BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> AF Idol Spin-Off • THE RESULTS
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 25th August 2020, 07:36 PM
Post #21
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I feel like Kim ended up 9th or 10th in my scores more than any other artist! drama.gif laugh.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 25th August 2020, 07:37 PM
Post #22
Group icon

11 | 0.49 S Club 7 and Solo

Best performer: Sweet Dreams My LA Ex (Round 10)
Worst performer: Breathe In Breathe Out (Swat-Team Version) (Round 3)

Sadly JUST missing out on the top 10 is my top-placed artist. Over the course of 12 rounds, we've seen S Club classics, which you guys seemed to really love, as well as a selection of their strongest album tracks, which you guys seemed to hate...! tearsmile.gif I was definitely disappointed at some of the placings, but heartened by others. Of course, Rachel's solo music has been utilised too, giving S Club both their best and worst results! laugh.gif Nostalgia or not, I'm pleased you guys found room for the classics in your votes - there really ain't no party like an S Club party! *.*

Round 1: 10th, 20 votes out of 40 - S Club Party (S Club 7)
Round 2: 6th, 18 votes out of 32 - Dumb Dumb (Rachel Stevens)
Round 3: 16th, 6 votes out of 39 - Breathe In Breathe Out (Swat-Team Version) (Rachel Stevens)
Round 4: 7th (tied), 17 votes out of 30 - Reach (S Club 7)
Round 5: 16th, 5 votes out of 25 - Bring the House Down (S Club 7)
Round 6: 3rd (tied), 18 votes out of 28 - Bring It All Back (S Club 7)
Round 7: 16th, 7 votes out of 25 - Stronger (S Club 7)
Round 8: 2nd (tied), 19 votes out of 28 - Never Had a Dream Come True (S Club 7)
Round 9: 2nd (tied), 17 votes out of 25 - Nothing Good About This Goodbye (Rachel Stevens)
Round 10: 4th, 20 votes out of 28 - Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex (Rachel Stevens)
Round 11: 16th, 5 votes out of 23 - Show Me Your Colours (S Club 7)
Round 12: 4th (tied), 24 votes out of 38 - Don't Stop Movin' (S Club 7)

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 25th August 2020, 07:40 PM
Post #23
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I really liked what I heard from Kim Petras! I hadn't explored her much before, so that was quite nice to see.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 25th August 2020, 07:40 PM
Post #24
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

I will NEVER forgive y'all for the dust you paid 'Show Me Your Colours' mad.gif mad.gif

A part from 'Stronger', I'm not sure what much else you could have done with S Club! Maybe more Rachel showings tbh (but I understand why you used her at the times you did)

EDIT: I'm not even joking when I say this, but EVERY album track on '7' shits on 'Stronger' :')

I really wish 'I'll Stand By You' was on Spotify cry.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 25th August 2020, 07:41 PM
Post #25
Group icon

QUOTE(Jonjoliday @ Aug 25 2020, 08:40 PM) *
I will NEVER forgive y'all for the dust you paid 'Show Me Your Colours' mad.gif mad.gif

A part from 'Stronger', I'm not sure what much else you could have done with S Club! Maybe more Rachel showings tbh (but I understand why you used her at the times you did)

EDIT: I'm not even joking when I say this, but EVERY album track on '7' shits on 'Stronger' :')

I really wish 'I'll Stand By You' was on Spotify cry.gif

I defo wanted Rachel to get a few chances but of course, there are many gems from the S Club album tracks! I was gobsmacked they did so badly but oh well!

and Stronger is excellent you heathen, that last statement is blatantly false x

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 25th August 2020, 07:43 PM
Post #26
Group icon

10 | 0.49 Gorillaz

Best performer: 19-2000 (Soulchild Remix) (Round 3)
Worst performer: Momentary Bliss (Round 6)

Gorillaz are an act that I chose because I figured that too many people hadn’t heard or had forgotten their gems beyond the big 3, that is, Clint Eastwood, Feel Good Inc, and Dare. And then I ended up sending all of those anyway, though they are big for a reason, because they’re all excellent. I also chose them because they’re one of my favourite acts ever, and as a minor cherry on top, have a neat place in Buzzjack AF history having started off the Inc tradition. Which is a little inexplicable as to how it’s persisted to this day but I’ll take it.

I do almost wish this was a video contest, as much as the songs are brilliant, a good lot of my enjoyment comes from the videos (I just rewatched them all and had to stop myself crying at the end of the El Manana video), but all I can say on that front is to encourage you to watch them in chronological order if you never have, you’ll have an eclectic mix of weird cartoon backdrops and cameos to enjoy.

