BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Ultraviolence's EOY: 2018 Edition, #171-#200 Posted | This Is No Sweet but a Delicate, Shallow countdown.
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post 27th December 2018, 01:43 AM
Post #61
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

QUOTE(SantaDalek32 @ Dec 24 2018, 01:02 AM) *
I like The 1975, though not as much as other people do.
I really like Leave A Light On and Shotgun. Though I kinda agree with you on that drop in the former; I thought it sounded out of place on a melancholy piano ballad focusing on Walker looking out for a friend of his struggling to break his dangerous habit of addiction.
Lift Yourself: I heard people talk about this 'poopity-scoop' thing in a /notmu/ group on Facebook one of my friends signed me up for last year, and I was like WOOT?. I then watched/listened to CDTVProductions' Top 10 Bad Songs by Great Rappers video and Kanye West's Lift Yourself made it on to that list (but not at number one. That spot was awarded to Hopsin's Happy Ending). I ended up listening to the track and found it to be a hilarious troll songdue to the anticipation of waiting for Ye to go hard on a really good rap beat involving a nicely done old soul sample but all he does is make up his own language during a short verse.

Thanks Dalek <3
Yeah some people ik are so overboard with them and never stop mentioning them, I just don't get it haha sad.gif Yh the drop ruins it so much for me haha! Never heard of Happy Ending but it must be horrific to beat Lift Yourself! It's SO so bad haha.

QUOTE(Calum @ Dec 25 2018, 06:30 PM) *
Empty Space and Shotgun sad.gif I really like both, but I can see why they'd, particularly Shotgun, be or become annoying.

Thanks Calum <3
Ahh hopefully you'll hate more of the songs coming in the top 10! Yeah I just find Shotgun so annoying, even from first listen & it got worse with it being everywhere haha sad.gif

QUOTE(LewisGT @ Dec 25 2018, 09:33 PM) *
Shame to see All Mine, Venom, The Light Is Coming, Look Alive, Taste, Yikes, Funky Friday, SAD! & Zeze here. I love all of them. Especially The Light Is Coming. sad.gif

I certainly agree about Shotgun & Baby Shark though. Both massively overplayed especially considering they were pretty crap and annoying to begin with.

I'm certain I would hate 'Lift Yourself' too but I've managed to only hear about 2 seconds of it.

Thanks Lewis <3
Omg messT at our taste differences there!!! At least there'll be plenty of Ari to come in the good songs chart x
Omg preach that Shotgun/BS comment, legit hated both from first listen and they've just got worse and worse!
Lucky you, I'm envying u rn xx

QUOTE(PopChartsPH @ Dec 26 2018, 01:38 AM) *
I can definitely agree to the annoying thing known as Baby Shark.

Thanks PopChartsPH <3
Omg ikr, it's SO irritating sick2.gif

QUOTE(Petivity @ Dec 26 2018, 11:43 AM) *
Going to be honest, I'm actually finding Baby Shark's longevity incredibly amusing laugh.gif Some other quite good songs in here but as I've said already Taste is an abomination and I didn't really see the point of any of the Kanyes either really.

Thanks Pete <3
I honestly think it's gonna get worse ugh, can see it going top 15 after the Xmas songs disappear ffs sad.gif Yasss at your continuous Taste hate & Kanye hate *.*

QUOTE(Liаm @ Dec 26 2018, 08:48 PM) *
Boppy Shark do do do do do do xx

No xxxxxxxxxxx

QUOTE(Conderella @ Dec 26 2018, 09:56 PM) *
the 1975 are so beyond bland I cannot fathom why they are successful right now... and pitchfork gave them a #1 of 2018. were they listening to the same song??

xxxtentawhatever is permanently cancelled with no chance of parole. I haven't had a pleasure of purposefully listening to a single song of his because it would count as a stream and that's a big NOPE. but I think I heard a few of them in clubs, stores and whatever, i.e. somewhere where I have no control over the music sad.gif why the hell was his album in the 'new albums' section on Apple Music for MONTHS after his death I will never know.

