BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Mobo Awards 2024, Impact Award for 2024
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Sacred3
post 9th February 2024, 01:04 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 150,421

For anyone that missed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYOEdu9Y1to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCDQOXMqeIE
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 9th February 2024, 01:12 AM
Post #2
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

Thanks. I was wondering what they performed.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 9th February 2024, 09:21 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

The performance was great! Shame they didn’t do When The Rain Comes but I get it was about their impact (in which case I’d have used Round Round instead of Push The Button as while PTB was the bigger hit, RR had a significant impact on British pop music in the 00‘s)

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 9th February 2024, 10:44 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 120,499

Disappointed the other girls were not even included in the montage. It’s an ‘impact’ award, the other girls contributed to the legacy too.

Especially Heidi, she deserved to be acknowledged. She caused a bigger impact to the groups success than Siobhán. No shade to her but it’s an impact award…

I’ve grew to love 1.0 despite 2.0 being my favourite but I do feel bad the other girls were erased.

Don’t respond to argue, I’m allowed an opinion. If this was best artist of 2023/2024 or best single etc, no issues but this is a LEGACY award.

+Quote this post
Sacred3
post 9th February 2024, 11:29 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

No need to mention the other girls at all!

I also agree that Round Round should have been added to the medley.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 9th February 2024, 01:14 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(Sacred3 @ Feb 9 2024, 11:29 AM) *
No need to mention the other girls at all!

Then no need to mention the “platinum selling & chart topping” “6 number one singles” “8 studio albums” “multi award winning” “most successful girl group of the 21st century” since Siobhan and that line up has none of those accolades, no chart toppers, no platinum albums, 2 studio albums, no real awards… I mean they even placed the cds together to cut out Heidi lol how petty. 😂

It should say “one silver single” “one gold album” “one top 10” “one member who escaped out a toilet window” cool.gif

This post has been edited by spiceboy: 9th February 2024, 01:50 PM

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 9th February 2024, 01:39 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

^ Agreed.

Imagine thinking at least Heidi shouldn't be mentioned, delusional.

It is an impact/legacy award, the other girls DESERVED a mention at the very least. They contributed so much to the success, heck even Amelle did more than Siobhan.

I get this is the current line-up and I now enjoy 1.0 but 2.0/3.0 were so much more successful and deserved a mention.

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 9th February 2024, 01:42 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Heidi posted this the day after the awards, posing infront of her awards for her impact of being a Sugababe during their peak year.

I feel bad for the former members not getting a mention, glad Heidi showed off her awards/plaques.

+Quote this post
DoggySwami
post 9th February 2024, 01:52 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,950

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Feb 9 2024, 03:14 PM) *
Then no need to mention the “platinum selling & chart topping” “6 number one singles” “8 studio albums” “multi award winning” “most successful girl group of the 21st century” since Siobhan has none no chart toppers, no platinum albums, 2 studio albums, no real awards… I mean they even placed the cds together to cut out Heidi lol how petty. 😂

It should say “one silver single” “one gold album” “one top 10” “one member who escaped out a toilet window” cool.gif

This is very unfair because lots of people had no issue seeing Amelle on the cover of the GH, or 3.0 and 4.0 having the same introduction as you are quoting and not having a mention of past members. Also it doesn't make sense to complain that other members' achievements are being erased and follow that up by reducing the achievements of Keisha and Mutya to the debut album even though they have done lots more.

At the end of the day it's just as simple as MKS are the current and members so they focus the attention on them, and this is business as usual with girlbands. Heidi, Amelle, and Jade benefited from this before and now it's other people's turn. Not saying that the situation was handled perfectly but that's how it works.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 9th February 2024, 01:53 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Queen of Soon

The montage was always going to cause issues along parts of the fanbase. Very damned if they do damned if they don’t moment. I do understand why it was limited to the current line up, but even tho 1.0 is the longest reigning line-up I would have included 2.0 a little as well. (Don’t come for me Amelle/Jade Stan’s but the last two line ups had the impact of wet cardboard)

IMO their „impact“ (because commercial success =/= impact) can be pulled down to 3 eras/moments and that is how I would have structured the montage:

- Overload / One Touch - nothing sounded like it at the time. It was just so entirely unique and different. It inspired scores of artists
- Freak Like Me & Round Round - both of these were groundbreaking and helped redefine British pop music (this is where I would have included 2.0 in the montage). There are multiple essays on just how much Freak and RR(in conjunction with Sound Of The Underground) literally irreversibly changed how pop music was made in the UK
- Flatline / Reclaiming the Name / Sacred Three / Lost Tapes - Again critically acclaimed like the debut but a huge cultural impact on the first line up coming back, the fight for the name, taking ownership of their music and career - and the absolute rave reviews to their performances like shutting Avalon Field for the first time

Would have had a Voxpop for each era from an industry professional talking about how it inspired and influenced them/the industry. Would have finished with a like scrapbook/flickerbook montage of videos/performances/photos etc from every one of the 8 album eras to the „multi platinum, 6 number ones blah blah“ bit and finished on a clip of them hugging on stage at the end of the glasto set

Would be interested how y’all would have done the montage

+Quote this post
Silas
post 9th February 2024, 01:59 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Queen of Soon

QUOTE(Slayer @ Feb 9 2024, 02:39 PM) *
^ Agreed.

