravers tinted blue, which seems to be a signature aesthetic. Overmono register an impressive fifth and final appearance in the countdown with their first ever #1 in my weekly chart, 'Blow Out'. A chart-topper felt overdue for them after quite a run of top 5 hits over the past couple of years! This track was the first that the electronic duo worked on post-album release, debuting it at Coachella the day after completion. They come out swinging with an attitude-filled sample of 'Can't Stop' by Reddo & Brodinski, a trap song in original form which provides a new feel to the table. The production starts off pretty in-your-face with huge sounding bass in particular, but develops a softer touch throughout with a dreamy additional layer of floaty synths. I was intrigued by the fact that Yves Tumor's follow-up to 'God is a Circle' was going to be called 'Echolalia' as I'm familiar with the term through quite a lot of research into autism; it is the involuntary repetition of words and sounds made by others. This theme is woven into the stuttery vocals where syllables are turned into hooks of their own. The lyrics of 'Echolalia' detail a thrilling lust towards a figure that they see as godly, hitting the right notes in the delivery. The post-punk production is a great companion, particularly the bass riff that is sampled from 'Lobotomy' by NEON. Their visuals are striking as ever, as we see Yves tied down and nailed by the heart. I recall this being a slow burner in my chart but it was too catchy and cool to resist in time. Boston trio House of Harm were originally a BJSC discovery but have continued to make appearances in my chart since. 'Roseglass', taken from their sophomore album Playground, is the band's best result to date after peaking at #2. This song has a gothic, darkwave flair in its crashing synths but also contains pop sensibilities in the melodies. 'Roseglass' is about being an outsider and trespassing unfamiliar territory in the hope of a brighter future. These themes are delivered through commanding, haunting vocals and in a raw style visually, where unsuspecting people at a market are presented in an uneasy way. It's a stunning package that deserves a lot more attention! Mitski achieved her second #1 to date with album track 'The Deal'. Here, she is filled with so much pain that she doesn't wish to have a soul any more, so she can stop feeling. "I can't bear to keep it", she says. Mitski's delivery makes me hang on to every word as usual and the production is equally memorable. The instruments are pretty sparse for the most part but the drums end up collapsing towards the end in the most breath-taking fashion.

Queen Of The Night by Vandal Moon was one of my favourite albums of 2022. I didn't see new material coming as soon as the following year but very much welcomed it. 'Sad Sad Girl' was a solid start to their 2023 releases but it was subsequent singles that really held my attention. 'Heroine Dancer' was a smash in my chart, peaking at #3. It later returned for a second run after Addy's nation Bøtanikkä sent it to the BuzzJack Song Contest, where I of course awarded it top marks. Vocalist Blake Voss sounds as dark and alluring as ever as he sings about a magnetism towards someone despite their differences, with the following longing words in the chorus: "dance with me lover, I need your smile, take me home". The visuals bring the dancefloor themes to life with a nostalgic club video. Their sound still comprises of dark 80s-style synths and industrial percussion, with a chorus that is throbbing and unforgettable. I discovered Jessica Winter through BJSC and also Jonathan Snipes in a roundabout way, as he is part of thrilling hip-hop group clipping. 'All I Need' initially scraped into my chart but was such an infectious grower that it eventually rose all the way to #1. I love the throwback acid house sound in the production. The snappy bullet-point words like "Food. Shelter. Find a mate. Danger." that surround the title of the song are delivered in a fierce way. 'All I Need' then cools off a bit with some lovely vocals while she is "dancing in the shadows". However, the beat continues to pulsate throughout and provides a very satisfying drop when the moment comes. I was a huge fan of Daniel Avery's album Ultra Truth last year and couldn't wait for more with swift follow-up release More Truth. 'Going So Low' is the opening track and features the uncredited vocal talents of Georgia. This is a thrilling electronic sound, containing a dark dissonance that slowly builds into a stomper of a chorus with massive production and looped vocals. 'Going So Low' also boasts a sudden breakbeat outro, a similar sonic choice to one of last year's biggest hits 'Miracle' by Calvin Harris and Ellie Goulding. Troye Sivan first came to my attention musically about a decade ago when he was breaking free from his YouTuber tag and released 'Happy Little Pill'. That song performed well in my chart and it's been a pleasure to watch his career flourish ever since, achieving his highest ever U.K. solo peak just last year with 'One Of Your Girls', a #11 hit. I love the lush synth-pop sound of this song complete with Drive-style robotic chorus. Troye said it was written about his experience of quite a few straight-presenting guys wanting to get with him and then later freaking out about it and dropping him. He further added that he didn't want to make any kind of statement here but was just channelling some sad musings into a song, with the robot effect representing his mood about the subject well. This kind of sound is right up my alley and was really refreshing to hear on the chart show. The video is simple but stunning with Troye owning his beautiful drag look, which has a particular y2k feel later on. 'Night Light' may be my favourite solo yunè pinku offering to date but her feature on Cameo Blush's 'Out There' would be the first #1 in my chart for both acts, with an impressive run that breaks 400 points here. This is an experimental electronica song taken from the EP Ultimate Grey. The textured production is blissful with its half-time rhythms and yunè pinku offers a warm presence with her vocals. My favourite lyrics are "Is this life enough? When you've stifled doves in trees, in a biblical tease" which feel particularly poetic.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 13th January 2024, 08:54 PM
Post #74
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

