BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Cineworld to close all 128 UK cinemas
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Jαsє
post 4th October 2020, 10:19 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

So is this for good or..

My local Cineworld in York only opened in December 2019 so this is devastating sad.gif It was one of the few Cineworld's in the UK to have the VIP experience too.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 4th October 2020, 11:38 PM
Post #22
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(Jαsє @ Oct 4 2020, 11:19 PM) *
So is this for good or..

My local Cineworld in York only opened in December 2019 so this is devastating sad.gif It was one of the few Cineworld's in the UK to have the VIP experience too.

They will lay all the staff off and run with the skeleton crew in head office to keep the company going ot seems.

The problem here is the studios, if there are no big releases for 6 months what's going to attract people to cinemas?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 5th October 2020, 04:01 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

My local is Cineworld, I'm a regular supporter of cinema, and a bit pissed so I'm not going as planned to see Bill & Ted today in protest. I understand why they've done it, to stop losing cash, but if Odeon stays open in the next town I'll switch to that one instead. Whether or not I go to see Bond depends on what happens to UK cinemas. If Cineworld open again, I'll go, if they don't I won't. If the movie industry wants to make megabucks then they need to learn to support cinemas, cos what it really means if they don't is the End of the expensive Blockbuster (ie the sort of films I love) in favour of lower-budget films that can make a profit from less venues.

Those of us with long memories can recall a time when TV killed off local cinemas in droves and you just had one or two big films in most towns showing on one screen and that was it. What that meant was huge films ran for weeks, and other films died a death. And that was hugely boring before multiplexes offered more choice....

+Quote this post
Hadji
post 5th October 2020, 04:15 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,386

I think they’ll reopen in December when the big films ie. Peter Rabbit 2, WW1984, Death On The Nile and Soul get released

This post has been edited by Hadji: 5th October 2020, 08:34 PM

+Quote this post
Juranamo
post 5th October 2020, 04:22 PM
Post #25
Group icon
"Everything seems different the second time around."
User: 5,830

QUOTE(Juranamo @ Aug 25 2020, 08:25 PM) *
I actually feel like Disney have well and truly screwed cinemas over with this.

What would be the harm in a billion dollar company putting it out to cinemas for a bit (bearing in mind they were also advertising it, via trailers, pre-lockdown) to give them a bit of a helping hand? Or at least giving the option of what experience customers would like?

Just leaving this here. Same goes for pushbacks.

The New Mutants: destined to bomb anyway (and still managed a 600k? [Could be imagining this] opening), and basing on the pushbacks, was not a surprise
Bill & Ted: Well that's on streaming already... I'm sure streamers could have waited a month or would have happily went out to the cinema (if that was the only option, at that point - everything gets a release eventually)
Tenet: has been a reasonable smash - maybe less than it could have been - but £5mil is a serious opening (and certainly more than can be imagined from streaming)
Mulan: obviously trying to hide a bomb, but would have helped out the cinemas

I mean, people are heading to the cinemas (in not exactly completely insignificant numbers) to see reruns of classics and Onward! You can release and support cinemas. Ugh.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 5th October 2020, 05:16 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Oct 5 2020, 05:01 PM) *
My local is Cineworld, I'm a regular supporter of cinema, and a bit pissed so I'm not going as planned to see Bill & Ted today in protest. I understand why they've done it, to stop losing cash, but if Odeon stays open in the next town I'll switch to that one instead. Whether or not I go to see Bond depends on what happens to UK cinemas. If Cineworld open again, I'll go, if they don't I won't. If the movie industry wants to make megabucks then they need to learn to support cinemas, cos what it really means if they don't is the End of the expensive Blockbuster (ie the sort of films I love) in favour of lower-budget films that can make a profit from less venues.

Those of us with long memories can recall a time when TV killed off local cinemas in droves and you just had one or two big films in most towns showing on one screen and that was it. What that meant was huge films ran for weeks, and other films died a death. And that was hugely boring before multiplexes offered more choice....

You're not going to see a film in protest when cinema needs people to more than ever?! That doesn't make any sense lmao.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th May 2024, 12:42 PM