BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> UK Local Elections 2024, 2nd May (England & Wales)
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Doomsday Dong
post 30th April 2024, 05:34 PM
Post #21
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Strange it existed under Corbyn only, and then vanished overnight once an establishment plant was in charge... There is a lot more antisemitism over on the right as well!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 30th April 2024, 11:32 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Of course unfortunately anti semetism exists but it’s now used as a smear to discredit any person with an alternative viewpoint rather than confronting what is rascism through and through. These smears totally undermine actual antisemitism we should all fight against daily and any other form of fascism of course!

+Quote this post
Smint
post 1st May 2024, 09:10 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

Tomorrow's poll day. Got my passport to hand and ready to vote Khan. The odds and polls look great for him but even though inconvenient to vote (as missed postal deadline and had planned to be elsewhere) learned after Brexit, where I voted Remain at the last minute, that can't take anything for granted.

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 1st May 2024, 09:28 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Disgusting we need photo id. Has estanlishment plant Starmer said anything about getting rid of that? Oor keeping it?

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 1st May 2024, 10:19 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

In NI we have always needed photo ID, it’s really just a part of voting and no big deal to me. I usually bring the National ID card I get with my full Irish passport which is accepted and fits in my wallet beside my back cards!

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 1st May 2024, 11:21 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

It's not a part of voting. What it is is a pwrt of voter suppression.

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post 2nd May 2024, 05:43 AM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 175,892

QUOTE(Long Dong Silver @ 1st May 2024, 10:28 PM) *
Disgusting we need photo id. Has estanlishment plant Starmer said anything about getting rid of that? Oor keeping it?

I'd imagine he'll keep a system that's designed to and does prevent voter fraud, it would be a rather bad luck weird if he got rid of it. The next step should be getting rid of postal voting so people can't coerce family members to vote the same way as them and show them it as is common in some communities.

Everybody has had plenty of warning that they need Voter ID to vote - and the longer we have it the more I agree with it. It's almost shown up how open to abuse the old system was given they never even checked your poll card and just took it at face value you were who you said you were.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 2nd May 2024, 07:01 AM
Post #28
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Yeah sadly it's one of those laws, much like the draconian protest laws, that's hard to repeal as the reasons why will sound arcane and weird in the media even when they're perfectly good like 'improve access to voting' and 'stop people being arrested because the government says so' - the media (and many in the government tbf) will see 'allows voter fraud' (even though the cases of voter fraud are infinitesimally small while the number of people who lose their vote as a result is... not) and 'gives protesters a free pass'.

So it'll probably be a law that makes everyone's life worse but is never gotten rid of because the impetus is always more bureaucracy never less.

Only way I can see it being repealed is if it's conclusively proven in a study to deter people from disadvantaged backgrounds from voting and that'll take a few election cycles, during which more people will get ID - while it still pushes apathetic people away from voting.

anyway yay voting time

+Quote this post
Smint
post 2nd May 2024, 12:51 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

My concern is that to have a lot of people turn up to a certain area with their passports in hand could be a green light for criminals*, not to mention an opportunity to lose the passport itself (done that once before and such a hassle!) Especially at the General Election when more crowded.

*Obviously that happens at airports but there's more security there

I might think of getting a form of photo ID purely for voting purposes as it makes me feel uneasy.

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 2nd May 2024, 01:16 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(DoBelieveTheHype @ 2nd May 2024, 06:43 AM) *
I'd imagine he'll keep a system that's designed to and does prevent voter fraud, it would be a rather bad luck weird if he got rid of it. The next step should be getting rid of postal voting so people can't coerce family members to vote the same way as them and show them it as is common in some communities.

Everybody has had plenty of warning that they need Voter ID to vote - and the longer we have it the more I agree with it. It's almost shown up how open to abuse the old system was given they never even checked your poll card and just took it at face value you were who you said you were.

That's beyond ridiculous. There qere hafdly any cases of fraud, ever, ever, ever, in voting. Ever. All it does is stop people from actuqlly voting. It's very easyto say, fo get photo id,but apathetic voters won't bother, people might forget rhe id and nor go back, oe some might not be able to afford a passport etc.

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post 2nd May 2024, 02:08 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(Long Dong Silver @ 2nd May 2024, 02:16 PM) *
That's beyond ridiculous. There qere hafdly any cases of fraud, ever, ever, ever, in voting. Ever. All it does is stop people from actuqlly voting. It's very easyto say, fo get photo id,but apathetic voters won't bother, people might forget rhe id and nor go back, oe some might not be able to afford a passport etc.

They need to get rid of postal voting and make everyone vote in person with ID. it's coercion not fraud that's the biggest issue.

Most countries around the world use voter ID. It's frankly absurd we used to just take people at face value that they were who they said they were to be honest. The fact we still do for postal votes is absurd.

It's not that hard to get Photo ID, and most people have multiple anyway. It's one of the few things this government has done that makes any sense.

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 2nd May 2024, 03:35 PM
Post #32
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(DoBelieveTheHype @ 2nd May 2024, 03:08 PM) *
They need to get rid of postal voting and make everyone vote in person with ID. it's coercion not fraud that's the biggest issue.

