BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Janet Jackson - Singles Rate [RESULTS], FULL RESULTS ON PAGE 9!!!
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post 16th November 2023, 11:54 PM
Post #41
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Strobe lights make everything sexier

36. Rock With U | 6.733 Highest Scores: 10: (blacksquare, Math), Lowest Scores: 1: (popchartfreak)
35. Because of Love | 6.866 Highest Scores: 8: (Math), Lowest Scores: 6.5/6: (Liam, Bjork, popchartfreak, Simon, blacksquare)
34. Come Back To Me | 6.9 Highest Scores: 8: (Sour Candy, Simon. Cremey, Liam.k), Lowest Scores: 5: (dandy, Pandamic Tension)

#36 is Rock With U, released in February 2008 as the 2nd single from Janet's 10th studio album Discipline and was written by Ne-Yo, Jermaine Dupri, and Eric Stamile, with production by the latter two. The song was recorded with the gay community in mind, as Janet felt the necessity to do something for her gay fans, as well as the wider community members. Despite gaining positive critical reviews the song was met with very minimal success as it only managed to chart on the US Bubbling Under chart peaking at #121. Due to this underperforming the album's next 2 singles 'Luv' & 'Can't B Good' would only receive very limited promo & therefore both of which failed to make any significant impact on any worldwide chart. After the song was released, Janet was awarded the Vanguard Award at the 19th annual GLAAD Media Awards, honoring her contributions in promoting equal rights among the gay community. This was a great follow-up choice to 'Feedback', but sadly it fell under the radar. A shame really as the crisp electronic beats, the sharp laser like synths and sensual vocals makes this a cute little bop, although the autotune in the chorus wasn't really needed, but still a fun track.

#35 is Because of Love, released in January 1994 as the 4th single from Janet's fifth studio album Janet and was written and produced by Janet and Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Upon release the song peaked at #10 on the US Top 100, her first solo single to miss the top 5 there since 'The Pleasure Principle' in 1987. Elsewhere it was a moderate success by reaching top 10 in Canada, top 20 peaks in UK & Top 40 peaks in New Zealand, Australia & Netherlands. This is a nice playful little pop/funk number with Janet letting loose and just having fun over the catchy melodies. Sure this isn't one of her most memorable hits but its decent enough.

#34 is Come Back To Me, released in June 1990 as the 5th single from Janet's 4th studio album Rhythm Nation 1814, while in the UK it was issued as the 3rd single in January 1990. It was written and produced by Janet and Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Janet also recorded a Spanish version of the song titled "Vuelve a mν". Upon release it became a commercial success on the charts by reaching top 3 peaks in USA & Canada, while also reaching the top 20 in the UK. This is a stunning silky smooth ballad swathed in elegant instrumentals and cascading strings that goes beautifully with Janet's sombre vocals. Quite surprised that this was the first to fall from the incredible 'Rhythm Nation' album, but something had to drop out first I suppose.

This post has been edited by Nina West: 6th December 2023, 02:09 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 17th November 2023, 12:46 AM
Post #42
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

'Rock With U' is absolutely phenomenal.

That era really deserved better in general.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 17th November 2023, 06:16 PM
Post #43
Group icon

Ready for some more yahoo.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 17th November 2023, 08:18 PM
Post #44
Group icon

Light skin, dark skin, my Asian persuasion

33. Alright | 7.0 Highest Scores: 9: (popchartfreak), Lowest Scores: 3: (Bjork)
32. Feedback | 7.1 Highest Scores: 10: (Jessie Where), Lowest Scores: 1: (popchartfreak)
31. Whoops Now | 7.1 Highest Scores: 10: (Pandamic Tension), Lowest Scores: 5: (Liam, blacksquare)

Heading into the 7 averages now at #33 with Alright, released in March 1990 as the 4th single from Janet's 4th studio album Rhythm Nation 1814, while in the UK, it was issued as the album's 5th single in June 1990. Written and produced by Janet and Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. The song samples Lyn Collins' 1972 song "Think (About It)" and the song's final hook samples B.T. Express' 1974 song "Do You Like It". For it's single release it was recorded again with rapper Heavy D for the music video. Upon release it peaked at #4 on the US Billboard charts, making it the only single out of 7 to not reach the top 2. Elsewhere it managed a top 10 peak in Canada, top 20 peaks in Ireland & UK and top 40 peaks in Belgium, New Zealand and Netherlands. The song earned Janet two Grammy award nominations for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance and Best R&B Song. The music video won a Soul Train Music Award for Best R&B/Soul or Rap Music Video in 1991. In 2001 during MTV first ever 'MTV Icon' series, American singer Usher paid tribute to Janet by re-enacting the routine from the song's music video. A breezy unrelenting bop with dazzling harmonies, funky new jack swing beats and stellar production that employs looped sound effects, pitched vocals and of course the genius uses of samples that brings everything together full circle. A fabulous offering from her legendary 'Rhythm Nation' album.

