BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
21 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Who should be the next PM, Conservative Leadership Election 2022
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
who is the next PM and Conservative leader?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 57
Guests cannot vote 
danG
post 8th July 2022, 06:51 PM
Post #1
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

pick your poison

I’d like it to be Tom Tugendhat if we have to have a Tory in as he’s my local MP and fairly decent by Tory standards.
If I had to put money on it though at this early stage I’m guessing Liz Truss.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Smint
post 8th July 2022, 07:25 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

Voted for Ben Wallace to get it. Even though he voted Remain the military thing will work. Doubt that they will go for the BAME candidates in the end. And Penny Mordaunt pro trans views would work against her. Tugenhat and Hunt will be seen too left wing.

Don't really want any of them in but voted Tugendhat as people I trust say he's the best of a bad lot (and Hunt did strip the NHS badly in his time as Health secretary). Truss or Patel for a 200+ Labour majority but don't think I could stand the ensuing years.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 8th July 2022, 07:28 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Oh I didn't vote for General Election and Labour to get in post Johnson as just don't think that will happen in a million years.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 8th July 2022, 07:42 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

I think it'll be one of the less household name-y candidates in the end. I've gone for Nadhim Zahawi. If he's likely to be known to the general public for anything, it's for something positive (looking after the vaccine rollout), and his very short stature as Chancellor will mean his name will carry some recency bias. Plus his story is the sort of social climbing story a la John Major that the grassroots tend to like (a refugee from Iraq who came to the UK not speaking English and working his way into the cabinet).

As to who I want, I said someone else. Regardless who'll be the next Prime Minister from any party, I will be disappointed, for different reasons.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 8th July 2022, 07:47 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

Hopefully it will be either Wallace, Mordaunt or Zahawi. I don't know much about the three of them though. Unlike Smint above, I reckon Wallace might be badly affected in this leadership race by the fact he was pro-Remain. So I think it will be Mordaunt, Zahawi, or Javid, who also has a good chance.

Sunak is too tainted by Partygate and the tax story I think to be successful this time for leadership.

This post has been edited by The Sake: 8th July 2022, 07:59 PM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 8th July 2022, 07:53 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jul 8 2022, 08:42 PM) *
I think it'll be one of the less household name-y candidates in the end. I've gone for Nadhim Zahawi. If he's likely to be known to the general public for anything, it's for something positive (looking after the vaccine rollout), and his very short stature as Chancellor will mean his name will carry some recency bias. Plus his story is the sort of social climbing story a la John Major that the grassroots tend to like (a refugee from Iraq who came to the UK not speaking English and working his way into the cabinet).

As to who I want, I said someone else. Regardless who'll be the next Prime Minister from any party, I will be disappointed, for different reasons.

Zahawi's first brush with fame / infamy was when he claimed the cost of heating his stables on expenses. If he wins, I have a vague feeling the opposition parties might possibly want to mention that once or twice.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 8th July 2022, 08:12 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Zahawi reminds me of someone in the apprentice!

Voted that I think it’ll be Sunak and would like Sajid Javid!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 8th July 2022, 08:14 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Preferably none of them, but if we HAVE to have one I'd go with Penny Mordaunt on the basis that she's really good with LGBT issues and doesn't seem completely deranged like most of the others. Or maybe even that Tom dude.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 8th July 2022, 09:39 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Baker rules himself out but throws his support behind the evil with no redeeming features Suella Braverman. Luckily I think she would repulse too many voters.

Another anti trans anti woke far right candidate Kemi Badenoch is going to stand too.

You would want to congratulate the Tories for having so much diversity in their leadership contenders if it wasn't for the fact they were so scary and vicious.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 9th July 2022, 01:50 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

I honestly don’t know who will be next Tory PM. I think it’s wide open at the moment but I hope it’s not anyone who has served under Johnson. Sunak, Truss and Javid are all responsible to some degree for the shameful and incompetency of the Johnson government.

I would rather we have a general election and either a labour minority government or labour led coalition. I don’t think Keir Starmer is the strongest of leaders but at least he has integrity and people need to give him and labour a chance. The Tories have been in power for over 12 years now and during that time they have ruthlessly slashed local authority funding resulting in significant cuts to public services. There has been a big increase in homelessness and many families are having to rely on food banks due to poverty. Brexit is a complete mess and is far from being done and has caused significant division in this country. It could yet lead to sanctions and a trade war with the EU if the legislation to override the NI protocol is passed. The Tories shambolic handling of the pandemic, inadequate response to the cost of living crisis and various scandals has shown they cannot be trusted and we need a change of government more than ever.

