BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Biggest shocks in BJSC
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post 14th June 2023, 08:35 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Inspired by this recent comment from gooddelta;
QUOTE(gooddelta @ Jun 14 2023, 09:15 AM) *
Already There is one of the big BJSC shocks, I agree - it sounded huge. I feel like it would have flown through the other semi and come top 10 in the final, so a true lost hit.

I thought it could be interesting to hear from others what have been some of the biggest shocks in BJSC over the years when it comes to songs that both DNQ’d when there was major hype for the song to do well, or when a song actually did qualify against the odds and went on to achieve a major finishing position in a BJSC final?

I’m not sure I could personally think of any immediately but I am sure others can so I’m interested to hear from you all!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 14th June 2023, 08:40 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

My favourite shock was in BJSC 95 when Vigiland - Friday Night qualified against all odds and predictions then went on to finish top half in the final.

And who can forget the infamous Ethanola entry Mutter coming top 5 in its semi.

This post has been edited by Dobbo.: 14th June 2023, 08:41 AM

+Quote this post
danG
post 14th June 2023, 08:56 AM
Post #3
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

In terms of shock winners I think either Aeroche 46 or Trifoski 56 remains the biggest, in both cases if I recall it was seen as a two horse race between the two songs that would eventually finish 2nd and 3rd throughout the odds and voting reveal.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 14th June 2023, 09:03 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

That neither Pinnacle or Wearing Nothing won BJSC despite being the clear best things entered that year

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 14th June 2023, 09:21 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

One in recent memory that I think of that was a personal shock for me in a good way was seeing a song I had tried to confirm as a potential that was already taken to go on and win by a substantial margin and that was Confidence Man with their single Holiday which Lookylion got to first! No hard feelings of course, just that I came very close to finding a winning formula there for the first time!

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 14th June 2023, 09:34 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

In regards to my entries definitely VNV Nation - When Is The Future? Because they had missed out in 21st first time round I was expecting it to likely Q but not do better than say low top 30 so for it to almost win was a massive shock to me.

I'll need to take a bit of time to think about what shock success for other nations there were as there was notably many that could be mentioned.

Farcs 130 Entry DNQing was a big shock as it had a lot of Q predictions and put down as a winner potentially!

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 14th June 2023, 09:46 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Agreed that that FARC DNQ a couple of years ago was super surprising too, I think I'd had it locked on for an easy top 10.

What's surprising looking back at Already There, which inspired the thread, is that actually only three people in the semi scored it 8 or higher - me, Aeroche and Taahino, so while it had very high odds from everyone at the semi stage (2nd in most), either that wasn't translating to votes, or more likely, most of its fans were in the other semi.

More recently, for me, the failure of Eliza Rose to win for Kath - it went to No.1 here a few weeks later and appeared in loads of personal charts of people who didn't vote for it, I guess for some it was a grower but I thought Kath was onto a landslide winner there.

Also, I wouldn't call it a huge shock, but I certainly didn't expect that Stevie Nicks song to win last year too.

For my own entries the biggest shocks was Uh Huh Her's Not A Love Song winning, losing the win on a tie-break on two separate occasions (Delta and Freya), DJ Kent's Spin My World, Daithi's Mary Keanes Introduction and Mira Craig's Headhunted DNQ'ing, and the subsequent chart success of some of my entries (Boys & Girls, Take Me To Church, Shut Up and Dance, Lost Without You, Caro Emerald's album success etc), Andy Duguid's 7even finishing 15th when it had been predicted to win, Pixie Paris' Es Rappelt Im Karton and Bart and Baker's We Are What We Are making the top 20 (I thought both would DNQ), Spacetrain's Salsa Me topping the semi final and finishing bottom five in the final, coming second four times in the space of a year, on one occasion with a song I thought might not even get out of its semi (Voryva).

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 14th June 2023, 09:49 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Jun 14 2023, 10:46 AM) *
Spacetrain's Salsa Me topping the semi final and finishing bottom five in the final

Ah yes this has to be one of the craziest results in BJSC history. I'm still unsure how all the support evaporated to that extent, must be the best example of right semi syndrome ever.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 14th June 2023, 09:52 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Dobbo. @ Jun 14 2023, 10:49 AM) *
Ah yes this has to be one of the craziest results in BJSC history. I'm still unsure how all the support evaporated to that extent, must be the best example of right semi syndrome ever.