#32 is Feedback, released in December 2007 as the lead single from Janet's 10th studio album Discipline and was written and produced by Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins and D'Mile, with additional writing from Tasleema Yasin and LaShawn Daniels. This was Janet's first release with new label Island Records after departing from Virgin Records and saw her returning to an experimental dance-pop sound in contrast to the subdued rhythmic feel of prior album "20 Y.O". Originally Janet wanted to go on tour in 2007; in support her previous album, however, Island Records executives asked her to record a new album and would mark the first time where she did not write or co-write any of the songs on the album. Upon release it received acclaim from music critics and became a success on the US Billboard charts by reaching a #19 peak, becoming her 29th top 20 hit and her highest charting hit since 2001. Internationally it would struggle in several countries due to it's rush release and lack of promotion. But would find success with a top 10 peak in Canada & hit top 20 peaks in Norway, New Zealand & Belgium. But in the UK it would become her first lead single to miss the top 75 by peaking at a paltry #114. The song received nominations for various awards, including three International Dance Music Awards. It was nice to see Janet getting a brief late career revival (of sorts) with this slick electropop number with its grinding beats, infectious hooks, pulsating grooves, and stylish production with plenty of that Janet swagger which felt lacking on her previous album. This gives her sound a much needed update, and Janet's on brilliantly filthy form here, but this isn't quite up there with some of her more iconic past hits, it still deserved so much more success than it got.

#31 is Whoops Now, released in March 1995 as a double a-side release alongside "What'll I'll Do" as the overall 9th and final single from Janet's 5th studio album Janet and was written and produced by Janet and Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. The song was added as a hidden track on the regular edition of the album. after the interlude "Sweet Dreams", while the UK and Japanese pressings of the album list the tracks separately. Upon release the dual single was successful by topping the charts in New Zealand, top 10 peaks in Austria, France and UK and hit top 20 peaks in Germany, Switzerland and Ireland. Neither of the songs were given an American release. Cute, fun and playful little bop with a sparkling 60's Motown feel to it. Okay it feels very throwaway, but marked a nice ending to the album cycle and begin with the next chapter of her career.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 17th November 2023, 08:21 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Break the tension

I can't remember how or why, but they somehow botched the release of 'Feedback' in 2008 for it to end up that low. I think they randomly released it on iTunes one day with no build-up or fanfare weeks before its official release was due and it just did nothing. At the time I mistakenly thought it could potentially be her 'Maneater' laugh.gif

(Really should've been tbh, it still slaps and has the most quotable one-liners!)

This post has been edited by Jessie Where: 17th November 2023, 08:22 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 17th November 2023, 08:45 PM
Post #46
Group icon

Before we head into the top 30, here's a recap of the results 31-40

31. Whoops Now – 7.1
32. Feedback – 7.1
33. Alright – 7.0
34. Come Back to Me – 6.9
35. Because of Love – 6.866
36. Rock With U – 6.733
37. Son of a Gun (ft Carly Simon & Missy Elliot) – 6.666
38. No Sleeep – 6.6
39. Just a Little While – 6.566
40. BURNITUP (ft Missy Elliot) – 6.366

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 17th November 2023, 09:05 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

I adored Feedback back in the day, but it feels kinda bit flat now.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 18th November 2023, 02:48 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Come Back To Me wasn't one of my fave tracks off Rhythm Nation but the UK label was panicking by this time that Miss You Much and Rhythm nation had both bombed relatively in the fast-changing dance music scene in the UK, and bizarrely it did a bit better, and so did Alright thanks to the remixes to make it sound more like 1990 than 1986, but I much-preferred the US versions of that one and Escapade - I was in Florida in the Spring so those were the ones I heard on radio, and I bought the album in Orlando too. I'm still miffed at the singles underperforming, and so for once I'm giving top marks! Alright deserved better, but if judging is based on the UK single version, I'm not entirely surprised, though it was OK.