All of that rambling is to say that a 10th place is a nice finish, I wouldn’t have wanted to do too well suddenly intruding on this, but it’s made me see how fun AF Idol can be, so I’ll keep paying attention to future contests now. I know that for a few voters, the Gorillaz song was towards the bottom of their votes most of the time, and that just made it all the more pleasing when I did get one through, I recall some nice comments about 19-2000 and Empire Ants in particular. I’m glad I got to rep Gorillaz throughout all of their eras and send a variety of very different sounding songs across the rounds. And I hope a handful of you made some nice discoveries or were reminded of a Gorillaz song you liked but hadn’t listened to in a while.

By the way, no I don’t regret sending Momentary Bliss and indeed that was one of the most fun rounds for me. Stay tuned for more beautiful pieces of music like that from their Song Machine, out only this year. I only wish I’d had the balls to send a song like that a few more times but I decided I wanted to not torture you too much. If you are one of those pop fans and you ever feel like being aurally assaulted in a fun way, look up Sweepstakes. I dare you.

(commentary by Iz)

Round 1: 4th (tied), 24 votes out of 40 - DARE
Round 2: 8th (tied), 15 votes out of 32 - Demon Days
Round 3: 2nd (tied), 25 votes out of 39 - 19-2000 (Soulchild Remix)
Round 4: 7th (tied), 17 votes out of 30 - On Melancholy Hill
Round 5: 10th, 11 votes out of 25 - Submission (feat. Danny Brown & Kelela)
Round 6: 14th (tied), 9 votes out of 28 - Momentary Bliss (feat. slowthai & slaves)
Round 7: 10th (tied), 11 votes out of 25 - Out of Body (feat. Kilo Kish, Zebra Katz & Imani Vonshá)
Round 8: 14th, 10 votes out of 28 - El Mañana
Round 9: 9th, 13 votes out of 25 - Empire Ants (feat. Little Dragon)
Round 10: 5th (tied), 17 votes out of 28 - Clint Eastwood
Round 11: 12th, 10 votes out of 23 - Rhinestone Eyes
Round 12: 9th (tied), 18 votes out of 38 - Feel Good Inc.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 25th August 2020, 07:46 PM
Post #27
Group icon

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Aug 25 2020, 08:43 PM) *
If you are one of those pop fans and you ever feel like being aurally assaulted in a fun way, look up Sweepstakes. I dare you.

(commentary by Iz)

Gorillaz did very well though overall! I'm so glad you sent 'On Melancholy Hill' wub.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 25th August 2020, 07:46 PM
Post #28
Group icon

I can't lie and say Gorillaz were my favourite act throughout, but I enjoyed some songs more than I thought! I think their best performer was my favourite so I'm good with that.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 25th August 2020, 07:49 PM
Post #29
Group icon

09 | 0.52 Coldplay

Best Performer: Princess of China (Round 3)
Worst Performer: Up With the Birds (Round 2)

I suppose given Gorillaz and Coldplay were pretty much joined at the hip for all of these results, it makes sense they both finish next to each other here. Putting this down to Buzzjack SEXISM as always *two male acts still to come* Welll....YOU ALL SUCK ANYWAY. I kid, this is none too shabby a position and given the general audience that voted, I think it can be considered a success. Despite how much I love them, I am fully aware they aren't everyone's cup of tea and so I tried to offer a rounded look at their back catalogue whilst trying to capture a lot of different dimensions to them to make some people reconsider. I managed at least one song from every one of their albums apart from Ghost Stories which all are fairly distinct from each other so I was pleased with that and I do believe I was at least partially successful in balancing their more experimental, alternative side, the balladeering, MOR side, the fun, more positive side and yes, also the total sellout pop moments, I needed people to vote for me after all xx

There were ofc. many other songs that I really wanted to send that I just couldn't fit in or I just got scared were too much of a risk (namely Midnight, Hurts Like Heaven and Hypnotised) and I suppose I had any regrets, it would be to take more risks on the free choice rounds. But even so, I was glad with how I did here and I was very glad to see some people who totally ignored them or I had never thought would like them actually give some good words or making a good discovery out of them (my highlight is definitely Joseph voting for a Coldplay song, never gonna let you forget that *.) which is obviously what this is all about. Thanks for all who supported me here, and do go and check out their newest album if you haven't already, it's not all like the entry I sent here. They may not be touring anymore, but hopefully their ever-changing style brings us more goodness in the future yahoo.gif

