BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
19 Pages V  « < 17 18 19  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 🌪️ BJSC 125 - FINALE RESULTS 🌪️, from tonight 7pm
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Klumzee
post 28th June 2020, 10:28 AM
Post #361
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421

I'm loving these stats Bray they are really interesting! I think I've always had a bias towards my own semi unintentionally, having more time with them does help me get to know the songs better by the time the final comes around. It also doesn't help that I found semi 2 really strong this month and only my 1 pointer didn't make it. It's particularly evident that I'm the 3rd biggest culprit for it laugh.gif

I'm just thinking what I can do to try and avoid any bias in the future? Perhaps listening to all the songs in the first week or joining for the plug session of the other semi just for fun. I'm also wondering about country name bias too as I reckon that also has an effect on me. I tend to cherrypick and listen to the countries I usually like first as their entries grab my interest before I complete a runthrough in the semi order.

I wouldn't say country name ends up affecting the songs that are ultimately my favourites, but when the song isn't grabbing me, I'm more likely to give it another chance if it was sent by one of my favourite countries compared to a country I don't usually vote for, so it might end up towards the lower end of my points due to that bias?

Sorry for the essay x
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
witchsting
post 28th June 2020, 11:35 AM
Post #362
Group icon
CROWN THE WITCH
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

62.9% hithead.gif I thought it was somewhat equal given 2 of my top 3 are from semi-final 2, but then I do have more favourites in the first semi than the second semi. I will try my best to be as unbiased as possible for the next contest. X

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 28th June 2020, 11:42 AM
Post #363
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Well it's good to see I'm fairly balanced, I can't deny I do fall victim to bias when I have less time with the other semi (I often just don't have the time nor the will to listen to 60+ songs in a week, it was hard enough when I AQ'd!), but I do try and make up for it by listening to the Semi 1 qualifiers that I like twice to get a feel of them. Sometimes though, it's just simply my music taste, there were a lot of Semi 1 songs that were right up my street anyway and would've ranked highly either way.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 28th June 2020, 12:03 PM
Post #364
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Congratulations John! It was my favourite of the three contenders so happy that you snatched it happy.gif

The semi 1 vs semi 2 stats are indeed interesting. I'm not surprised that I had a bias towards semi 1 this time, I had far more time to listen in the first week than the second so I didn't give as much time to the growers in semi 2 compared to the first one.

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post 28th June 2020, 12:08 PM
Post #365
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421

I get that feeling that everyone is going to be so conscious of the bias that next contest we'll all be favouring the other semi! Guess it reflects best when people are unaware what they're doing.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 28th June 2020, 12:09 PM
Post #366
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

To be clear these stats aren't intended to call people out, there's not really anything wrong with being biased to one semi over the other (it could just be that way purely because of the songs from one semi aligning with your tastes much more than the other, TARO Bellamia's votes in particular look like a strong case of that which clearly overpowered any own-semi bias) - it's just interesting from a stats geek perspective to observe how clear the own-semi bias is on average.

Maybe I'll do this again next contest and see if people being more aware of this bias results in the difference being less clear laugh.gif

It's also occurred to me that the songs that qualified from each semi are, of course, determined by the other voters from the same semi in the first place, thus weeding out the songs least likely to be supported by countries from the same semi. Maybe it'd be more even if everyone voted in both semis (not suggesting that we should do that, just a hypothetical).

+Quote this post
jakee
post 28th June 2020, 12:15 PM
Post #367
Group icon
i thought you wore the hairpiece for style
Pronouns: ·
User: 47

bré reopening libraries accidentally!

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 28th June 2020, 12:31 PM
Post #368
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118

QUOTE(Bré @ Jun 28 2020, 01:09 PM) *
It's also occurred to me that the songs that qualified from each semi are, of course, determined by the other voters from the same semi in the first place, thus weeding out the songs least likely to be supported by countries from the same semi. Maybe it'd be more even if everyone voted in both semis (not suggesting that we should do that, just a hypothetical).

This is why, when I first pointed it out, that it makes sense for there to be a 'bias' towards the bottom as all songs in each semi have an amount of support that took them through that they wouldn't necessarily get from the other semi. I didn't find it all surprising that most of the bottom 8 at the half way point were from Semi 2, more so that most of the songs at the top were Semi 1.

+Quote this post
Harve
post 28th June 2020, 02:07 PM
Post #369
Group icon
Cśur poids plume
User: 4,718

QUOTE(Bré @ Jun 28 2020, 12:09 PM) *

Yes I hadn't thought of that! The semi participants collectively weed out the tracks they're not so keen on, but these could have been more popular with voters from the other semi.

It's generally not a problem because the numbers voting in each semi are (meant to be) equal, so the effect should cancel each other out. The only issue might be that tracks in the 'wrong semi' are hindered in the final, even if they make it.

I'm not gonna try and change my bias with this, but it's interesting to get confirmation that I do indeed have them. I'm gonna paste the entry list into LibreOffice without the country names, as I used to, though, as I'm certain I have a bias there that's a bit more unfair.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 28th June 2020, 04:46 PM
Post #370
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

interesting semi bias study there!

