BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Kylies 'Cher - Believe' moment
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
pippa
post 10th October 2021, 07:57 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

Santa Baby has fast become one of Kylies biggest selling singles and will continue to increase sales close to 100,000 each year unless chart rules change again.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 14th October 2021, 01:31 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(JustCarolHoney @ Oct 9 2021, 01:50 AM) *
Thanks my luv.

I am still hopeful it is coming. Cher had hers after a few years of flops so I am hoping Kylies is still to come. Cher was in her 50s when she had 'Believe' in the charts. Kylie was in her 30s when she has CGYOMH.

So I am hoping Kylie will have hers before shes 60.

Fingers crossed my hun.

Just Carol Honey heart.gif

I guess it depends on how you look at it. When I hear people talking about a 'Believe' moment, I think about a song released quite far into an artist's career that takes on a life of its own - a phenomenon that doesn't occur again - and 'Can't Get You Out of My Head' very much fits that for Kylie. Both artists have had very different chart histories so it's hard to say Kylie should have a 'Believe' moment now that she's in her 50s or had x amount of years without a hit; their careers didn't align before so why would they now?

If the question is simply can Kylie achieve another hit in her 50s or older, then I agree with the comments raised already in this thread that it's probably only going to happen if she features on a high-profile artist's release or gets a reworking of one of her previous hits. However, I'm very much on this stance:

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Oct 10 2021, 07:03 AM) *
I'm at peace with that now. She sells albums really well, and has big success with tours. Nobody who's been in the industry that long can get hit singles anymore, so to be outperforming all her peers from back in the day is remarkable and something to be thankful for.

(also, just want to address this idea that Cher was achieving flop singles / was quiet on the music scene prior to 'Believe'. Cher has always had dry spells in her chart history, she's had a few big hits but very sporadically, so it wasn't unusual or particularly something that could have been a barrier for her to achieve another hit. She had a #1 in 1995, just three years earlier. It wasn't a shock that 'Believe' was a hit, it was the scale of it.)

+Quote this post
JustCarolHoney
post 19th October 2021, 02:18 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 117,248

Exactly hun. No one was shocked Cher had a hit but it was a 50 odd year old woman having such a huge hit.

You never know what makes a hit a hit hun and I have a feeling Kylie will grace us with the top 10 (hopefully number 1) at some point again before shes 60 hun. Maybe not to the scale of 'Believe' but a nice hit.

Gosh where is everyones fight my huns. If Kylie can come back from the late 90s she can come back from this with a hit huns.

Thanks my huns

Just Carol Honey heart.gif

+Quote this post
pippa
post 19th October 2021, 11:05 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

When Cher released Believe Radio stations were not as ageist as they are now which has a big impact.

+Quote this post
Crown_The_Witch.
post 20th October 2021, 12:32 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Artists such as Kylie, Cher, Madonna etc have very little chance of hits anymore, they get little streaming support, radio support is limited as her performance slots. Maybe the structure of the charts will change again but how the charts currently work the best we can hope for is that their singles even chart at all.

+Quote this post
JustCarolHoney
post 23rd May 2023, 02:11 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Hi my huns

Reviving this thread as I feel this could very well be Kylies Cher moment. Fingers crossed.

Just Carol Honey ❤️

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 23rd May 2023, 02:27 PM
Post #27
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

You were bang on the money with this prediction Carol x

+Quote this post
JustCarolHoney
post 23rd May 2023, 02:42 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(-Jay- @ May 23 2023, 03:27 PM) *
You were bang on the money with this prediction Carol x

Thanks my hun

I am changing my name to cyrstal carol. The crystals told me and paved the way for this prediction. Does anyone remember mystic meg? Or am I the only ancient relic here? Haha. I might have to get my hair cut in a bob style.

Just Carol Honey ❤️

+Quote this post
Sacred3
post 23rd May 2023, 10:44 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 150,421

Music industry has changed now, and it seems older females don't seem to get that moment as much anymore which is sad!

+Quote this post
JustCarolHoney
post 24th May 2023, 06:14 AM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Sacred3 @ May 23 2023, 11:44 PM) *
Music industry has changed now, and it seems older females don't seem to get that moment as much anymore which is sad!

I agree hun but hopefully Padam Padam takes off.