Thanks Pavel <3
Ikr I don't get it at all sad.gif Pitchfork are so wrong with that choice ffs, that of all albums being #1 sad.gif Honestly so agree with them being bland af, at least we have our ears working well with their shit music kink.gif
And echo that comment about that trash *.* I don't think I've ever streamed a song of his as well ffs, those examples are legit like the only places I've heard his stuff sad.gif Apple Music are trash ew and ik so many people who know all about him and still praise him to high heavens sad.gif

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 26 2018, 10:04 PM) *
Nothing TOO objectionable in your hatechart so far Sam, although I do enjoy songs like Shotgun and Thursday!

Thanks Joseph <3
Yasssss not too surprised tho as our taste slays *.* Ew at ginger witch stanning tho, thank u, next, we're done with that taste x
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 27th December 2018, 01:55 AM
Post #62
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Let's get this done *.* #5 to #1 coming at like 2:45ish x

10. Christina Aguilera, 2 Chainz, Ty Dolla Sign - Accelerate
And kicking off the top 10 is a comeback I was very hyped for, until I heard the lead single. It's been 6 years since Xtina last released an album and if this was the best she should come back, she should've made it another six. The song is an utter clusterf*** of a track. There's like 2 or 3 okay-ish songs in there but combined it's a complete mess. The total non-event of a chorus, the verses are up there with the worst of the year, the video is abominable, why the f*** is Ty Dolla Sign screaming and making random noises like a 2 year old all over the track, 2 Chainz's rap is forgettable and Trash-ye's production is a complete disaster (and this isn't just my blind-hatred of Kanye guiding me, I hated this before even realising he was involved in it). An utter f***ing messT. Well this didn't accelerate on the charts at all cos in order to do that you actually need to make a top 100 x

9. Lil Dicky feat. Chris Brown - Freaky Friday
Ik this novelty and blah blah blah but WHY THE f*** IS THAT c**t STILL GETTING HITS/SUPPORT/POPULAR. Utter utter trash. One of the most horrifying #1's of the year (this is the highest #1 of the year here but the current one runs it close tho that's for charity so I'll give this one the worst title). The lyrics are dreadful, the vocals are meh and this song just beyond infuriates me.

8. The 1975 - TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIMEBLAHBLAHBLAHPRENTENIOUSSHIT
It's them again with their last appearance of their song. HATE the video (though it's not as bad or pretentious as the video for The Sound ew), the song is an annoying irritating crappy racket and it's possibly their 2nd worst song to date which really is something. Hate this with a passion and if I heard it more it could really be in the running for the top position here.

7. James Arthur & Anne-Marie - Rewrite The Stars (& please never record a cover of a good song again)
The original Rewrite The Stars by Zac Efron & Zendaya is utterly fabulous and they slay the vocals so much. James and Anne, not so much. The only bad song on the Reimagined album so ofc this is the biggest hit. The chemistry in the original is completely gone, the original is soaring whilst this is flat af. Anne isn't horrendous but she's not good on this either and has no patch on Zendaya. James' vocals however are absolutely tragic and he completely ruins the song with his dreadful voice. However he didn't take my advice from the title here as he also covered I'll Never Love Again recently, something that I'll be avoiding forever. This continues James' awful year and a bad end to the year for Anne with this + Perfect To Me. I didn't even feel anything but strong dislike for this on my first couple of listens but more listens and this is up there with the worst of the year.

6. Jason Derulo, David Guetta, her, Willy William - Goodbye
Why??????????????? Who's f***ing un-genius idea was it to sample that Goodbye song with Jason giving shit verses, trash Guetta production, another shite 2018 Nicki rap and Willy William screaming randomly. This is possibly the only song that's messier than Accelerate, ew at this even being a minor hit. So SO bad and I never ever ever want to hear this in my life again, a f***ing travesty on all proportions.

So top 5 soon!! Predictions?

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 27th December 2018, 02:34 AM
Post #63
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Acc I'm tired so top 5 will come first thing tomorrow morning, top 10 videos in full in the afternoon and then countdown from Friday *.*

Any top 5 Hatechart predictions + Top 10 video predictions?

