BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> UK Local Elections 2023, 4th May 2022 (Engerland)/18th May 2023 (Norn Iron)
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post 5th May 2023, 12:57 AM
Post #21
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Early point in the night with only about 5% of results in but modest Labour gains, slightly behind where they should be according to polls but roughly in line with what I predicted, Tories potentially down many hundreds of seats if this extrapolates out to the whole picture but their vote percentage share hasn't collapsed dramatically.

Labour seemingly 2 votes away from taking back Hartlepool into control oof.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Smint
post 5th May 2023, 01:26 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

So there's going to be a lot of tactical voting which will cost the Tories dearly I hope!

Interestingly Rehman Chisti (Tory MP for Gillingham) has bravely gone right out and said Suella Braverman's rhetoric is harming them and playing to the Far Right. Could be a very interesting couple of days!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 5th May 2023, 02:32 AM
Post #23
Group icon

Plymouth gain for Labour!

nice, city that really should be solidly Labour based on its circumstances but has been a marginal for a long time.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 5th May 2023, 02:40 AM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Nice that the Tory tree killers there were voted out. Overall though (and I again expect with very minimal hype whatsoever for the Lib Dems to smash it out of the park tomorrow with some juicy results), these aren't brilliant for Labour considering how much of a shitshow the Tories are.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 5th May 2023, 04:19 AM
Post #25
Group icon

QUOTE(Smint @ May 5 2023, 02:40 AM) *
Nice that the Tory tree killers there were voted out. Overall though (and I again expect with very minimal hype whatsoever for the Lib Dems to smash it out of the park tomorrow with some juicy results), these aren't brilliant for Labour considering how much of a shitshow the Tories are.

The Labour line on that is that they've concentrated improving the efficiency of their vote and they are moving forward in lots of key marginal areas, probably enough to unseat lots of vulnerable Tories, particularly those that were Tory gains in 2019. Plus this election is without Labour stronghold London and an area where they're currently expected to make lots of gains, Scotland.

I do think Labour should be making more gains and am blaming Starmer's weaknesses and dishonesty in part for that (but also voter suppression) but it is gratifying to see Tories looking on track to lose 1,000 seats, whether those are to Greens or Lib Dems, I'll take it if it's where Labour couldn't win.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 5th May 2023, 07:42 AM
Post #26
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

That sweet spot of the Tories losing in Remain areas and Labour gaining in pro-Brexit areas. I just hope it isn't so much of a collapse for the Tories that it threatens Sunak and leads to Bojo returning like a turd that won't flush.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 5th May 2023, 07:46 AM
Post #27
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

I’d take Johnson back anytime!

Rishi is an asset for the right imo, Labour polls well with young people but in the same group Sunak polls better than Starmer, that’s all you need to know!!

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 5th May 2023, 08:31 AM
Post #28
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

I think the Lib Dems will be the big winners here. Iz put it really well - the Tories will spin this as Labour not doing so well, but we are missing London & Scotland and there's way less tactical voting in the local elections, plus a way lower turnout.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 5th May 2023, 08:49 AM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Yep Johnson (who is actually more to the left than Sunak on some issues) would cause carnage in the party if returned but doubt he will there, he's lost his mojo (oh dear!)

Do Lib Dems want to rejoin the EU nowadays, I've now lost track. That would go down well in the non-red wall seats in the General Election.

Wish Labour and Lib Dems did some kind of agreement (unlike in 2019 people won't mind) - makes me nervous that they don't.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 5th May 2023, 11:48 AM
Post #30
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Feb 23 2023, 08:08 PM) *
Will likely be making my own predictions closer to the time, but interesting questions in England will be how far will the Tories fall in an election where they control many of the district councils, how much of a bounce will Keir Starmer's Labour have, and having won its first new council seat in 3 decades, will the SDP make it a second in Leeds?

A) They did, they won a 2nd seat in the Middleton Park area of Leeds, winning a seat from Labour.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 5th May 2023, 12:55 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

There are rumours that the Green leader of Brighton and Hove has lost his seat.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 5th May 2023, 03:40 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Bizarre scenes in Broxtowe. In a multi-member ward, two Tories tied for the last seat. One of them was the leader of teh Tory group. They had to draw lots and the leader lost rotf.gif

+Quote this post
Smint
post 5th May 2023, 03:41 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

So less than 2/3 of the councils officially declared and Conservatives have a net LOSS of 29 councils. The War on Woke going Well isn't it? kink.gif

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 5th May 2023, 03:53 PM
Post #34
Group icon

They're losing control of councils across the country where I'd have never expected to see any colour but blue. Wealden, Runnymede, West Devon, East Staffordshire... It's never hard to find Conservatives in places like Devon and Sussex, except, now it is.

(looks like the best the Lib Dems have ever done in Devon too)

Results from Wealden District Council now confirmed. CON loss to NOC.

Going in, 28 Conservative councillors, 7 Independents, 6 LibDems, 4 Green. Conservatives controlled the council with 33 of 45 councillors. Worth noting that some of the independents were elected as Conservatives before splitting away.

Today - 9 Conservatives, 13 LibDems, 11 Green, 10 Independent, 2 Labour.

lmao, Wealden's like the deepest of deep Tory Sussex they're on to nothing

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 5th May 2023, 03:54 PM
Post #35
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

The Greens have taken mid-Suffolk. First outright council majority for the Greens not just in the UK but in the entire Northern Hemisphere !

When I spoke to John Curtice this week he said Labour needs at least a 10 point lead at this stage. They've managed 9.
Labour are likely still just short of a working majority if this were to be tested at a GE. Jeremy Corbyn's casting vote Still in play lads.

QUOTE(Smint @ May 5 2023, 04:41 PM) *

So less than 2/3 of the councils officially declared and Conservatives have a net LOSS of 29 councils. The War on Woke going Well isn't it? kink.gif

Sir John Curtice told me this week "If you look at the long term trends, anti-woke views are becoming less and less common...

“[The Conservatives]are chasing a declining zeitgeist.. attitudes have shifted and they have shifted in a ‘woke’ direction.”

*.*

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 5th May 2023, 05:03 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

QUOTE(Iz 💀 @ May 5 2023, 04:53 PM) *
They're losing control of councils across the country where I'd have never expected to see any colour but blue. Wealden, Runnymede, West Devon, East Staffordshire... It's never hard to find Conservatives in places like Devon and Sussex, except, now it is.

(looks like the best the Lib Dems have ever done in Devon too)
lmao, Wealden's like the deepest of deep Tory Sussex they're on to nothing

Does the English south west not generally swing from Liberall to Tory depending on whether the tories are doing well nationalwide or not?

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 5th May 2023, 05:03 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ May 5 2023, 01:55 PM) *
There are rumours that the Green leader of Brighton and Hove has lost his seat.

Are they just organising the services poorly or is there something else?

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 5th May 2023, 05:57 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

The Lib Dems have taken Surrey Heath, home of Gove. I can remember a time when the Tories held every seat on that council. With Guildford likely to go Lib Dem and the party increasing its majority in Woking there is a real Band Of Gold in Surrey.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 5th May 2023, 06:14 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

The Tories might even get to 1,000 losses laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 5th May 2023, 06:25 PM
Post #40
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

^And it's happened!

Gonna frame this on my wall, beautiful x Now all we need is annihilation in 2024 and we might just about get some solace from what they've turned the country into this past decade and a half.

(My local one was sadly a Tory hold, but it's been this way for over a decade so x)

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 17th May 2024, 12:17 AM