BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Mack's #ThrowbackThursday 00s Edition, 16th May- KT Tunstall, The Killers, Kelly Osbourne
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Mack.
post 3rd August 2023, 01:46 PM
Post #41
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

This Week:

2000- Ronan Keating- Life Is A Rollercoaster

[b]2003- DJ Sammy- Sunlight

2005- Coldplay- Speed of Sound

Commentary will follow.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 9th August 2023, 01:15 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

A good Ronan track imo. 'Sunlight' is lovely as evident from listening to DJ Sammy's album at the start of the year and poor Coldplay being denied by that pesky thing.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 10th August 2023, 02:18 PM
Post #43
Group icon

This Week:

2000- S Club 7- Reach

The first song for this week is: 'Reach' which was the lead single from S Club 7's second studio album '7'. This would go and peak at #2 in the UK. It was the theme tune to the second series of the group's CBBC series 'L.A 7'. I can remember this was massive during that year of 2000, the times of coming home from school and watching L.A 7'. It is quite a poignant song to listen to now following the sad news earlier this year of Paul Cattermole who passed away.

2003- Triple 8- Give Me A Reason

'Give Me A Reason' was the second single for Triple 8. They were marketed to be Britain's answer to *NSYNC. This would peak at #9 in the UK. Despite this they were dropped in 2004 leaving their debut album 'Heavy W8' unreleased. I can vaguely remember it from them, it was OK from them.

2009- The Veronicas- Untouched

'Untouched' was the debut single to be released in the UK for Austalian duo The Veronicas from their second studio album 'Hook Me Up'. It was originally released in Australia in 2007. In the UK it was released in 2009 where it would peak at #8 in the UK for them. It would remian in the UK Top 10 for them for 5 weeks, in the US this would peak at #17 for them. Probably didn't appreciate this song when it was released, but throughout the years it is one that I wouldn't tire of.

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post 11th August 2023, 11:29 AM
Post #44
Group icon
Perfectly Pop
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 3,033

Untouched is such a good song!

But yeah Reach is THAT bop!

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 11th August 2023, 12:15 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

I remember hearing Untouched on the Fifa 09 soundtrack way before it became a UK chart hit. Both that and 4ever are great songs.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 11th August 2023, 12:25 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Rob aah

The timing of 'Untouched' popping up here at this time �� (you'll know in a day or two x). I was one of the only ones not keen on it but that's down to the squeaky vocals for me especially back then. I've grown to like it more now though after being a fan of a lot of The Veronica's stuff in the last decade. The strings/violin intro and elsewhere have always been a great piece on it though.

'Reach' is joyous pop banger and I'll have to check Triple 8 as I don't think I've heard that or anything of theirs but it was in 2003 when I wasn't following quite so much!

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 17th August 2023, 02:35 PM
Post #47
Group icon

This Week:

2001- S Club 7- Don't Stop Movin'

The first song for this week is from I apologize I know we saw them last week but it is another song from S Club 7 with 'Don't Stop Movin' which was the lead single from their third studio album 'Sunshine'. This would have feature lead vocals from Bradley and Jo. This would go and reach #1 in the UK and become the first song in 3 years to have two runs at #1. This was probably their signature song, this is an anthem from them and it is a pop classic from them. I remember listening to this a heck of a lot. I remember thinking when thinking one of the lyrics was the ass club beat, not S Club beat.

2004- O-Zone- Dragostea Din Tei

This may not be a popular choice or not, but we have this from Moldovan pop group O-Zone. This would go and peak at #3 in the UK where it would stay in the UK Top 10 for 9 weeks, also known as the 'Numa Numa song' and was part of one viral video 'Numa Numa' from Gary Brolsma. In 2008 this was sampled by rapper T.I which featured Rihanna in 'Live Your Life'. This was everywhere when this came out, I was a fan of this and still am.

