BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jim's EOY top 100 of 2023, in a thread... you will find my chart
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
jimwatts
post 27th January 2024, 01:59 PM
Post #61
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

#30 -> #26

#30 Tove Lo - Borderline (360 points) [28-12-08-11-11-09-08-10-11-13-17-20-25-32-40]
#29 Patrick Topping feat. Raphi - Whisper (369 points) [08-04-02-02-02-06-08-10-14-20-24-28-36+]
#28 The Lathums - Turmoil (371 points) [[03-02]-02-03-02-03-05-05-07-10-16-15-21-32]
#27 Cameo Blush, Pretty Girl - Millennium Fields (386 points) [24-21-16-16-16-13-15-15-14-09-05-05-08-11+]
#26 Sam Fender - Angel In Lothian (390 points) [04-04-03-02-02-02-04-06-09-16-23-27]

Co-written by Dua Lipa, the second and highest Tove Lo song in this countdown comes with plenty of verve and bounce. The final BJSC 159 entry from Patrick Topping took my silver but it was already on a good run pre-contest as it followed another of his songs still to come, with cutesy vocals from Raphi and 80s synths popping up around them. The Lathums must be one of the most unknown bands to have had two #1 albums in the 2020s, but belied the indie chancers tag with this tender ballad about sharing emotional flaws with a loved one. I knew a few songs by Cameo Blush and Pretty Girl before their ETOTW collab gave both a debut hit in my chart, and just when I thought it had peaked in the low top 20 it carried on keening upwards like the music with the dreamlike vocal clippings drifting about, creating numerous stickable moments without there being any hook to speak of. Current Top 40 hit 'Seventeen Going Under' was my most played song of 2022, and from the previous year's album of that name, in the absence of new music from Sam Fender last year, I recalled my favourite non-single track from it one random morning and played it afresh to realise it was even better than I remembered, a saxophone and piano homage to Bruce Springsteen as Sam recounts losing the comfort of youth.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 27th January 2024, 04:11 PM
Post #62
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Hello again Jim hi.gif having a bit of a catch-up now, these are my favourites to appear since I last commented:

#44 HighSchool - Colt
#42 Lucia & The Best Boys - Burning Castles
#41 Vandal Moon - Sweet Disaster
#37 Broosnica - Enter The Energy
#36 Calvin Harris & Ellie Goulding - Miracle
#34 Röyksopp - Me&Youphoria
#30 Tove Lo - Borderline
#27 Cameo Blush, Pretty Girl - Millennium Fields

Pleased that 'Colt' has the honour of highest placing song to not make your weekly top 10! Forgot it registered so many weeks at #13 ohmy.gif

Still so delighted that you took to 'Sweet Disaster' a lot, indeed that gothic and electronic fusion is wonderful ❤️ yay for BJSC exposure since albeit with different material.

'Miracle' didn't quite make my top 100 (would've qualified for a top 200 placing though if my countdown had been double the length) but definitely appreciate it nevertheless, what a fabulous return of trance music in the top 40 (all the way at #1 at that!) and it reminds me of some happy memories.

Some great less commercial electronic stuff here too - 'Me&Youphoria' is absolutely lush <3 Broosnica was an ETOTW discovery for me too, with 'Enter The Energy' the best I've heard from him to date, what a banger. Cameo Blush and Pretty Girl are two reliable names so were bound to deliver together, enjoying 'Z' by the former right now also.

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 30th January 2024, 07:27 AM
Post #63
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun

QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 27 2024, 04:11 PM) *
Hello again Jim hi.gif having a bit of a catch-up now, these are my favourites to appear since I last commented:

#44 HighSchool - Colt
#37 Broosnica - Enter The Energy
#30 Tove Lo - Borderline
#27 Cameo Blush, Pretty Girl - Millennium Fields

Pleased that 'Colt' has the honour of highest placing song to not make your weekly top 10! Forgot it registered so many weeks at #13 ohmy.gif

Still so delighted that you took to 'Sweet Disaster' a lot, indeed that gothic and electronic fusion is wonderful ❤️ yay for BJSC exposure since albeit with different material.

'Miracle' didn't quite make my top 100 (would've qualified for a top 200 placing though if my countdown had been double the length) but definitely appreciate it nevertheless, what a fabulous return of trance music in the top 40 (all the way at #1 at that!) and it reminds me of some happy memories.