Whoops Now is delightful, but I was really pissed off with hidden tracks on albums in the 90's, wasting time fast forwarding! Worst of all was the Lovesexy album, just one track, OMG that was effing annoying having to fast forward to get to the best tracks. Prince managed to piss me off so many times, over so many things, till I finally gave up on him circa 1994 after being a huge fan teresa.gif .

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 18th November 2023, 03:52 PM
Post #49
Group icon

We're over the half-way mark now and before we head into the top 30 here's a reminder of what's left from each era:

Janet Jackson - 0/3
Dream Street - 0/3
Control - 6/7
Rhythm Nation - 6/8
Janet - 6/9
The Velvet Rope - 5/6
All For You - 3/4
Damita Jo - 1/3
20 Y.O. - 0/2
Discipline - 0/2
Unbreakable - 0/4

Greatest Hits - 2/4
Collaborations/Other - 1/7

Another 2 eras gone with 'Discipline' & 'Unbreakable' both out of the running. 'Damita Jo' is hanging on by a thread with just 1 song left (luckily it's a great song) hopefully it can last a little longer. Interestingly enough 'Control', 'Rhythm Nation' & 'Janet' each has 6 songs left with 'The Velvet Rope' holding on strong with 5.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 18th November 2023, 04:51 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

I never understood why they changed the order in the UK for the Rhythm Nation singles
sure Escapade sounds more like a hit than Come back to me

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 19th November 2023, 12:22 PM
Post #51
Group icon

2 will drop in the next set of results

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 19th November 2023, 03:57 PM
Post #52
Group icon

What is happening to this world we live in

30. You Want This (ft MC Lyte) | 7.166 Highest Scores: 9: (Jessie Where, Cremey), Lowest Scores: 6/6.5: (Bjork, Simon, Davidson, vibe, Pandamic Tension)
29. State of the World | 7.2 Highest Scores: 9: (Sour Candy, blacksquare), Lowest Scores: 4: (Bjork, Pandamic Tension)

#30 is You Want This, released in October 1994 as the 7th single from Janet Jackson's 5th studio album Janet and was written and produced by Janet and Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. The single version featured an additional rap verse from MC Lyte. The song is based on samples from Diana Ross & the Supremes' 1968 song "Love Child" and Kool & the Gang's 1973 song "Jungle Boogie", The single contains the then unreleased B-side '70's Love Groove', which also appears on her 1995 Janet Remixed album and in the USA it was listed as a double a-side with this track, starting on its 3rd week, due to it getting a lot of airplay. MC Lyte and Janet were already friends before the collaboration and the rapper was due to go on the U.S. leg of the tour. The label asked MC Lyte to do a song with Janet to perform on the tour, and that's how the collaboration happened. The song would later listed in the book "Rock Song Index: The 7500 Most Important Songs for the Rock and Roll Era" in 2005. In the USA it was released as the album's 6th and final single there and became another success for her by reaching a #8 peak on the US Top 100. and was moderately successful worldwide with top 20 peaks in New Zealand, UK, Canada & Australia. The samples on this number gives the song a wonderful soulful vibe and blends nicely with the house music beats. Even adding the killer B-side '70's Love Groove' was a nice touch to the release and considering that this was single #6 from an already massive selling album, it still managed to have a decent chart performance.

#29 is State of the World, released in February 1991 as the 8th and final single from Janet's 4th studio album Rhythm Nation 1814 and was written and produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, with additional writing from Janet herself. During the recording of the album, Janet and the producers watched television, especially news channels, and this song was inspired by that and lyrically it focuses on homeless people. In fact the entire concept of the album emerged from what was going on in the world. Upon release the song wasn't given a commercial release in the USA, instead it was only released to radio as a promo release to boost album sales, where it managed a #5 peak on the airplay charts. Elsewhere it received a limited worldwide release in June 1991 in Canada and Australia where it peaked at #11 and #94 respectively. Author Fred Bronson noted it likely would have been the album's eighth top ten hit if a commercial product had been distributed. Many artists have tried and failed to create a song with an important message enjoyable, as a lot of the time they come off as too preachy and lacking any sort of accessible hooks. Thankfully Janet manages to overcome this thanks to the sharp production which gives the song an aggressive yet enjoyable edge thanks to the grinding basslines, funky beats and catchy hooks. A firm highlight on Janet's legendary 'Rhythm Nation' album.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 19th November 2023, 04:02 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