Round 1: 4th (tied), 24 votes out of 40 - Yellow
Round 2: 15th, 9 votes out of 32 - Up with the Birds
Round 3: 1st, 28 votes out of 39 - Princess of China (feat. Rihanna)
Round 4: 9th, 16 votes out of 30 - The Scientist
Round 5: 7th (tied), 12 votes out of 25 - Lovers in Japan (Osaka Sun Mix)
Round 6: 10th, 13 votes out of 28 - Violet Hill
Round 7: 6th (tied), 13 votes out of 25 - Major Minus
Round 8: 6th (tied), 14 votes out of 28 - Talk
Round 9: 11th, 11 votes out of 25 - Daddy
Round 10: 5th (tied), 17 votes out of 28 - Fix You
Round 11: 4th (tied), 14 votes out of 23 - Fun (feat. Tove Lo)
Round 12: 7th, 20 votes out of 38 - Viva La Vida

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 25th August 2020, 07:50 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Gorillaz! A shame we never got to see Stylo as that's a big fave of mine, also we never got Dirty Harry which is another all time fave wub.gif

10th is okay for them although possibly a couple of places lower than I'd have guessed at the beginning.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
Post #31
Group icon

Honestly Fun was a really good song, I'm quite happy for you to relish in that moment xx

(also I would almost definitely have voted for Hymn for the Weekend if you'd used that at any point!! Almost a top 10 hit in my chart ohmy.gif )

+Quote this post
Brer
Post #32
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Momentary Bliss being Gorillaz' worst performing song is a travesty xx

(not helped by that being the one round I forgot to vote, though of course my one vote wouldn't have made much difference)

Coldplay getting an average over 0.5 is a pretty good result! Obviously they were by far my favourite in this, coming 1st or 2nd for me in all but 2 of the rounds I voted in iirc, but I wouldn't have expected them to do any better than that so I won't complain x

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 25th August 2020, 07:51 PM
Post #33
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

Greyson last! cry.gif Not a surprise, but still sad to see! Dancing Next to Me is one of my favourite songs of 2020, but it certainly suffered in a round of classics and modern hits. It almost made my votes, I placed it 9th. cry.gif Joseph actually recommended Greyson to me last year, so I was already familiar with some of the entries. His Portraits album is excellent! Shut Up and Yours wub.gif

There were a few Maren songs I found pleasant, some which weren't my cup of tea. Dear Hate was a great discovery and The Middle is still incredible *.*

Hailee definitely did pretty well despite the fact she still doesn't have an album to her name! She's released some reliably good bops in the past few years, I'm happy that she featured in this!

I already knew and enjoyed most of Pixie Lott's singles; Doing Fine (Without You) and Champion were nice discoveries!

Kim was pretty consistent and enjoyable, but same as Joseph, she'd usually wind up placing just outside my Top 8 unfortunately! It was great to hear more of her music. Close Your Eyes, I Don't Want It At All, Heart to Break... music.gif

S Club 7 <3 A bit underappreciated at times; those album tracks were done dirty. Still, I'm pleased that the singles fared well, and on the whole Rachel's entries did excellently too! Nothing Good About This Goodbye is a gem heart.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 25th August 2020, 07:52 PM
Post #34
Group icon

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Aug 25 2020, 08:50 PM) *
Honestly Fun was a really good song, I'm quite happy for you to relish in that moment xx

(also I would almost definitely have voted for Hymn for the Weekend if you'd used that at any point!! Almost a top 10 hit in my chart ohmy.gif )

Of course that would be the one song of theirs I dislike lol xx

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
Post #35
Group icon

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Aug 25 2020, 08:52 PM) *
Of course that would be the one song of theirs I dislike lol xx

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote this post
dandy*
Post #36
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Coldplay were exactly what I'd have expected from them, a real mixture of things I love all the way through to things I really dislike! If there had been more singles/free choice rounds then I suspect they would have performed better, they didn't translate too well in the album track rounds.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
Post #37
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

QUOTE(Jonjoliday @ Aug 25 2020, 08:40 PM) *
I'm not even joking when I say this, but EVERY album track on '7' shits on 'Stronger' :')

No x

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 25th August 2020, 07:53 PM
Post #38
Group icon

Coldplay did very well, too. Although I lowkey expected them a couple of places higher. Actually if I was doing a prediction before the contest after knowing which artists were involved, I'd have probably switched them and Tinashe (still to come - omg)

The only act I couldn't vote for, most of my favourite Coldplay songs didn't get sent lol - 'Every Teardrop', 'Paradise'.. but I found a gorgeous discovery in 'Daddy'! So thank you for that one!

+Quote this post
-0-0
post 25th August 2020, 07:54 PM
Post #39
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

Greyson deserved to finish last tbh

+Quote this post
-0-0
post 25th August 2020, 07:55 PM
Post #40
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

I feel like Coldplay would have done better had we done a scoring system where we marked the top 8 based upon rankings tbh

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th May 2024, 06:17 PM