Some great less commercial electronic stuff here too - 'Me&Youphoria' is absolutely lush <3 Broosnica was an ETOTW discovery for me too, with 'Enter The Energy' the best I've heard from him to date, what a banger. Cameo Blush and Pretty Girl are two reliable names so were bound to deliver together, enjoying 'Z' by the former right now also.

Hey Jade, happy to see so many you like here, and I'd guess that's not counting the #50->#46 region which included 'Cicada' amongst others biggrin.gif 'Colt' has so many enjoyable elements that revealed themselves over repeat listens with the song itself a little buried in the mix, and of course 'Sweet Disaster' was a fantastic rediscovery from your EOY last year. 'Miracle' sealing the return of trance music as a commercial force was such a treat with a callback to some 90s/00s classics. Glad you're a fan of those less commercial electronic ones - 'Enter The Energy' and 'Millennium Fields' both peaked over two months into their runs for me, and it's part of the fun to find out what will end up sticking - look forward to more of these in 2024, and 'Z' is a great start.

Thanks for your continued interest! I'll get this finished eventually - the ideal window for this sort of thing does appear to be closing now, but I'm keen to stay true to the spirit of the countdown, so will carry on as and when I have time.

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 30th January 2024, 08:35 AM
Post #64
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun

#25 -> #21

#25 Peggy Gou - (It Goes Like) Nanana (391 points) [29-14-12-10-12-10-12-10-12-10-12-14-16-21-30]
#24 Billy Gillies feat. Hannah Boleyn - DNA (Loving You) (391 points) [18-05-04-02-01-03-06-07-11-14-16-22-33]
#23 ARXX - God Knows (393 points) [29-11-10-06-07-06-07-09-11-13-17-20-23-27-30-37]
#22 Lanterns On The Lake - The Likes Of Us (394 points) [02-02-02-02-04-07-10-12-16-16-23-27-25-32]
#21 Audio Bullys - As We Step (395 points) [07-05-05-05-05-05-05-05-07-14-20-25-30+]

The third and fourth highest placed commercial hits in this countdown appear level on points, with Peggy Gou coming in lower thanks to that chart run of mine (the many #10 peaks echoing her multiple climbs to #5 officially), but the timeless quality of the sun-drenched production and nod-to-ATB guitar shone through in the end. Billy Gillies having a commercial hit capped the return of trance as a charting force, with the powerful vocals of Hannah Boleyn setting the emotion (and some random drink-pouring sounds making it into the production) - it may have peaked some time ago for me, but its ascent to the official Top 10 earlier this month was most welcome. The next three songs were all NMF discoveries for me - ARXX had my backup entry for about four BJSC contests, a fine rock/pop hybrid with androgynous vocals, handclaps and a killer chorus - I eventually sent it to PFSC but the less said about that the better. The biggest song contest heartbreak came earlier though, as Lanterns On The Lake had caught my attention with this ode to aiming for glory against the odds, helmed by the Florence-esque vocals and atmospheric guitar and strings - I had it down as a BJSC entry straight away, and despite it being my first DNQ, "I won't let this spark die in me" proved prophetic as it came mightily close to topping my chart while up against one of my top favourite songs of the year. No such song contest stigma for Audio Bullys whose return with this collage of old school styles amid minimal vocal samples seems to have gone very much under the radar, with all those weeks at #5 my best attempt to keep a lid on what just might be a low key modern gem.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 30th January 2024, 08:54 AM
Post #65
Group icon

QUOTE(jimwatts @ Jan 30 2024, 07:27 AM) *
Hey Jade, happy to see so many you like here, and I'd guess that's not counting the #50->#46 region which included 'Cicada' amongst others biggrin.gif

Oops sorry not sure how I managed to miss that section! I charted 4/5 of them ('Cicada' wub.gif, 'Angelica', 'Ghosts Again' and 'I like u') so wholeheartedly approve *.*

Great to see Peggy Gou now appearing also <3 and justice for Lanterns On The Lake </3 I gave that a silver medal in the semi and also lost my 12 pointer, a brutal month!