Most countries around the world use voter ID. It's frankly absurd we used to just take people at face value that they were who they said they were to be honest. The fact we still do for postal votes is absurd.

It's not that hard to get Photo ID, and most people have multiple anyway. It's one of the few things this government has done that makes any sense.

Compare how many cases of frsud there were vs how many tuened away for not having id. I'll wait x Many people simply cannot afford photo id, so why does a poor person's vote not get to count?

Postal votes are fine, except dor thst they are run by Tories ans the Blojo evil government knew what the postal votes werd saying LONG before election day... Plus them going missing in student areas... if there is corruption there, it's based on voter suppression ans Tory sleaze, not on people. People can be trusted to have postal votes; the Tory establishment on the other hand...

Voter id, ans any restrictions on postal voting, is abelist, authoritarian tosh, that only seeks to suppress the vote of the poorer among us and those with debilitating conditions. Tske away postal votes and suddsnly you depreive agorraphobic people of a vote, people with social anxities, some autistic people, and some disabled people or people with mobility/ transport/ time/ family issues.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 2nd May 2024, 03:47 PM
Post #33
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

I personally think it should be scrapped, it disenfranchises would-be voters, many of which are elderly and/or vulnerable and aren't necessarily aware of this change in the rules since 2023.

Jacob Rees-Mogg said:

“Parties that try and gerrymander end up finding their clever scheme comes back to bite them – as dare I say we found by insisting on voter ID for elections.

“We found the people who didn’t have ID were elderly and they by and large voted Conservative, so we made it hard for our own voters and we upset a system that worked perfectly well”

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 2nd May 2024, 03:49 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Boom!! 100% it disenfranchises the vulnersble AND the apathetic, disproportionately affects the poor and deprived and, as we all knew and as confirmed by Reese Smogg its ONLY PURPOSE WAS TO SUPPRESS THE LABOUR VOTE!! They copied the American right wingers, just as they did with gerrymandering the constituencies. Evil party.

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post 2nd May 2024, 04:09 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(Long Dong Silver @ 2nd May 2024, 04:49 PM) *
Boom!! 100% it disenfranchises the vulnersble AND the apathetic, disproportionately affects the poor and deprived and, as we all knew and as confirmed by Reese Smogg its ONLY PURPOSE WAS TO SUPPRESS THE LABOUR VOTE!! They copied the American right wingers, just as they did with gerrymandering the constituencies. Evil party.

I can't debate with people who are this blinkered by their own support for certain parties. I just can't. The Boundary Commission - an independent body that has nothing to do with the Conservatives - redraw the boundaries based on population sizes and other factors. It's not gerrymandering and would have happened regardless of party in power.

Everyone has had plenty of warning they need ID to vote - if they don't have it by now that's on them.

The Tories are evil - as evidenced by their attitude to disability benefits in recent days - but lets not make stuff up.

This post has been edited by DoBelieveTheHype: 2nd May 2024, 04:09 PM

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 2nd May 2024, 04:58 PM
Post #36
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Did enjoy this though:

Quite a few total Hunts in the Conservative Party aren't there...

+Quote this post
Hassaan
post 2nd May 2024, 05:05 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 22,168

Looking forward to an annihilation of the Tories.

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 2nd May 2024, 05:13 PM
Post #38
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(DoBelieveTheHype @ 2nd May 2024, 05:09 PM) *
I can't debate with people who are this blinkered by their own support for certain parties. I just can't. The Boundary Commission - an independent body that has nothing to do with the Conservatives - redraw the boundaries based on population sizes and other factors. It's not gerrymandering and would have happened regardless of party in power.

Everyone has had plenty of warning they need ID to vote - if they don't have it by now that's on them.

The Tories are evil - as evidenced by their attitude to disability benefits in recent days - but lets not make stuff up.

The commission reacts to instructions handed down by THE GOVERNMENT OF THE DAY! The whole redrawing of the boundary map and REDUCING THE NUMBER OF MPS - again, dictated by thr TORIES, ans kot any external advice - was a political choice by the government, not an expediente political reality. Those posh nrolib evil twats never have anyone's interrsts at heart but their own. It wasn't for the good of thr country, or for parliament; it was designed to improve their own electoral successes. They wanted a one party authoritarian Tory state.

Again, this voter id law is arbitrary and unnecessary and NEVER REQUIRED BEFORE. It disenfranchises people, and some cannot afford it, others do not have the time, or have mental health issues that preclude them doing so, to go and get id. It makes a mockery of democracy. Time for ranked voting proportional reprrsentation and with no voter id laws. That will sort it.

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post 2nd May 2024, 05:32 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(Hassaan @ 2nd May 2024, 06:05 PM) *
Looking forward to an annihilation of the Tories.

You might be disappointed - the polls are almost always worse for the Tories than the reality.

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 2nd May 2024, 05:34 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(DoBelieveTheHype @ 2nd May 2024, 06:32 PM) *
You might be disappointed - the polls are almost always worse for the Tories than the reality.

That hasn't been true for some years now.

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd May 2024, 01:02 AM