BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> J00p top tracks of 2023, TOP 20 - COMPLETE. BONUS DROPS TBC
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 12th January 2024, 05:17 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

I don't think I've done one of these in a few years so, plus ça change wink.gif

Watch this space
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 13th January 2024, 05:43 AM
Post #2
Group icon

Generally it was a busy year for music for me, hitting just a few k less plays than 2022, which was itself only the second year since 2016 in which I passed 30k plays within the year.

Normally I listen to music most days at work. The majority of that is spotify, with maybe 10% being on the radio and 5-10% being on youtube. Universal scrobbler tool has been invaluable in the last couple years for tracking those and saving to listen again certain songs I wasn't already familiar with, whether old or new.

It was close but all of the tracks in my eventual top 20 of the year did end up being releases from 2023 or 2022.

I'll also drop in some of the older songs that made a big splash with me this year, whether discovering for the first time or rediscovering.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 13th January 2024, 06:12 AM
Post #3
Group icon

20 // Tove Lo // I Like U

Had I discovered this sooner it might have been in contention for an even higher spot. Unfortunately I didn't get on with a few of the tracks that Miss Tove dropped before this one so I ignored it completely for about the first month or two of its release, only ending up discovering it through a shuffle playlist where at first I thought it was by a new artist. Tove has a decent history on my charts, racking up to date four #1s including this one, and a string of other top ten and twenty 'singles'. I'm highly anticipating her planned 2024 collabs with SG Lewis and Flume.

19 // Ilsey // Heart of Gold

The first cover in the countdown. This was another shuffle discovery but turned out to be a really lovely country/hazey/shoegazey take on Neil Young featuring Bon Iver on the backing vocal. Ilsey is perhaps best known as a feature vocalist on mostly dance tracks, but dropped a lovely little pop-folk EP in 2023 including this and a few other tracks. This was another #1 for me and she very nearly had another as well which you might see me submitting for a contest in 2024.

18 // Nothing But Thieves // Overcome

Their biggest chart hit to date for me and another #1. NBT have had a few minor hits on my charts before but this sounding like a theme tune to an 80s movie was right up my street. Just a shame it got a little overshadowed in the official charts by their lead single Welcome to the DCC.

17 // Latto & Lu Kala // Lottery

The first non-#1 of the countdown. Fresh (ish) off the success of Big Energy and a few other minor hits in 2022, Latto followed up quite nicely with this slightly Doja-esque disco bop featuring Lu Kala on the chorus. This peaked just outside my top 5 but had a second run at the chart with the warmer weather after debuting around the spring initially, helping it land within my top 20 plays for the year.

16 // Ben Howard // Days of Lantana

It was a good year for Ben Howard who's only before had some very minor hits on my charts. Album 'Is It?' is really solid and has several standout tracks, but this is one of the more repeatable ones and also has something of a timeless quality to it, which helped it slot on to a lot of my 2023 playlists that featured a lot of throwback/retro music. Walking Backwards from the same album also lands in the top 100 this year, and off the back of the album I've (re)discovered some of BH's earlier work which is great to sing along to.

---

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 13th January 2024, 06:28 AM
Post #4
Group icon

15 // Dua Lipa // Dance the Night

A slice of near pop perfection from Dua. Houdini, despite being something of a sleeper hit, also manages to land within my top 100 for the year despite its Q4 release date and competition with a lot of Christmas music around that time of year. Its set to hit a new peak in my Jan 24 charts. As for DTN, a nice little earner for Dua off the back of Barbie's billion pound box office draw, and shows just how far she's come from her shaky start as a minor pop girl unsure if she might ever break through.