I was also very excited to hear Dua's comeback. I thought that 'Dance The Night' was a fun way to tide us over during the wait but it did feel like ages since 'Don't Start Now' kicked off her last campaign. With 'Future Nostalgia' becoming such an instant classic and already feeling like it's been highly influential on the pop music that has followed in the last couple of years, I felt like I had no idea what direction she was going to go with to follow-it up. ''Houdini' feels like a promising start but I'm still very intrigued to hear more. I have to agree that the last minute or so of 'Houdini' is pretty special and it's what initially won me over on the first listen.

'Say Don't Go' was probably my least favourite of the new 1989 tracks but I'd rank them all pretty similar. I don't feel like there was a bad one between them and they were all worthy additions to a classic pop album. I've always been a big apologist for the 'Reputation' era so I'm hoping that it's next to get the Taylor's Version treatment as I'm desperate to hear what the vault tracks are going to sound like.

I will have to check 'Billions' out. Aside from the her two songs with Charli that I adore, Caroline Polachek has been such a blind spot for me. I've heard so much about how great she is but I'm yet to really take the dive into her work and give it a proper go.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 13th January 2024, 10:37 PM
Post #75
Group icon

QUOTE(LewisGT @ Jan 13 2024, 08:54 PM) *
I was also very excited to hear Dua's comeback. I thought that 'Dance The Night' was a fun way to tide us over during the wait but it did feel like ages since 'Don't Start Now' kicked off her last campaign. With 'Future Nostalgia' becoming such an instant classic and already feeling like it's been highly influential on the pop music that has followed in the last couple of years, I felt like I had no idea what direction she was going to go with to follow-it up. ''Houdini' feels like a promising start but I'm still very intrigued to hear more. I have to agree that the last minute or so of 'Houdini' is pretty special and it's what initially won me over on the first listen.

'Say Don't Go' was probably my least favourite of the new 1989 tracks but I'd rank them all pretty similar. I don't feel like there was a bad one between them and they were all worthy additions to a classic pop album. I've always been a big apologist for the 'Reputation' era so I'm hoping that it's next to get the Taylor's Version treatment as I'm desperate to hear what the vault tracks are going to sound like.

I will have to check 'Billions' out. Aside from the her two songs with Charli that I adore, Caroline Polachek has been such a blind spot for me. I've heard so much about how great she is but I'm yet to really take the dive into her work and give it a proper go.

Yes Dua's affiliations with Barbie were fun to bridge the gap! It really did feel like ages since 'Don't Start Now', I associate that song with walking to and from work back when I was in the office 5 days a week pre-Covid, which feels like an alternate universe now laugh.gif so good to have her back with a new album cycle! I agree, it's a great start and has left me wanting more ASAP. Her second single last time, 'Physical', is my favourite Dua song so here's hoping for another strong follow-up *.*

Aww okay, fair! I'm with you though, I actually think the 1989 vault tracks are the most consistently strong yet, no surprises when it was my favourite album of hers anyway. 'Getaway Car' and 'Don't Blame Me' from reputation are two of my favourite album tracks of hers overall - intrigued to see what the focus track for that TV will be!

Ooh okay, hope you enjoy 'Billions'! I was a bit late to the party myself but love all the different shades to her sophomore album.

thank you for commenting, great to have your thoughts now too happy.gif

+Quote this post
Lunar
post 14th January 2024, 01:04 AM
Post #76
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 73,703

Hey Jade! hi.gif

Escapism is one of my favourites from your countdown so far. It felt like such a moment when it reached #1, and it’s been so nice to see RAYE shine as an independent artist! Houdini is another of my favourites of the year as well, Future Nostalgia is honestly one of my favourite albums of all time so really looking forward to seeing what Dua brings this year *.*

Say Don’t Go is also my favourite of the vault tracks, it’s stunning <3 also noticed from your commentary we have the same top 3 taylor albums! laugh.gif

My other favourites from your recent sections are Cha Cha Cha and One of Your Girls. Looking forward to seeing your top 10!