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 27th December 2018, 03:28 AM
Post #64
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161

Goodbye is objective trash but it’s a huge bop, I can’t lie kink.gif Accelerate is lowkey embarrassing with the video but I like the song. AND BABYSHARK IS ESSENTIAL. Can’t argue with the others in this hate chart *.*

This post has been edited by Andrew.: 27th December 2018, 03:29 AM

+Quote this post
danG
post 27th December 2018, 10:17 AM
Post #65
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Accelerate was just plain awful from what I remember of it anyway, which isn't much. Baffling choice of lead.
Freaky Friday was really annoying and number one in my hatechart.
I quite liked that 1975 song though I do wish they weren't so pretentious with the title.
Rewrite the Stars wasn't any good anyway but they succeeded in making it worse.
Goodbye was such a bad mess of a song too.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 27th December 2018, 12:23 PM
Post #66
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

QUOTE(Andrew. @ Dec 27 2018, 03:28 AM) *
Goodbye is objective trash but it’s a huge bop, I can’t lie kink.gif Accelerate is lowkey embarrassing with the video but I like the song. AND BABYSHARK IS ESSENTIAL. Can’t argue with the others in this hate chart *.*

Thanks Andrew <3
Yasss at least you hate most of the others *.*

QUOTE(dancember @ Dec 27 2018, 10:17 AM) *
Accelerate was just plain awful from what I remember of it anyway, which isn't much. Baffling choice of lead.
Freaky Friday was really annoying and number one in my hatechart.
I quite liked that 1975 song though I do wish they weren't so pretentious with the title.
Rewrite the Stars wasn't any good anyway but they succeeded in making it worse.
Goodbye was such a bad mess of a song too.

Thanks Dan <3
Glad we're agreeing on most of them *.* Accelerate (bar one song still to come) is easily the worst choice of lead this year, idg who in their right minds approved it???? Tf FF slayed your hatechart & echo the Goodbye comment. RTS original slays tho xxx

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 27th December 2018, 12:32 PM
Post #67
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

5. Sheck Wes - Mo Bamba
I watched Ajay's (a fab youtuber) worst songs of the year countdown last night and her picks all slayed *.* And she basically summed this one up as noise and then moved on. Which is legit what this is. It's just a bunch of utter noise for 3 minutes, there's absolutely nothing to this song. Absolute trash and could've been a contender for #1 if I heard it more than a couple of times.

4. Justin Timberlake - Filthy
One of the worst songs of the year, an utter messT. I remember when everyone thought this was gonna be a #1/the shape of you of 2018 until the piece of shite actually premiered. The production is a complete and utter mess, the lyrics are vulgar, disgusting & horrifically written and the video is also amongst the worst of the year, vile. Thank gosh the public had sense and this flopped pretty much everywhere and set him up for a fab era which also included a super bowl half time slot and album released the same weekend (remember either, nope nor do I x). It was nice seeing Justin bomb cos I've been waiting a heck of a long time for this haha and the super bowl halftime slot was really horrific and so unnoteworthy, I unfortunately wasted 15 mins of my life watching it live. Anyway in conclusion, filthy is diabolical and honestly up there with the worst songs of the decade for me.

3. Pharrell Williams & Camila Cabello - Sangria Wine
Oh Pharrell. I mean he's not produced a good song since Paloma's bop Can't Rely On You nearly 5 years ago (and Sing by Ed is a low-key bop) but this year saw him at his worst by ruining so many albums that had potential (hi Sweetener x) + awful throwaway singles. However Sangria Wine was his worst offering of 2018. I was honestly so hyped for this at first as I'd heard really good things about it and I love Camila. And then I heard the song, the chorus is DIABOLICAL and one of the worst of the years, the production is awful, the vocals are meh and the lyrics are horrifyingly bad. This song was such an entire mess and is one of the worst songs I've endured of 2018. At least the public had taste for once and this missed the top 75 in all major markets *.*

2. that thing & Nicki - Fefe
I cba to write another commentary for this pile of crap so I'll post my hatechart commentary here when I find it.

