BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RIP Paul Cattermole
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
ChrisJK
post 7th April 2023, 03:48 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 122,015

I really do not know what to say.

Such a shock and so very sad.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 7th April 2023, 03:59 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Apr 7 2023, 03:59 PM) *

sad.gif

That is such a great photo of him! wub.gif

Like everyone else I am utterly shocked by the news, poor guy, his poor family and friends how utterly sad.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 7th April 2023, 04:00 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

It's really scary/sad how we seem to have lost quite a few members of a big pop group relatively young in recent times sad.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 7th April 2023, 04:14 PM
Post #24
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Gosh, that's a real shock sad.gif So young and just when they were reuniting as well, RIP

+Quote this post
Brer
post 7th April 2023, 04:22 PM
Post #25
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Well this is not the way I'd have wanted to make my first post in this forum but wow this is very out of the blue and a bit of a heart sinking moment seeing this pop up on the front page of BBC News... sad.gif RIP Paul.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 7th April 2023, 04:31 PM
Post #26
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

A real loss and so young as well. RIP sad.gif

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 7th April 2023, 04:47 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

This has thrown me, very unexpected. He was arguably one of the more talented singers in the group.

You are never prepared for news like this. RIP.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 7th April 2023, 05:15 PM
Post #28
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

f***, this is heartbreaking beyond words 😢

First Sarah Harding, and now Paul. I'm so sad.

Can't begin to imagine how firstly his family are feeling but secondly the rest of the band in all of this.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 7th April 2023, 06:09 PM
Post #29
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Still feeling so stunned by this. sad.gif

S Club 7 website has a tribute page:

If you would like to share your condolences, please direct any emails and messages to mail@sclub7.com and we will ensure they are shared with Paul’s family and friends

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 7th April 2023, 06:43 PM
Post #30
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

A touching Guardian article:

Paul Cattermole was the endearing wild card in S Club 7’s peppy pop pack
by Michael Cragg https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/apr/...lub-7-wild-card

The enigmatic singer, dancer and actor, who has died aged 46, was cheekily self-aware about the mechanics of his industry

In the post-Spice Girls pure pop boom, the all-singing, all-dancing S Club 7 came to epitomise a certain turn of the millennium optimism. Their songs were peppy, sugary and loaded with gleeful generalities about reaching for the stars and forgetting about your cares. For the majority of their lineup, and for most of the pop stars at the time, landing a place in a pop act was the fulfilment of a childhood dream, or the perfect chance to escape a mundane job. S Club member Bradley McIntosh, for example, was working in a Pizza Hut when he got the call. For Paul Cattermole, the band’s most enigmatic member, who died on 6 April aged 46, there was no clamouring for an audition. He was scouted at his musical theatre school – at a time when his first rock band were playing small shows – and thrust into the world of pop.

Even in the group’s official book, 7 Heaven, released in 2001 after the band had scored seven Top 3 singles in a row and starred in three hugely successful CBBC TV shows, Cattermole’s description of being picked for the band is matter-of-fact: “I was asked to audition for the band and I got in – it’s as simple as that!”

Pieced together by Simon Fuller (the S in the name refers to him), while the svengali was still licking his wounds following his sacking by the Spice Girls, each member of the band had a role to play. While Jo O’Meara and McIntosh handled the majority of the vocals, Cattermole’s role – outside of being a roguish Smash Hits heartthrob with a goatee – was to be “enthusiastic”, as he put it in a 2019 interview with the Guardian. The restrictive nature of the pop machine would often rub up against Cattermole’s desire for something more: “Top of the Pops magazine, Smash Hits, all this sort of stuff was massive: ‘So Paul, what’s your favourite colour?’ Please! Ask me about the theory of relativity!”

Described in 7 Heaven as “a bit of thinker”, he was often the one who cared about the band’s perception. After the excellent, disco-tinged Don’t Stop Movin’ earned them a slither of credibility – helped by Cattermole, McIntosh and Jon Lee being arrested for smoking weed in central London, leading to copious “Spliff Club 7” headlines – it was Cattermole, realising the chance the band had to move beyond DayGlo kid-friendly pop, who pushed for the follow-up single to be equally as exciting. He didn’t get his way.

Speaking to me for a book about the pop of the era, former Smash Hits journalist Hannah Verdier told me Cattermole cared more than most of his peers about the industry around the band: “When they did Don’t Stop Movin’, we were at the TV show CD:UK and Paul was telling everyone it was behaving like a No 1 record. He was going into the mechanics of it.”

Perhaps it was inevitable that, in 2002, after three albums in three years, two Brit awards, the spin-off TV shows and the spin-off mini-me band S Club Juniors, Cattermole hopped off the S Club 7 conveyor belt. Keen to focus on his pre-S Club nu-metal project Skua, he told the Sun he wanted “a change musically”. Unfortunately, success was fleeting and Skua split a year later, only for another reunion in 2014 to be scuppered by the return of S Club 7 and a subsequent arena tour.

The money made from that tour, Cattermole revealed in 2018, was used to cover his spiralling debts. He also revealed he’d tried to sell both of his Brit awards on eBay. After dabbling in radio, theatre and tarot reading, Cattermole was due to reunite with S Club 7 again later this year for a sold-out arena tour marking the band’s 25th anniversary.

It sometimes seemed that Cattermole felt his life had been overly defined by S Club 7. “It was five years of my life,” he told The Guardian in 2019. “I definitely thought, when I was 20, that by the time I was 40 it would be a done thing. And it’s not … I’ve been answering S Club questions for 20 years.”

But as the band’s unknowable entity, there was something magnetic about him. Vibrant on stage but quiet off, cheeky but also deadly serious, he played every great pop band’s best role: the wild card. “It is so important to remember how great so many things about the band were,” he said in 2019, aware of the nostalgia he instilled in a generation of young pop fans now all grown up. “That time in people’s lives. That optimistic time.”

+Quote this post
Crown_The_Witch.
post 7th April 2023, 07:07 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Awful news, total shock and so sad, rip Paul.

+Quote this post
GraceAJX
post 7th April 2023, 07:22 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 104,406

So sad sad.gif Rest in peace heart.gif

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 7th April 2023, 07:46 PM
Post #33
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

Very sad new to wake up too. Condolences to his family, friends and the band.

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 7th April 2023, 08:17 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 120,499

It's starting to sink and it truly is heart wrenching sad.gif

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 7th April 2023, 08:23 PM
Post #35
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

RIP, this is a massive and awful shock sad.gif

+Quote this post
Maz!
post 7th April 2023, 08:32 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 20,217

QUOTE(Slayer @ Apr 7 2023, 10:17 PM) *
It's starting to sink and it truly is heart wrenching sad.gif

I’m still massively shocked and I planned to listen to their music tonight but still can’t get to it .

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 7th April 2023, 08:49 PM
Post #37
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Shit this is dreadful!

Hoping there was nothing in their contracts or about the reunion that led to this.

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 7th April 2023, 09:09 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

This is devastating news. He was such an integral part of the band.

RIP Paul

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 7th April 2023, 09:50 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 120,499

Marvin from Miami 7

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 7th April 2023, 11:09 PM
Post #40
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Such gut-wrenching news to hear, a bolt from the blue seeing it on the BBC News website, a great loss this is.

RIP Paul.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 10th May 2024, 01:29 PM