This post has been edited by Lunar: 14th January 2024, 01:04 AM

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 14th January 2024, 11:25 AM
Post #77
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

hi.gif Jade

Catching up on your 70-31 section

Very apt description of 'Sugarushhh'. I always felt the song could be a minute or so longer but it's great for what it is. Great to see 'Good Lies' and 'Blow Out' so high too! I'm loving how Overmono have got a proper fanbase on Buzzjack now wub.gif

Happy Shygirl made it in with another #2 smash for you, and Romy's 'The Sea' which should place highly on my EOY, thanks to the fantastic TDJ remix. 'Waves' is a fab shoegaze-y deep cut from Art School Girlfriend.

That write up for 'Memories of You' *.* Come through Pitchfork journalist Jade!! I still can't believe MRD never did a single push for it, or even made it a focus track during album release week. It's a lot stronger than 'Let Her Go' and the CAIVA collab that were released instead.

Sam Quealy making the top 50 cheeseblock.png

She is such a kook Selena.png Her album is worth a listen! It's a lot of fun and a bit of a hodgepodge of vastly different pop subgenres. I think my favorite outside of 'Seven Swords' is the fabulous 'Klepto'.

'Tamagotchi Fantasy' was a really cute Eurodance swerve from Mr. Sosa. I love the music video with the horse! I also grew to love this one more and more with repeated listens. It took over 2 months before it peaked at #5 on my chart! I never could get into 'LLYM' sadly, it was giving Shawn Mendes vibes somehow laugh.gif 'AMERICA HAS A PROBLEM' was my 2nd fave of this Beyoncé era after 'BREAK MY SOUL', a shame it didn't smash more on the charts. Also really love 'Pure Smile Snake Venom' and 'Colt' - both tracks deserved better on my chart in hindsight.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 14th January 2024, 11:25 AM
Post #78
Group icon

QUOTE(Lunar @ Jan 14 2024, 01:04 AM) *
Hey Jade! hi.gif

Escapism is one of my favourites from your countdown so far. It felt like such a moment when it reached #1, and it’s been so nice to see RAYE shine as an independent artist! Houdini is another of my favourites of the year as well, Future Nostalgia is honestly one of my favourite albums of all time so really looking forward to seeing what Dua brings this year *.*

Say Don’t Go is also my favourite of the vault tracks, it’s stunning <3 also noticed from your commentary we have the same top 3 taylor albums! laugh.gif

My other favourites from your recent sections are Cha Cha Cha and One of Your Girls. Looking forward to seeing your top 10!

Hey Lunar! hi.gif

Happy to hear that you're a fan of 'Escapism.' too <3 I totally agree that it was one of the most memorable chart moments last year, was so chuffed for her. I see that 'Houdini' hasn't dropped out in your countdown yet so looking forward to seeing how high it can get there! Ooh that's high praise for Future Nostalgia *.* it is a fab album though, was so lucky to see her live during that era!

Ooh the absolute taste of that snap favourite vault song + top 3 Taylor albums wub.gif I find evermore underrated in discourse about Taylor albums but it's so good!

Just saw that 'One Of Your Girls' made it into your countdown as well, yay *.* good to hear that you're a 'Cha Cha Cha' fan too!

thank you <3 shall get to work on it today dance.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 14th January 2024, 11:45 AM
Post #79
Group icon

QUOTE(k👠th @ Jan 14 2024, 11:25 AM) *
hi.gif Jade

Catching up on your 70-31 section

Very apt description of 'Sugarushhh'. I always felt the song could be a minute or so longer but it's great for what it is. Great to see 'Good Lies' and 'Blow Out' so high too! I'm loving how Overmono have got a proper fanbase on Buzzjack now wub.gif

Happy Shygirl made it in with another #2 smash for you, and Romy's 'The Sea' which should place highly on my EOY, thanks to the fantastic TDJ remix. 'Waves' is a fab shoegaze-y deep cut from Art School Girlfriend.

That write up for 'Memories of You' *.* Come through Pitchfork journalist Jade!! I still can't believe MRD never did a single push for it, or even made it a focus track during album release week. It's a lot stronger than 'Let Her Go' and the CAIVA collab that were released instead.