1. Kanye West & Lil Pump - I Love It
I cba to write another commentary for this pile of crap so I'll post my hatechart commentary here when I find it.
Tho it's easily one of my least fave songs I've ever heard.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 27th December 2018, 02:03 PM
Post #68
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

Haven't heard a lot of Christina's new material, but I did like Fall In Line.
I really like TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME and Filthy.
Not very fond of Fefe.
LOL @ the I Love It video with the ROBLOX outfits. It was also surprising to hear that the director of the music video, Spike Jonze, also directed Being John Malkovich and Where The Wild Things Are

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 27th December 2018, 05:33 PM
Post #69
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Best Videos of 2018: #25-#11:

Top 10 coming later tonight with a nicer presentation x

Honorable mentions:
Anne-Marie - 2002
St Vincent - Fast Slow Disco

25. Selena Gomez - Back To You
I love the video for this and it's Selena's best video since Bad Liar (this is a massive improvement on Fetish and Wolves was beyond forgettable). The visuals are fab and its a really strong video <3

24. Nina Nesbitt - Loyal To Me
This song and video deserved so much better, the New Rules of 2018. My fave Nina video and she slays in this <3

23. Why Don't We - Hooked
My third fave WDW video of the year but they slay in this and look so good (esp Jonah x). The video is also a really good concept.

22. Doja Cat - Mooooooo!
f***ing queen. The most random video of the year, it's so utterly weird and bonkers but that's what makes it so fun. You need to watch this if you haven't seen it already!

21. CupcaKke - Duck Duck Goose
A bawp and the video is crazy but it has a replay-ability factor to it haha. Don't watch if your under 18 tho x

20. Why Don't We - Talk
A pretty basic video but again there's so much rewatchability with this video. They looked cute af, Jonah slays, and its a nice enough video for a hell of a bop.

19. Drake - Nice For What
Even tho it's just typical Drake pandering, I do love how this video celebrates women and so many of my faves pop up, some def unexpected (like Bria Vinaite who was one of the leads in The Florida Project which y'all need to watch x)

18. Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Future - End Game
Yes it's underwhelming and could've been so much better. But this is one of the videos I've watched most this year and Taylor serves so much in this so I'm still here for it. Even if it's not her best video by any means, it does get a bit of a hard time as visually it's fab.

17. Why Don't We - Trust Fund Baby
The highest WDW video is the first ever video I saw of their's. A great introduction to the band and their personalities, they look fit af (yep I'm that shallow oops x) and the individual segments with each band member are cute.

16. Eleni Foureira - Fuego
She serves queen during this *.* The car burning, the choreography and the outfits are all iconic and this is just a killer pop video for a killer pop song.

15. Cam - Diane
Love the video and it fits the song and the lyrics so perfectly! Love the kinda twist at the end and this is one of the best country videos of the year, the concept is executed so so well.

14. Childish Gambino - This Is America
An incredibly relevant video and one of those examples of the videos being way better than the song/the song not really working without the video. The video was shocking but needed to happen and the amount of conversation around it after it dropped was so important.

13. Charli XCX feat. Troye Sivan - 1999
This'd probs be higher if I'd seen it more than a couple of times but its Charli's best video in ages and such a killer video. I love all the different throwbacks (Spice Girls, Titanic and The Matrix *.*) and again the video perfectly fits the song. <3

12. Ariana Grande - God Is A Woman
Ari has been the video queen of 2018 and here's her first appearance *.* As with TIA, this is an example of the video being better than the song, though I do stan this as a song as well. Visually stunning, so many incredible images conveyed, the Madonna interlude speech is done perfectly and even those screaming rodents or whatever make me howl everytime. I love the imagery at the start of the 2nd verse iirc and the last image of the video is so perfectly portrayed. A killer video.

11. Maren Morris - Rich
Another one of my fave country videos of the year, Maren slays so much in this and the plot is fab. I love how it goes from the jungle to the way 'richer' settings and Maren serves country queen during this.

Any top 10 predictions?!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 27th December 2018, 06:03 PM
Post #70
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Mo Bamba, Freaky Friday, I Love It and FEFE are all terrible sick2.gif

The video for This Is America was quite startling, I think if you heard the song without watching the video you don't really get it. 1999 is a really inventive video as well!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 28th December 2018, 12:14 PM
Post #71
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Let's just get this out of the way so we can get on with the fun part x

Best Videos of 2018: #10-#1:

[b]10. Marshmello & Anne-Marie - FRIENDS

This has such a high replay value for me and I've watched it so much this year! It's just a fun video, the concept is executed well and it's easily one of the most enjoyable videos of 2018.