14 // David Guetta, Anne-Marie & Coi Leray // Baby Don't Hurt Me

I have no shame, I enjoyed this. Yes, it's trashy, yes, it's a sendup/cover of a classic existing song. But, in this case I don't care. It's structured well and it's just a modernised alternative, not a replacement or an 'adding lyrics to an existing instrumental bit' like that godawful Issey Cross symphony that came out later in the year. Very repeatable. I also ended up liking the Guetta/Kim Petras Scooter cover one laugh.gif

13 // Romy // Enjoy Your Life

One of three top 5 singles for me for the ex-XX member in 2023, all of which vyed for number 1 through their runs but only one of which (Strong) actually made it there. However, it split its plays across 2022 and 23 so falls foul of the boundary here. This was another winning moment for Romy and picked up a lot of plays as it reflected my general approach to 2023, especially earlier in the year when I had more time to do things before half of my team at work left and weren't replaced!

12 // Käärijä // Cha Cha Cha

Eurovision's and my own fan favourite of the contest this year. As anyone familiar with Jupiterdonia's music taste could tell you, a fusion of growly rock and hyperpop was never not going to be a top scorer for me, although Loreen definitely planned the full package to seal the deal with juries, so we can't knock her. Incidentally Tattoo also made it into my top 30. Hoping to see more from Mr K in 2024, is a guest appearance at the next finale totally out of possibility?

11 // Jessie Ware // These Lips

Jessie Ware tracks often prove to be slow burners for me and this was no exception, floating around my top 40/50 off and on for a lot of the year before eventually surging in the early summer and ending up peaking in my top 5. She's already at work on the next album apparently, but I expect I might yet end up charting a lot of the existing tracks from That Feels Good in 2024. Begin Again also lands in my top 30 of the year after a similar slow ascension run. Between the two tracks alone Jessie lands an impressive 20 weeks charting within my top 40, nearly half of the year!

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 14th January 2024, 03:21 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hi there!

Nice to see "Overcome", "Lottery", "Dance The Night" and "Cha Cha Cha" on here!

Can't wait for the top 10.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 16th January 2024, 06:57 AM
Post #6
Group icon

10 // Kali Uchis // Moonlight

This was an unexpected delight and by far the best Kali Uchis has done on a year end chart for me, although she's had a few hits before including La Luz and After the Storm. Its mostly in English with a bilingual bonus in the chorus. It's this year's highest R&B track.

9 // Troye Sivan // Rush

It was a phenomenal comeback year for Troye after a few drip drop releases over the last few years, none of which really took off with me. I've been a fan for (what's now incredibly) nearly ten years, since the first EP iirc, and it's been great to see his evolution including embracing, and more importantly, being accepted to embrace a more confident in himself image that includes sexuality, instead of having to hide it behind half-truths and metaphors like queer male icons of the past. This is the first of three #1s Troye notched on my chart this year and has the advantage of being released earlier over the other two, although so far Got Me Started is proving to be the longer runner with thirteen consecutive weeks in the top 40 as of the end of 2023.

8 // The Maine // Blame

Incredibly for a band with a lot of sustained success and a string of over 20 hits on my chart since their debut in 2016, Blame marks The Maine's first chart topper. It had a long run to get there as well, proving a slow burner at first and only reaching the summit in its 10th charting week - usually my chart toppers make it there in the first four weeks as my charts run on a monthly tracking time. It's a strong comeback single, putting the group on a borderline (imo) between pop rock and pop punk which they've straddled successfully in the past few releases. They seem to be already hard at work on something new so perhaps they'll notch another in 2024.

7 // Pink // Trustfall

A welcome and unexpected return for one of the artists I've been a fan of the longest, Pink. Trustfall saw her first genuine foray into a dancier sound with this title track produced by Fred Again and sounding very influenced by Robyn's later work. I hope to see Pink live this year for the first time since her 2009 tour, incredibly 15 years ago now. This was another both chart topper for me and long stayer picking up plays through the year.