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 30th January 2024, 07:15 PM
Post #66
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

Hey Jim 👋 enjoying the write-ups so far. I like all of these:

#56 RAYE feat. 070 Shake - Escapism such a huge moment for RAYE, got me really excited for this new chapter in her career but everything since has sadly been meh
#52 Sølv - Past Life This was a nice subtle moment from Bronzil
#50 Tove Lo - I like u
#47 Wet Leg - Angelica
#45 MRD & Narciss - Midsommar wub.gif expecting 'Last Dance' and 'Memories of You' to be very high here. I got really excited when he popped up on my release radar the other week but then it turned out to be a cover of Feel So Close by Calvin Harris tearsmile.gif
#44 HighSchool - Colt this was a bit unlucky on my chart as well, stalling in the 20-30s section, but the best HighSchool track I've heard to-date, and happy got sent to a contest on here
#43 Metric - Who Would You Be For Me I lost interest in Metric for years now but was really surprised by how good 'Days of Oblivion' was (thank you for sending it to BJSC btw!). It really struck a chord with me on 2nd listen, and this is great too. I need to give the album a spin it seems
#39 SZA - Kill Bill
#37 Broosnica - Enter The Energy This is such an addrenalin rush. Ideal for an early morning run laugh.gif
#30 Tove Lo - Borderline I saw Dua and Tove having drinks together on Instagram stories recently. Wonder if they have another song in the works
#29 Patrick Topping feat. Raphi - Whisper super catchy and quite tastefully produced for a mainstream dance track
#27 Cameo Blush, Pretty Girl - Millennium Fields w00t.gif I was really happy to see this smash on someone else's chart. It sounded exactly how I envisioned a Cameo Blush, Pretty Girl collab would sound like. Light and dreamy but with a hypnotic, building tension
#25 Peggy Gou - (It Goes Like) Nanana That 10-12 chart run oh my! Probably my favourite mainstream dance hit of the year.

Hoping your weekly charts will be back soon x

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 31st January 2024, 08:55 AM
Post #67
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun

QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 30 2024, 08:54 AM) *
Oops sorry not sure how I managed to miss that section! I charted 4/5 of them ('Cicada' wub.gif, 'Angelica', 'Ghosts Again' and 'I like u') so wholeheartedly approve *.*

Great to see Peggy Gou now appearing also <3 and justice for Lanterns On The Lake </3 I gave that a silver medal in the semi and also lost my 12 pointer, a brutal month!

No problem haha, thought that section would be to your liking! Yeah that was a brutal semi - Lanterns On The Lake got 40 points, half of them from you and Colm, which would have been enough to qualify some months, but The Dare were especially unlucky not to qualify with 60!
Thanks Jade happy.gif

QUOTE(k👠th @ Jan 30 2024, 07:15 PM) *
Hey Jim 👋 enjoying the write-ups so far. I like all of these:

#56 RAYE feat. 070 Shake - Escapism such a huge moment for RAYE, got me really excited for this new chapter in her career but everything since has sadly been meh
#52 Sølv - Past Life This was a nice subtle moment from Bronzil
#50 Tove Lo - I like u
#47 Wet Leg - Angelica
#45 MRD & Narciss - Midsommar wub.gif expecting 'Last Dance' and 'Memories of You' to be very high here. I got really excited when he popped up on my release radar the other week but then it turned out to be a cover of Feel So Close by Calvin Harris tearsmile.gif
#44 HighSchool - Colt this was a bit unlucky on my chart as well, stalling in the 20-30s section, but the best HighSchool track I've heard to-date, and happy got sent to a contest on here
#43 Metric - Who Would You Be For Me I lost interest in Metric for years now but was really surprised by how good 'Days of Oblivion' was (thank you for sending it to BJSC btw!). It really struck a chord with me on 2nd listen, and this is great too. I need to give the album a spin it seems
#39 SZA - Kill Bill
#37 Broosnica - Enter The Energy This is such an addrenalin rush. Ideal for an early morning run laugh.gif
#30 Tove Lo - Borderline I saw Dua and Tove having drinks together on Instagram stories recently. Wonder if they have another song in the works
#29 Patrick Topping feat. Raphi - Whisper super catchy and quite tastefully produced for a mainstream dance track
#27 Cameo Blush, Pretty Girl - Millennium Fields w00t.gif I was really happy to see this smash on someone else's chart. It sounded exactly how I envisioned a Cameo Blush, Pretty Girl collab would sound like. Light and dreamy but with a hypnotic, building tension
#25 Peggy Gou - (It Goes Like) Nanana That 10-12 chart run oh my! Probably my favourite mainstream dance hit of the year.