2006- Supermode- Tell Me Why

'Tell Me Why' was a song that was produced by Swedish DJs Steve Angello and Axwell under the name 'Supermode' This would interpolate two Bronski Beat songs which were 'Smalltown Boy' and 'Why'. This would go and peak at #13 in the UK. In the music video, it featured go karters having a race and three woman in there for some reason. This is a great tune from them, I think I remember liking it because there were go-karters in it at the time.

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 17th August 2023, 05:34 PM
Post #48
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

I adore Liene Candy's cover version of O-Zone hit, it was # 1 in my chart.

This post has been edited by Last Dreamer: 17th August 2023, 05:37 PM

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post 17th August 2023, 05:40 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Perfectly Pop

I wish there was more from that boyband. I feel like they arrived at a crucial time in my gay awakening kink.gif

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 17th August 2023, 08:16 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Rob aah

O-zone is naff but it's quite the tune ngl. 'Don't Stop Movin' is a pop banger and the Supermode track is great also!

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 18th August 2023, 01:13 PM
Post #51
Group icon

QUOTE(Last Dreamer @ Aug 17 2023, 06:34 PM) *
I adore Liene Candy's cover version of O-Zone hit, it was # 1 in my chart.

Hi,

Thanks for commenting, smile.gif

Sounds all right Liene Candy's cover version of the O-Zone hit, can't say I've ever heard this until now.

QUOTE(Yobnedor @ Aug 17 2023, 06:40 PM) *
I wish there was more from that boyband. I feel like they arrived at a crucial time in my gay awakening kink.gif

Don't think they ever did a follow-up to this here in the UK.

Thanks for commenting, smile.gif

QUOTE(Roba. @ Aug 17 2023, 09:16 PM) *
O-zone is naff but it's quite the tune ngl. 'Don't Stop Movin' is a pop banger and the Supermode track is great also!

Hi.

Yes it's a bit naff, O-Zone but I enjoyed it, 'Don't Stop Movin' is indeed a pop banger and glad you are liking the Supermode track.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 21st August 2023, 12:31 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

The lead signer from O-Zone Dan Balan put out this brilliant pop song in 2012:

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 31st August 2023, 02:01 PM
Post #53
Group icon

This Week:

2001- Five- Let's Dance

'Let's Dance' was the first single from Five's third studio album 'Kingsize'. This would go on and peak at #1 in the UK becoming their 3rd and final UK #1. In the music video they had to use a life sized cardboard image of Swan Conlon as he had left the band. It can't say I remember this song that well, probably one of the forgettable 00s #1s in my view, although I may be wrong. This would be their penultimate single before they split up as a month later after this was released they announced their split. To find more on the rise and fall of Five, I would recommend this:

2003- Radiohead- Go To Sleep

'Go To Sleep' was the second single from Radiohead's sixth studio album 'Hail to the Thief'. This would go and peak at #12 in the UK. This would only stay in the UK Top 40 for two weeks with a chart run of 12-38 and the next week it dropped down to #55.

2008- Biffy Clyro- Mountains

'Mountains' was originally released as a non-album single for Biffy Clyro. But it would later be included on their fifth studio album 'Only Revolutions' the following year. This would go and become their highest-charting single in the UK by peaking at #5 in the UK. Was definitely a fan of this track when it came out, I don't really hearing it much until it was released. It was also used as a tribute to rally driver Colin McRae in Dirt 2.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 7th September 2023, 11:16 AM
Post #54
Group icon

This Week:

2000- The Corrs- Breathless

The first song for this week is from: The Corrs with 'Breathless'. This was the first single from their third studio album 'In Blue'. This would go and become their only UK #1. I remember when this came out, I thought they were singing 'Leave me Bradley' instead of 'Leave me breathless'. This is a song that I have in recent years become a staple in my playlist, it's a bloomin brilliant song from them.

2001- Robbie Williams- Eternity

'Eternity' was the fifth single from Robbie Williams' third studio album 'Sing When You're Winning. This was released a double A-side with 'The Road to Mandalay'. This would go and become Robbie Williams' fourth UK #1. I vaguely remember this from him when it was first released, and then seeing this on the music video channels, this is all right from him.