I think there is an inherent bias towards one's own semi - PROVIDING YOUR FAVES MAKE THE FINAL - because you hear them more than once. It has to be that way, as I currently rank songs the way I do eurovision voting, by giving them points out of 100, and judging the next song by previous points for previous songs so they end up with an overall ranking. If 2 are so close that it's a gnats whisker, I compare by playing one after the other to split them up.

With the final, I remind myself of the songs in my semi as I concentrate on the songs from the other semi and slide them in amongst the existing points out of 100, re-point any that have grown on me more (which is not as easy for songs in t'other semi) and then when Ive got the final 20 or so contenders I reverse-check play them from 20 up to 1, which sort of shuffles them naturally in the correct slots as some move up a bit and some move down a bit.

The final bias is mood - sometimes I'm in a pop-ho mood, sometimes I'm in a "looking for something different" mood, sometimes a "mellow reflective" mood, and this can change on a daily basis and during the day, depending on time, which is why a few plays spread out are better for sorting out bias towards or against songs where mood is unfairly going against some tracks.

I'm nothing if not methodical, and these days I buy my absolute faves off itunes (any that make my charts, I have paid for, and the countries entering them have got the artists a sale out of it, hooray!) cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Taftyłłł
post 28th June 2020, 04:57 PM
Post #371
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

I voted 9 from semi 1 and 8 from semi 2 this time. My 2 favourites were from my semi though. 'Josslyn' probably had an unfair advantage as I've been aware of that song for longer, even before this contest. Interestingly 4 out of the next 5 in my votes were from semi 1.

EDIT: Also was it just me or were Semi 2 countries a lot more pop orientated than usual? (and those countries voted the more poppier songs from semi 1)

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 28th June 2020, 11:39 PM
Post #372
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

I'm struggling to pick something this month!

I might give myself a kiss of death and send the ballad I love and just forego the qualifier, or send some Bulgarian gothic synth. I have so much in the vault that it's gonna be an eenie meenie minie mo situation!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 29th June 2020, 10:20 AM
Post #373
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

A very high semi-correlation oops mellow.gif I do remember thinking a lot of the songs from the other semi weren't great though. For me I think a lot of it is the fact that the songs I vote for in the semi very often get through (looking at the scoreboard, two of my Final top 3 wouldn't have made it if I hadn't voted for them) and I know that if I'd have been in the other semi, Silly People by Blanks would have gotten my +12 which would likely have propelled it into the Final to get my +18.

The way I rank my songs in the Final pretty much removes any bias as I rank all the songs initially and then listen to my Top 25 in reverse order and re-rank (generally the Top 25 contains all the songs I found remotely interesting as it does feel like there are often a lot of same-y songs that reach the final), so even if I do put the songs from my own semi higher to start with, the scorboard evens out on my second listen.

+Quote this post
imaduck
post 29th June 2020, 12:11 PM
Post #374
Group icon
(i've been drinking)
User: 18,675

I either spend 90% of my time listening to my own semi and then rush vote the final

or rush vote my semi and then spend time with the final.

I would imagine if these stats continue I'll wildly waver between semi bias and equality.

One deadline is hard enough, two kills me off most months.

I wish there would be a list of what qualified from each semi each month in the finals post, or a colour code or some shit like that.

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 29th June 2020, 01:41 PM
Post #375
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

oh i've remembered something *.*

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 2nd July 2020, 10:18 PM
Post #376
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Late but good winner! My 4 points to Altyr winning it for them tongue.gif

Not too surprised at my low placing, it did get a good Semi draw then!

Not bitter at all about REYKO coming top 10 in this whistle.gif heehee.gif

+Quote this post
danG
post 3rd July 2020, 09:39 PM
Post #377
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

For anyone who hasn't noticed, there is a Worldvision spin-off happening now - you've got the rest of this weekend to confirm if you want to join during the main contest gap.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 4th July 2020, 04:57 PM
Post #378
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

In case anyone was wondering why there hasn't been any news about the next contest yet, we are on our annual gap between the 5th and 6th contests of the year (which is meant to be like a month but is only actually a couple of weeks again due to certain contests overrunning x).

BJSC 126 will be kicking off around the time Worldvision finishes so in the mean time, anyone who hasn't already, come sign up for Worldvision, there's still another day and a half left and plenty of spots remaining! I'd recommend it even if you don't normally enter the spinoffs, it is a fun spin on Eurovision xx

(I still need to actually look for a song for it myself, lemme do that tonight magic.gif)

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 4th July 2020, 06:11 PM
Post #379
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

gah I could do without the gap given the circumstances! Happy to host an interim one tongue.gif

On that note...I'm hosting Club Bizarre 12 in the dance forum. You'll either love or hate the theme, & I'm planning to theme it a bit again. So come get hyped in the thread biggrin.gif

+Quote this post

19 Pages V  « < 17 18 19
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 16th May 2024, 09:14 AM