It's odd because I wasn't actually surprised at its bottom five finish as didn't expect much from it. To see it had topped the semi was a huge shock, I massively lucked out with the draw that month.

Definitely one of the most dramatic regressions, although others have suffered similar fates with songs that have finished top three in the semi and then tanked.

+Quote this post
witchsting
post 14th June 2023, 10:05 AM
Post #10
Group icon
CROWN THE WITCH
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

doechii's Crazy NQing

+Quote this post
Jade
post 14th June 2023, 10:09 AM
Post #11
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

I hosted the final of 89 and was shocked that ‘Relax’ by Crystal Waters ended up winning as it wasn’t really mentioned as a contender, its odds weren’t great!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 14th June 2023, 02:16 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Gia, do you know the order of the solos?
User: 21,308

everyone pinpoints Already There as one of the big shocks but the Flight Facilities song that Harmonica sent the year after was also another huge notable shock, it almost made me think it was gonna be a yearly tradition

as for my own entries I do think “Leave This Place” and “Agolo” are the ones that I go back to and Bava reaching top 10 this past contest threw me off. I guess I have to count Third Party winning bc everyone expected Eliza Rose to win and she later smashed irl so… did I really deserve to win that month? thinking.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 14th June 2023, 04:03 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Eliza Rose not winning (in retrospect). It was a grower, for 100%, and subtle, and that often works against some entries initially.

Did Animals win? That was an instant pop gem for me and future chart-topper.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 14th June 2023, 04:13 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jun 14 2023, 05:03 PM) *
Eliza Rose not winning (in retrospect). It was a grower, for 100%, and subtle, and that often works against some entries initially.

Did Animals win? That was an instant pop gem for me and future chart-topper.

I agree that growers suffer in BJSC, as many people only listen once or twice, although personally for me Eliza's track was one of the most instant songs of the whole of 2022.

Martin Garrix? It was only 14th. We have a patchy record here of projecting future chart hits though (some have done really well here - Someone Like You, Easy Love and Good Times were winners and UK No.1s, others less so - Royals and Somebody That I Used To Know tanked).

+Quote this post
danG
post 14th June 2023, 04:56 PM
Post #15
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Gecko also performed poorly in the final annoyingly for me (narrowly avoiding bottom five) but predictably suddenly grew on everyone once Becky Hill sang over it and the result being a big UK hit.

Little Talks also only finished in 20th and has since gone on to finish top 20 in Record of the Decade multiple times.

edit: Am I Wrong also did poorly in the final then went on to be a UK #1

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 14th June 2023, 06:16 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666

Not so shocked but kinda in a theme of BJSC songs becoming huge hits in UK shortly after it was sent here is Kungs vs. Cookin' On 3 Burners - This Girl which finished 7th in BJSC 83.

Also LP - Lost On You (Live) it kinda became a internet hit (if that term even exists) but it finished "only" 23rd in BJSC 85!!!

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 14th June 2023, 06:16 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Definitely my own most unexpected result was when Jean-Michel Blais and CFCF won. Has to be among the biggest surprise winners too as I don’t recall having any inkling that it would do so well.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 14th June 2023, 06:20 PM
Post #18
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

No one's mentioned for my money the biggest surprise winner - Hervé and Zebra Katz's Tear the House Up, I still find it quite unbelievable and it stands out quite a bit on the list of winners! (So High is close behind though)

For my own results, I've Been Secretly Falling Apart coming as high as 3rd was a real shock, I had had some vocal hype but I definitely didn't see an ambient, chillout song challenging for the win like it did.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 14th June 2023, 06:53 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Gia, do you know the order of the solos?
User: 21,308

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Jun 14 2023, 02:46 AM) *
Spacetrain's Salsa Me topping the semi final and finishing bottom five in the final
and then on the opposite side of the spectrum we have Lookylion winning with "What Now" after coming in 16TH in the semi

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 14th June 2023, 07:17 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I don't know why it sticks in my head but I'm drawn back to BJSC 111 where 'Química' by Bomba Estereo was predicted by a few people to win (or at least finish in the Top 5) and then ended up finishing in 31st!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 16th May 2024, 09:54 AM