Hoping your weekly charts will be back soon x

Hey Kath, glad to hear - thank you!

Yeah I agree on RAYE, only the slower tracks have interested me at all really, 'Escapism.' aside. You may well be right about those MRD songs thinking.gif I had that 'Feel So Close' cover on my Release Radar too tearsmile.gif 'Colt' is the best I've heard from HighSchool too - I was on holiday during Nuggets so didn't enter, but was tempted to vote and give it a 12. Very happy to see so many of the Bronzil entries were up your street! I thought 'Days Of Oblivion' might be vetoed but eventually decided it was worth a go - first listen was OK, but on second I thought wow this is really good, and it convinced me to check out the album where I found WWYBFM - they do pack a lot into some gorgeous melodies.

'Enter The Energy' really is that adrenaline rush. Oh cool, here's hoping for another Dua / Tove song, 'Borderline' is fab! Glad you approve of 'Whisper', a lot of the commercial leaning dance doesn't do a lot for me, but that one worked a treat. Yay for ETOTW as a launchpad for 'Millennium Fields' cheer.gif your description is spot on and I was hoping something from both artists would click from the start as it did, but it's most pleasing when a discovery blossoms into something bigger for me and it's rightly up here! Yeah I know re that Peggy chart run blush.gif must have been on the 3rd or 4th visit to #10 that I realised there's something timeless here!

Thanks happy.gif may be sooner than you think (in some form x)

+Quote this post
danG
post 31st January 2024, 08:37 PM
Post #68
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

here's my faves since:
#45 MRD & Narciss - Midsommar
#43 Metric - Who Would You Be For Me
#36 Calvin Harris & Ellie Goulding - Miracle -> yay for this showing up here as it was my fave hit single of the year
#34 Röyksopp - Me&Youphoria -> this was one of their handful of singles that were hits for me too
#31 Ofenbach feat. Norma Jean Martine - Overdrive
#29 Patrick Topping feat. Raphi - Whisper
#25 Peggy Gou - (It Goes Like) Nanana -> and yay for Peggy and Billy too, both big standouts of the UK chart hits this year
#24 Billy Gillies feat. Hannah Boleyn - DNA (Loving You)

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 31st January 2024, 08:57 PM
Post #69
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun

#20 -> #16

#20 The Killers - Your Side Of Town (397 points) [01-01-01-01-01-04-08-09-12-16-21-29-32]
#19 hemlocke springs - heavun (406 points) [09-07-04-04-04-04-06-09-11-14-16-22-27-31]
#18 Sky Ferreira - Don't Forget (406 points) [07-04-02-03-04-05-06-10-13-15-20-22-26-31]
#17 Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Wuh Oh - Hypnotized (411 points) [08-04-03-05-05-07-05-09-11-14-16-21-28-34-34]
#16 Rosa Linn - Never Be Mine (425 points) [12-06-02-01-01-01-04-10-10-12-15-21-25-30-40]

The Killers had the first song to enter at #1 on my chart in its week of release with the synthesised switch-up evoking many of their influences, especially Pet Shop Boys, New Order and Depeche Mode, a winning combination if ever there was one. More homage to 80s synth pop follows, as I'd previously charted three songs from hemlocke springs - two of them BJSC entries, including the 'sever the blight' before its entry to BJSC 155 was revealed which it went on to win - before she released the one which surpassed the rest for me, the bubbliness of the music and gutsy vocals undercut by the feelings of fear and desperation in falling for her crush, with an echo of 'I Feel Love' as she trills "ah recover, recover the remnants of my pride". In one I discovered from Jade's 2022 EOY, synths come to the fore again, albeit louder and fiercer, as Sky Ferreira creates a thrilling firestorm of revenge for her wrongdoer, making it plain: you cross me at your peril. Also from 2022 but still impacting my chart long before Saltburn came Sophie Ellis-Bextor where I believe she surpassed even the evergreen (and currently a bigger #2 smash then ever before!) 'Murder On The Dancefloor' in this collab with Wuh Oh that came with a spiralling synth line and the most danceable of earworms as she dismisses her ex, playing neatly on the "zed" within the title. As much as I admired 'SNAP' and its post-Eurovision redemption for Rosa Linn as a viral hit, I wasn't particularly awaiting a follow-up, but when it turned out to be such an intimately written and performed heartbreak ballad, I really couldn't pretend to ignore it, as every word and every chord hit me deep in the guts.

