BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Mobo Awards 2024, Impact Award for 2024
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
vibe
post 11th February 2024, 08:41 AM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

How can One Touch be anyones least fav album !!!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 11th February 2024, 11:55 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(vibe @ Feb 11 2024, 08:41 AM) *
How can One Touch be anyones least fav album !!!

When Sweet 7 exists, god knows!

It's middle for me though:

1. Angels
2. Taller
3. The lost tapes
4. Three
5. One Touch
6. Change
7. Catfights
8. Sweet 7

+Quote this post
Sacred3
post 11th February 2024, 10:45 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 150,421

Sweet 7 and Catfights are very weal albums that don't have the Sugababes magic to them.

This post has been edited by Sacred3: 30th April 2024, 03:26 AM

+Quote this post
Simon.
post 12th February 2024, 10:27 AM
Post #24
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
User: 126

Catfights just pips One Touch for me, I think Catfights has stronger album tracks.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 12th February 2024, 12:30 PM
Post #25
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Catfights lacks the obvious single material that all of the other albums have, I find, but it has some really strong album tracks. Side Chick, Can We Call a Truce, Every Heart Broken, Beware, Sunday Rain... the hold they had on me *.*

+Quote this post
Silas
post 12th February 2024, 12:55 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Catfights defo gets done dirty. The singles are two of the weakest tracks on the album. Overall I think it’s a lot more consistent than Change is but it’s defo a big step down compared to 1.0/2.0. I think there is a pretty major gulf in quality after Mutya left and you can feel her lack of impact in Taller. Interestingly, that doesn’t hold for The Lost Tapes, where Shiv seems to more effectively compensate for that

For me the order currently runs:

Three (Perfection)

One Touch (The older this gets the more I love it. It’s timeless)

The Lost Tapes (Oh god what could have been!! Full of great tracks)
Angels with Dirty Faces (Also full of great tracks and I didn’t hate Shape at the O2 but I still hate it in the studio form. f*** sting)

Taller in More Ways (Amelle)
Taller in More Ways (Mutya - Amelle‘s Red Dress has better production but Mutya’s Gotta Be You and Follow Me Home are superior. However, Now You’re Gone is one of the best track the Sugababes have ever done and that alone is enough to elevate the rerelease)

Catfights and Spotlights (Some incredible highlights in this album. Beware is an absolute gem)

Change (The good bits mostly consist of things either they didn’t Write like AYN or were Taller rejects like NGDA. The bad bits are just so poor and dull and so unsugababes and that sadly is half the album. The hill I will die on is that Back Down and 3 Spoons are album/3.0 highlights)

Sweet 7 - Keisha Album Sampler Version (terrible but at least competently produced)

*Heat death of the universe*

Sweet 7 - as it was released (Worst thing to have ever had the Sugababes name attached to it. It sounds prehistoric and in spite of being their second most recent album, it’s their oldest sounding of the 8. nothing about it is a Sugababes record with the one exception of Crash & Burn which is the only thing that has competent production. The rest suffers badly from Jades vocal just being smashed on top of it in a shed in 20 minutes with no care or respect for the end product - tho when the songcraft is this lazy I can understand. Jades whining on Wait For You actually makes my skin crawl, it’s the single worst recording of any line up.)

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 12th February 2024, 01:00 PM
Post #27
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

I think Catfights is a great album! It wasn’t well represented by the singles. Don’t get me wrong, I actually like the singles (seemingly more than most fans) but there are definitely greater album tracks on there. For me it is their most solid work with Amelle. It’s a shame that commercially speaking it’s when things started to unravel because the album deserved to be heard.

I quite like Change (the album) but it’s inconsistent. There’s definitely some gems but it also includes some of the group’s most forgettable songs.

I’m pleased for them winning the MOBO! It’s satisfying to see this, after the last few years of them working at rebuilding their legacy. Maybe an overused phrase but it’s about time that they received their flowers.

The VT controversy… admittedly I think it inadvertently drew more attention to the past members, by apparently going to great lengths to avoid showing them. A casual second or two glimpse of the others (not blurred!) and this drama would probably have been avoided.

I think most would agree that Heidi in particular (of the 3 former members) was a part of the impact that Sugababes were being awarded for, but at the end of the day she’s a former member and that’s been the case for about 13 years. This MOBO award was given to Sugababes, and Sugababes is (and has been for a very long time) Mutya, Keisha and Siobhan.

As for Siobhan, yes she wasn’t there for the platinum albums and #1s, but I don’t think impact purely comes down to the commercial side of things. Sugababes existing at all… it starts with Siobhan! She is more than worthy of receiving the award.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 16th February 2024, 12:29 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Queen of Soon

Queen Keisha has spoken and apparently the girls never got to see the final VT before it went out and didn’t approve it or have a sign off/veto of it

She also forgot to mention her parents in her acceptance speech…

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 16th February 2024, 01:26 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 120,499

Where did she say that?

She also put up a story saying someone unfollowed her on the official Sugababes account.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 16th February 2024, 03:12 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Queen of Soon

+Quote this post
vibe
post 17th February 2024, 03:01 PM