Just Carol Honey ❤️

+Quote this post
Crown_The_Witch.
post 24th May 2023, 11:28 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Sometimes you just wonder about the audience reach and how it can help overcome ageism, Kate Bush Running up that hill was a great example of when a song hits the right audience people engage with it and the artist or their age doesnt come into it its purely the song. Padam Padam on a much smaller scale has successfully managed to make a breakthrough to an audience outside the fanbase and for many of the streams this week its possible the first time some of those people streamed a Kylie song or possibly bought a Kylie song on a digital platform. Radio however is different its like they are afraid ( some stations not all) of playing music by an artist who is anywhere over 30 or 40, instead they should just concentrate on the music and not the age of the artist singing it.

+Quote this post
neill2407
post 25th May 2023, 07:32 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 159,650

As others have said, it was CGYOOMH.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 25th May 2023, 07:44 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

Whilst ‘Padam, Padam’ is not her Cher moment I still think it could turn into a significant ‘event’ - if the single takes off more than it already has then it would be a huge achievement and moment - a 55 year old, decades into her career, connecting with the GP and bucking the industry standard and media expectation.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 25th May 2023, 08:11 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

How many female artists have had a top 40 hit across 5 different decades?

I can think of Cher off the top of my head.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 25th May 2023, 08:11 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

I mean I hope Padam Padam turns into a hit for Kylie, but a Cher moment it is not lol. Believe became the biggest selling single by a female artist ever in the UK.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 25th May 2023, 08:20 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(Jessie Where @ May 25 2023, 09:11 PM) *
How many female artists have had a top 40 hit across 5 different decades?

I can think of Cher off the top of my head.

I think Tina Turner has the record with seven decades (although this is counting 'The Best' re-entering the Top 10 in 2010 for the 2010s).

Diana Ross also spans 5 decades.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 25th May 2023, 08:27 PM
Post #37
Group icon

QUOTE(spiceboy @ May 25 2023, 09:11 PM) *
I mean I hope Padam Padam turns into a hit for Kylie, but a Cher moment it is not lol. Believe became the biggest selling single by a female artist ever in the UK.

I'll come back to you at the end of 2023 when Padam Padam has sold 2 million w00t.gif

+Quote this post
JustCarolHoney
post 26th May 2023, 07:34 AM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(spiceboy @ May 25 2023, 09:11 PM) *

Hi my hun

I dont believe a 'cher' moment is that the song sells and does exactly the same as the believe song. I dont see it as a literal translation of doing exactly the same as believe.

I see a 'cher' moment as when the more unexpected happens and as many others have said, when a song connects with the GP and with more people than the normal fan base. A song that sort of breaks out of the norms or what is to be expected from a female singer of a certain age.

This time a couple of years ago, I do not believe many of you expected Kylie to have a top 40 with no phsyicals and with prettt much one version of the song on streaming and no remixes. I know we got the extended mix yesterdat but I think top 40 was a given by that point.

Thanka my hun

Just Carol Honey ❤

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 26th May 2023, 01:22 PM
Post #39
Group icon

^ Yeah, I agree! I feel like "a Believe moment" in terms of the 2020s really means "defying the odds as an older female artist", rather than it literally being about replicating Believe (i.e. a multi-week huge selling #1).

Back in the 90s it wasn't too unusual for an older artist to rack up some Top 20 singles, or even Top 10. For instance in 1999 we had Diana Ross (aged 55 at the time) and Tina Turner (aged 59 at the time) achieve #9 and #10 peaking singles - Not Over You Yet and When the Heartache Is Over, respectively. Neither had great longevity - Diana 3 weeks Top 40, Tina got 4. Compared to this, Cher's Believe was extraordinary.

So in the 2020s I think the Diana/Tina singles Top 10 successes are more akin to when Kylie reached the 50s area with Say Something and Magic - not massive hits, they had some reach but not extraordinary. Whereas Padam Padam aiming for being well within the Top 40, with all signs pointing towards a few weeks of charting - that's such an outlier, like Believe was in the 90s. Has anyone older than Kylie had a hit single on the level of Padam Padam in the 2020s, outside of Elton John? (Not to knock Elton's successes but collaborating with Dua Lipa and Britney Spears on songs that interpolate his classics... or hopping onto an Ed Sheeran Christmas single... feels quite different to Kylie on a brand new single all by herself).

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 26th May 2023, 01:50 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Plus I suppose we don't know yet just how far 'Padam Padam' can go if it keeps on snowballing, the sky could be the limit!

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 10th May 2024, 11:49 PM