BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Noughties TV that could never be made today
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Scene
post 16th April 2024, 04:22 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

I've been watching a couple of 00s shows recently and the content/premise of some of them would not be aired today! I've started with a few examples (sure to add more) and I think most of them aired on Channel 4 which was very daring itself compared to other channels.

Balls of Steel
The show that inspired this thread. This aired on Channel 4 in the mid 00s and featured various daredevil acts competing each week from sh*ggers in public to an annoying devil causing havoc on the public. There's a lot of content that just would not be green-lit today and if so would probably have a backlash lol. Such as this clip:

Playing It Straight
Basically featuring a bachelorette who has to work out who among the guys are gay and eliminate them. It definitely played on gay stereotypes in the challenges but it was entertaining to watch since the audience didn't know who was gay or straight until they were eliminated. I doubt it would return today. Even returning back in 2012 seemed a bit out of place.

Ladette to Lady
Basically a school for "laddish" women who liked to party, have sex and get drunk. The concept seems very dated for today and fed gender stereotypes but nonetheless it was funny to watch!

There's Something About Miriam
Another bachelorette-style show but this time the bachelorette is a trans woman who doesn't reveal this to the contestants until she's chosen the winner. Never actually seen this as I can't find it anywhere to watch but watched a clip of the reveal at the end and it was awful to watch! The finalists were ****holes but for the producers to even allow the show to happen was truly scummy. Thankfully this would never be made today.

-

Would love to hear all of your thoughts/suggestions!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 16th April 2024, 04:24 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Oh definitely Little Britain, and it was removed from everywhere some years ago when it was deemed too inappropriate for the current generation. That said, some of the sketches, including Andy and Lou, were quite iconic and I do miss not being able to see these ones.

+Quote this post
Scene
post 16th April 2024, 04:28 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Baby Reindeer

Oh of course! I think it's on BBC iPlayer still as I was watching it the other week. laugh.gif An updated version of Little Britain would be interesting ngl. kink.gif

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 16th April 2024, 04:57 PM
Post #4
Group icon
‘psychedelic pop-infused’? Pull the other one!
User: 67,771

QUOTE(Scene @ Apr 16 2024, 05:28 PM) *
Oh of course! I think it's on BBC iPlayer still as I was watching it the other week. laugh.gif An updated version of Little Britain would be interesting ngl. kink.gif

It is. Some sketches were removed, but I think it’s only the ones with blackface. So you can still get your Lou & Andy fix, Wardy! laugh.gif

They actually did a new episode for radio in 2020-21 ish with some of the less offensive characters, it was quite good.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 16th April 2024, 06:02 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,585

Bo' Selecta! would be one. Another one that was removed from Channel 4's streaming service due to use of blackface.

Generally those sorts of sketch shows that poke fun at celebs really don't feel like they have a place anymore?

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 16th April 2024, 06:33 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

QUOTE(Scene @ Apr 16 2024, 05:22 PM) *
Ladette to Lady
Basically a school for "laddish" women who liked to party, have sex and get drunk. The concept seems very dated for today and fed gender stereotypes but nonetheless it was funny to watch!

Rosemary Shrager is iconic though.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 16th April 2024, 06:48 PM
Post #7
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Fat Families is technically just missing the 2000s, but I feel it certainly is emblematic of the sort of insensitive jeering a lot of shows did to people that clearly needed professional help, the host is just savage (also, please pay no attention to the uploader of this video x)

I think the X Factor is the big one, it lasted longer, but it fell dramatically in relevance since 2010. A lot of auditionees in particular were very clearly taken the mick out of without them knowing, it'd raise some serious mental health concerns these days.

+Quote this post
Hassaan
post 16th April 2024, 07:19 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 22,168

QUOTE(lewistgreen @ Apr 16 2024, 07:02 PM) *
Bo' Selecta! would be one. Another one that was removed from Channel 4's streaming service due to use of blackface.

Generally those sorts of sketch shows that poke fun at celebs really don't feel like they have a place anymore?
We had a revival of Spitting Image a few years ago but it didn't really work.

I thought the material was weak and it's difficult to poke fun at politicians these days...