70's Love Groove is so good, shame it never appeared any of her studio albums.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 19th November 2023, 04:46 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

I love the original Love Child to bits. so that didn't hurt my vote for You Want This, and State Of The World made my charts as an album track, it's better than at least one more official single off the album, cough, Black Cat, cough...oops! Sorry not sorry laugh.gif(I do like Black cat tho)

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 19th November 2023, 05:57 PM
Post #55
Group icon
Break the tension

I have a real soft spot for 'You Want This', it doesn't really go anywhere but I love the snappy production!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 20th November 2023, 10:21 AM
Post #56
Group icon

The next lot will be in 3's, then the top 25 will be in single posts.

+Quote this post
Davidson
post 20th November 2023, 04:02 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,847

No real upsets so far.

I would have personally put 'Rock With U' higher but apart from that, all makes sense.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 20th November 2023, 05:06 PM
Post #58
Group icon

Learned to survive in your fictitious world

28. You | 7.357 Highest Scores: 10: (Cremey), Lowest Scores: 2: (popchartfreak)
27. Any Time, Any Place | 7.4 Highest Scores: 10: (dandy, Davidson), Lowest Scores: 5: (Bjork, Simon)
26. Throb | 7.433 Highest Scores: 11: (Davidson), Lowest Scores: 2: (popchartfreak)

#28 is You, released in September 1998 as the 5th single from Janet's 6th studio album The Velvet Rope and was written and produced by Janet along with her collaborators Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, with additional writing by Renι Elizondo Jr, Janet's husband at the time, though this fact was kept secret until the couple filed for divorce in 2000. The song samples "The Cisco Kid" by War, and due to it's sample usage, its composers also received writing credits. The song was chosen by the label for release in the UK market only, however it was ineligible to chart there due to a lack of a commercial release. It was later released in Japan in December 1998. Many critics at the time thought that the song's lyrics were directed at her brother Michael, and even compared her vocals to those of his on the track. The sampling from The War's "Cisco Kid" works wonderfully here and gives it a nice vintage sound with slick basslines. Janet's deep and cutting vocals goes quite well with the song's frenetic trip hop production and hard edged grooves. Great song that could have gotten some great chart action if given a proper chance.

#27 is Any Time, Any Place, released in May 1994 as the 5th single from Janet's 5th studio album Janet, and was written and produced by Janet Jackson, along with production duo Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Lyrically, the song is based on sexual liberation, similar to the music of Barry White and Marvin Gaye. American singer R Kelly made a remix of the song which would later appear on Janet's 1995 remix album Janet Remixed. Upon release the song reached a #2 peak on the US Billboard charts and became another R&B chart topper for her and held the #1 spot for 10 weeks and became her biggest hit on that chart. Elsewhere it saw limited success by reaching top 20 peaks in UK and New Zealand, as well as top 40 peaks in Canada, Australia and Iceland. Since it's release the song has been sampled by other artists such as Da Deputy in 2012 and Kendrick Lamar & Drake on their hit 'Poetic Justice' also in 2012. A seductive and luxurious slow-jam number with Janet's sensual vocals flows over the gorgeous jazz-flecked beats & sultry R&B grooves giving this a rather cozy and intimate feeling.

#26 is Throb, released in June 1994 as the 6th single from Janet's 5th studio album Janet and was written and produced by Janet, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis and is a house song with a nu jazz influence. Upon release the song was well received by music critics and it was only given a commercial release in the Netherlands where it peaked at #20 on the Tipparade chart. In the USA it wasn't given a physical release, but was sent to Mainstream radio and peaked at #66 on the airplay charts. The song's B-side 'And On and On' went onto to peak at #28 on the same chart. The track also enjoyed success on the Dance and R&B charts. A key cut from Janet's iconic 5th album that may be very light on lyrics, but the fusion of house music and saxophone loops creates a 90's dance classic. The production may seem a little dated now, but at the time this was quite groundbreaking as it manages to make a sex song sound enjoyable thanks to its pulsating beats and Janet's fun vocals.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 21st November 2023, 04:11 PM
Post #59
Group icon

Once this gets to another page I will post the next entry which will be a 90's Janet single

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 22nd November 2023, 12:38 AM
Post #60
Group icon

Ready for another entry

+Quote this post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 15th May 2024, 06:27 AM