9. Saara Aalto - Monsters

Saara served looks in this and once again it's a good concept executed fabulously <3 The visuals are stunning in this

8. Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow

This video just makes me think non-stop about the incredible film and the video really gets to me due to the film <3 A beautiful 3 min video of incredible scenes from the best film of 2018.

7. Janelle Monae - Make Me Feel

Janelle served so much in this *.* Visually absolutely incredible and easily one of the videos of the year. The different scenes all slay and work so well together <3

6. Ariana Grande - Thank u, next

This is a really good video but I think the pre-release expectations heightened my excitement for this so much that I ended up being a little underwhelmed. I just feel too much about the video was revealed in advance so there was no element of surprise with anything in it sad.gif Tho ofc the video still slays with it being based on 4 iconic movies (the Legally Blonde bits + Jennifer appearing were easily the highlights) and as much as I hate that family, Kris Jenner's cameo was iconic *.* Rounds off an incredible year for Ari music videos.

5. Sugarland feat. Taylor Swift - Babe

First of all I was actually shocked Taylor even appeared in the video for this. But I'm so glad she did as it's such a good video. Taylor is serving with red hair and I love her character arc in this and the whole plot works so well. I love it when we actually get a proper plot in a music video and this is executed so well.

4. Mark Ronson & Miley Cyrus - Nothing Breaks Like A Heart

A late breaker but instantly iconic video! Miley's best in years and probs already Mark's best. The visuals are incredible, the video is exciting and the video also displays so many important messages needed in society right now perfectly. An incredible concept done to an exceptional level.

3. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho

ICONIC *.* Ava is incredible in this and she slays with the red hair wig *.* Again love a video with a plot and Ava turning into a psycho is iconic <3 An instantly iconic first proper video and one that I've re-watched so many times over the past few months. heart.gif

2. Ariana Grande - No Tears Left To Cry

I switched between this and my #1 so many times, easily my runaway top 2 videos of the year and I've probs watched both +50 times!! NTLTC was already iconic on first listen and the video just made me fall even more in love with the song. The visuals slayed, Ariana slayed (her dancing in the 2nd verse *.*) and every part of this video is a MOMENT. The opening is stunning, the lights bit is fab, I adore the chorus visuals, the face part is incredibly well done and the ending is stunning (+ the Manchester reference at the end <3). An absolutely stunning video and one of the best main pop girl vids of the last few years.

1. Taylor Swift - Delicate

So once again, queen Taylor takes the crown for video of the year <3 This video just came at the most perfect time for me and meant so much to me as I had so much shit going on when it was released. This video incorporates all the positives of the Rep era and it was just so nice to see Taylor acc be happy and enjoying herself after the non-events of the era since the album release. It just summed up Reputation and this video really felt like the culmination of the repair of her reputation. The visuals are stunning as well, the Taylor bit early on is iconic (y'all know what bit I'm talking about x), I love the dancing part and the ending in the rain is incredible *.* The invisible parts work so well and the message of just letting everything go and doing whatever you want resolutes with me so much. I adore this video and it's my fave of the year and I still watch it regularly <3

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 28th December 2018, 02:54 PM
Post #72
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

oops just realised I forgot Happier from the video countdown, that would def be top 5!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 29th December 2018, 12:34 AM
Post #73
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

191. Clara Mae - Us [80-57-36-24-34-41-57-72-88-64-X-52-...] - Sales: 479,800
192. Rudimental, Jess Glynne, Macklemore, Dan Caplan - These Days [99-11-5-12-23-40-49-59-69-89-X] - Sales: 479,000
193. Sigrid - Sucker Punch [90-66-59-50-49-32-36-36-55-30-...] - Sales: 475,300
194. Hugh Jackman & The Greatest Showman Ensemble - From Now On [93-43-42-31-30-41-51-68-85-96-X(9 months)-77-...] - Sales: 473,800
195. Lady Gaga - Hair Body Face [12-9-30-51-65-75-86-86-X(x3)-69-...] - Sales: 460,900
196. Anne-Marie - Then [24-35-15-14-13-10-18-30-56-79-94-X] - Sales: 457,700
197. Leony - Boots [50-35-12-22-31-43-54-68-81-X(x5)-81-...] - Sales: 457,300
198. Janelle Monae - Americans [8-12-26-28-38-43-53-67-X] - Sales: 457,100
199. Mary J Blige - Mighty River [10-19-27-35-43-53-64-71-77-91-X] - Sales: 446,000
200. Pink - A Million Dreams [8-15-22-22-33-51-69-X-83-...] - Sales: 443,600