Sam Quealy making the top 50 cheeseblock.png

She is such a kook Selena.png Her album is worth a listen! It's a lot of fun and a bit of a hodgepodge of vastly different pop subgenres. I think my favorite outside of 'Seven Swords' is the fabulous 'Klepto'.

'Tamagotchi Fantasy' was a really cute Eurodance swerve from Mr. Sosa. I love the music video with the horse! I also grew to love this one more and more with repeated listens. It took over 2 months before it peaked at #5 on my chart! I never could get into 'LLYM' sadly, it was giving Shawn Mendes vibes somehow laugh.gif 'AMERICA HAS A PROBLEM' was my 2nd fave of this Beyoncé era after 'BREAK MY SOUL', a shame it didn't smash more on the charts. Also really love 'Pure Smile Snake Venom' and 'Colt' - both tracks deserved better on my chart in hindsight.

Ooh a wild Kath comment just as I'd finished replying to Lunar laugh.gif hey Kerthhh again *.*

Happy it's not just me who really likes 'Sugarushhh' (soz Bré x at least we all stan 'Arla Fearn') ~ excited to see what's to come next, here's hoping their fans (both on here and outside!) continue to grow and we can get the sophomore album into the top 10, #11 was great but so frustrating </3 they are just so consistent with the bangers!

wub.gif Shygirl is well overdue a #1 hit for me now oops! Tbh it took ROSALÍA ages after lots of near-misses and now she collects them like infinity stones so watch this space xo ooh shall definitely keep a look out for Romy in your chart *.* and I'm glad that 'Waves' is a highlight from Art School Girlfriend for you too, the whole album was such a pleasant listen but that one really melted me in particular <3

Pitchfork journalist era omg!!!

kink.gif thank you though, glad you're enjoying the write-ups <3 'Memories of You' does feel like a missed single opportunity especially as that kind of trance sound is so hot right now!

That GIF cheeseblock.png okay you've fully convinced me to check out Sam's album - will do this week as it's so dead for new album releases anyway! 'Tamagotchi Fantasy' does feel like something that should be instant on paper (like it was for Jim) as it's so energetic and cute but yeah needed some time with it! Omg lmao at Shawn Mendes, I get what you mean though as much as I enjoy it rotf.gif yessss that's such a fab top 2 from Beyoncé's latest album *.* I have such a soft spot 'PURE/HONEY' but really love both of those too.

thank you for commenting heart.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 14th January 2024, 01:10 PM
Post #80
Group icon

2 songs that I'd not heard in full yet from this section (hoping I will have already heard all of the top 10 but we'll see!) - both tracks that I had a good idea would be good based on your recap clips and the artists involved and indeed both not letting me down, those being SWIM (yass more melancholy bangers inject these into my veins x) and the always amazing Daniel Avery, bonus points to the latter for having a whole amazing jungle switchup on the back end which wasn't spoiled by that recap clip *.*

After being more critical than I'd like to have been about some of Overmono's other songs on the list let me gush about 'Blow Out' which is definitely my favourite song to date from them (so yay for it also being their highest here!), really perfecting their formula imo with their stickiest vocal sample yet and effortlessly somehow incorporating both some of their grimiest and hardest sounding production with some of their most serene and beautiful wub.gif My other big faves from this section are the two gothy song contest faves who I'm very happy to see continuing to get hits in your chart, especially House Of Harm ofc since they are a proud alumnus of Persephonia, 'Roseglass' is another masterpiece of The Cure worship from them. And then I definitely appreciated the switchup to a more dancefloor ready sound from Vandal Moon on 'Heroine Dancer', yass them serving more tunes this year after their excellent 2022, although they do seem to have gone a little quiet again now without sign of a new full album just yet, hopefully 2024! Both of these bands need to escape obscurity ASAP pls xx

The Jessica Winter track as I alluded to earlier is an absolute bop music.gif I knew I recognised the name Jonathan Snipes when I first saw it but took me Googling it to remind myself he was from clipping., this one is quite a departure from the sound he curated for them but we stan the versatility! And 'The Deal' is another great pick from the Mitski album, builds to an almost Chelsea Wolfe esque level of intensity *.* 'Echolalia' is one I actually underrated a fair bit when it first came out (not that I disliked it but it didn't immediately stand out to me nearly as much as the other singles from Yves' album) but it's sounding a lot better to me now! And 'Out There' is, as with all things yunè pinku, another goodun, Cameo Blush is definitely a name I need to look out for in the future as well based on the couple of songs you've charted from him.

Obviously you know my thoughts on the Troye song, we're all allowed one miss ph34r.gif sorry, I tried to like it xx

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th May 2024, 12:22 AM