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 6th February 2024, 09:38 PM
Post #70
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun

QUOTE(Danuary @ Jan 31 2024, 08:37 PM) *
here's my faves since:
#45 MRD & Narciss - Midsommar
#43 Metric - Who Would You Be For Me
#36 Calvin Harris & Ellie Goulding - Miracle -> yay for this showing up here as it was my fave hit single of the year
#34 Röyksopp - Me&Youphoria -> this was one of their handful of singles that were hits for me too
#31 Ofenbach feat. Norma Jean Martine - Overdrive
#29 Patrick Topping feat. Raphi - Whisper
#25 Peggy Gou - (It Goes Like) Nanana -> and yay for Peggy and Billy too, both big standouts of the UK chart hits this year
#24 Billy Gillies feat. Hannah Boleyn - DNA (Loving You)

That's quite a decent haul - 'Miracle' was immediate for me and ends up the 5th highest Top 100 hit here just as in the official EOY. It was fantastic to see the commercial success for Peggy and Billy too. Röyksopp were on a roll at that point and have another song still to come.

Thanks Dan happy.gif

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 6th February 2024, 09:46 PM
Post #71
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun

#15 -> #11

#15 Metric - Days Of Oblivion (427 points) [01-01-01-01-01-02-03-03-02-04-05+]
#14 Patrick Topping feat. Might Delete Later - Make Me Happy (431 points) [23-05-03-03-03-03-05-08-11-14-14-17-22-28-31-35]
#13 Milky Chance - Living In A Haze (502 points) [23-21-13-08-06-03-03-05-04-04-06-08-11-14-19-21-32-35]
#12 DJ HEARTSTRING - It Ain't Over (514 points) [21-09-03-02-02-02-03-03-03-05-07-10-12-14-19-27]
#11 Panteros666 feat. Zorza - Ultra Ray (527 points) [28-18-13-10-07-06-08-06-07-06-07-09-09-06-10-15-18-28]

When a new Metric song came up on my Release Radar in October, I didn't have any expectations of it being on a level with 'Doomscroller' or another song of theirs which is still to come, so when it properly hit me on second listen, it was almost magical and made for an immediate #1 - over six minutes, the mood shifts from fear of oblivion to facing it head-on in the chorus, then to an almost dreamlike acceptance in the final coda. The Patrick Topping collab with Might Delete Later was his first song to chart for me and quickly lodged itself in the top 3, packed with infectious energy, a huge earworm of a chorus, and even my favourite song by The Killers getting a random mention. A big jump to beyond 500 points finds Milky Chance who also hit a ceiling at #3, but amidst a huge run as one of the surprise hits of the year for me, with spindly guitars and infectious hooks all the way as the sadness of the lyrics are disguised by an impressive homage to disco. DJ HEARTSTRING (actually two people) have the highest placed song to get my 18 points in BJSC, virtually unchallenged as it had already made it to #2 in my chart, a neat techno / house hybrid with the vocals coming in after a minute and energy set to high throughout. Just missing my top 10 are Panteros666 and Zorza with the second highest placed song not to reach #1 in my weekly chart, despite getting no higher than #6, a peak it scaled four times as the dreamy techno and vocals refused to sound anything but fresh and uplifting, centred on an endurably stickable instrumental bridge.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 6th February 2024, 10:19 PM
Post #72
Group icon

Love how synthtastic the #20-16 section is, both 'Your Side Of Town' and 'Don't Forget' are big favourites wub.gif happy to have introduced you to the latter!

'Ultra Ray' is my favourite in that latest post. Both Panteros666 and Zorza seem promising from what I've heard - was cool to see the former popping up in BJSC.