So kicking off our first section, we have six top 10 hits and some long runners cheer.gif (quite a few top 10 hits also missed the top 200 oops)

One film that's going to be very present across this countdown is The Greatest Showman and we kick off with the only reimagined song to make the list, Pink's stunning version of A Million Dreams. However despite peaking 4 places higher than the original, Pink's version is way lower than the original that'll come later. I was def expecting Kelly's version of NE to be the hit in my chart so Pink did fab to do this well. Also in this section we have the first of eight songs from the original soundtrack to make the list! From Now On peaked at 30 back in February and has accumulated 11 chart weeks so far. It's my 2nd least fave from the movie (which I've seen +10 times now) but it's still a fab song and such a moment in the room *.*

Five other top ten hits also grace this section, all of them spending a single week in the top 10! Mary J Blige's Mighty River did nothing on original release but got a big boost from her stunning performance at the Oscars which saw the song snag a top 10 position & rack up 10 chart weeks, whilst Americans was an immediate highlight for me from Janelle's incredible album so therefore it impacted on an immediate top 10 debut and is Janelle's 2nd biggest song to date in my chart I think. Unlike Mary & Janelle, someone who was used to getting big chart success before 2018 was Anne-Marie who continued her string of top 10 hits with Then sneaking into 10th towards the start of the year, though the song quickly fell off after peaking. Anne-Marie scored her first hit in late 2015 with Boy and her first big hit came with Alarm in 2016. Also prone to so many smashes, Lady Gaga racked up the top 10's this year and Hair Body Face was one of the many smashes from the A Star Is Born soundtrack to make my top 200. Queen Gaga also had four top 10 hits that failed to make the top 200 this year tho! (Why Did You Do That, Joanne (WDYTYGPV), Your Song & I Want Your Love). Hair Body Face is such a bop from an incredible film and I love the lyrics & production, the song will hope to pass the 500k mark next week. The last top 10 hit in this section is These Days which was one of the biggest 5 singles of the year in my home country (the UK) and it peaked inside the top 5! This originally looked like it was gonna be a massive hit in my chart but it tailed off kinda quickly as I got a bit bored of it, it's still a solid enough song tho. Jess is the only one we'll be seeing again in this 2018 countdown but even she had a pretty bad year in my chart after her first era saw her get many top 10's (even tho I don't stan her at all haha).

That means we have 3 entries left. Two were underrated pop gems which I tried to enter in BJSC or entered & flopped and y'all should listen to them if you love pop. The lowest of the two is Boots by Leony, a fab country-pop bop that just missed my weekly top 10 (though it got to 12 on v. low sales iirc) whereas despite peaking double the places lower than Boots, Us sold over 20k more and has served better longevity. Us is another pop bop which explodes in the chorus. The song peaked at #24 but could get to platinum sales certification as its starting to rebound in my chart again! Both songs are their respective artists first chart hit. The last song in this section comes from Norweigen popstar Sigrid who broke out with top 10 hit Don't Kill My Vibe at the start of 2017. Sucker Punch is her latest song and an absolute bop but it got lost in the Xmas rush. However it repeaked on my final chart of 2018 and this is set to become a top 10/15 hit as we enter 2019 <3

Recomendation:

+Quote this post
danG
post 29th December 2018, 10:55 AM
Post #74
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I quite like most of your Hatechart top 5 then ph34r.gif At least we can agree Sangria Wine and Fefe are awful, though I don't hate those quite as much as you.

