BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> UK Local Elections 2024, 2nd May (England & Wales)
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Liam sota
post 2nd May 2024, 06:10 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 173,568

For London mayor I voted Susan hall mainly because I don't like sadiq, he's been around too long and hasn't done anything worthwhile I suspect he will win in a close race
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Hassaan
post 2nd May 2024, 06:14 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 22,168

QUOTE(DoBelieveTheHype @ 2nd May 2024, 06:32 PM) *
You might be disappointed - the polls are almost always worse for the Tories than the reality.
I think it's different now though. There seems to be an even greater sentiment of "we're sick of the Tories" and it's not just online noise, like it might have felt like in 2019.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 2nd May 2024, 06:25 PM
Post #43
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

QUOTE(DoBelieveTheHype @ 2nd May 2024, 05:09 PM) *
I can't debate with people who are this blinkered by their own support for certain parties. I just can't. The Boundary Commission - an independent body that has nothing to do with the Conservatives - redraw the boundaries based on population sizes and other factors. It's not gerrymandering and would have happened regardless of party in power.

Everyone has had plenty of warning they need ID to vote - if they don't have it by now that's on them.

The Tories are evil - as evidenced by their attitude to disability benefits in recent days - but lets not make stuff up.

I don't think it happened but never wise to dismiss out of hand the governing party interfering in an independent commission's business, especially as it's projected to favour them further even after their winning 4 elections in a row. Very healthy to be vigilant over levers of democracy as this Tory party have shown they're not above similar things like stacking the media with friends to weigh the scales in their favour there.

Polling has long taken into account 'shy Tory' effects and all signs point towards it really being that bad for them this time. When they're putting up absolutely dreadful candidates like Susan Hall and even their best (Street and Houchen) are being talked about in terms of 'just about hanging on', there's very few ways they come out of this round with their dignity intact.

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 2nd May 2024, 06:38 PM
Post #44
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(Liam sota @ 2nd May 2024, 07:10 PM) *
For London mayor I voted Susan hall mainly because I don't like sadiq, he's been around too long and hasn't done anything worthwhile I suspect he will win in a close race

She's just more Tory trash. Sadiq is 100 times the politician that Tory could ever be.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 2nd May 2024, 07:05 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

Hoping that Sadiq wins by a landslide and the battle between him and Susan turns out to not be close at all. Susan is nothing but a bag of lies and her party are directly or indirectly responsible for a lot of the aggrevation voters have had with Sadiq Khan about things like ULEZ/Knife Crime/TFL etc.

She's nothing but slogans.

I think things will be better for London as a whole with Sadiq as mayor with a likely labour government coming to power - removing the current tactic of the conservatives forcing him to do unpopular things and getting the blame instead of the government.

+Quote this post
Liam sota
post 2nd May 2024, 07:13 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 173,568

QUOTE(Long Dong Silver @ 2nd May 2024, 07:38 PM) *
She's just more Tory trash. Sadiq is 100 times the politician that Tory could ever be.

I don't rate him at all. I'm not really a fan of lawyers in general they always seem sketchy. Susan Hall doesn't seem the brightest but at this point anyone would be a nice change from Sadiq. I also don't like the idea of 3 terms, it becomes too much. For me a mayor should get two terms then leave but he won't step down for another candidate, too power hungry.

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 2nd May 2024, 07:44 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(Envoirment @ 2nd May 2024, 08:05 PM) *
Hoping that Sadiq wins by a landslide and the battle between him and Susan turns out to not be close at all. Susan is nothing but a bag of lies and her party are directly or indirectly responsible for a lot of the aggrevation voters have had with Sadiq Khan about things like ULEZ/Knife Crime/TFL etc.

She's nothing but slogans.

I think things will be better for London as a whole with Sadiq as mayor with a likely labour government coming to power - removing the current tactic of the conservatives forcing him to do unpopular things and getting the blame instead of the government.

I hope Labour are taking note! They should have employed these same dirty tcatics vs Blojo as mayor. He eas useless anyway.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 2nd May 2024, 08:00 PM
Post #48
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Sadiq's managed to be the most powerful elected Labour official in the country for several years prior and has been relatively effective as a lawmaker for London, even taking party loyalty out of the equation he's a much better candidate than any of his opponents I think on most metrics.

Yes three terms is a fair amount of time and I might have expected him to return to MP so he could run for party leader at the next available opportunity, but well, it's not a presidency, we don't need to be enforcing 2-term limits and the effective incumbent is still up for giving it another go.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 2nd May 2024, 08:01 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

The Tories changed the law so that the government controls what the Electoral Commission's priorities are.