Looking forward to the top 10 cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 7th February 2024, 10:21 AM
Post #73
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Some personal classics in your list so far already, Stephen Sanchez, Depeche Mode, Miracle, Burning castles, Houdini, Killers, and goodies like Hypnotised, Peggy Gou, Overdrive, and more. Expect to see some of these in my year-end Top 100 whenever I get round to it laugh.gif (just waiting for some to drop out my charts for a full total of chart "sales")

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 8th February 2024, 11:52 PM
Post #74
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun

QUOTE(Jade @ Feb 6 2024, 10:19 PM) *
Love how synthtastic the #20-16 section is, both 'Your Side Of Town' and 'Don't Forget' are big favourites wub.gif happy to have introduced you to the latter!

'Ultra Ray' is my favourite in that latest post. Both Panteros666 and Zorza seem promising from what I've heard - was cool to see the former popping up in BJSC.

Looking forward to the top 10 cheer.gif

Yeah, can't really go wrong with synths wub.gif 'Don't Forget' is immense, very grateful to have been introduced to it - hope there's more to come from Sky!

I've also liked most of what I've heard from Panteros666 and Zorza, though 'Ultra Ray' will be hard to top for me - they combine so well on it.

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Feb 7 2024, 10:21 AM) *
Some personal classics in your list so far already, Stephen Sanchez, Depeche Mode, Miracle, Burning castles, Houdini, Killers, and goodies like Hypnotised, Peggy Gou, Overdrive, and more. Expect to see some of these in my year-end Top 100 whenever I get round to it laugh.gif (just waiting for some to drop out my charts for a full total of chart "sales")

Glad to see so many of these appeal to you too, and quite a varied selection! Look forward to seeing your EOY top 100 when it's ready happy.gif

Thanks both!

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 9th February 2024, 12:30 AM
Post #75
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun

#10 -> #06

#10 Hannah Laing & RoRo - Good Love (533 points) [27-06-02-02-02-01-01-01-02-03-07-11-18-22-25-23-27-31-35]
#09 Geo22 - Magic (562 points) [27-17-12-09-06-05-07-05-03-03-01-04-06-05-08-14-17-27]
#08 Metric - False Dichotomy (568 points) [15-04-03-01-01-02-02-05-05-07-08-10-11-11-16-21-24-31-34]
#07 Loreen - Tattoo (575 points) [17-11-05-04-04-04-03-02-02-04-05-07-08-12-14-16-21-24]
#06 Röyksopp feat. Susanne Sundfør - Stay Awhile (618 points) [[04-04]-04-04-04-01-01-01-01-03-03-04-06-08-14-13-17-20-21-23-27-34-38-37]

The second highest official chart hit in this EOY opens the top 10 - I can't often claim to be ahead of the curve, but as the sole voter for Hannah Laing & RoRo in the Dance Track Of The Week when they appeared, I thought there was quite a tune here with the pitched up vocals and retro-trance energy, and it jumped into my top 10 a few days before it made its first top 200 appearance on Spotify. Geo22 have the top BJSC entry that I didn't send - I'd discovered it weeks earlier from Kath's chart and was instantly hooked by the sugary vocals and minimalist techno that recalled half-remembered video games and sounded perfect in the summer sun, so as her BJSC 156 entry it was bound to be high in my votes, and only an 80s classic I've known since 2010 kept it from getting my 18 points, but no matter as it swept to a second Kathaldazia victory in three contests. The highest Metric song is one I'll still call my favourite, from the same 2022 album as 'Doomscroller' but powered by high-octane synths and a catchier chorus than such smart lyrics have any right to, before the distorted "hate... love..." thrillingly plays it out. Loreen has the highest commercial hit in this EOY as well as the highest not to reach #1 on my weekly chart - I first heard it months before Eurovision and within a couple of listens all thoughts of a retread of 'Euphoria' were dispelled with her soaring build to the huge chorus, with further listens only confirming its winning potential - so when it did triumph on the night, I was riled by the accusations that the juries had simply colluded to a safe winner, as I knew it would find a wider audience than usual for Eurovision who would go on to embrace it like I did. Missing out on the top 5 by just 2 points, whereas if I'd included the first two weeks of my chart in 2022 it would have been #4, comes the highest entry for Röyksopp with vocals from one of them as the spacey production gently orbits, but enters another dimension when the vocals of Susanne Sundfør arrive for the second verse, with echo effects heightening the sense of risk and reward in what's being proposed, before both parties duet on the final chorus.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 9th February 2024, 02:52 AM
Post #76
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