2005- Razorlight- Somewhere Else

'Somewhere Else' was featured as a bonus track on the re-release of Razorlight's debut album 'Up All Night'. This would go and peak at #2 in the UK which Razorlight's biggest hit to date at the time. This came 75th in my Top 100 Songs of the 2000s, I said this about it:
Amazing song this from one of the biggest indie bands of the 00s
. It still is an amazing song in my view.

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 8th September 2023, 10:26 AM
Post #55
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

'Somewhere Else' is such a blast, Razorlight's best song for me.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 8th September 2023, 12:54 PM
Post #56
Group icon
Rob aah

'Breathless' wub.gif also I know it's not his most exciting single but I have always had a soft spot for 'Eternity' and bought it on CD!

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 13th September 2023, 02:20 PM
Post #57
Group icon

This Week:

2000- *NSYNC- It's Gonna Be Me

The first song for this week is from: *NSYNC with their follow-up to 'Bye Bye Bye', 'It's Gonna Be Me'. This was the second single from their third studio album 'No Strings Attached'. This would go and peak at #9 in the UK, in the US this would fare better and peak at #1 in the Billboard Hot 100 where it would stay at #1 for two weeks. this was a decent follow-up to 'Bye Bye Bye', I thought this peaked higher in the UK than #9. Might be just me but when Justin Timberlake sings 'It's Gonna Be Me', it sounds like 'It's Gonna Be May'.

2006- P!nk- U + Ur Hand

'U + Ur JHand' was the third single from P!nk's fourth studio album 'I'm Not Dead'. This would go on and peak at #10 in the UK, In the US this would fare one place better by peaking at #9 in the Billboard Hot 100. This is a great song from Pink, probably one that I have rediscovered this since starting these series. I think this did cause controversy because of the title of the song.

2008- Madonna- Give It 2 Me

'Give It 2 Me' was the second single from Madonna's eleventh studio album 'Hard Candy'. This would go on and peak at #7 in the UK, in the US this would peak at #57 in the Billboard Hot 100 where it would stay there for one week. This had backing vocals from Pharrell Williams where he would feature in the music video. This isn't one that I have heard for a while but nevertheless this still sounds great from Madonna. I wasn't sure at the time when it was released why Madonna suddenly sings 'get stupid' repeatedly during the song. This was produced by the Neptunes.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 13th September 2023, 04:12 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Rob aah

'Give It 2 Me' was fine but a comedown from '4 Minutes' for me!

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 14th September 2023, 12:18 PM
Post #59
Group icon

Doing next week's edition earlier as I'm away next week

This Week (21st September

2006- Muse- Supermassive Black Hole

The first song for this week is: 'Supermassive Black Hole' was the lead single from Muse's fourth studio album 'Black Holes and Revelations'. This would on and become their highest charting single in the UK by peaking at #4 in the UK. This is up there with one of my favourite Muse songs with this and 'Uprising'. This also featured in the FIFA 07 soundtrack.

2007- Axwell ft Max C- I Found U

'I Found You' was a song that was done by Swedish DJ Axwell which featured Max'C. This would go on and peak at #6 in the UK. I haven't heard this in years I can honestly say.

2009- Jason Mraz- I'm Yours

'I'm Yours' was the lead single from Jason Mraz's third studio album 'We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things...'. This would go on and peak at #11 in the UK where it would spend 29 weeks in the UK Top 40 in 2009. In the US this would fare better by peaking at #6 in the Billboard Hot 100. This seemed to be in the charts forever in 2009, it was a song that just wouldn't go away.

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post 17th September 2023, 12:05 PM
Post #60
Group icon
Perfectly Pop

Muse and Jason Mraz!

They both came to slay with those, and slay they did!

+Quote this post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 17th May 2024, 11:25 PM