BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> For Those I Love - For Those I Love, Debut album
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
CianS
post 6th May 2021, 11:31 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Do Wah Dootastic :D
User: 8,914

I know I am over a month late to this and I have looked for whether there was already a thread, but couldn't seem to find one.

Heard a lot of talk on the Irish music scene about this, but checked AOTY recently and it's the highest acclaimed album of the year so had to listen. Just wondering has anyone else listened?

"Recalling the delivery of the Streets and the music of James Blake, David Balfe’s project is a cathartic document in the wake his best friend’s death"
Guardian review: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/...w-poet-of-grief

AOTY: 91/100 based on 15 reviews
https://www.albumoftheyear.org/album/324684...hose-i-love.php

Would love to hear your thoughts.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 6th May 2021, 12:42 PM
Post #2
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118

It's a great album, will be something I listen to a lot, not surprised at how well it's been reviewed, certainly got some traction in Ireland too where Bieber only just beat it to number one album.. I loved I Have a Love since it came out last Autumn and his performance of it on Jools Holland was exceptional.

+Quote this post
CianS
post 6th May 2021, 01:46 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Do Wah Dootastic :D
User: 8,914

I had heard I have a love and wasn't won over, but listening to the whole album the samples and how immersive and dynamic they are really swept me up. The emotion builds throughout too which won me over as well! I think the novelty for me being a Dubliner and hearing pubs and areas being name-checked, even if for they wrong reason, helps strike a chord too.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 16th May 2021, 08:37 PM
Post #4
Group icon
‘psychedelic pop-infused’? Pull the other one!
User: 67,771

Loved this debut so much! Hopefully it can get a Mercury nom later this year

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 7th December 2021, 05:40 PM
Post #5
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118

This thread might get a bit more traction after its UP success! This album is utterly superb, certainly amongst my favourite few of the year and something I keep going back to. I feel very in line with critics this year as its second to Self Esteem and just ahead of Little Simz from reviews according to this site, 10th on Metacritic which must take a slightly different set of sources. He's released a video relatively recently for To Have You and You Stayed/To Live has an Ela Minus remix which is great too

This post has been edited by RabbitFurCoat: 7th December 2021, 05:43 PM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 29th May 2024, 10:20 PM