'Burning Castles' yahoo.gif

'Magic', 'Tattoo', 'Good Love', 'It Goes Like..', 'Miracle' and 'Hypnotized' are great/fab!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 10th February 2024, 01:16 AM
Post #77
Group icon
Gia, do you know the order of the solos?
User: 21,308

yay Good Love being so high cheer.gif

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 10th February 2024, 08:30 PM
Post #78
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun

QUOTE(Roba. @ Feb 9 2024, 02:52 AM) *
'Burning Castles' yahoo.gif

'Magic', 'Tattoo', 'Good Love', 'It Goes Like..', 'Miracle' and 'Hypnotized' are great/fab!

Lucia was bound to be here somewhere, an excellent BJSC winner yahoo.gif Glad you're a fan of all those songs - I checked out 'Hypnotized' after seeing it at #10 in your EOY for 2022, it had passed me by before that!

QUOTE(Cody Cranston @ Feb 10 2024, 01:16 AM) *
yay Good Love being so high cheer.gif

It's so good cheeseblock.png it came on the radio one day late last year after I hadn't heard it for a while and sounded as fab as ever.

Thanks both!

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 10th February 2024, 08:33 PM
Post #79
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun

#05 -> #03

#05 MRD & TDJ - Memories Of You (620 points) [19-18-07-06-05-04-03-02-01-02-02-05-05-05-07-10-17-20-26-36]
#04 ACRAZE & Aviella - In A Dream (664 points) [22-13-09-08-08-08-08-08-04-03-02-02-01-02-04-08-11-12-13-21-31-40]
#03 LOOK MUM NO COMPUTER - Time Is Not A Healer It’s A Fuel For Resentment (665 points) [[01-03]-03-02-01-02-02-03-02-01-02-01-03-04-06-07-10-16-19-22-26-33-36-36]

Funny how quickly you can become invested in new discoveries - a collaboration between MRD & TDJ would have passed me by at the start of 2023, but when it appeared in May I'd already been taken in by their other songs in this countdown so it was an exciting prospect, and despite a similarly slow climb it didn't disappoint - a 7 minute melancholy techno banger true to both their production styles, with lyrics reflecting on a fractured relationship sung from both artists' perspectives - the break for the middle eight with both their vocals is particularly gut wrenching. I didn't particularly rate the ACRAZE Top 10 hit remake of Cherish's 'Do It To It', but this cover of a late 90s song by Rockell with a tranced-up production and the smooth vocals of the belatedly credited Aviella was very much up my street, and after growing on me over a couple of months, I put it forward for BJSC 158 where, just as here, it wound up in fourth place and missed out on the top 3 by just 2 points, however I was blown away by that and by just how much support it had from 35 voters, so I gave it the honour of the tenuous pun in this thread's subtitle kink.gif Another Bronzil entry takes the bronze medal in this countdown - for my second BJSC, I took the song by LOOK MUM NO COMPUTER which had convinced me to start posting my personal chart before 2022 was over, topping my inaugural chart within a couple of weeks of my first listen courtesy of NMF when the hooks hit me before I’d registered that 10-word title, and its endearing DIY aesthetic with a semblance of a message beneath the cascade of self-played synths - if I could make vaguely marketable music, I’d aspire that it wouldn’t sound a million miles from this.

Two songs remain - both spent 27 weeks in my weekly chart, including 5 weeks at #1, and both have passed not only 700 but 800 points - so who will come out on top tomorrow?

This post has been edited by jimwatts: 11th February 2024, 09:49 PM

+Quote this post
Jade
post 10th February 2024, 08:59 PM
Post #80
Group icon

Ooh very good start to the top 10 so far! I think I charted almost everything there last year *.* 'Doomscroller' was of course my favourite from that Metric album but 'False Dichotomy' was still a highlight nevertheless. 'Magic', 'In A Dream' and 'Time Is Not A Healer It’s A Fuel For Resentment' are all very good BJSC entries <3 have you heard 'Desperado Vespa' by the latter artist? That was how I first discovered LOOK MUM NO COMPUTER via an Aelandor entry several years back heart.gif

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 12th May 2024, 02:16 PM