Does anyone remember watching Supernanny? Now I'm older, I do question how many of the kids featured in that show were undiagnosed autistic/ADHD etc.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 16th April 2024, 07:26 PM
Post #9
Group icon

Supernanny (in various different forms) existed in America right up until 2020, interestingly. I guess COVID put a stop to it, I wouldn't be surprised if it's back at some point.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 16th April 2024, 09:10 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

Most Haunted maybe? Probably not a good example though lol. Bo Selecta is a good shout though.

+Quote this post
danG
post 16th April 2024, 09:37 PM
Post #11
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Australia’s Funniest Home Videos was a fave of mine as a kid, I imagine UK had something similar
couldn’t get made today as it’s be pointless now that social media is a thing (I see it ended in 2014 though I left the country long before then)

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 16th April 2024, 09:40 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
User: 21,587

It might not come under the same category, but for anyone whose watched Impractical Jokers, the four main guys have become very famous and easily identifiable now, so most of their practical jokes wouldn’t really work as they did before, which is a shame as they were some of the funniest pranks I’ve ever seen on TV! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 16th April 2024, 09:42 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Rob aah

Enjoy watching them. The movie however wasn't good oops.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 17th April 2024, 02:04 AM
Post #14
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

QUOTE(danG @ Apr 16 2024, 05:37 PM) *
Australia’s Funniest Home Videos was a fave of mine as a kid, I imagine UK had something similar
couldn’t get made today as it’s be pointless now that social media is a thing (I see it ended in 2014 though I left the country long before then)
You would think so, but America's Funniest Home Videos is still airing new episodes!

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 17th April 2024, 08:19 AM
Post #15
Group icon

QUOTE(awardinary @ Apr 16 2024, 10:40 PM) *
It might not come under the same category, but for anyone whose watched Impractical Jokers, the four main guys have become very famous and easily identifiable now, so most of their practical jokes wouldn’t really work as they did before, which is a shame as they were some of the funniest pranks I’ve ever seen on TV! laugh.gif

It’s still in production and still very funny! They film in tourist areas, so there’s still lots of people who don’t recognise them. And if they do, they just don’t show it. laugh.gif

It probably helps that while it’s a popular show, it’s only on TruTV and not *massive*. So for a country of 350 million people, there will be lots who have never seen it.

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 17th April 2024, 08:29 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

With Playing it Straight, I get the reason it wouldn't be made now, but back then I thought it was a very good show for calling out people who saw characteristics and immediately thought it meant the guy was gay or straight.

I'm pretty sure in both seasons the girl immediately got rid of multiple straight guys, because they care about their appearance.....

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 17th April 2024, 09:27 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(WhoOdyssey @ Apr 16 2024, 08:26 PM) *
Supernanny (in various different forms) existed in America right up until 2020, interestingly. I guess COVID put a stop to it, I wouldn't be surprised if it's back at some point.

Jo Frost was an icon

+Quote this post
Scene
post 17th April 2024, 11:48 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Baby Reindeer

QUOTE(Herbs @ Apr 17 2024, 09:29 AM) *
With Playing it Straight, I get the reason it wouldn't be made now, but back then I thought it was a very good show for calling out people who saw characteristics and immediately thought it meant the guy was gay or straight.

I'm pretty sure in both seasons the girl immediately got rid of multiple straight guys, because they care about their appearance.....

So true! I wonder if a 2024-friendly version could work today. Though tbf the whole premise of the gay guys being the deceitful ones probably wouldn’t work today. laugh.gif

Re: Supernanny - totally forgot about that one! Used to love it. But agree with the post about how a lot of the kids were probably neurodiverse.

Speaking of Channel 4 shows, would Wife Swap be made today? thinking.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 17th April 2024, 12:16 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

I think even The Inbetweeners wouldn't get passed today. It was probably the last big show that pushed the boundaries.

Also The Office would have no chance. Ricky Gervais even said in an interview recently there's no chance it'd pass nowadays.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 17th April 2024, 12:27 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Rob aah

Was going to say Inbetweeners but thought cause it was so popular that it wouldn't be a good suggestion lol.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 13th May 2024, 03:02 PM