Not a fan of TGS soundtrack (not seen the film, I might watch it one day to see what the huge fuss is about but I'm in no rush to at the moment), P!nk does a decent version of that song though. These Days is brilliant too and will appear very high in my EOY.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 29th December 2018, 11:39 AM
Post #75
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

These Days, Sucker Punch, Americans and A Million Dreams are great

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 29th December 2018, 05:15 PM
Post #76
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Goodbye is the most pointless song I can recall for a long time

I really like Mo Bamba & Filthy from your top 5 but can't argue with the rest. Sangria Wine is WTF levels of atrocious, Fefe is one of the worst hip hop songs of the year & I Love It, well aside from the video which I did laugh at, is not as a song something I've ever rushed back to hear.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 30th December 2018, 04:19 PM
Post #77
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Then and A Million Dreams are my favourites from that section wub.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 1st January 2019, 11:24 AM
Post #78
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Agree with what you said about Jess, there were loads of great songs from her last era but this one was just pretty bland and These Days tailed off for me quickly as well sad.gif Nice to see Boots make an appearance as well, and Sucker Punch is okay but nowhere near as good as Strangers or High Five sad.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 2nd January 2019, 08:33 AM
Post #79
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

QUOTE(dancember @ Dec 29 2018, 10:55 AM) *
I quite like most of your Hatechart top 5 then ph34r.gif At least we can agree Sangria Wine and Fefe are awful, though I don't hate those quite as much as you.

Not a fan of TGS soundtrack (not seen the film, I might watch it one day to see what the huge fuss is about but I'm in no rush to at the moment), P!nk does a decent version of that song though. These Days is brilliant too and will appear very high in my EOY.

Thanks Dan <3
At least we agree on two of them haha *.* You need to watch TGS, imma make u x Yh Pink's is easily the best on the Reimagined version & yasss TD slaying your chart *.*

QUOTE(SantaDalek32 @ Dec 29 2018, 11:39 AM) *
These Days, Sucker Punch, Americans and A Million Dreams are great

Thanks Dalek & glad your stanning those, agreed they're all great <3

QUOTE(dobbo @ Dec 29 2018, 05:15 PM) *
Goodbye is the most pointless song I can recall for a long time

I really like Mo Bamba & Filthy from your top 5 but can't argue with the rest. Sangria Wine is WTF levels of atrocious, Fefe is one of the worst hip hop songs of the year & I Love It, well aside from the video which I did laugh at, is not as a song something I've ever rushed back to hear.

Thanks Dobbo <3
Ikr, it really is pointless af why tf is it even a thing haha?!
At least you dislike 3 of my top 5 *.*

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 30 2018, 04:19 PM) *
Then and A Million Dreams are my favourites from that section wub.gif

Thanks Joseph <3 Fab choices *.*

QUOTE(Petivity @ Jan 1 2019, 11:24 AM) *
Agree with what you said about Jess, there were loads of great songs from her last era but this one was just pretty bland and These Days tailed off for me quickly as well sad.gif Nice to see Boots make an appearance as well, and Sucker Punch is okay but nowhere near as good as Strangers or High Five sad.gif

Thanks Pete <3
Yeah Jess has been a disappointment this year sad.gif Glad your stanning Boots (an underrated bop *.*) and I prefer Strangers to Sucker Punch but prefer SP by quite a bit to High Five (tho my EOY will suggest differently, in a good way for your taste laugh.gif)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 2nd January 2019, 08:56 AM
Post #80
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

181. Lauv feat. Julia Michaels - There's No Way [84-62-53-48-45-47-43-50-57-X-34…] - Sales: 493,300
182. Shawn Mendes - In My Blood [18-31-45-49-52-63-68-74-52-36-60-81-X] - Sales: 490,800
183. Emily Burns - Cheat [95-96-X-93-79-59-45-53-44-46-58-63-77-90-X] - Sales: 488,100
184. Grace Carter - Why Her Not Me [98-89-82-56-47-33-33-37-46-61-74-96-X] - Sales: 487,600
185. Kesha - Here Comes The Change [25-26-37-37-46-46-43-47-59-68-84-X] - Sales: 485,900
186. Kelly Clarkson - Underneath The Tree [49-38-10-X(>40wks)-32-25-5-X(>40wks)-76-34-16-7-X(>40wks)-99-98-100-48-24-12-4-80] - Sales: 483,300
187. Why Don't We - 8 Letters [5-8-17-18-26-45-64-71-96-X] - Sales: 482,800
188. RAYE - Friends [28-11-11-19-27-37-47-56-69-85-X] - Sales: 482,800
189. Alan Walker feat. Sophia Somejo - Diamond Heart [82-58-47-42-38-37-53-66-81-91-46-…] - Sales: 482,100
190. Luis Fonsi & Demi Lovato - Echame La Culpa [53-43-54-57-86-x(x10)-98-9-13-30-44-59-61-68-81-94-X(>30wks)-82-…] - Sales: 481,700