This post has been edited by slowdown73: 9th July 2022, 01:54 AM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 9th July 2022, 02:39 AM
Post #11
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Mordaunt is getting mauled on Twitter by TERFs for not being transphobic so that would be funny. She's probably the best of this list even if she's still AWFUL.

On an electoral basis I'd love to see the inept Braverman go up against Labour, but I can't see her lasting more than 2 rounds.

Sunak seems the frontrunner and I can't really see past it being him right now. But plenty to then hit him on for his huge role in the Johnson administration, his offshore activities and his association with the high-tax Conservatives which Conservative members seem to loathe...

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 9th July 2022, 08:32 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Nadine Dorries said yesterday that she's considering throwing her hat into the ring to "keep Boris Johnson's flame alive" (lol)

If she actually goes for it, I want her to win. It'll guarantee their swift journey into electoral oblivion and PMQs every week will be a must-see.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 9th July 2022, 08:44 AM
Post #13
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Omfg Naddine Dorres!!! Destroy the party forever please x

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 9th July 2022, 08:58 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Its come to something when Jeremy Hunt is perhaps the least incapable candidate on a ballot, he does his homework and understands issues, I have it on good authority. Tories will be hoping for someone a bit more to the right and Brexity, but falling short of Farage this time.

Brexit is going to roll on though, for years, because it will continue to harm the economy and people's standard of living until everyone faces reality and realises they were sold a turkey by Johnson and that they aren't better off in any substantial way after a decade of promises to Make Britain Great Again. It's been a terrific advert for not leaving the EU though, so I expect the UK will become increasingly isolated as the years pass.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 9th July 2022, 10:06 AM
Post #15
Group icon

QUOTE(Jessie Where @ Jul 9 2022, 08:32 AM) *
Nadine Dorries said yesterday that she's considering throwing her hat into the ring to "keep Boris Johnson's flame alive" (lol)

If she actually goes for it, I want her to win. It'll guarantee their swift journey into electoral oblivion and PMQs every week will be a must-see.

does she have a Boris Johnson body pillow? (rhetorical question dear god rhetorical question)

I'd be for it, but it looks like Kemi Badenoch already has culture war candidate sewn up better than the literal culture (war) secretary.

it should go without saying that the above is a load of tosh, starts out by talking about an intellectual grasp of what is required rather than populism, platitudes, empty rhetoric and polarisation, and then goes on to talk exclusively about populism, platitudes, empty rhetoric and polarisation and why low taxes and small government are absolutely the best way forward irrespective of the problems actually facing the country. And she could be really dangerous because I've seen her do some stuff in the Commons and she's a relatively decent debater which is a rare quality among Tory MPs. She could make their arguments sound pretty good to voters. Plus all of the free speech brigade will be loving that.

in a first for Conservative leadership candidates she's actually attractive ph34r.gif and that's not entirely flippant talking, image can make a huge difference once it gets to an open vote. Especially when so many of the candidates are unknowns rather than people who've spent decades angling towards being PM like Johnson had - this will also help Sunak who's somewhat conventionally more better looking than most of his rivals.

She's terrible but I wouldn't count her out of the race yet. In fact, Badenoch and Sunak are probably the two I want to win least both because of the damage they could do and how they could both look as young, fresh conservative stars once installed as PM.

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 9th July 2022, 10:37 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

It blows my mind seeing Tories use their immigrant parents as aspirational heartwarming stories only to continuously support racist policies that would pull the ladder up from anyone wanting the same today.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 9th July 2022, 11:40 AM
Post #17
Group icon

No Ben Wallace!

That's one potentially dangerous option out of the way.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 9th July 2022, 11:45 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Oh surprise and in some ways of the ones who thought could get ot would have put Ben Wallace at the better end of the spectrum.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 9th July 2022, 07:58 PM
Post #19
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Lots of ppl think it'll be Rishi Sunak- I think that potentially the briefings against him will be quite strong and sustained, but we'll see. Can't imagine he'll be all that popular with the public at large either really (so obviously a good choice if we want the Tories to collapse!) Went for: Nadhim Zahawi. Pretty much for the same reasons as Brett-Butler and also because the Tories love the peak snake energy of accepting the post of a better job in full knowledge that the next day you will move against the PM and ask him to resign.

Hope for: general election and Keir Starmer (even tho he is duller than a weekend in Watford) but more realistically hoping for Tom Tugendhat.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 9th July 2022, 08:14 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

Some of these candidates seem worse than Boris, at least he generally stayed away from the anti-woke stuff.

+Quote this post

21 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 4th May 2024, 02:37 AM