6 // Holly Humberstone (& MUNA) // Into Your Room

And finally for this section the latest release in the year to make it into the top 20, or indeed, the top 100 I believe. This is Holly Humberstone's first number 1 after a few low entries in the chart since 2021 and isn't at all what I expected her to be capable of, a really solid pop track, only boosted further by the remix featuring MUNA which I've combined with its single mix total. Debuting in the 30s in early October this grew organically and stuck around my charts (also helped out by a bit of radio play) before finally hitting #1 in its eleventh week, just before Christmas. She's already charting another track for me now in 2024, one to keep a watch on. Also a welcome return for MUNA whose previous album I was a little so-so on.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 19th January 2024, 09:34 PM
Post #7
Group icon

After starting small in order to actually finish one of these for once, I've actually blitzed through this one! So I will be featuring a few 'bonus rounds' as well after the top 5 is posted.

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 19th January 2024, 10:57 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Nice to see "Rush" and "Trustfall" going to the top 10.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 19th January 2024, 11:20 PM
Post #9
Group icon

Finally the top 5 now - and after these, some bonus rounds will be coming up to close out the year cool.gif

5 // Alok & Ava Max // Car Keys

Can honestly say I never expected a track with such a title would end up in my end of year chart, but Miss Ava made it work. This is despite the janky title a really solid dance track, only enhanced by its car racing video. With 13 total weeks across three runs this is one of my 2023 chart's longest-runners and yet another #2 hit for Ava who has notched up about five of them since her debut - but never a chart topper. Maybe 24 will be her year?

4 // Calvin Harris & Ellie Goulding // Miracle

A fab return to form from both artists, despite Ellie's questionable brunette cut in the video. Followed-up by the also strong Promises for Calvin Harris and some not so great features in the year by Ellie, but rumours abound of another collab from the both of them to drop in 2024. This was the (high profile) start of a swing to classic eurodance trance in 2023 which is for me a welcome return of a subgenre that started my musical journey. This one had several runs on my charts including 3 weeks at number 1 shortly after its release.

3 // Ice Spice & Nicki Minaj // Princess Diana

Only a few plays ended up separating this top 3. I did not expect at the start of 2023 to ever see Nicki Minaj having a hit again after some of her antics really put me off her, however unfortunately enough, this is such a bop. Ice's original version is good too but this was the version that I heard first and is boosted by radio and video plays to reach this high. It's a track that I forget wasn't an official #1 anywhere as it was for sure one of the biggest songs on my chart this year and a recurrent club/going out soundtracker.

2 // Kylie Minogue // Padam Padam

This one topped my spotify wrapped this year but after that wrapped ended up being pipped to the post by just a few plays by the eventual year end #1. This was all in all a very strong year for Kylie for me who despite being seen as past her commerical peak for some time has had several strong swan song eras already with me delving into both country and disco genres before triumphantly returning to mainstream pop-dance in 2023 and perhaps even surpassing her label's expectations. Padam Padam is the first track in my chart history to hit #1 three separate times with breaks in between and was certainly one of my songs of the summer and a soundtrack to the multiple Prides I attended this past year. It was great to see Kylie so embraced and celebrated and feeling so strong in herself as an artist and the icon she is. With four total weeks topping my chart this was my biggest #1 of the year.

1 // Peggy Gou // Nanana (It Goes Like) - Edit

What an unexpected but welcome surge. I think this makes it the third year running that my summer dance anthem has ended up the year-end leader. It's not Peggy's first hit on my charts (that honour goes to Starry Night, from 2019) but it is by far her biggest to date. Jex Opolis remix of I Believe in Love is picking up some traction in 2024 as well. This late summer hit was timeless and although it never actually topped my chart, did rack up an incredible 17 weeks within my top 40, more than any other track of the year, across three separate runs (July, October, December). I hope she strikes while the iron is hot and comes back with something else for this year's summer.

And that's my top 20 tracks of 2023!

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 20th January 2024, 03:41 PM
Post #10
Group icon
we'll find a way
User: 38,591

Peggy cheer.gif agree it sounds timeless! Great to see 'Car Keys' in the top 5 too.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 30th May 2024, 07:57 PM