There is no evidence that voter ID fraud is a significant issue. The voter ID requirements are an attempt to tackle a problem that doesn't exist. Just look at what would be needed to change the outcome of an election.

First, the party planning to commit the fraud would need to identify which seats will be decided by wafer-thin majorities. That is almost impossible. Then, they would have to find people on the electoral register who will definitely not vote. Get that wrong, and a problem will be identified when the second person claiming to be that voter turns up. The party attempting to commit fraud would need to recruit dozens of fake voters for each polling station. The more people involved, the greater the risk of the fraud being detected. It simply isn't practical.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 2nd May 2024, 08:14 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

Guess Burnham and Khan are staying put as they can implement policies/take positions not as predictable or reactionary as Starmer. Not worth it whilst Starmer is rock solid in the Labour Party. Shame what could have been though as both are miles more human and seem to want to change things for the better.

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 2nd May 2024, 08:59 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ 2nd May 2024, 09:01 PM) *
The Tories changed the law so that the government controls what the Electoral Commission's priorities are.

There is no evidence that voter ID fraud is a significant issue. The voter ID requirements are an attempt to tackle a problem that doesn't exist. Just look at what would be needed to change the outcome of an election.

First, the party planning to commit the fraud would need to identify which seats will be decided by wafer-thin majorities. That is almost impossible. Then, they would have to find people on the electoral register who will definitely not vote. Get that wrong, and a problem will be identified when the second person claiming to be that voter turns up. The party attempting to commit fraud would need to recruit dozens of fake voters for each polling station. The more people involved, the greater the risk of the fraud being detected. It simply isn't practical.

PREACH!!!

Tories are to blame for this electioneering and gerrymandering. Amazinf that some see how corrupt and evil the partu is, its dodgy links with postal votes at the last election, irs i troduction of id laws ro disenfranchise people they presumed would be Labour voters - shot themselves in the foot - they thrn go, oh, but I'm SURE it's just a COINCIDENCE that this clear attempt at gerrymandering just HAPPENS to also favour the corrupt rifht wingers in power! Jesus H Christ!!!

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 2nd May 2024, 09:22 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

QUOTE(Long Dong Silver @ 2nd May 2024, 12:21 AM) *
It's not a part of voting. What it is is a pwrt of voter suppression.

It helps stop voter fraud which is surely a good thing?

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 2nd May 2024, 09:26 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Steve201 @ 2nd May 2024, 10:22 PM) *

Where is the evidence that voter fraud is a problem?

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 2nd May 2024, 09:30 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(Steve201 @ 2nd May 2024, 10:22 PM) *

There is no voter fraud. It is taking a sledgehammer to a corkboard. 2.3 million are now ineligible to vote thanks to id laws, plus however many forget and don't bother returning to the polling station, or don't have the time to return. It also deprives the poorest of the right to vote, which is a VERY historical Tory thing to do. Id voting is not needed at all.

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 2nd May 2024, 10:03 PM
Post #55
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

LMAO!!! SWINE IN CHIEF, BLOJO JOHNSON, WAS TURNED AWAY DUE TO HIS OWN VOTER ID LAWS!!! rotf.gif rotf.gif They were never interested in TORIES needing id; they always just wanted to affect Labour's voteshare.

+Quote this post
Hassaan
post 2nd May 2024, 10:17 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Long Dong Silver @ 2nd May 2024, 11:03 PM) *
LMAO!!! SWINE IN CHIEF, BLOJO JOHNSON, WAS TURNED AWAY DUE TO HIS OWN VOTER ID LAWS!!! rotf.gif rotf.gif They were never interested in TORIES needing id; they always just wanted to affect Labour's voteshare.
The cynic in me thinks he did that on purpose for the sake of the headlines and the attention.

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 2nd May 2024, 10:22 PM
Post #57
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

But why draw attention ro his disastrously authoritarian law?

+Quote this post
Hassaan
post 2nd May 2024, 10:26 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Long Dong Silver @ 2nd May 2024, 11:22 PM) *
But why draw attention ro his disastrously authoritarian law?
Maybe so they can justify it or something.

Plus it's Boris Johnson. He'd do anything for attention.

I mean, this is just catnip for the Facebook mums who think he's a loveable funny man.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 2nd May 2024, 10:33 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

Polls closed but hours to wait for any decent news it seems.....Saturday for big mayoral elections inc London

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 2nd May 2024, 10:34 PM
Post #60
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ 2nd May 2024, 10:26 PM) *
Where is the evidence that voter fraud is a problem?

Half the votes in the Belfast West elections come from people buried in Miltown Cemetary!

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 29th May 2024, 02:31 PM