Imagine thinking at least Heidi shouldn't be mentioned, delusional.

It is an impact/legacy award, the other girls DESERVED a mention at the very least. They contributed so much to the success, heck even Amelle did more than Siobhan.

I get this is the current line-up and I now enjoy 1.0 but 2.0/3.0 were so much more successful and deserved a mention.

I am really really REALLY over the constant negation of Siobhan’s contribution to the band. without her, Heidi and Amelle would be literal nobodies working in tesco. The bands entire reputation and access to producers throughout their career was built on the back of One Touch - which wouldn’t exist without Siobhan and her contributions.

One Touch is the single most impactful and important part of their career. Love it or not but it’s still beloved and cited as an influence and inspiration over 20 years later by critics, other artists, industry professionals and more. That is the definition of impact, not sales.

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 9th February 2024, 03:04 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

We can agree to disagree as I definitely do not agree with you.

One Touch is my least favourite album and Heidi saved them when she came on board.

I stand with my opinion and you stand with yours.

I like Siobhan now and think she is great in the band but the reiterate this is a legacy award the girls deserved a mention at the minimum. I did not at any point say Siobhan had no impact, she just had much less than Heidi and even Amelle in my opinion.

This post has been edited by Slayer: 9th February 2024, 03:09 PM

+Quote this post
Simon.
post 9th February 2024, 03:57 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
User: 126

I agree with the above, all girls contributed in their own way. Heidi especially deserved a shout out from the girls in the speech or to AT LEAST be part of the montage.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 9th February 2024, 04:23 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(DoggySwami @ Feb 9 2024, 01:52 PM) *
This is very unfair because lots of people had no issue seeing Amelle on the cover of the GH, or 3.0 and 4.0 having the same introduction as you are quoting and not having a mention of past members. Also it doesn't make sense to complain that other members' achievements are being erased and follow that up by reducing the achievements of Keisha and Mutya to the debut album even though they have done lots more.

At the end of the day it's just as simple as MKS are the current and members so they focus the attention on them, and this is business as usual with girlbands. Heidi, Amelle, and Jade benefited from this before and now it's other people's turn. Not saying that the situation was handled perfectly but that's how it works.

Tons of people had issues with Amelle on the cover of the GH, like I didn’t know anyone who thought that was a good idea, I remember all the posts about how it should have been a name on the cover only and no picture posts. Also when did 3:0 ever get an award like this about their legacy? They got awards for their current achievements at that time of which of course Amelle was a part of, this is literally a legacy / impact award over the last 25 years.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 9th February 2024, 05:08 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Queen of Soon

The Guinness world record for most successful female artist of the 21st century or whatever it was, was given to 3.0 and only 3.0 images were used at the time

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 9th February 2024, 05:48 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Silas @ Feb 9 2024, 05:08 PM) *
The Guinness world record for most successful female artist of the 21st century or whatever it was, was given to 3.0 and only 3.0 images were used at the time

That’s nice but this was from the girls themselves where they could have dropped a mention.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 9th February 2024, 08:32 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Silas @ Feb 9 2024, 05:08 PM) *

That’s also totally different it’s literally one image, this video actively went out of its way to cut out Heidi and the others in the clips and on the CD covers, seriously ridiculous.

I’ll be honest I don’t really care but I think it’s a joke. 🤷‍♂️

This post has been edited by spiceboy: 10th February 2024, 08:07 AM

+Quote this post
Sacred3
post 9th February 2024, 11:30 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

I wish their performance was longer with more songs.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 10th February 2024, 07:32 PM
Post #19
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Worth remembering that this kinda thing has happened in the past but with different line-ups - Amelle was on the front cover of Overloaded despite being on four out of 15 songs, in comparison to Mutya being on the other 11! Little Mix's greatest hits was a similar scenario, excluding Jesy from the artwork despite her being on most of the songs.

Considering Sugababes have been the butt of many jokes over the years about the line-up changes, I think it's good from a PR perspective to keep focus on Mutya, Keisha and Siobhan to solidify that they are Sugababes and will be now as long as they want to be active. I agree that it was the original three who created the foundations and essence for everything that came later. Not that Heidi didn't contribute loads to the group of course!

I don't think the album graphic deliberately excluded Heidi, surely they'd be more willing to avoid Amelle and especially Jade but they're the ones on show for Change, Catfights and Sweet 7...! (not that you can really see two of them x)

Either way, I think their performance was really great and they picked three surefire crowd pleasers. They could've easily included Round Round, Hole in the Head, About You Now, or slowed it down a little to include Stronger, Too Lost in You, etc. It just goes to show how many classics they have, a testament to their talent and success (of members past and present)

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 10th February 2024, 08:24 PM
Post #20
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

I’ve been trying to put my thoughts into words and I think you did it perfectly Joseph.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 14th May 2024, 02:02 PM