So kicking off our next section, we have only 3 top 10 hits and some very long runners with low peaks cheer.gif

So let's start by talking through those top 10 hits. Why Don't We's 8 Letters is the first top 5 hit to apepar and spent two weeks top 10 before falling down pretty quickly. I've become obsessed with WDW this year and 8 Letters is a really nice ballad with a great video but it's not their best song ever. Also hitting top 10 was Luis Fonsi & Demi's spanglish collab Echame La Culpa which initially struggled in 2017 but I fell in love with it in like Spring 2018 which saw it sneak a week top 10 and 3 weeks top 40! It's a bop so I'm glad it made the top 200 here and has now passed the platinum sales mark in my chart! Easily way better than Luis' much bigger hit from 2017. The third song to reach a new peak in 2018 is Kelly Clarkson's xmas classic Underneath The Tree which charted one place higher than its previous peak two years ago! As with every year since 2014, it's spent a solitary week in the top 10 but this year it spent 8 weeks top 100, more than doubling last years chart week! With that it saw by far its highest sales year to date and became Kelly's third million seller in my chart that's been going since 2014! UTT is becoming an Xmas staple for me <3 Also just missing the top 10 for two consecutive weeks was RAYE's biggest hit of the year with Friends, a good song but not one I really remember or go back to so I don't mind it being a multi-week #11 unlike some other incredible songs that just missed my top 10 (Break Free, Love On The Brain are two examples that come straight to mind).

This section also sees two songs from artists who usually smash here but missed the mark with their latest releases. In My Blood was ok at the time but now I find it lowkey dull and it became Shawn's 2nd lead single in a row to miss my top 10 oops. IMB peaked at 18 but had a good chart run which saw it re-enter the top 40 on album release week. Even though In My Blood underwhelmed a bit, it still did better than the entire Illuminate (?) era (bar There's Nothing Holding Me Back which was his biggest hit on my chart and top 20 EOY last year). Shawn has one more song to come from easily the best song on selftitled. Also missing the mark of her previous songs was Kesha with her movie track Here Comes The Change, it's a nice song but nothing more than that and has little re-playability factor. I thought at one point this would get an early year boost into my top 10 with a potential Oscars nom/performance (not happening as it didn't even make the shortlist) or On The Basis Of Sex's release (but it got delayed here & I don't have much interest in it anymore). Anyway it still went top 25 and spent 8 weeks top 50! Another artist that's had a couple of hits in this section to appear here in Alan Walker who scores his biggest hit since Alone, maybe even Faded, with bop Diamond Heart. Diamond Heart has so far peaked at 37 and spent 11 weeks top 100 but it could reach a new peak in the new year. The song is a complete bop and it Sophia Somejo's first chart hit to date.

Also in this section, we see 3 lead artists score their debut chart hits here. Grace Carter's Why Her Not Me was the first song I've ever heard from her and lyrically it's an incredible song + is vocally sung great. I'd def recommend it and I hope Grace can score a breakout hit or album this year. WHNM initially looked like one of those songs to sneak into my top 100 but would eventually peak at 33 and spend a while in my charts! Also scoring her chart debut was Emily Burns who I discovered on a spotify playlist with her BOP Cheat. Despite just missing the top 40, the song spent over 15 weeks top 100 here and was her breakout hit. Neither Grace or Emily have scored a 2nd hit yet but I can't seen either staying one hit wonders here, esp. Emily who's Damn Good Liar should become a hit in my charts over the next month or so. Also scoring his debut hit was Lauv, who alongside regular chart hitter Julia Michaels, with the first song of his I liked (unlike the other 2, I'd heard previous songs of his before). There's No Way is a fab song and their voices work so well together, Julia makes such good pop music. This peaked in the last week of 2018 after spending loads of weeks just outside the top 40 but its probs peaked now as it's set to plummet to out of my top 75 in my midweeks for the next chart!

Recomendation:

Total Sales to date:
Kelly Clarkson - Underneath The Tree - 1,006,240
Luis Fonsi & Demi Lovato - Echame La Culpa - 626,230

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th May 2024, 10:18 AM